Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,579 members, 7,820,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? (9073 Views)

Benson Idahosa And Bishop David Oyedepo Pictured Together / The Actual Declaration Of Bishop David Oyedepo. / Bishop David Oyedepo Barred From Entering The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2008
I am sorry sir but God's name was known.

I'm sorry ma'am it was not.

Exodus 3:13-14
13 "But" said Moses to God, "when I go to the Isrealites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' if they ask me, 'what is his name?' what am I to tell them?"
14 God replied, "I AM WHO I AM." Then he added, "This is what you shall tell the Isrealites: I AM sent me to you."

Why are we not praying in the name of I AM WHO I AM?

Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

It is by this name that Jesus identifies himself in John 8:24 and 28 and 58
24 That is why I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.

28 So Jesus said, "When you life up the Son of Man, then you will realise that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me.

58 Jesus said to them, "Amen, Amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM."

False. Read verses 24 and 28 . . . they have nothing to do with the name I AM. Its basic English, would these also qualify as being used as a name? -
I AM the bread of life John 6.35
I AM the light of the world. John 8.12
I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, yet he shall live. John 11.25

There are too many instances in the bible were the phrase "I AM" is used by mere men . . . were they calling the name of God?

"I AM WHO I AM" is "YHWH" but we know that the Jews had much reverence for the name of God that they dared not to speak it and would normally say "The LORD" it is by this that Christ was able to identify himself as "The LORD" in the language of his day and region. By this we know that he is "YHWH" "I AM WHO I AM"

Right on point there. But surprisingly Gen 32: 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Did God forget His name was I AM at that point?
I AM was the name under the old covenant . . . Jesus Christ is God's name under the new covenant . . . the name that carries the power to save from sin. That was the name not revealed in the old testament. 

Because the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is the SAME God that you worship. I hope so, especially if you call yourself a Christian.

You were too fixed on finding fault i doubt you even read through the post. Typical . . . i see u've abandoned your fruitless quest to justify unbiblical drivel and ignored the entire topic to pick on my posts. Becoming the christian version of ayinba1 i see.

The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever . . . Jesus Christ crucified, resurrected and is sitting at the right hand of God. He is the God who was and is and is to come. I'm not under any illusions who He is.

- There is a reason the early apostles were not praying "in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" . . . they already knew the name - JESUS CHRIST!
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 3:21pm On Jul 10, 2008
Well done boycotting my post mister! grin

But i have one more question for you: Who says these people (winners) don't pray or don't round up their prayers in the name of Jesus anyway!? angry

Please don't boycott this one Sir!!! grin
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Esss(m): 3:25pm On Jul 10, 2008
Who cares what they round it up with!!
They have already shared his glory with Oyedepo.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by madamkoko: 3:29pm On Jul 10, 2008
It is In the name of the of the God of Bishop David Oyedepoand there is nothing wrong with that. You hear phrases like the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of Job, the God of David and so on. This is because this men have identity with God and there are proofs backing this up.

So, why not the God of Oyedepo

This are men of proofs and for sure He will answer to u

So guys, step up and see the God of Bishop Oyedepo answer to you.

Amen

He is clearly one of the brainwashed members. How sad. I wonder what they give am chop ?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

Well done boycotting my post mister! grin

But i have one more question for you: Who says these people (winners) don't pray or don't round up their prayers in the name of Jesus anyway!? angry

Please don't boycott this one Sir!!! grin

Was that directed at me? Apologies.

Whether they end up their prayer in the name of Jesus is not the issue . . . the fact is simply as Esss said . . . they have shared His glory with man.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 3:31pm On Jul 10, 2008
Esss:

Who cares what they round it up with!!
They have already shared his glory with Oyedepo.

