Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? (934 Views)

I Guess This Is One Of The Reasons My Wife Must Not Be A Stay At Home Mum / Are You A Stay At Home Mom Looking For Something To Fetch You A Steady Income / Does The Child Of A Stay-at- Home Mom Benefit More Than The Child Of A Working M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by infonubia(m): 6:14am On Nov 07, 2013
There seem to be a growing number of stay-at-home dads lately. These men do everything from dropping the kids off at school to doing the household chores. Once upon a time, disengaged fathers represented the typical pop culture parental stereotype. Of course, I'm aware that this belief still holds true in some parts of the world but but there's been a tremendous change in such views.

A 2011 census bureau report showed that among fathers with a wife in the workforce, 32 percent were a regular source of care for their children under age 15, up from 26 percent in 2002. Among these fathers with preschool-age children, one in five fathers was the primary caregiver, meaning their child spent more time in their care than any other type of arrangement.

Interestingly, these dads are not taking up the role of "Moms" but instead are carving a unique role for themselves as parents.

My wife wouldn't mind me being a stay-at-home dad as long as she makes enough money to take care of the family. Who's to say that stay-home-dads can't run a home business as well?

Can you be a stay at home dad? Share your thoughts!

SOURCE
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by temi4fash(m): 7:14am On Nov 07, 2013
i can only stay at home dad if m working and i av a very flexible schedule.... but apart from dat i cant b a stay at home dad......
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by quivah(f): 7:21am On Nov 07, 2013
CAPITAL NO.. angry nigerian men and society will abuse it!

Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by pomporiking: 7:34am On Nov 07, 2013
If ma wife was let's say nicki minaj hell yeah tongue
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by EfemenaXY: 7:53am On Nov 07, 2013
Nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home dad as it's done with the chid(ren)'s best interests at heart.

Having a parent with the child before and when they get back from school pays dividends. The kids are much happier and even more emotionally stable in the knowledge that dad loves and cares that much for them.

No amount of money made can replace the love and security a child feels from just being with them.

Having said that, this would be detrimental to the child's development ONLY if the parent in question isn't happy / fulfilled in their role. In that case, their negativity will rub off on their kid(s).

3 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by ciphoenix: 8:23am On Nov 07, 2013
Efemena_xy: Nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home dad as it's done with the chid(ren)'s best interests at heart.

Having a parent with the child before and when they get back from school pays dividends. The kids are much happier and even more emotionally secure in the knowledge that dad loves and cares that much for them that much.

No amount of money made can replace the love and security a child feels from just being with them.

Having said that, this would be detrimental to the child's development ONLY if the parent in question isn't happy / fulfilled in their role. In that case, their negativity will rub off on their kid(s).
Well said
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 07, 2013
So many stay at home dad in Niaja due to laziness and unemployment grin

But they don't wanna answer the name because of ego.
See them sleeping, playing computer game and still want to be served.

Orishirishi cool

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by pickabeau1: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2013
Yes
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by deeptesting(m): 12:02pm On Nov 07, 2013
have two kids and i have zero tolerance policy for housemaids so we don`t have one,my business permits me to have more time than my wife and as such i spend more time at home with the kids. Nothing brings joy to my heart and life than been responsible for the kids not just financially but been present physically. My greatest joy is the bond we share as father and children,i am proud of myself and most importantly the joy that radiates in the life of my kids. I only want them to be fantastic girls like there Mum.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by infonubia(m): 12:13pm On Nov 07, 2013
deeptesting: have two kids and i have zero tolerance policy for housemaids so we don`t have one,my business permits me to have more time than my wife and as such i spend more time at home with the kids. Nothing brings joy to my heart and life than been responsible for the kids not just financially but been present physically. My greatest joy is the bond we share as father and children,i am proud of myself and most importantly the joy that radiates in the life of my kids. I only want them to be fantastic girls like there Mum.

Great! I trust you are doing a good job at that. Good to know that you aren't just staying at home but u run a business as well. That's like killing two birds with a stone.
Wish you the very best as u continue to take care of ur lovely kids smiley
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by infonubia(m): 12:16pm On Nov 07, 2013
Chillisauce: So many stay at home dad in Niaja due to laziness and unemployment grin

Orishirishi cool

Those aren't really stay-at-home dads. I'm really referring to fathers who take up the traditional role of a mother while the mom works.
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by infonubia(m): 12:17pm On Nov 07, 2013
Efemena_xy: Nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home dad as it's done with the chid(ren)'s best interests at heart.

