Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,307 members, 7,829,727 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic (13685 Views)

Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / Jonathan - No Nigerian To Die Of HIV Henceforth / Widow, Daughters Die Of Food-Poisoning In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by salt1: 1:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
KenDStar:

People are not bereft of common sense, you know.
Read all your comments on this topic and show me where your so called empathy is. There's no point coming online to mock people that you're not even better off. Since you claim to have served in Oba, Anambra State, you can attest to the quality of the Anambra State owned roads.

When you develop Ibadan, Ife, Osogbo, Akure, Ado-Ekiti, Lagos, Abeokuta, etc into world class cities, then you can come and complain about the performance of the SE, SS, NC, NW and NE governors but for now brother, keep your poorly disguised mockery to yourself.

And if you must know, Obasanjo was president for 8 years and Nigeria witnessed the worst degradation of federal roads from Lagos-Ibadan, Sagamu - Benin, Onitsha-Enugu-PortHarcourt, Abuja - Suleja, Ibadan-Ilorin, to even the gateway to Nigeria- the Badagry Expressway. Even the federal road that passes through Ota was in serious disrepair.

What I believe we should be discussing here is getting the Federal Govt to do its job otherwise the revenue allocation formular should be restructured and the States given a larger share and take over the responsibility for maintaining the current trunk A roads (Federal roads). It is only when this is done that I will hold state Governors responsible for the state of trunk A roads in their domain.

It hurts when another person points out the faults in your family, but truth must be told. A critic is a blessing if you acknowledge the validity of his criticism, even when it hurts.
The SE and SS governors can do far better than they're presently doing. Ndigbo are fond of investing heavily in other places while building a mansion as status symbol in their hometowns. Nnewi is already reversing this. So should other Igbos. Lest the civil war experience repeats itself.
Painful as it is, the Yorubas are at the forefront of reminding Igbos. Imagine Alaba moving to Owerri! Imagine Aba as the commercial and manufacturing hq of the eastern region. It can be done instead of wallowing in a pity-me mentality.
Anambra has produced the traditional leader that Ndigbo needs. Let's see if Ngige can do it again!
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by LordReed(m): 2:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
People should not underestimate the need to drink water especially in this harmattan period.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by oc2fish: 2:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
The construction of the second niger bridge was among reason for removal of subsidy. So what is happening.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Federal Government had repeatedly promised in the last 10 years to build a second Niger Bridge .

ASUU please continue your strike; this people are not trustworthy
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by KenDStar: 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
salt 1:

It hurts when another person points out the faults in your family, but truth must be told. A critic is a blessing if you acknowledge the validity of his criticism, even when it hurts.
The SE and SS governors can do far better than they're presently doing. Ndigbo are fond of investing heavily in other places while building a mansion as status symbol in their hometowns. Nnewi is already reversing this. So should other Igbos. Lest the civil war experience repeats itself.
Painful as it is, the Yorubas are at the forefront of reminding Igbos. Imagine Alaba moving to Owerri! Imagine Aba as the commercial and manufacturing hq of the eastern region. It can be done instead of wallowing in a pity-me mentality.
Anambra has produced the traditional leader that Ndigbo needs. Let's see if Ngige can do it again!

Salt1,

Nothing is hurting here. You simply miss the point.

The issue is not about 'Think Home' policy or investing in the homeland or otherwise. I support wholeheartedly that people should endeavour to develop this country. It's a shame when you visit countries that were in similar developmental stage with us in the 60s' and you see the level of their infrastructural development and you come back home to see us struggling with the basics.

That said, we must lay the blame where it lies. I refuse to believe that it's the responsibility of state governors whether in SW, SE, SS, NE, NW NC to build and maintain infrastructures belonging to federal govt. That is the issue here. I have never preached or supported 'self pity/victim mentatility'.

All I have said is that federal infrastructure should be maintained by federal government that recieves allocation from the Federation Account for the purpose of doing that and where the federal govt is incapable of doing just that, the revenue going to the federal govt should be slashed and more given to states and local govts to enable them carry out those tasks.That is the crux of the matter and if that is not addressed, I can assure you that at no point will Ngige or any other governor in Anambra or Delta State use the State resources to build a new Bridge across the Niger.

That blaming governors for responsibilities not their own is like me blaming Fashola for the faded paint of the private house I live in Lagos.Or blaming the driver for the mistake of the tailor. And that is where I disagree with my brother who claims that failure to build a new bridge is the fault of SE governors. No, it is the failure of federal govt.

As for the governors in the country, I judge their performance based on how well they execute their responsibilities. Unfortunately, most of us find it confusing separating the responsibility of one tier of government from the other.

2 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by GentleMimi: 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
[quote author=Tuntheycr7]
Could I said that was a little negligence from the mother.
Mothers shud paid proper attention to their kids since they can only cry while in discomfort and cant talk.
RIP to both of them.
But why is our govt found it difficult fulfilling their promises?[/quote
Haaaaa!! Finally!!. I've been wondering abt d source of my aches and pains! Pls deposit ur arrows and igbon with caution...i'm on bended knees: cool

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by kinguwem: 3:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tuntheycr7:
Mothers shud paid proper attention to their kids since they can only cry while in discomfort and cant talk.
RIP to both of them.
But why is our govt found it difficult fulfilling their promises?
The child was dehydrated. Mothers should give their kids enough water in warm weather. The mother was negligent. The child died from heat exhaustion.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by GentleMimi: 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
juman:

SW governors requested many times from federal government to take over the repair of the Lagos-Ibadan road, but the federal government refused to allow them do the road.