Oh please, don't be stupid! embarassed

Did Abraham, Isaac & Jacob share in the glory too!? undecided

Why don't you guys try not to be prejudiced & keep an open mind, for the love of God!? shocked

Cc: davidylan grin
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

Oh please, don't be stupid! embarassed

Did Abraham, Isaac & Jacob share in the glory too!? undecided

Why don't you guys try not to be prejudiced & keep an open mind, for the love of God!? shocked

Huge difference. Prior to that period the name of Jesus wherewith we might be saved was not revealed. Please show me where Paul, Petr, James, John or any of the apostles prayed in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

When some brethren were trying to pray in the name of the God of Paul he rebuked them immediately!
Was Paul not a "man of proofs" too?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 3:36pm On Jul 10, 2008
davidylan:

Huge difference. Prior to that period the name of Jesus wherewith we might be saved was not revealed. Please show me where Paul, Petr, James, John or any of the apostles prayed in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?

[b]When some brethren were trying to pray in the name of the God of Paul he rebuked them immediately![/b]Was Paul not a "man of proofs" too?

Proof?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

Proof?

1 Corinthians 1: 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 3:50pm On Jul 10, 2008
davidylan:

When some brethren were trying to pray in the name of the God of Paul he rebuked them immediately!

Agreed that @ that time, the name Jesus was not yet revealed, e.t.c.!

But my question still remains: Whilst they were praying in the name of God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob, were they sharing in God's glory!?

Knowing God to be a jealous God!!! tongue
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2008
davidylan:

In addition, agreed that @ that time, the name Jesus was not yet revealed, e.t.c.!

But my question still remains: Whilst they were praying in the name of God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob, were they sharing in God's glory!?

Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

Agreed that @ that time, the name Jesus was not yet revealed, e.t.c.!

They were not because at that time the name "Jesus" was not yet revealed. If i dont know your name i am perfectly justified to refer to you as Baba Dele no?

Did you even read Paul's own comments in corinthians or are you one of those who ask for "proof" and then pretend not to see it since it destroys your premise?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 4:21pm On Jul 10, 2008
davidylan:

They were not because at that time the name "Jesus" was not yet revealed. If i don't know your name i am perfectly justified to refer to you as Baba Dele no?
Did you even read Paul's own comments in corinthians or are you one of those who ask for "proof" and then pretend not to see it since it destroys your premise?

Well that is me, a mere mortal!

I'm afraid i cannot be equated with GOD & i hope you see where you've goofed in this argument all along!!

My submission is this:
If GOD in the least felt slighted that HIS glory was been shared by these people, whether justifiedly or not, HE wouldn't even have allowed it in the first instance, knowing how jealous we all know HIM to be!!!

My feeling is GOD was indifferent @ that time with Abraham, Isaac & Jacob and HE is, still, with Oyedepo!

The important thing i believe we you are missing is this:
Is Oyedepo as righteous as people believe him to be & whether it is the same GOD Oyedepo and his congregation even serve!?

And i believe these same questions must have been raised @ the time of Abraham & Co., thank you! kiss
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

Well that is me, a mere mortal!

I'm afraid i cannot be equated with GOD & i hope you see where you've goofed in this argument all along!!

I'm afraid sire, you don't seem to have understood my own premise.

yemivictor:

My submission is this:
If GOD in the least felt slighted that HIS glory was been shared by these people, whether justifiedly or not, HE wouldn't even have allowed it in the first instance, knowing how jealous we all know HIM to be!!!

God is a jealous God true . . . but He hasnt killed off every sinner yet has He? Why?

yemivictor:

My feeling is GOD was indifferent @ that time with Abraham, Isaac & Jacob and HE is, still, with Oyedepo!

I'm not a big fan of "my feeling" when we can easily crosscheck the facts in the bible. God wasnt indifferent in the time of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob . . . they didnt know better! They had no name whereby every knee MUST bow and every tongue confess that Christ is the Lord, they had no experience at golgotha, they had no idea what the blood of Christ meant . . .

Now we do know that name, we understand the importance of that name . . . we know what we obtain in that name . . . how then should we equate ourselves with those who never knew and think that we shall be judged equally?

yemivictor:

The important thing i believe we you are missing is this:
Is Oyedepo as righteous as people believe him to be & whether it is the same GOD Oyedepo and his congregation even serve!?

