Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,277 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

The Sunnah of Love - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Sunnah of Love (8493 Views)

Reminder: Sunnah Of Friday (picx) / The Sunnah Of Mental Focus / Sunnah Of New Born Baby , Scientifically Proven - BBC Article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sunnah of Love by tbaba1234: 11:44pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ali raḍyAllāhu 'anhu came home one day from a journey that he had been dispatched on by the Prophet Muhammed ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, to find his wife, Fatima, the daughter of the Prophet, radiya Allahu 'anha brushing her teeth with a siwak – twig of an Arak (Salvadora persica) tree used for brushing teeth. Spontaneously, he, raḍyAllāhu 'anhu, spouted out poetic endearment:

هنئت يا عود الأراك بثغرها … أما خشيت يا أراكُ أراك
لو كان غيرك يا سواك قتلته … ما فاز منى يا سواكُ سواك
Fortunate are you O twig of the Arak tree,
Have you no fear of me observing you in this embrace
If it were other than you…O Siwak! I would have killed you!
None found this fortune of embrace before me, but you.

I get emailed & facebooked often from couples trying to salvage and mend broken trust and exponentially inhospitable relationships. I usually respond within a couple of weeks, detailing my unwillingness to “counsel” from a virtual distance that begets unilateralism. Horror stories of infidelity, violence, and arrogance abound. Naturally, there is no greater issue facing the Muslim communities of the West that is more pressing and multidimensional than that of family relations.

The statistics are frightening, imams are untrained in effective counseling methods, mosques are under pressure, Islamically-oriented marital counselors are unheard of and professionalism in terms of confidentiality seem non-existent.

An important dimension of domestic marital problems, as I see, is that the Sunnah of Love and Gallantry seems to be overlooked or dismissed as a long-gone era. The Sunnah, that is taught at times, seems to overlook amazing instances of passion, valor, fidelity and sacrifice in the name of true love. Instances from the life of the Prophet sala Allahu 'alihi wasSalaam and his companions builds a comprehensive system of devotion – a Sunnah of Love.

Love. The real kind – the genuine love between a man and his wife that stems from a seed of love that is planted by Allāh in the hearts of those who are true in submission to the Dispenser of Love and Comfort.

A seed, literally and figuratively, in Arabic symbolizes love.

Houb in Arabic is derived from the same root for the word Haab – seed. The nature of the two words is functionally similar.

Love begins as a tiny speck – a seed that is buried deep in the folds of a receptive heart, carrying the potential of stunning beauty, nourishing sustenance, exotic delicacy, wealth of commodity, shading shelter, and resurgent growth that is stabilized through deep roots that withstand trauma.

Amr ibn al-'As raḍyAllāhu 'anhu was appointed by the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam to command an important mission. He was handpicked from many capable individuals who were in fact better than him. Feeling a sense of pride in being selected, he raḍyAllāhu 'anhu asks the Prophet, in front of a congregation of Sahabah about who he ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, loves? The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam responds in the way that all of our wives would hope we would respond, by naming his wife, Aisha.

Consider that the Prophet would teach, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, that if we love a friend, we need to let them know it. It was with this hope that 'Amr thought to ask that question after the favorable appointment was given to him.

Thinking that his question has been misunderstood he clarifies, saying that he meant from amongst the companions who did the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam love? The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam responds, “Her Father.”

He does not respond, “Abu Bakr raḍyAllāhu 'anhu.” His response alludes to 'Aisha raḍyAllāhu 'anha as she was still on his mind and in his heart.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by tbaba1234: 11:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
Love.

'Aisha raḍyAllāhu 'anha, al-Humayra – The Rosy Cheeked one, as the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam affectionately called her; Umm al-Mu'mineen – the Mother of the Faithful was loved and loved in return.

The Sunnah of Love is not whimsical or outrageously simplistic as you find depicted often in multibillion-dollar literary/theatrical sagas. No vampires competing with werewolves here. It is not ambivalent and shifty. It is built on mutual acceptance of the decree of the Divine in search of comfort, repose and peace of mind. It flourishes, paradoxically, in the mundanity of life. Finding fleeting moments of intimacy between stacks of dishes, soiled diapers, mounds of work emails, grocery lists and infinite commitments are its hallmark. A look that you receive as you rush out the door, a quick phone call itemizing how the day is going or an SMS that contains a list of groceries to buy on the way home punctuated with an I love You, are all indicators.

