Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic (13679 Views)

Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / Jonathan - No Nigerian To Die Of HIV Henceforth / Widow, Daughters Die Of Food-Poisoning In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Manchidede(m): 6:37am On Oct 23, 2013
Onitsha-brigde-traffic

ONITSHA—Two persons yesterday died on top of the Niger Bridge, Onitsha in Anambra State following a heavy traffic jam on the bridge.

The victims, a middle-aged man and a little child, allegedly died due to exhaustion arising from the long hours spent in their vehicles while trying to cross the Niger Bridge which passage has for some time now remained a nightmare to both transporters and their passengers.

Vanguard sources, however, said that the deceased whose identities were not immediately known was a minor who was coming back with his mother in a commercial bus from Lagos, while the second victim, was a trader who travelled all the way from the North to Onitsha to sell his goods.

It was learnt that while the small child died instantly on her mother’s lap at the Bridge, the business man died minutes after crossing the bridge to Onitsha from the North. It was alleged that the child had cried for a long time due to heat in the vehicle while waiting to cross the bridge before the mother eventually discovered that her child was no longer breathing.

File: Gridlock on Onitsha Bridge

The bewildered mother was said to have become hysterical as she burst into tears running helter-skelter when she discovered that her child whom she thought fell asleep was actually dead. The trader was also said to have boarded the vehicle from the North and travelled smoothly until the Asaba end of the Bridge where they spent several hours under the scorching heat in an attempt to cross the Niger Bridge. An eye witness account said that the victim and other passengers with him in the vehicle had already crossed the bridge and was offloading his goods from the vehicle when he suddenly slumped and died.

The Federal Government had repeatedly promised in the last 10 years to build a second Niger Bridge to ease traffic congestion on the bridge which is the gateway from the Lagos and other South-west states to the South-east and South-South.

source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/2-die-exhaustion-onitsha-bridge-traffic-gridlock/

more updates at http://..com/

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Wizzy14418(m): 6:56am On Oct 23, 2013
To the dead,RIP...
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Zonacom(m): 7:18am On Oct 23, 2013
RIP to the dead. Funny deaths like this makes me think. The little child died for no just reason

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by peziz(f): 7:20am On Oct 23, 2013
chineke!!!! sad news.. rip to the dead. cry
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Tolexander: 7:26am On Oct 23, 2013
The victims, a middle-aged
man and a little child, allegedly
died due to exhaustion
arising from the long hours
spent in their vehicles while
trying to cross the Niger
Bridge which passage has for
some time now remained a
nightmare to both
transporters and their
passengers
i remember we were promised the 2nd niger bridge!

What is the situation with the 1st niger bridge?

RIP!

My RIP reserve is gradually getting depleted o!

2 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 23, 2013
The senators who have and is representing that constituency, the house assembly members, the governors past and present.

Woe betide them.

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Tuntheycr7: 7:46am On Oct 23, 2013
Manchidede:

. It was alleged that the child had cried for a long time due to heat in the vehicle while waiting to cross the bridge before the mother eventually discovered that her child was no longer breathing.

The bewildered mother was said to have become hysterical ./
Could I said that was a little negligence from the mother.
Mothers shud paid proper attention to their kids since they can only cry while in discomfort and cant talk.
RIP to both of them.
But why is our govt found it difficult fulfilling their promises?

3 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by abdulaz: 7:57am On Oct 23, 2013
our commercial buses with no proper ventilation, they'll still jam pack everybody with no space to even stretch ur leg, what a pity. RIP...
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by ifyalways(f): 8:02am On Oct 23, 2013
abdulaz: our commercial buses with no proper ventilation, they'll still jam pack everybody with no space to even stretch ur leg, what a pity. RIP...
True but not all.
ABC,ekene and co have spacious luxury buses but people would ignore then and go for small hiace buses with nothing but AC for 7 straight hours which is not good. Fresh air is needed when doing long distance trips and a luxury bus gives one that opportunity to alternate btw getting AC or fresh air.

May the dead find peace. Mothers however,ought to pay more attention to their kids when they cry.

3 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by TonySpike: 8:15am On Oct 23, 2013
RIP to the baby.

On a lighter note, I am very certain that a 2-year target of NGN 35 Billion (US$ 220 Million) via a yearly contribution of NGN 3 Billion (US$ 18 million) by each state of the South-East and Delta State can build a befitting Asaba-Onitsha bridge with superb aesthetics for the populace. I really don't know why this is proving so difficult to achieve...
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by simpleseyi: 8:24am On Oct 23, 2013
MightyThor:

Mod i recommend this guy ^^^^ for a ban for trying to start another tribal stifle here. or give him a warning let put a stop to this nonsense tribal bashing once and for all.

My brother from another mother, it is unfortunate that you are seeing it from that perspective, but my intention is far from that. My intention is to make South-Easterners and South-Southerners hold their leaders accountable and also stay home and develop their region. Jonathan has just been deceived by the Northerners to build Centenary City in Abuja, why Abuja again? All oil money is going to develop the North and the rest shared among jet flying militants. This fraud called Nigeria will end soon because lies cannot last forever. Let the South start developing its region, SW, SE and SS. there is no reason why Ibos will be "developing" Lagos, go and develop your Biafran Republic so that you will not be start from Level Zero when this fraud called Nigeria finally ends.