Sire, Samuel thought Aminadab was the Lords anointed until God told him He doesnt see as man seeth. Our righteousness is the righteousness of God in us and not ours that we may have wherewith to boast.

- the issue is that Oyedepo has by his silence caused his brethren to stumble . . . using him as the standard bearer for righteousness RATHER than CHRIST Himself and His word.

yemivictor:

And i believe these same questions must have been raised @ the time of Abraham & Co., thank you! kiss[/color]

These questions were never raised in the time of Abraham. They didnt know any better.

Again i ask, did you read Paul's rebuke of those who were about to start seeing him, apollos and other brethren as the first step to God?

A true/genuine man of God is quick to say - was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2008
In summary, if i started my prayer like this:

O Lord GOD, Creator of all Heaven & Earth, Master of the Universe, GOD of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Thank you in Faith for answering my prayers positively, in the Mighty Name of JESUS, Amen!

Have i prayed amiss!? undecided
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by noetic(m): 6:56pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

O Lord GOD, Creator of all Heaven & Earth, Master of the Universe, GOD of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Thank you in Faith for answering my prayers positively, in the Mighty Name of JESUS, Amen!

I 'd like to tink u r an ardent fan of oyedepo beyound reason. cos all ur issues have been adressed by david n others.

there is no moral, spiritual, physical,ethical terrestial or extra-terrestial justification for consciously substituting the name of Jesus with oyedepo. as a matter of fact, his lifestyle and convictions dont impress me as a person. the testimonies abound concerning the "posperity" dictates of his ministry which negate everything I believe in.

And please dont gimme that crap, that he is an annointed man of God and as such I should not . . . . . read John1:12 to understand that watever right he has in God, so do I.

I refuse to be spiritually stupid
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
yemivictor:

You may or may not have prayed amiss . . . it depends on your heart which i cannot see.
When Nigerians/Winners chapel "cult" members pray in the "name of the God of Oyedepo", they do not say so in the manner you use the names of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob . . . (who are so used SOLELY because they were the founding fathers of the land of Israel), rather they do so in subconscious idolatry.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by globalman: 11:00pm On Jul 10, 2008
Abraham was a friend of God, cause of his undying commitment to him, of the covenant God made to him, because of his obeidence, in most churches, i heard the God of elijah, God of israel, God of jacob, and many others, , reason for that, these men havbe closae encounter with God, they walk with him and talk with himj, they heard his voice, because of the covenant God made with them, that to acknowledge, the God, they serve, now if bishop oyepode is being lifted up, by them saying, he need to know, it God, they are acknowledge, not him
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Lady2(f): 11:36pm On Jul 10, 2008
Why are we not praying in the name of I AM WHO I AM?

WOW!!!

My goodness. You don't know who I AM is then. If Jesus is I AM, wouldn't that mean that you pray in the name of I AM?
Let me break it down for you. If Jesus is God, wouldn't that mean that you pray in the name of God?

So Abraham worshipped a different GOD? The God that Abraham worshipped is not the God that you worship?

God revealed his name to us and his name is  I AM. Because God revealed his name, the Jews were able to tell that Moses was from God and had actually indeed been spoken to by God.
It is because this name was revealed that we are able to know that Jesus is the I AM as in GOD.

Jesus is I AM WHO I AM. When you pray in the name of Jesus, you pray in the name of I AM WHO I AM.

But that wasn't my point. My point is God revealed his name to us. That is how the Jews came to believe that Moses was sent from God.

Dude Christianity didn't come about to abolish the Old Testament. The Old Testament is revealed in the New Testament. Regarding the Old Testament as irrelevant is blaspheme.

False. Read verses 24 and 28 . . . they have nothing to do with the name I AM. Its basic English, would these also qualify as being used as a name? -
I AM the bread of life John 6.35
I AM the light of the world. John 8.12
I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, yet he shall live. John 11.25

There are too many instances in the bible were the phrase "I AM" is used by mere men . . . were they calling the name of God?

WOW!!!!

My goodness.