Having a parent with the child before and when they get back from school pays dividends. The kids are much happier and even more emotionally secure in the knowledge that dad loves and cares that much for them that much.

I concur with all ur points! You couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by infonubia(m): 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2013
quivah: CAPITAL NO.. angry nigerian men and society will abuse it!

The lazy ones, yes. But not all of us.
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by deeptesting(m): 12:31pm On Nov 07, 2013
infonubia:

Great! I trust you are doing a good job at that. Good to know that you aren't just staying at home but u run a business as well. That's like killing two birds with a stone.
Wish you the very best as u continue to take care of ur lovely kids smiley

Thanks.
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by EfemenaXY: 2:25pm On Nov 07, 2013
deeptesting: have two kids and i have zero tolerance policy for housemaids so we don`t have one,my business permits me to have more time than my wife and as such i spend more time at home with the kids. Nothing brings joy to my heart and life than been responsible for the kids not just financially but been present physically. My greatest joy is the bond we share as father and children,i am proud of myself and most importantly the joy that radiates in the life of my kids. I only want them to be fantastic girls like there Mum.

Not only is this such a nice post, it also restores one's faith in Nigerian fathers.

You sound well grounded and your wife is lucky to have such a supportive spouse - and your girls...Just you watch out, not even the skies will be able to contain their self-esteem when they grow up. I only wish many more Nigerian men would ditch the ego trip and take a leave from your book.

It is well.

Chillisauce: So many stay at home dad in Niaja due to laziness and unemployment grin

Orishirishi cool

Different kettle of fish babes. Those aren't fathers but bone-idle spe.rm donors.
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by deeptesting(m): 4:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Not only is this such a nice post, it also restores one's faith in Nigerian fathers.

You sound well grounded and your wife is lucky to have such a supportive spouse - and your girls...Just you watch out, not even the skies will be able to contain their self-esteem when they grow up. I only wish many more Nigerian men would ditch the ego trip and take a leave from your book.

It is well.

Thanks...Well that is not to say that we don`t have our challenges,it all depends on what you want out of life. I have been a child advocate from childhood, i love kids and have always seen them as a privilege gift. My love for kids motivated me to marry at a very young age immediately i left school,it was not funny for us but my love for children not just mine has kept me going and i can do anything for them...My kids are great, no day passes without them saying my Daddy i love you or i am proud of you and that brings me great joy. There Mum shows great understanding and does not take it for granted,when she has time like the weekends it is for the kids,no party, no weddings or visitation except the family is going out together. As a family,we have our differences, challenges,fights etc but certainly not with the well being of the children.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by infonubia(m): 5:29pm On Nov 07, 2013
deeptesting:

Thanks...Well that is not to say that we don`t have our challenges,it all depends on what you want out of life. I have been a child advocate from childhood, i love kids and have always seen them as a privilege gift. My love for kids motivated me to marry at a very young age immediately i left school,it was not funny for us but my love for children not just mine has kept me going and i can do anything for them...My kids are great, no day passes without them saying my Daddy i love you or i am proud of you and that brings me great joy. There Mum shows great understanding and does not take it for granted,when she has time like the weekends it is for the kids,no party, no weddings or visitation except the family is going out together. As a family,we have our differences, challenges,fights etc but certainly not with the well being of the children.
Nice! Worth emulating.
Re: Can You Be A Stay-at-home Dad? by damiso(f): 5:51pm On Nov 07, 2013

Awww you sound like a wonderful father. Well done.

I personally see nothing wrong with SAHD but when even SAHM mums are called liabilities It takes a couple who really are in sync, mature and progressive to make it work especially in Nigeria.Trust boku boku friends and family to keep poke nosing 'Ehn so your husband does not to go work na wa o'. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Never Say "Rape" In Presence Of A Lady / 5 Ways You Are Unknowingly Destroying Your Husband And Killing Your Marriage / Tip To Having Peace Of Mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.