Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,539 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? (22971 Views)

Pork Fat Used In Shoprite Bread? / Norway Muslims Protest Prophet Pig Cartoon / 90% of Loaves of Bread include Enzymes from the Pancreas of PIGS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by obeenah40(m): 5:42pm On Nov 03, 2013
This Is evil Fa sad . Sha God knwz our heart and God dey!! smiley
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by mohammad11: 5:43pm On Nov 03, 2013
Ayoobscom: I'm disappointed by some people struggling to convince/mislead people with a senseless notion of PIG FAT IS DIFFERENT FROM PIG MEAT here. I don't know why people carelessly get confused and try to deep others in the same mess.

When Qur'an Kareem says pig meat is forbidden for you,what else do you need to know,you want Qur'an to go on even the intestine,the liver and the fat are also forbidden...common grow up!

Pig meat is forbidden means the entire organs,cells,fiber,lubricants,bones,hair,blood that makes up the animal PIG IS FORBIDDEN.

If your mother insists and warn you not to touch her car again ,excuse me, would you go on to ask her if you could remove the tyres and form own bicycle?
alhamdulillah, am happy with this post. Well said
let avoid the small that is inbetween d halal and haram.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by deols(f): 5:44pm On Nov 03, 2013
obeenah40: This Is evil Fa sad . Sha God knwz our heart and God dey!! smiley

That is not good enough.

We need shoprite to clarify things.

Shoprite bread shall be on hold until proven otherwise.
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by nagoma(m): 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2013
usermane: Good evening.
Theeni, i though you were asking a question, in the first place.
The verses of the Qur'an are precise.

Chapter 2, verse 173 tells us that 'dead animals' are forbidden. It didn't say 'meat of dead animals',hence we know that dead animals include their bones,fat or meat,all must be avoided e.t.c . But when it came to pig it didn't say 'pig' is forbidden, it said 'meat of pig' is forbidden. There is a difference here. 'Pig' and 'pig meat' are not the same. One is general,the other is specific.

Even the Qur'an distinguish fat from meat, considering them as two separate parts, mutually exclusive. This is evident from the fact that God prohibited for the jews, certain fats of cattle and sheep whose meat he permitted for them(Qur'an 6:146). Fat may exist in animals alongside with meat,but fat is not from the meat itself. Fat and meat could be separated,otherwise God would not prohibit fat and permit meat of the same animal as in the above verse.

If you want to be that precise chapter 2 verse 173 says the dead is forbidden ( the word animal was added by you).
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by obeenah40(m): 5:54pm On Nov 03, 2013
deols:

That is not good enough.

We need shoprite to clarify things.

Shoprite bread shall be on hold until proven otherwise.

I kinda solely depend on shoprite bread fa.. So I dunno if I can really put it on hold ohh

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by deols(f): 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2013
obeenah40:

I kinda solely depend on shoprite bread fa.. So I dunno if I can really put it on hold ohh

A Muslim would not want to eat haram. Are you a Muslim?
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Alameen3: 6:00pm On Nov 03, 2013
There is nothing cumbersome or rigid in the Holy Quran as explanations have been offered by Ullammahi, so don't be misled and don't mislead others. Pig is Harram and anything that comes from it is also harram. No controversy.

A tradition from the Holy Prophet (PBUH) below explains further:

From the Authority of Numan Bin Bashir "I heard the messenger of Allah say : "That which is
lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honor, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary,and truly Allah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly it is the heart."

Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim.

Let's us be guided, may Allah guide us.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by richP: 6:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
Why would anyone even eat pig-anything
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by obeenah40(m): 6:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
deols:

A Muslim would not want to eat haram. Are you a Muslim?

Does my religion matters ? Shey itz my body! I will still eat as I want even if they are using virgin's blood cheesy tongue
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Xion: 6:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
Don't go all religious on me, I'm not a Muslim and I don't like pig fat.
Let's not cause a market sabotage in the name of an unconfirmed blab.
Simply call Shoprite customer service to clarify things.
That's how it's done in saner climes.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by frankyychiji(f): 6:07pm On Nov 03, 2013
ceejay80s: Shoprite na bakery?
They buy & sell to us
they bake it there. U dont have to be an exclusive bakery outfit before u can bake and sell. Personally i dont like d shoprite bread cos its too thick. From d post, i can believe they use something really thick together with dough for d bread to be that thick. Even d original agege bread is not as thick. I am not a muslim but i would think that if u forbid pork, everything about it shd also be forbidden.

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by gramci: 6:09pm On Nov 03, 2013
#teamporkmeat cool

2 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by theripper3: 6:12pm On Nov 03, 2013
It is not wat enters into a man dat defiles him , but what comes out of him cuz out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh.