There is a difference between I AM and I am. Just like there is a difference in Son of God and son of God. Just like there's a difference in Spirit and spirit.

It is not plain English. The Bible was not written in English. The I AM used by Jesus in John 8:24, 28, 58 is the word used for God by the Jews. That is how we are able to say that in these verses Christ clearly lets us know that he is God.

You yourself have quoted these very same verses to the muslims to prove to them that Christ is saying that he is God, if he is not saying it there, then why did yo quote it for them?

I AM is YHWH and not I am ~Lady~

So you won't have a problem with me saying that I AM.
You won't have a problem with me saying that I AM WHO I AM.

Right on point there. But surprisingly Gen 32: 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Did God forget His name was I AM at that point?

How does this show that God forgot his name? If you ask me my name and I ask you why is it that you're asking for my name, does that mean that I don't know my name? God is not human he does not move to the way of man.

I AM was the name under the old covenant . . . Jesus Christ is God's name under the new covenant . . . the name that carries the power to save from sin. That was the name not revealed in the old testament.

And here I thought the name of God was Osanobua. It is the same thing. God did not change his name. He has never changed his name. He is not inconsistent. He won't go by one name here and go by another there.

You were too fixed on finding fault i doubt you even read through the post. Typical . . . i see u've abandoned your fruitless quest to justify unbiblical drivel and ignored the entire topic to pick on my posts. Becoming the christian version of ayinba1 i see.

The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever . . . Jesus Christ crucified, resurrected and is sitting at the right hand of God. He is the God who was and is and is to come. I'm not under any illusions who He is.

- There is a reason the early apostles were not praying "in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" . . . they already knew the name - JESUS CHRIST!

You are praying in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac,a dn Jacob. If the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is the SAME God that you believe in, you are praying in his name. Just because you don't open your mouth and literally say "in the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" does not mean you are not praying in his name.

I could care less about your being the one who posted. If this was any random person who posted this, I would have very well replied to it. You posted something wrong.
And look you changed your mind as you do all the time.

You said that in the Old Testament God's name was not revealed, yet you come back and stated this: "I AM was the name under the old covenant"
I thought there was no name. How then is it that there's a name of the Old covenant?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
Yet more drivel aimed NOT at seeking the truth but simply because it has "davidylan" as the post author. Why did you run away from the last debate?

~Lady~:

WOW!!!

My goodness. You don't know who I AM is then. If Jesus is I AM, wouldn't that mean that you pray in the name of I AM?
Let me break it down for you. If Jesus is God, wouldn't that mean that you pray in the name of God?

I AM THAT I AM was the name under the old testament . . . the old testament that was only valid for one yr by the blood of bulls and goats. The "name" I AM THAT I AM is not the name wherewith we can be saved.

The name under the new covenant is Jesus Christ. Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

There is a reason a man who walked with Christ for 3 solid years did not use the "name" I AM THAT I AM. Perhaps he understood something you wont.
When you show me were Paul or Peter prayed in the exact "name" I AM THAT I AM then we can start a discourse rather than all this silly conjectures u're fond of making.

~Lady~:

So Abraham worshipped a different GOD? The God that Abraham worshipped is not the God that you worship?

Was Jesus Christ not the same God who appeared to Abraham? Why did He not to die on the cross for Abraham's sin rather letting his generation slaughter bulls and goats for over 2000yrs?

Another silly question.

~Lady~:

God revealed his name to us and his name is I AM. Because God revealed his name, the Jews were able to tell that Moses was from God and had actually indeed been spoken to by God.
It is because this name was revealed that we are able to know that Jesus is the I AM as in GOD.

His name is Jesus Christ - the name by which EVERY KNEE shall bow and EVERY TONGUE shall confess that Christ is the Lord to the Glory of the Father.

~Lady~:

Jesus is I AM WHO I AM. When you pray in the name of Jesus, you pray in the name of I AM WHO I AM.

John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

John 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

What was His Father's name that Christ came with? I AM THAT I AM?

