Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date (9982 Views)

Are You A Happily Married Man? Family Section Needs You / Family Section Debate::: Please Vote for a topic of your choice. / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 6:43am On Nov 16, 2013
Sapphiredamsel:

Tmama, e ku ise oluwa. Kudos for a job well done. Eyin debaters, this is going to be a swell of a competition, good luck

Thanks dear. How have you been?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 6:58am On Nov 16, 2013
ileobatojo:

grin

@ topic, interesting proceedings so far. smiley

Thanks Ile.

Welldone!
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 9:25am On Nov 16, 2013
last poster raises a new dimension to the abuse phenomenon... the abused as an enabler... unpopular but worth exploring

Abuse is wrong
Stop the cycle
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 16, 2013
When will the wait be over?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by DesChyko1(m): 10:25am On Nov 16, 2013
Hope the judges have the insight [as to on] how to check the quality of [the their] grammar? (and punctuations) because it's gonna be tough.
That being said, reading articles as long as that over and over is no easy task, not to [talk talk more] of putting [it them] together.. Leave the judges to do their work without [back-bites sentiments], and much kudos to the Contestants who put [the for putting their] articles together. I know how terribly stressful [it this is], but you did it..

Lesson: Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 11:15am On Nov 16, 2013
Dominiquez: When will the wait be over?

Very soon dear. smiley
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by boay(m): 11:23am On Nov 16, 2013
Kudos to all the contestants and the organisers
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by jaybee3(m): 11:27am On Nov 16, 2013
Madam cc na contestant 69? shocked shocked
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by boay(m): 11:28am On Nov 16, 2013
@ chaircover
weldone
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 16, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2013
nice retort CC,

But you have blamed everyone else but the abused

The abused typically have esteem issues granted but is it right for them to see nothing more of themselve than another human's plaything

Is it right that they sit down n stew in their own misery when they can take action

The debater rightly lays most of the blame on the abuser but says we should not absolve the abused who may act as an enabler

chaircover:

I disagree Biola. Not worth exploring at all

I would have loved to sit with contestant number 10 in a room and discuss in detail and have our own debate about this.

We are the ones who enable the abuse . . .ME and YOU ie the society as a whole and not the abusee

Many of the abusees dont know any better. They were brought up in faulty environments and you cannot give what you dont have.

Accepring to be treated badly by anyone all stems from low self esteem. You cant buy self esteem from the market; you get it from your formative years and as a woman you mostly get it from your own father.

The problem is How many of these fathers are available in the real sense of it? They are mostly on facebook and BBM chatting with other women, they are at beer parlors drinking with their friends and blaming traffic and saying that they are waiting for the traffic to die down before they head home. Some think that their presense is not needed so long as he puts food money and school fees down.

Many of them dont see their own kids during the week and instead of spending quality time at the weekends with their sons teaching them how to be men and their daughters encouraging them to be the best, they are at owambe parties in Ijebu and Benin. Sunday they go to church and their kins-mens meetings and then before you know it, its Monday and the cycle continues.

Apart from Eatries, how many family friendly places are available in Nigeria. I know because we struggle to find somewhere to take the kids to when we travel to Nigeria.

How many men take their daughters for walks & outings? How many fathers realy get to bond with their daughters? Meanwhile Building of self esteem starts from when you are a baby. How many even know what their daughters are doing or interested in their daughters lives? So long as they pay school fees and buy books, they think that that is all they need to do as a father.

How many fathers are even good examples themselves so the daughters know what to look out for when they want to choose their own partner. If daddy always comes back at midnight reeking of alcohol, wont the girl think its normal for her own husband to do so? If her own mother was beaten by her father, wont she think its normal?

It only when we start to behave well as parents,will be produce well behaved and well adjusted children. That is the honest truth

So we can sit here all day and say silly things such as "men are wired to by polygamous" forgetting that when we point one finger, 4 point back at us. Men are wired to be polygamous abi? I hope any man that says that will be happy if his own daughter is cheated on by her own husband or his daughters husband gets his secretary pregnant.

Im not debating o! just airing thoughts embarassed

Tgirl/ RR and to everyone who is participating. Well done smiley
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 5:52pm On Nov 16, 2013
Result has been released.

