Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,933 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

HIV/AIDS Support Group.... - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Support Group.... (46682 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by cmon(m): 6:39pm On Nov 19, 2013
If you think HIV is bad or a killer, try Cancer... The pains alone experienced with cancer and chemotherapy go make you hug HIV sharperly...

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
cmon: If you think HIV is bad or a killer, try Cancer... The pains alone experienced with cancer and chemotherapy go make you hug HIV sharperly...

Regardless, let's not play down HIV/AIDS and its effects. It's still a disease and comes with its own pains. Because cancer may be worse doesn't make HIV and its stigma any less real.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by kubi240: 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
hiv positives are stigmatised even thier families reject them that is why they keep quiet
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by sleekch1c(f): 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Wonderful thread.
Reminds me of 2yrs ago when I was on IT. I was having discussion with some guys on diseases because one of them claimed that HIV was the worst illness anyone could possibly have...I told him that saying that was pure hogwash since there are worse things that can happen to a person besides,thanks to the medication that has been made available,thes people can live healthy lives.
The conversation took a drastic turn when they asked if I would still stay with my spouse if he was HIv +ve and me -ve. I said yes!!!
Why not? Does it alter the personality?
Can you imagine these guys said I was +ve because of my nonchalant attitude to ppl living with HIV? So they made a bet and we marched off to the med. Centre to confirm my Hiv status.
I won the bet cheesy 1k from each of them and they were 5..Lmao.

Seriously,I think people need to get over their fear of people living with HIV. They are normal people like you and the stress of taking medication everyday is enough for them.
Keep your stigma and judgement to yourself,they don't need it.

6 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by LordMecuzy(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
I work with a Health Consultancy firm in Benue, we into HIV stuffs, we dispense Drugs Lamovudine, Nevirapine, Zidovudine, Efavirenz, Abacavar , we even test for CD4, I meet a lot of Hiv patients and Counsel them, tho d work is hectic.

But I derive Joy seeing Patients being stigmatised by the world n I always try giving them Hope for the future.

HIV Can Change ur Life, But it Can't stop you from Living

I work with a Health Consultancy firm in Benue, we into HIV stuffs, we dispense Drugs Lamovudine, Nevirapine, Zidovudine, Efavirenz, Abacavar , we even test for CD4, I meet a lot of Hiv patients and Counsel them, tho d work is hectic.

I always try giving them Hope for the future.

HIV Can Change ur Life, But it Can't stop you from Living

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by AnOlderAmerican(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
I am not a person living with HIV or AIDS but I am so status blind I love all people the same, not true, actually, I am a little more generous with my love towards people living with thr chronic condition. I support each and everyone of my dear Naijas.

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by jaz(m): 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
best thread on naira land so far.
@Seun. u need to keep this on front page. consider it social responsibility.
@op. great idea. u guys have my support. my prayers go to all living with HIV.
I'm sure a cure would surface soon.
@ all discriminating persons. you'll answer for your part in hell.
cheers !

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by AnOlderAmerican(m): 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
To the genius that compared mockingly the pain of cancer and its severity to AIDS as if to discount it as insignificant.

At least consider this please; Think of it as, say, hmmmmm, whose fangs inflict the most pain; the lion or the grizzly bear?

Human suffering is like mourning a loss loved ones, no two people share the exact same experience.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
cmon: If you think HIV is bad or a killer, try Cancer... The pains alone experienced with cancer and chemotherapy go make you hug HIV sharperly...
Hmmmmm......I don't even know how to come in here.
Just to enlighten you that someone who has HIV with low CD 4 count and not on medications is susceptible to some kind of cancer such as- cancer in the brain (intracranial lymphoma) , cancer of the skin ( Kaposi sarcoma)
My advice for us, especially sexually active youth is to know our Retroviral status.
Those who are Negative should try and remain negative while those who are reactive should try and look for a Heart to Heart/ APIN/ PEPFAR /CIHP / ART facility where they can be counselled, evaluated and enrolled for HAARTs.
We should try to show love to our friends, clients and family members who are positive.