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

By what name do we have life? I AM THAT I AM? Why then didnt the old testament prophets have this "life"? Why did they still need the blood of a bull every year?

~Lady~:

Dude Christianity didn't come about to abolish the Old Testament. The Old Testament is revealed in the New Testament. Regarding the Old Testament as irrelevant is blaspheme.

The seal of the old testament was the blood of bulls and goats . . . is it still relevant today?

The old testament was a shadow of the new testament to come . . . it is no more as relevant today as me going to Shilloh every yr to slaughter my repentance goat.

Paul puts it more eloquently - Hebrews 10:1 For the law (old covenant) having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

If the old law could not make us perfect, why is it still relevant?

Paul then puts the nail on the head - Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law (old covenant), but under grace (new covenant).

Please when you have another charge of blasphemy lay it at the feet of Apostle Paul.

Lastly i need to make a quick correction - I AM THAT I AM i mentioned as the "name" under the old covenant . . . i should rephrase that to mean God's title under the old covenant.

The rest of your aimless conjecture bereft of actual scriptural backing i will leave aside.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 11, 2008
Just one last aside -

God's titles also include - Jehovah Jireh, Jehovah elohim, Jehovah Raphae . . . which of those titles did Christ tell you every knee would bow to?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Lady2(f): 12:33am On Jul 11, 2008
David why are you now saying that I AM THAT I AM is the name if God in the Old Covenant.
I thought his name was not unknown, how is it now that it is known?

You completely missed that part.

Let me remind you on your own point:
prior to the new testament God's name remained unknown

How is it that God's name is all of a sudden known to us. Did the Bible change in two days?

God's titles also include - Jehovah Jireh, Jehovah elohim, Jehovah Raphae . . . which of those titles did Christ tell you every knee would bow to?

All of them. If Jesus is God and God is called Jehovah, Jireh, Jehovah elohim. Jehovah Raphae, then all knees bow at all these names.

I AM THAT I AM was the name under the old testament . . . the old testament that was only valid for one yr by the blood of bulls and goats. The "name" I AM THAT I AM is not the name wherewith we can be saved.

1. I thought the name was unknown
2. Yes it is.

If we really want to Get technical with it and use your reasoning, "Jesus" is not the name that we can be saved in. The name that we can be saved in is "Yahshua" seeing that Jesus was not known by "Jesus" but by "Yahshua"

Make sure that you keep in mind that the Bible is translated into different language. In yoruba the name we can be savd in is Jesu in Edo it is Ijesu.

Jesus is I AM and it is in his name that we are saved.

The name under the new covenant is Jesus Christ. Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Actually it would be more like Yeshua Christos for the remission of sins.

Another silly question.

Answer it.

Was Jesus Christ not the same God who appeared to Abraham? Why did He not to die on the cross for Abraham's sin rather letting his generation slaughter bulls and goats for over 2000yrs?

So you're saying that Jesus is not the same God that Abraham worshipped?

What was His Father's name that Christ came with? I AM THAT I AM?

Yes!!!!

By what name do we have life? I AM THAT I AM? Why then didnt the old testament prophets have this "life"? Why did they still need the blood of a bull every year?

YES!!!
Because God had not sacrificed himself?

So Jesus is separate from God?

His name is Jesus Christ - the name by which EVERY KNEE shall bow and EVERY TONGUE shall confess that Christ is the Lord to the Glory of the Father.

Jesus Christ is the I AM

The old testament was a shadow of the new testament to come . . . it is no more as relevant today as me going to Shilloh every yr to slaughter my repentance goat.

It is a shame that you think this way. No wonder you have no idea on the essence of God. You say the Old Testament is irrelevant, you say the law of God is irrelevant. Christ put it best when he said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish the law but to fulfill it." Mathew 5:17
You say the Old Testament is irrelevant, you say the prophecies about Christ are irrelevant.

Lastly i need to make a quick correction - I AM THAT I AM i mentioned as the "name" under the old covenant . . . i should rephrase that to mean God's title under the old covenant.

no need to rephrase, you already said what you meant.