The federal government know that if they are reluctant to repair the road the SW governors will certainly take over and do it. That is certain.
akuko ifo(folk tale). You are really a juu man. Hw many fed roads hv ur governors repaired or constructed? I know what i went through when doing my internship at Ile-Ife! Guy wake up and smell the coffee

2 Likes

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by isaiahethan: 3:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
Useless leaders,poor people die daily the rich gets richer the poor gets poorer.wow,very sad story,Bleep the anambra state governor busy looting money for 2015 election.God please pour down your wrath on these leaders
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by adimsmt: 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2013
simpleseyi:
Thank you thank you my brother ,I have been saying the something all along What our regions are going through today is self inflicted we have built Lagos and Abuja what have we gain . they can't build a bridge across the Niger but they we build in Lagos or Abuja . My people its time to wake up let develop our region before its too late.

My brother from another mother, it is unfortunate that you are seeing it from that perspective, but my intention is far from that. My intention is to make South-Easterners and South-Southerners hold their leaders accountable and also stay home and develop their region. Jonathan has just been deceived by the Northerners to build Centenary City in Abuja, why Abuja again? All oil money is going to develop the North and the rest shared among jet flying militants. This fraud called Nigeria will end soon because lies cannot last forever. Let the South start developing its region, SW, SE and SS. there is no reason why Ibos will be "developing" Lagos, go and develop your Biafran Republic so that you will not be start from Level Zero when this fraud called Nigeria finally ends.
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by KenDStar: 4:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
juman:

SW governors requested many times from federal government to take over the repair of the Lagos-Ibadan road, but the federal government refused to allow them do the road.

The federal government know that if they are reluctant to repair the road the SW governors will certainly take over and do it. That is certain.

Interesting!

Let me refresh you a little. There was also a time when SE Govs met Obasanjo over the Bridge and he refused to allow them to build it. Obasanjo even 'commissioned' the construction of the bridge even when the design of the proposed 2nd Bridge was yet to see the light of day!
My brother, leave matter!
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by juman(m): 4:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
KenDStar:

Interesting!

Let me refresh you a little. There was also a time when SE Govs met Obasanjo over the Bridge and he refused to allow them to build it. Obasanjo even 'commissioned' the construction of the bridge even when the design of the proposed 2nd Bridge was yet to see the light of day!
My brother, leave matter!

Hmmm.
OBJ you mentioned make me sad. OBJ performance belittle and disgrace us as his ethnic group and as a nation. A former head-of-state that supposed to know what is right to do to make a country great but he failed woefully like that. Very unfortunate.

Anyway sha.

But todays world, I think the people (masses) can "force" the federal government to handover their critical infrastructure to them if the federal government is not ready to do necessary thing.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Kcinho(m): 5:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
icebeatz: thats excess carbon monoxide inhalation/

Anytime i drive in a car without AC and i am stuck in traffic for a long time, i get reALLY DIZZY
For the man classical thromboembolism from prolonged sitting in a person at risk of developing DVT. For the baby I will go for severe dehydration, shock depending on the state of health. before the poisoning. RIP to the dead.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by specco(m): 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2013
simpleseyi:

I did my youth service in Anambra state at km 11 Onitsha - Owerri Express Road, that is Grundtvig Institute, Oba, so even if I have not been on the Niger bridge before youth service at least youth service took me there. Go to Google and find out the length of Ikoyi floating electric bridge and the length of Niger bridge. Niger bridge is shorter than Ikoyi floating electric bridge. But, wait a minute, if you Easterners are not complaining about the performance of your governors, who am I to complain on your behalf. Sorry, for my poke-nosing, ENJOY THE FRESH AIR.

Every Yoruba speaking fellow tries to claim lagos even when they hail from osun, ekiti ati ondo hinterlands!
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by ibedun: 8:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
specco:

Every Yoruba speaking fellow tries to claim lagos even when they hail from osun, ekiti ati ondo hinterlands!

Foolish man LAGOS is Yoruba land isi-aki. "develop" it as much as you like in the figments of your imagination it stays the capital of Yoruba land.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by delpee(f): 9:00pm On Oct 23, 2013
Apart from the narrow bridge, traffic control at the Asaba and Onitsha ends of the bridge isnt good enough. I spent over four hours there last April. Someone in the vehicle couldnt help wishing for Lastma warts and all. Frustrating experience indeed!

Why cant permission be taken from GEJ by the Delta and SE governors the same way BRF did from Yaradua in respect of the Lekki -Ikoyi bridge and the Badagry expressway? Even Ikorodu Rd is a federal road yet Lagos State has always worked on it since the Marwa era.

1 Like

Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by dannewlife(m): 9:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
I am at middle of the gridlock now . pray I get home alive .
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by specco(m): 10:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
ibedun:

Foolish man LAGOS is Yoruba land isi-aki. "develop" it as much as you like in the figments of your imagination it stays the capital of Yoruba land.

The last time I checked, Ibadan was and is still the capital of western region. See how you display your ignoramus state of mind and betray those that toiled to pay your school fees. I refrain from stating how ...lish you are.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by nagoma(m): 11:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tuntheycr7:

I doubt very much the mother could have done anything under those circumstances. I believe the child had some ill health and the stress on the bridge was a tipping point.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by Vinsaint(m): 2:40am On Oct 24, 2013
God bless de british regime dat build
de one we are usin now. itherwise we
would have being swimin n drownin in
dat River niger. Dose ppl dat called dia self
rulers dont give a damn.

my God consoul de families of de decident.
Re: 2 Die Of Exhaustion At Onitsha Bridge Traffic by VivianWatson22: 11:43am On Oct 24, 2013
may thier soul rest in peace instagram likes free

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Help On How To Quit Marijuana Dependency. / National Hugging Day: Five Health Benefits Of Hugging / Improving Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant With Self Fertility Massage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.