'Aisha raḍyAllāhu 'anha and the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam would use code language with each other denoting their love. She asked the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam how he would describe his love for her. The Prophet Muḥammad answered, saying: “Like a strong binding knot.” The more you tug, the stronger it gets, in other words.

Every so often 'Aisha would playfully ask, “How is the knot?” The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam would answer, “As strong as the first day (you asked).”

So I begin to wonder, as should you, about what has happened to our community?

Why is it so hard to speak frankly of one's love for his wife? Why is it “soft” for a brother to praise his spouse?

How is it the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam can kiss his wife, as he exits to leave his home to lead the faithful in prayer and some in our community find it difficult to just smile?

How is it that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam can stop a whole army, in times of hostility in a region of the desert that had no water to camp near, to look for his wife's misplaced bead necklace and some find it difficult to give a deserved compliment every now and again?
Since when is sternness considered leadership and harshness associated with married life?

How is it that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam can mend his clothes and look after the domestic affairs of his household, and a brother can't put away a plate, let alone wash it unless the wife is sick?

How is it that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam can forbid upon himself milk infused with honey so as to please his wives, who complained of its scent, culminating in Allāh revealing a chapter in the Qur'an forbidding the Prophet from forbidding the lawful upon himself, “Because you seek to please your wives (66:1).” Yet, some in our community will not even give the rightfully due to their wife?

How is it that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam teaches not to boycott a person for more than three days, and a brother can be out all day at work and feel apprehensive at the thought of returning home to a disgruntled partner who will give them the silent treatment over a petty squabble that has extended into weeks of dreary, isolating depression?

How is it that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam forbids a person to lead another man in prayer in his home without permission, yet some brothers due to constant bickering and negative criticism feel more like the help than the king of the castle?

Misreading the Sunnah, and not linking it to all matters of our life, including the mundane aspects is a justified criticism.

All of us learn through the course of our elementary studies of Islam that if you have no water, or if it is scarce, that you can perform Tayamum – ritual purification for prayer using sand or dust.

What you probably were not taught, and what was glossed over, was the fact that the permissibility and the legislation of that enormously important function were revealed because of the lost bead necklace.

You were not told that the love of the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam for 'Aisha resulted in him ordering a marching army to stop at a location without water and camp out at night with a dwindling supply of water for their consumption. Her father, Abu Bakr raḍyAllāhu 'anhu, was furious with her for mentioning what, to him, seemed to be a trivial matter.

You were not told how the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam ordered the troops to look for a necklace in the sands of the Arabian Desert, all for the comfort of 'Aisha. You were, probably, not informed how verses in the Qur'an descended upon the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam at such an occasion resulting in the joyous celebration of the Sahabah for the ease that Allāh has provided for our Ummah as a result of this occurrence.

That is the Sunnah of Love. You look after the near, even if it may inconvenience the far.

4 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by tbaba1234: 11:53pm On Nov 07, 2013
That is the Sunnah of Love. You look after the near, even if it may inconvenience the far.

You would have heard that the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam mended his own shoes at times. What you may not have heard was how once as he was sitting in a room with 'Aisha raḍyAllāhu 'anha fixing his shoes, 'Aisha happened to look to his blessed forehead and noticed that there were beads of sweat on it. Mesmerized by the majesty of that sight she remained transfixed staring at him long enough for him to notice.

The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam said, “What's the matter?” She replied, “If Abu Bukair Al-Huthali, the poet, saw you, he would know that his poem was written for you.” The Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam asked, “What did he say?” She replied,

“Abu Bukair said that if you looked to the majesty of the moon, it twinkles and lights up the world for everybody to see.”

So the Prophet ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam got up, walked to Aisha, kissed her between the eyes, and said,

“Wallahi ya Aisha, you are like that to me and more.”

That is the Sunnah of Love.

From the earliest days of Islam, 'Ali radiya Allahu 'anhu was a continuous witness of the life habits of Rasool-ul-Allāh ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam. He was a witness to Love.

'Ali, raḍyAllāhu 'anhu, arrived home to find the love of his life relaxing at home. No foreshadowing asserts anything special about the occasion or day. No fancy marketing to fleece customers of hard earned money. No gimmicks or convoluted infatuations promising a happily ever after proportional to carat size. It is just a man coming home after a long day at work. What he finds there is the greatest attainment any man could dream to possess, and hopefully retain – a wife whose presence fills him with joy.