Besides the Bible does not lie. Moses asked for the name of God and God gave it in the language of that time. God's name was always revealed.

If the Old Testament is irrelevant, why do you have it in your Bible? You should discard it because to you it is irrelevant.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 11, 2008
~Lady~:

If the Old Testament is irrelevant, why do you have it in your Bible? You should discard it because to you it is irrelevant.

I've made my point already, argue all you want (as usual not a shred of biblical evidence to back it up).

The above quote of urs of course seeks to deviate from the spiritual symbolism of the old testament to play on mere semantics. . .

I will use an analogy . . . the song of solomon teaches us what exactly? Why have you not discarded it from your bible?

The terms "old covenant" and "old testament" (the 66 books before matthew) are not the same terms. Mind the way you use them. The old testament BOOKS are relevant in the bible - in the sense that - 1 Corinthians 10: 11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Pls read from verse 1 of that chapter, it is basically a paraphrase of the wilderness experience of the children of Israel. They old testament is there to teach us valuable lessons as to how God deals with His people.

As for the old covenant - i stick with Paul's pertinent summary - Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law (old covenant), but under grace (new covenant).

As usual, twist it to ur hearts content.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Lady2(f): 4:05am On Jul 11, 2008
As for the old covenant - i stick with Paul's pertinent summary - Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law (old covenant), but under grace (new covenant).

one more time Christ put it best when he said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish the law but to fulfill it." Mathew 5:17

The law contains the ten commandments. If they are not relevant, which ten commandments are?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Nobody: 5:16am On Jul 11, 2008
~Lady~:

one more time Christ put it best when he said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish the law but to fulfill it." Mathew 5:17

Understand scripture in context not just run away with one verse . . . Paul was expanding on this point when he spoke here - Hebrews 10:1 For the law (old covenant) having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

The law was a shadow of the new covenant . . . the old covenant was mediated by the blood of a testator (bulls and goats yearly), the new covenant was mediated by the blood of the Lamb of God (one sacrifice for all forever!).

Now lets do a little reasoning, if the old testament is still relevant does it mean we have erred by not slaughtering our bulls and goats yearly?

Hebrews 9 gives an interesting viewpoint - 1 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary

Interesting - the old covenant had a worldy tabernacle (the Jewish temple), if it were still relevant today were then is this temple that our priests are supposed to visit yearly to purge our sins?

But the new covenant? - 11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Dear, the new covenant is now inside a more perfect tabernacle (we the temple of the Holy Spirit) made without hands.

That verse you misquoted was not talking about the old testament being any more relevant today but was simply saying Christ had come to offer Himself, the perfect sacrifice to replace that under the old covenant.

I suggest you read Hebrews 8-10 to fully understand the place of the old covenant.

~Lady~:

The law contains the ten commandments. If they are not relevant, which ten commandments are?

But the law is not just the 10 commandments only.

Under the new covenant the law is no longer in stone tablets hidden in the ark in a temple in Israel . . . the law is written in our hearts by the Holy Spirit. I quoted this to you on the other thread so i wont bother to repeat myself.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 9:02am On Jul 11, 2008
davidylan:

You may or may not have prayed amiss . . . it depends on your heart which i cannot see.
When Nigerians/Winners chapel "cult" members pray in the "name of the God of Oyedepo", they do not say so in the manner you use the names of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob . . . (who are so used SOLELY because they were the founding fathers of the land of Israel), rather they do so in subconscious idolatry.

I don't need you to be a fence-sitter right now! I need you to be conclusive!!

For the sake of this argument, let's take it for granted that my heart is pure & i prayed this prayer:

yemivictor:

Again, i ask, have i prayed amiss simply because i included GOD of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob in the opening lines of my prayer?

Don't forget to take for granted that my heart is pure, for the sake of this argument please!
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by KunleOshob(m): 11:44am On Jul 11, 2008
~Lady~:

That statment was before the death of Christ, here is what the bible as to say about the law after his death:
2 Corinthians 3:6
He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.