Contestant NO. 4 has been eliminated. All other contestants will proceed to the next round.

Well done guys.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 16, 2013
Congratulations to the contestants and all the best for the next round! Special kudos to contestant #5 whoever you are cheesy; strong work. First position very well deserved!

2 Likes

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by coogar: 6:12pm On Nov 16, 2013
ileobatojo: Congratulations to the contestants and all the best for the next round! Special kudos to contestant #5 whoever you are cheesy; strong work. First position very well deserved!

this famzing is suspicious.
i want to see your statement of account to be sure there's no recent deposit in it. grin
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 16, 2013
coogar:

this famzing is suspicious.
i want to see your statement of account to be sure there's no recent deposit in it. grin

Lolz! Hope the other contestants are paying attention? See me in camera for acct details! grin grin tongue
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by SisiKill1: 6:19pm On Nov 16, 2013
ileobatojo: Congratulations to the contestants and all the best for the next round! Special kudos to contestant #5 whoever you are cheesy; strong work. First position very well deserved!

SECONDED!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 6:21pm On Nov 16, 2013
contestant 5 wrote 2 essays.. his own and his link to Siena's smiley

Please give him a harder topic to argue for. it seems the argument against spanking is too easy sef
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 7:00pm On Nov 16, 2013
Update

Because we do not have equal number of contestants with opposing view, we will go with Plan B.

Topic for Quater Final

Sex before Marriage: Right or Wrong?

The successful contestants are to pick a side they would be debating on. Please mail me with your choice, it will be on a first come first serve basis.

Also visit the feedback thread to get the guideline for the next round.

Thank you.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by boay(m): 7:03pm On Nov 16, 2013
@ Tgirl
Please can you help those of us using phones like Nokia 3310. The result is blurr on my phone. I guess they are in image format. Thanks.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2013
Tgirl4real: Update

Because we do not have equal number of contestants with opposing view, we will go with Plan B.

Topic for Quater Final

Sex before Marriage: Right or Wrong?

The successful contestants are to pick a side they would be debating on. Please mail me with your choice, it will be on a first come first serve basis.

Also visit the feedback thread to get the guideline for the next round.

Thank you.

T, please can you clarify the bolded?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 7:32pm On Nov 16, 2013
boay: @ Tgirl
Please can you help those of us using phones like Nokia 3310. The result is blurr on my phone. I guess they are in image format. Thanks.

Okay.

RESULTS

1st - Contestant 5 - 109 points
2nd - Contestant 6 - 96 points
3rd - Contestant 9 - 91 pts
4th - Contestant 8 - 84pts
5th - Contestant 3 - 83 pts
6th - Contestant 7 - 71 pts
6th - Contestant 1 - 71 pts
8th - Contestant 10 - 63 pts
9th - Contestant 4 - 59 pts
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2013
ileobatojo:

T, please can you clarify the bolded?

It means if the first 4 contestants choose RIGHT, then the remaining 4 have no choice than to debate against.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
Good job contestants, judges and Tgirl.
I really loved contestant no.3

Chaircover why aren't you contesting?
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2013
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by TV01(m): 9:06pm On Nov 16, 2013
Well done to TG & RR for organising and moderating. And of course to our impartial panel of judges

Some questions for our moderators;

A.
Evidence: This has been cited as a basis - if only in part - for being awarded marks. However, I think we need to consider this carefully. many studies, most especially in the social sciences are often biased and undertaken with an ideologically based outcome in mind. It is often said that social science is not science.

Let me give a couple of examples;

1. Pharmaceutical companies sponsoring studies of drugs they sell. Enough said (and that is actually real science).

2. A study claiming 2 same gender parents raise children as well or better than two opposite sex parents. We are all "NetWise". A search for numerous studies for or against that notion will return in about 0.001 seconds. I don't believe quoting or lifting points from a web search is a debating skill.

Rather the skill is in articulating why one is for or against a point/position. Marshalling an argument and appealing to ones audience with experience, sound analysis and cogent points.

B.
Rules - an example here is the word limit; what is the sanction for transgression? Outright disqualification? A points penalty? Individual judges discretion or nothing. Like corporal punishment grin, it should always be clear what will be considered an infraction and what the subsequent punishment will be.