4 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by esere826: 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
Eiya,so no more queue at shoprite bakery ...good to know

3 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by waleadex(m): 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
This topic is a reminder of my curious days of wanting to know why swine is forbidden in Islam. I asked questions,made researches and I have got something to share here.

Religious restrictions on the consumption of pork are not in Islam alone but Jewish dietary laws (Kashrut). Such restrictions originate from the laws of the Hebrew Bible, and from the laws of the Muslim Quran, respectively. Among Christians, Seventh-day Adventists consider pork taboo, along with other foods forbidden by Jewish law. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church and Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria discourage pork consumption.

For the major purpose of this topic,to be a Muslim means that one sublimates one's desires, wants, and preferences so that they are in accord with the Sacred Law of Islam. Our Sacred Law is derived from several primary sources, the first, and foremost, of which is the Qur'an. The next source of guidance is the Sunna, or living tradition of Prophet Muhammad, the Beautiful Exemplar, Allah bless him and give him peace. After that, an important source of Sacred Law is the consensus of the Muslim scholars, who have devoted their lives to the study and interprete the Qur'an and Sunna.

The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur'an
The Qur'an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.
"Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah." [Al-Qur'an 5:3]
The above verses of the Holy Qur'an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible
The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus
"And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you".
"Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you." [Leviticus 11:7-8]
Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy
"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass." [Deuteronomy 14:8]
A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck due to its anatomy. To slaughter any animal, Muslims make an incision through the jugular veins, leaving all other veins and organs intact; thus causing the death of the animal by a total loss of blood from the body. This is similar to the Kosher laws of Judaism. Chemical analysis of this blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health.
There is evidence that eating pork has negative impact on health.

However,both Judaism and Islam forbid eating pork, as in the climate in that regions meat goes off easily. Since pork meat doesn't smell when it goes off one may not be able to tell, and get food poisoning.

Interestingly enough, chemical analysis of this blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health. Also, there are many harmful effects of the consumption of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham, bacon. Medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases as the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases as the pig's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body. I imagine that in antiquity it would have been noticed that those who frequently ate this meat were subject to various diseases and maladies.

9 Likes

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by frankyychiji(f): 6:16pm On Nov 03, 2013
slimyem: Who cares??

Everything created by God is all good. wink cool
even Buhari and Tinubu shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by DaPilgrim: 6:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
grin grin
Ayoobscom:

If your mother insists and warn you not to touch her car again ,excuse me, would you go on to ask her if you could remove the tyres and form own bicycle?

#falls off bed.
U fit kill persin.
Btw, I wonder how many people eat animals live. We all eat animals only when they are dead now.
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Idowuogbo(f): 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2013
Pig what? Ayama! Eewwwwh!

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by richP: 6:23pm On Nov 03, 2013
Waleadex
christians can eat anything..

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Alameen3: 6:25pm On Nov 03, 2013
waleadex: This topic is a reminder of my curious days of wanting to know why swine is forbidden in Islam. I asked questions,made researches and I have got something to share here.

Religious restrictions on the consumption of pork are not in Islam alone but Jewish dietary laws (Kashrut). Such restrictions originate from the laws of the Hebrew Bible, and from the laws of the Muslim Quran, respectively. Among Christians, Seventh-day Adventists consider pork taboo, along with other foods forbidden by Jewish law. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church and Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria discourage pork consumption.

For the major purpose of this topic,to be a Muslim means that one sublimates one's desires, wants, and preferences so that they are in accord with the Sacred Law of Islam. Our Sacred Law is derived from several primary sources, the first, and foremost, of which is the Qur'an. The next source of guidance is the Sunna, or living tradition of Prophet Muhammad, the Beautiful Exemplar, Allah bless him and give him peace. After that, an important source of Sacred Law is the consensus of the Muslim scholars, who have devoted their lives to the study and interprete the Qur'an and Sunna.

The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur'an
The Qur'an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.
"Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah." [Al-Qur'an 5:3]
The above verses of the Holy Qur'an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible
The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus
"And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you".
"Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you." [Leviticus 11:7-8]
Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy
"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass." [Deuteronomy 14:8]
A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck due to its anatomy. To slaughter any animal, Muslims make an incision through the jugular veins, leaving all other veins and organs intact; thus causing the death of the animal by a total loss of blood from the body. This is similar to the Kosher laws of Judaism. Chemical analysis of this blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health.
There is evidence that eating pork has negative impact on health.

However,both Judaism and Islam forbid eating pork, as in the climate in that regions meat goes off easily. Since pork meat doesn't smell when it goes off one may not be able to tell, and get food poisoning.

Interestingly enough, chemical analysis of this blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health. Also, there are many harmful effects of the consumption of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham, bacon. Medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases as the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases as the pig's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body. I imagine that in antiquity it would have been noticed that those who frequently ate this meat were subject to various diseases and maladies.