2 Corinthians 3:3:
3 Clearly, you are a letter from Christ showing the result of our ministry among you. This “letter” is written not with pen and ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. It is carved not on tablets of stone, but on human hearts.

This is not a contradiction of what Jesus said in matthew 5:17. What this means is that it is h spirit of the law that is more important and not the letters of it, in other wards our conscience should direct us as to what is right and what is the will of God. This what was said in hebrew about the law :
Hebrew 7:18
18For there is verily a disannulling of the law going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
So for those of you trying to stick to the law keep on trying. I would also like to remind us that there are 613 written laws in th old testament (not just the ten commandments) how many do we even know today talkless of keeping. How many of us offer burnt sacrifices today? it was part of the law. It is also written in the scriptures that if you want to keep one aspect of the law you must be ready to every single one of them.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by KunleOshob(m): 11:49am On Jul 11, 2008
More on the law and the new covenant

The Glory of the New Covenant

2 corinthians 3: 7-18
7 The old way, [b]with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away. 8 Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life? 9 If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God! 10 In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new way. 11 So if the old way, which has been replaced, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new, which remains forever!

12[b] Since this new way gives us such confidence, we can be very bold[/b]. 13 We are not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so the people of Israel would not see the glory, even though it was destined to fade away. 14 But the people’s minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ. 15[b] Yes, even today when they read Moses’ writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand.[/b] 16 But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by olabowale(m): 12:26pm On Jul 11, 2008
@~Lady~:

If you know that the 10 Commandments are still relevants, why then the do away with the circumcision laws, the no graven Image law, the God is jealous law, the no partnership to God law and the dietary law?

My darling, I have been trying to tell you this since we became friends. The operative words in the 2 sentenses that make the verse you quoted, Matt. 5;17 are think, come, abolish and fulfill. Read that verse again. The following verse confirmed the dire consequence that shall be the condition in the day of Judgement that will befall anyone that do the opposite of it and or encourage anyone to do the opposite.

I have been wooing you and I will continue to woo you to come to Islam. You can not make judgement on Islam because of Muslims. The arguments that you are having with one another about Bible verses can be found predicted in the Qur'an. You all read the same Bible, but disagree with each other on verses and even your Bibles are different in Contents. The Catholics have more Books, while the Protestants have less! This is an endictment for all to see.
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by Gamine(f): 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2008
Why should i call on someones God?

Calling on the God of someone else
clearly connotes a lack of relationship with that God.

Why will i call on Oyedepo's God
when i have a personal relationship with Him through Jesus.

i have never heard this prayer anywhere
all through my years in school, i never heard this prayer to Oyedepos God.

I dont know what church Madamkoko went to
they are clearly backwater, totally clueless and living dangerously!
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by yemivictor: 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2008
Gamine:

Why should i call on someones God?

i have never heard this prayer anywhere
[b]all through my years in school, i never heard this prayer to Oyedepos God.[/b]I don't know what church Madamkoko went to
they are clearly backwater, totally clueless and living dangerously!

Did you attend CU!? undecided

Gamine:

Calling on the God of someone else
clearly connotes a lack of relationship with that God.

It depends . . . does calling on the GOD of Abraham , Isaac & Jacob connote a lack of relationship with HIM!?
Re: In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? by olabowale(m): 1:12pm On Jul 11, 2008
@Gamine:

In your case you are calling on Jesus's God, instead of Oyedepo's. Darling girl, whats the difference? You have placed at least 1 barrier between you and the God you intended to call on in the first place.

Find a way to have a personal relationship with Him, the God that you intended to call on, not through Jesus being in the middle, but exactly like the personal contact and relationship had with Him. Thats what I do.

I am a muslim. So I am in the same league of worshipper, as Muhammad, Jesus, Moses, etc (AS). I do not erect any of them between me and God. I am inviting you to Islam. Join me, sis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

The Reason For The Resurrection - Joseph Prince / Meaning Of Cutting Firewood In The Dream / Demons: Your Invisible Enemies! ( Let's Discuss)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.