3 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by simpleseyi: 8:30am On Oct 23, 2013
Tony Spike: RIP to the baby.

On a lighter note, I am very certain that a 2-year target of NGN 35 Billion (US$ 220 Million) via a yearly contribution of NGN 3 Billion (US$ 18 million) by each state of the South-East and Delta State can build a befitting Asaba-Onitsha bridge with superb aesthetics for the populace. I really don't know why this is proving so difficult to achieve...

It is impossible because the governors are busy LOOTING. Two South-South governors bought private gets with the people's money. Ex-militant Government Tompolo just bought a private jet recently. Asari Dokuboh has built private University in Benin Republic. Mrs. Dezaini Allison-Madueke has a private jet too, Stella Oduah is busy acquiring the latest automobiles. Jonathan has 10 presidential jets. How will they be able to build infrastructures?

4 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by 4reigningqueen: 8:56am On Oct 23, 2013
Here we go again. Na so so bad news every time.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Lilimax(f): 8:56am On Oct 23, 2013
Manchidede:
It was learnt that while the small child died instantly on her mother’s lap at the Bridge, the business man died minutes after crossing the bridge to Onitsha from the North. It was alleged that the child had cried for a long time due to heat in the vehicle while waiting to cross the bridge before the mother eventually discovered that her child was no longer breathing.

The bewildered mother was said to have become hysterical as she burst into tears running helter-skelter when she discovered that her child whom she thought fell asleep was actually dead. The trader was also said to have boarded the vehicle from the North and travelled smoothly until the Asaba end of the Bridge where they spent several hours under the scorching heat in an attempt to cross the Niger Bridge. An eye witness account said that the victim and other passengers with him in the vehicle had already crossed the bridge and was offloading his goods from the vehicle when he suddenly slumped and died.

omg. cry cry
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by MrAboki: 9:02am On Oct 23, 2013
I wish I could blame Fashola for this... angry

@ Topic: The traffic at head bridge reach to kill person sha... I wonder why Road Safety will not just camp there permanently.. angry

The roads on either sides of the bridge are very wide, but the way Bus drivers and trailers drive and park indiscriminately on the other sides of the bridge is what it responsible for that gridlock. On one of my trips, it took me 2 hours and a few minutes to get from Port-harcourt to Head bridge. Took me another 2hrs to cross the head bridge from Onitsha into Asaba.. angry

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Coldfeet(f): 9:05am On Oct 23, 2013
I don tire for all this rubbish o!

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Erotex(m): 9:05am On Oct 23, 2013
SE & SS dont jus understand nigeria political philosophy.
Once the North & West are done in using oil money to develop their state they will divided Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by MrAboki: 9:08am On Oct 23, 2013
Erotex: SE & SS dont jus understand nigeria political philosophy.
Once the North & West are done in using oil money to develop their state they will divided Nigeria.

Thats why we must ensure that No Yoruba man or Hausa man becomes president ever again.. angry

Even if we have to use a military coup..

3 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 23, 2013
That bridge is indeed a nightmare .when ever I'm caught up in a traffic congestion at the Onitsha bridge, I always wish I had superpower to disappear or fly. RIP to the dead.

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Sermwell(m): 9:11am On Oct 23, 2013
Y
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Dhurmynick(m): 9:11am On Oct 23, 2013
That's nigeria for ya
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 23, 2013
thats excess carbon monoxide inhalation/

Anytime i drive in a car without AC and i am stuck in traffic for a long time, i get reALLY DIZZY

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by nerodenero: 9:14am On Oct 23, 2013
The Federal Government had repeatedly promised in the last 10 years to build a second Niger Bridge to ease traffic congestion on the bridge which is the gateway from the Lagos and other South-west states to the South-east and South-South.
When our leaders loot, the masses are always at the receiving end. Those deaths could have be averted if the Government of old and new had kept their numerous promises.When they fail in their promises, we suffer for it. Kill corruption and Nigeria will be a paradise. RIP to the dead

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by oduason: 9:18am On Oct 23, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Thats why we must ensure that No Yoruba man or Hausa man becomes president ever again.. angry

Even if we have to use a military coup..
And who are you to determine if a yoruba man/hausa man would not become the president.

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 23, 2013
simpleseyi:

It is impossible because the governors are busy LOOTING. Two South-South governors bought private gets with the people's money. Ex-militant Government Tompolo just bought a private jet recently. Asari Dokuboh has built private University in Benin Republic. Mrs. Dezaini Allison-Madueke has a private jet too, Stella Oduah is busy acquiring the latest automobiles. Jonathan has 10 presidential jets. How will they be able to build infrastructures?

very sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

16 Home Remedies To Relieve Constipation / National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging / COVID-19: FG Pledges More Support To Kano Govt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.