A very nice analysis.
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Dhotseal(m): 6:25pm On Nov 03, 2013
deols: How do we confirm what the brother said then.

We can't believe it just because he said it.

But the consumption of shoprite bread by many Muslims shall be on hold until it is proven otherwise.

BOOM! You did exactly what they wanted. Imagine if smbdy irked by the long line of shoppers waiting to buy the shoprite bread just decided to do some damage by spreading a rumor? Ok, it sounds far fetched, but very plausible. Have caught myself starring at d long lines and saying " what the bleep" with these people? Do doctors now prescribe shoprite bread. CIS dnt see why I should que up for hours for a loaf if bread.
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by waleadex(m): 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
DaPilgrim: grin grin

#falls off bed.
U fit kill persin.
Btw, I wonder how many people eat animals live. We all eat animals only when they are dead now.

Don't get him wrong,those slaughtered to death(are allowed) not natural death.

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by waleadex(m): 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2013
Alameen@3:

A very nice analysis.
Thanks brother!
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Theeni: 6:35pm On Nov 03, 2013
But why use pig-fat, are we in short supply of cow-fat?[/quote]

Because making use of pig fat is way cheaper and more economical. Cost of rearing pigs is way lower than that of cattle and sheep.
Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by LI(m): 6:36pm On Nov 03, 2013
If your doctor says, do not eat beef, does that mean you cannot eat the intestines of a cow? If you mother says, do not drive my car, does that mean you cannot wash the same car?

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Theeni: 6:44pm On Nov 03, 2013
Stånd: @Op....if your post is found to be untrue/false, What would you advise that Shoprite do to you?
Still wondering why a MOD has decided to put an unconfirmed allegation on FP.

There is something called consumer rights. You have a right to know the content of what you eat, what you use. And the thread is to confirm if it is true

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by ayenny02(m): 6:58pm On Nov 03, 2013
The Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta (FATWA)

QUESTION 17:
Pig is used in many industries and commercial products, especially its fat, marrow, and hair. Since lard

(Part No. 22; Page No. 280)

and marrow are used as catalysts, product labels do not mention them due to the small quantity that the law does not forbid. However, a Muslim cannot know these matters, and I wish to stress certain points since I am responsible before Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He). In most cases, there is no difference between the products sold here and in our countries. Some of the products including lard or marrow may be sold in our Muslim countries without a warning. Laws here oblige companies to list the main ingredients of their products. Unfortunately, there is no monitoring or accurate testing in our countries to check if prohibited substances are included in products or not. Generally, lard and marrow are used in the following industries:

1- Cheddar cheese: Such as Kraft's products as one of its top officials admitted on German television.

2- Jelly: which is a gelatinous substance used in producing many types of sweets and ice creams.

3- Many women's cosmetics, creams, toothpastes, and some toothbrushes that are made from pig's hair.

(Part No. 22; Page No. 281)

4- Some medical products, such as insulin that is basically taken from the pig's pancreas.

5- Some extracts taken from different glands of the pig are used in the pharmaceutical industry.

Is pig and dog hair impure?

Alcohol may be used as a solvent in some industries; therefore, can a Muslim perform Salah (prayer) in the clothes sprinkled with alcohol at work? I am asking about the tangible impurity of alcohol.

ANSWER:
If a Muslim is sure, or partly sure, that pig's meat, fat or marrow are used in a particular food, medicine, toothpaste or the like, it is not permissible for them to eat, drink, or rub it against their skin. It is better to avoid doubtful substances, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Leave what causes you doubt to what does not cause you doubt."

May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

http://alifta.org/Search/ResultDetails.aspx?languagename=en&lang=en&view=result&fatwaNum=&FatwaNumID=&ID=8530&searchScope=7&SearchScopeLevels1=&SearchScopeLevels2=&highLight=1&SearchType=exact&SearchMoesar=false&bookID=&LeftVal=0&RightVal=0&simple=&SearchCriteria=allwords&PagePath=&siteSection=1&searchkeyword=112105103#firstKeyWordFound

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by Paschal007: 7:01pm On Nov 03, 2013
Theeni:

There is something called consumer rights. You have a right to know the content of what you eat, what you use. And the thread is to confirm if it is true

Why not call their customer care or go to their office and clarify for yourself? That's if you're even a customer. Or do they have a customer care rep on nl that I'm not aware of? Mtcheww

1 Like

Re: Pig Fat In Shoprite Bread? by indoorlove(m): 7:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
I have to stop eating that bread for now until the truth is ascertained

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Addiction To Porn & Masturbation: Islamic Remedy! / Islamic Female Names And Their Meanings / Sheikh Mustapha Zuglool Is Dead And Buried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.