The Prophet Muḥammad, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, said: “The world and all things in the world are precious but the most precious thing in the world is a virtuous woman.”

Virtuous, not, exclusively, in terms of the length of prostration or in devotion to religious obligations but rather as he, ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam, once informed 'Umar:

“Shall I not inform you about the best treasure a man can hoard? It is a virtuous wife who fills him with joy whenever he looks towards her.”

It is not love at first sight, rather exponential love with every glance.

Ya Allāh, put love between our spouse and us and allow us comfort and mercy in our home.

Ya Allāh, spread love and peace throughout the Ummah of Muhammed ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam

O Allāh grant us Your Divine Love

O Allāh grant us the love of those who Love You

O Allāh grant us the love of doing the things that earn Your Divine Love

Yahya Adel Ibrahim.

http://muslimmatters.org/2011/10/28/yahya-ibrahim-the-sunnah-of-love/

9 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by bntY: 12:48am On Nov 08, 2013
^This piece got my brain whirling.May Allah grant us that spark-filled marriage nurtured in atmosphere of love and ultimately catapulting us into jannah. Ameen.....Yes,Romeo-Juliet love is compatible wt piety!

3 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by tbaba1234: 1:01am On Nov 08, 2013
bntY: ^This piece got my brain whirling.May Allah grant us that spark-filled marriage nurtured in atmosphere of love and ultimately catapulting us into jannah. Ameen.....Yes,Romeo-Juliet love is compatible wt piety!

Ameen
Re: The Sunnah of Love by tbaba1234: 2:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
bntY: ^This piece got my brain whirling.May Allah grant us that spark-filled marriage nurtured in atmosphere of love and ultimately catapulting us into jannah. Ameen.....Yes,Romeo-Juliet love is compatible wt piety!

I don't like this kind of love o! Didn't they commit suicide?,... Aisha (RA) and Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) far, far better.

3 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by bntY: 8:16pm On Nov 08, 2013
^naa,aint talking abt that.I mean d compassionate,emotionally-rooted,unfathomable attraction btw man and woman.One whose force of attraction is somethin intangible and would not be marred by time or d inevitable friction of livin together.Their love radiates and even overflows enough to share wt others. Being muslims,they see things in d same light,hav common goals so effective communication via eye and body language,even silence is their forte.
#Clear enough?

1 Like

Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 7:10am On Nov 10, 2013
Thanks to tbaba for the exceptional piece. Jazakum.

The congregration is being led by leagues of chauvinists who believe the man should always look and strike fear in their wives. To say a simple sorry to their partners is a big issue and they back it up with their 'self inferred and twisted' verses of the Quran. All we hear at Nikkahs is that the wives should respect their husbands and always submit,submit and submit.... nobody talks about the love the husband is supposed to show to his wife. Marriage ain't only about procreating . Its about having someone you can always share your burdens and happiness with which in this case is your wife. You need to help her develop in her various endeavours, dot over her and protect her like a father would protect his daughter because you took over the role when you married her and you are responsible for her safety.

Some men harp so much on respect that i always wonder what kind of respect they want ? Is it the fear instilled respect(because she knows what bodily harm you can cause to her if she does otherwise) or the one which is genuinely inspired by your actions towards your wife?

I was listening to a sermon during the week and the imam narrated a story of how a follower of the prophet used to go fetching water and run errands to long distances all in a bid to protect his wife from harms way and not over stressing her as she works around keeping the house clean and preparing food. How many men will do such nowadays? Is it when they are clutching tightly to their remote control and watching tv? Na wife Na hin go go market. Na she go cook, na she go wash. There's a car in the house but you would tell her to take public transport or jump okada because you don't want to take her in your "toy" car to the market. It justs goes on and on. Sometimes i just wonder why people marry sef.

1 Like

Re: The Sunnah of Love by babylolaroy(f): 7:50am On Nov 10, 2013
Ama woman o buh lemme rush and defend the men
Sometimes a married man means well and wud love to love his wife forever. Buh it comes like when 'bukata' enters and dey start making kids who need money for this and that, the man gets frustrated and feels like the whole responsibilty is heavily upon him. What men of nowadays dont know is that they are richer than most of the sahabas of the prophet and even MUHAMMAD s.a.w himself. was there not a sahaba who had nothing as dowry for his wife except some verses of the quran?
were there not days when the prophet tied stones around his tummy to make him feel weighty against the pangs of hunger?
so many instances. if our men now can manage any condition. Give it when yu av it and be polite to ur wife when you dont. That way she will also learn to trust and pray for you and accept whteva yu give ha

Now to we ladies..We let men think all we want is money. They think a woman can marry a sill.y man if hez rich..lets rewrite that story because it shouldnt be.
lets be like our mother Aisha who was the poor prophet's wife
lets think of our mother Fatimah who was his daughter. they all went hungry togeda. Even i think av read somewhere that there was when fatimah had just one cloth..subhanallah! And she happily stayed with ha husband Alli without complains.