Thanks
TV
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 16, 2013
pickabeau1: nice retort CC,

But you have blamed everyone else but the abused

The abused typically have esteem issues granted but is it right for them to see nothing more of themselve than another human's plaything

Is it right that they sit down n stew in their own misery when they can take action

The debater rightly lays most of the blame on the abuser but says we should not absolve the abused who may act as an enabler

@ d bolded,

Why is no one blaming GEJ?

If u ask me , I wud say d government has some degrees of aids to render in sanitizing our local communities on abuses. Btw if jobs were created or other platforms where people can get busy by eengagingdem on outdoors activities, this wud go a long way to minimize d rate of abuses and being abused.

Example: if a man work 8-12hrs of d daily 24hrs and hv a compulsory sleep 6-8hrs. His available time Wud just b btw 4-6 hrs , minus bathing and other personal shores. What time wud he hv to abuse?

Joblessness is a key factor to abuses, if we must eradicate or minimize abuses, we must get busy with outdoor duties. Idle man's mind is d devil's workshop
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 9:14pm On Nov 16, 2013
TV01: Well done to TG & RR for organising and moderating. And of course to our impartial panel of judges

Some questions for our moderators;

A.
Evidence: This has been cited as a basis - if only in part - for being awarded marks. However, I think we need to consider this carefully. many studies, most especially in the social sciences are often biased and undertaken with an ideologically based outcome in mind. It is often said that social science is not science.

Let me give a couple of examples;

1. Pharmaceutical companies sponsoring studies of drugs they sell. Enough said.

2. A study claiming 2 same gender parents raise children as well or better than two opposite sex parents. We are all "NetWise". A search for numerous studies for or against that notion will return in about 0.001 seconds. I don't believe quoting or lifting points from a web search is a debating skill.

Rather the skill is in articulating why one is for or against a point/position. Marshalling an argument and appealing to ones audience with experience, sound analysis and cogent points.

B.
Rules - an example here is the word limit; what is the sanction for transgression? Outright disqualification? A points penalty? Individual judges discretion or nothing. Like corporal punishment grin, it should always be clear what will be considered an infraction and what the subsequent punishment will be.

Thanks
TV

Thanks for the questions. I will leave the judges to answer question A. As for B, I am glad you brought it up.

There is actually a penalty if you break the rules. Your mark will be deducted if you exceed the word limit. Remember this is the rebuttal stage, so there is still room to express yourself when answering queries.

Also note that any argument that gets to me later than 7.30 pm tomorrow would not be accepted.
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by TV01(m): 9:23pm On Nov 16, 2013
Cheers TG,

Interesting to note that the first four placers all debated the Spare/Spoil notion. First and 4th against 2nd and 3rd for. It looks like this is warming up nicely.

Best
TV
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by Tgirl4real(f): 9:41pm On Nov 16, 2013
TV01: Cheers TG,

Interesting to note that the first four placers all debated the Spare/Spoil notion. First and 4th against 2nd and 3rd for. It looks like this is warming up nicely.

Best
TV

lol

If it was just the 4 of you we wouldn't have needed a new topic.

lol
Re: Family Section Debate 2013 - Make it a Date by pickabeau1: 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2013
Not sure I get your point but everyone has to take a measure of responsibility for their (in) actions

If you stay in an abusive relationship, you also have a piece of the blame

Note I am not absolving the abuser

Violence has no gender

stop the cycle

ighoosagie: @ d bolded,

Why is no one blaming GEJ?

If u ask me , I wud say d government has some degrees of aids to render in sanitizing our local communities on abuses. Btw if jobs were created or other platforms where people can get busy by eengagingdem on outdoors activities, this wud go a long way to minimize d rate of abuses and being abused.

Example: if a man work 8-12hrs of d daily 24hrs and hv a compulsory sleep 6-8hrs. His available time Wud just b btw 4-6 hrs , minus bathing and other personal shores. What time wud he hv to abuse?

Joblessness is a key factor to abuses, if we must eradicate or minimize abuses, we must get busy with outdoor duties. Idle man's mind is d devil's workshop

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Mouka Foam Issues / My Wife Likes Sex Very Rough / How To Tackle Naysayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.