So Akhis wa ukhtis, if we learn to accept all situations together and making the best of our marriages, we will love our partners more. i believe it is money issue that causes bitterness which then remove the love in marriage

play a game together. the prophet did horse riding togeda. if however yu r one rich family den do this togeda. for instance if yu av swimming pool in ur house, swim togeda to see who reaches d edge of the pool first. etc
the bone of contention sha is that love ur wife genuinely and wives, love ur husband unconditionally

may Allah make the brothers here husbands like Muhammad and may Allah make we sisters here wives like Aisha or Khadijah

5 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 8:05am On Nov 10, 2013
@baby Being poor does not stop you from showing love. And your excuse for the guys does not hold enough water. I understand you are trying to be considerate but let the truth be said even ones that have all the money in the world still show these acts. It cuts across all strata of the community.

Some male muslims actually believe showing love to your wife is an act of weakness. That is their mentality. I am male and i know what goes on around me. Many evidence abounds on here also. Just check around and you see Guys complaining they are busy and they are concerned about making money for the family and can't just take 30 seconds in a day to call and check on their wives just to say hello or you love her. Loving her Is a responsibility and not a choice chore which you decide to undertake or not.

1 Like

Re: The Sunnah of Love by babylolaroy(f): 8:11am On Nov 10, 2013
noted sir!!!

buh i prayed for you..you cudnt take 2secs off to say Aamin?

1 Like

Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 8:24am On Nov 10, 2013
babylolaroy: noted sir!!!

buh i prayed for you..you cudnt take 2secs off to say Aamin?
Amin. So you see i took five minutes to say Amin. More time than even the 2 seconds you proposed. I actually didn't see the prayer. And please am no sir.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by babylolaroy(f): 9:53am On Nov 10, 2013
who is a sir?...are yu den a 'ma'?
Re: The Sunnah of Love by harmeenart(f): 11:53am On Nov 10, 2013
@babylaloroy: Ask the brother who cant spend time with his wife all in the name of making ends meet,that if he ever misses a salah on the most busy day of his life.A normal brother's reply would be no,and even if he does miss,it would be for geniue reasons accepted by the shari'ah.And I bet that as søon as he has the opportunity to,he would make it up.This is because it is a compulsory act and he sees it as a must.
Well,so is showing love and care to his wife.It is also wajib,and if he ill-treats her then he should know he would have to answer y to his creator too.May Allah save us from that.Amin
So,whether a busy man or not,try your best to show her love and care and Allah would ease ur affairs,and put love and mercy between u.Amin.

3 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by harmeenart(f): 12:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
@babylaloroy:I had to sharperly run back to say aamin to ur dua.Thanks.
And to the issue of mahr,does that mean I cant ask for a private jet (amongst the list)from him?Hmm av heard o. embarassed Ok,i'ld change plans o.
Wait o...But I think if he can afford it,then its not too much to ask,and he can top it wit a hajj ticket and recitation of some verses of the quran. grin
Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 11:26am On Nov 11, 2013
babylolaroy: who is a sir?...are yu den a 'ma'?
Not a sir to you. Just another young person like you. I guess the sir would be in appropriate.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 11, 2013
I really wish this kind of love still exists amongst us. it breaks my heart to see how marriages these days are; most times you feel the distance between the couple from afar. when you ask the brothers, they will say they want wives as pious as Aisha radiy Allahu Anha,yet they can't emulate the prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wasallam. I pray that Allah grant me,and my sisters here pious and loving husbands,Amin.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by babylolaroy(f): 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2013
harmeenart: @babylaloroy:I had to sharperly run back to say aamin to ur dua.Thanks.
And to the issue of mahr,does that mean I cant ask for a private jet (amongst the list)from him?Hmm av heard o. embarassed Ok,i'ld change plans o.
Wait o...But I think if he can afford it,then its not too much to ask,and he can top it wit a hajj ticket and recitation of some verses of the quran. grin
hey babe for our values and even islamically, nothing is TOO much as mahr. he can give yu whatever you want once he can afford it. mahr can be TOO small though. i think for present calculation, 2500# is d minimum. Thats hell too small for ME. i wont be trained all my life only for him to pay a cash i can spend in 5mins. what i want inshaaAllah is sahih bukhari and or muslim....i will read dem allll my life and teach it to my kids inshaaAllah
Re: The Sunnah of Love by babylolaroy(f): 6:23pm On Nov 11, 2013
onegig: Not a sir to you. Just another young person like you. I guess the sir would be in appropriate.
i refuse to agree with you. Any man is 'sir-able' just as all women are miss b4 marriage. Sir is an honorific address used as a
courtesy title to address a man
without using his given name or
family name in many English
speaking cultures. And since Nigeria has adopted the English ways, den its ok to call you SIR!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 7:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
babylolaroy:
i refuse to agree with you. Any man is 'sir-able' just as all women are miss b4 marriage. Sir is an honorific address used as a
courtesy title to address a man
without using his given name or
family name in many English
speaking cultures. And since Nigeria has adopted the English ways, den its ok to call you SIR!!!!
Let me humor you a bit.. Half truths is no truth. Why didn't you scroll down a bit and read your source a bit downwards?

I helped you already.

The term is often reserved
for use only towards one of
superior rank or status, such
as an educator, or as a form
of address from a merchant
to a customer.

So is the above applicable to me ? (Winks)

1 Like

Re: The Sunnah of Love by deols(f): 8:05pm On Nov 11, 2013
Can we leave the sir and ma for another thread?

on topic, I had a thought and I was thinking not to spoil the mood on the thread with it but I still can't help but say it.

The prophet showed Aisha so much love but what was the state of mind of the other wives as he did this?
Re: The Sunnah of Love by lafuria1(m): 9:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
deols: Can we leave the sir and ma for another thread?

on topic, I had a thought and I was thinking not to spoil the mood on the thread with it but I still can't help but say it.

The prophet showed Aisha so much love but what was the state of mind of the other wives as he did this?
The prophet tried to love get equally but was impossible but nevertheless he was just with them. Shared equal night among them etc
It was no secret he loved Aisha the I but u I've other wives the respect they deserve.
The reaction of the other wives was jealousy but not d evil type. The first wife after nana khadija (forgotten her name) said to him, though she is not his favourite, she demand that the prophet does not divorce her.
If am correct, the prophet sort the permission of the other wives to stay in Aisha during his last days ie when he was ill.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 9:18pm On Nov 11, 2013

I was just joking with her. Nothing serious.

As per your question. Based on history. She was the only one he married out of love i guess. Others were due to political, as a form of mercy or his role as the leader of the congregration as at then. He also treated them with equal respect and i could recall an hadith were the oldest of the wives passed her own share of conjugal meetings with the Prophet to Aisha. This shows there was harmonious relationship amongst them. But wait whats with you and this "fight" about other wives. I hope and pray you don't marry a man with the mindset of having two or more. Because from your responses it seems like you no go gree o.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by babylolaroy(f): 9:56pm On Nov 11, 2013
i have followed some threads to grab Deol's mindset on masna...she is not against it generally buh she doesnt want her own husband to do it...funny though cos i see dats a reservation for masna wic she has neva accepted
I heard just yesterday that Aisha and Hafso were the most of rivals not in the evil way buh dey were most jealous of each oda buh even at that Aisha composed a poem to praise Hafsoh cos of her qualities too..in short those people had a marriage life only commitment can breed in these days

Alfa onegig, na im mouth yu dey yen
Re: The Sunnah of Love by tbaba1234: 9:56pm On Nov 11, 2013

The prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was the best to his wives . There was no injustice between the wives. All his wives were treated with patience and kindness.

For Instance, Patience:

Anas (Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) had ninewives. So when he divided (his stay) with them, the turn of the first wife did not come but on the ninth (day).

They (all the wives) used to gather every night in the house of one where he had to come (and stay that night). It was (the night when he had to stay) in the house of 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her), when Zainab came there. He (the Holy Prophet) stretched his hand towards her (Zainab), whereupon she ('A'isha) said: It is Zainab. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) withdrew his hand. There was an altercation between the two until their voices became loud (and it was at that time) when Iqama was pronounced for prayer. There happened to come Abu Bakr and he heard their voices and said: Messenger of Allah, (kindly) come for prayer, and throw dust in their mouths. So the Prophet (may peace be upon him) went out. 'A'isha said: When Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) would finish his prayer there would also come Abu Bakr and he would do as he does (on such occasions, i. e. reprimanding). When Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) had finished his prayer, there came to her Abu Bakr. and spoke to her ('A'isha) in stern words and said: Do you behave like this?

Muslim :: Book 8 : Hadith 3450

The above highlights the patience the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had with his wives. First of all, he spent time with all the wives every night even though he was to spend the night in the house of one.

Even though Aisha and Zaynab (RA) were arguing, he did not rebuke them. Abu bakr (RA) asked the messenger(peace and blessings be upon him) to throw dust in their mouths which is an expression for him to rebuke them. He refrained from rebuking them.

His feelings regarding his wives

On one occasion, the Prophet's wife Hafsah chided her co-wife Safiyyah by calling her “the daughter of a Jew”. She started to cry.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) then came in and asked her why she was crying. She said: “Hafsah called me the daughter of a Jew.”

To this the Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: “Verily, you are the daughter of a Prophet, your uncle was also a Prophet, and you are the wife of a Prophet, so what does she have over you to boast about?”

He then turned to Hafsah and said: “Fear Allah, O Hafsah.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (3862)]

SubhanAllah, see how he consoled his wife.

Anas ibn Malik narrates;

"I saw the Prophet (salla Allahu 'alaihi wa sallam), making for her (Safiya) a kind of cushion with his cloak behind him (on his camel). He then sat beside his camel and put his knee for Safiya to put her foot on, in order to ride (on the camel)."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari]

Narrated Anas:
While the Prophet was in the house of one of his wives, one of the (other) mothers of the believers sent a meal in a dish. The wife at whose house the Prophet was, struck the hand of the servant, causing the dish to fall and break. The Prophet gathered the broken pieces of the dish and then started collecting on them the food which had been in the dish and said, "Your mother (my wife) felt jealous." Then he detained the servant till a (sound) dish was brought from the wife at whose house he was. He gave the sound dish to the wife whose dish had been broken and kept the broken one at the house where it had been broken.[Sahih Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 62, Number 152: ]

smiley

The messenger understood the jealous nature of his wife and did not rebuke her for it. He showed understanding but firmness in this regard.

It was narrated from Zaynab bint Abi Salamah that Umm Salamah said: “I got my menses when I was lying with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) under a single woollen sheet. I slipped away and put on the clothes I usually wore for menstruation. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me, ‘Have you got your menses?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ Then he called me and made me lie with him under the same sheet.”

She said: And she told me that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to kiss her when he was fasting, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and I used to do ghusl to cleanse ourselves from janaabah from one vessel.(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 316; Muslim, 296)

There are so many beautiful stories of how the messenger treated his wives. There is no reason for a bad state of mind because he showed love to all of them. Of course, jealousy might arise but he (peace and blessings be upon him) managed it with patience and understanding.

4 Likes

Re: The Sunnah of Love by harmeenart(f): 10:24pm On Nov 11, 2013
@deols: I dont know what was on their minds o.But one thing I'm sure about is that,they were pleased being the prophet's wives.And I think the reward associated with being patient on what Allah has destined for them made them contented.
My point here is, let us all make dua to Allah,whichever(mono or poly) would be a source of His mercy on us,He should make it easy for us. Amin.

.....@topic,reminds me of a nice book I read sometime ago.Tales of marital love,its a should read for married and singles having the intention of getting married soon.The sohabas too used to show love to their spouses.And the funniest part was that,they didnt hide it.Abubakr's son was a good example.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by onegig(m): 6:46am On Nov 12, 2013
babylolaroy:
if yu are a yoruba guy den na yoruba i englishize for yu yen...enu lowa yen (thats the yoruba).
it means say marriage go soon reach yu
Ok. I get you now. God's speed to you to.
Re: The Sunnah of Love by Sissie(f): 7:45am On Nov 12, 2013
@harmeenat I have read it, good book.

@ameerah it's so heart breaking, it makes you ask where's the love?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hypocrisy Against Muslim Women / Things You Need To Know About Allah / Would Prophet Muhammad Have Supported Boko Haram And Their Likes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.