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by jaz(m): 7:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
are there schools or companies in naija which discriminate against hiv + ppl ?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by rico73(m): 7:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
fsb: Okay so on NL, there are threads for everything including how to secure a visa (not that the idea of eloping is bad altogether)....anyway, I work in that field and I thought it might be a good idea to start an online support group thread dedicated to every nairalander living with HIV.

For those who have successfully been on antiretrovirals for years, please share your experiences/challenges with us as someone in here might benefit.

For those looking for answers to questions, please come in here ....physicians providing ARV care are also welcome.
There a drug called STIMUNO (both caps/syrup). It builds and strengthen the immune system. people i have recommended it to, improved very well. U can get the drug opp LASUTH.
It make you eat and sleep well.

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Burger01(m): 7:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
@Jaz

I shouldn't think so, and if there are bad ones like that they should be reported to NACA or to respective state SACA..

Federal govt doesn't discriminate. I also know of US embassy. HIV screening in the embassy for travelling purpose is now an option.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by telim: 7:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
really sacred didn't know some members of nairaland are hiv carriers. Is time i visit a good hospital for hiv test.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Burger01(m): 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
^^^^ Now that you know, wetin go happen?

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by eyenCalabar(m): 8:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
icebeatz: Hop3 u dont mind me asking but how do u get your drugs...... my colleague is hiv positive and im d only one he told. He discocered this year though. But when his cd4 runs down, how will he get drugs??

You can direct the person to visit the Local Action Committee on AIDS (LACA) office in the local government headquarter where s/he stays. They'll then link him/her to a support group in the area and from there s/he can ask any member of the group how they do access drugs.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Obinoscopy(m): 8:09pm On Nov 19, 2013
akereconfi: I remember when I applied to University of Debrecen in Hungary, their first entry requirement is being HIV negative. me and others students in my A level school (Cambridge College) were taken to LASUTH for test...

There's something that bothers me, so if u are POSITIVE, some schools wouldn't admit you, ain't that discrimination?
Please when did this happen? I intend taking this up if recent.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
This Thread Is Scary..
Reminds me of the Time I Checked my Status..
My heart was doing dre beats..
I hugged d Doctor..

To all d + people..
The Lord is ur Strength..
Love U all..
Take ur drugs..
Be healthy..
Take healthy food..
It Surely is well

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Afam4eva(m): 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
I think in the quest by organizations and media houses to preach safe sex to people, made a lot of people think their lives were over if they became HIV positive but i don't think so. HIV is like every other disease out there and not a life sentence like some people though. I think what kills is the stigmatization of carriers especially here in Africa where people can take off for sighting an HIV patient. I think we need to be more receptive to these people and show love to them.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Greatlydia(f): 8:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
my
mum hav being living wit HIV for ova 14years now and i love her more
than anyone else in dis world. we eat and drink water together from same
plate and cup. every day i pray and cry to GOD on her behalf to grant
her a long life and take away conplications from her. SHOW THEM LOVE

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by MrsAwesome: 8:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
There is no point downplaying these ish....Hiv is real and still very dangerous.
When counselling patients..
you'll see people who right in your very presence is already planning their revenge....to distribute as much as they can....
partners who refuse to call-in their partners for screening rather they prefer the person to come when they are already in stage 2
After adherence counselling, you plead for compliance and everybody will agree...begging you for the drug...then they will default and come back with stage 3 or 4 with AIDS related symptoms. The
i drug is for life..to be taken everyday for the rest of your life depending on the prescription ...damn it.
If you are not on drugs try to increase you CD4 count..meet a dietician for diet plans. Live a healthy life...Hiv positive is not a license to eternal sexxxxx...HIV means your immunity..your ability to fight infection has been diminished by these assholeee of a virus...so humping from one bed to the other leaves room for you to get the AIDS quicker....
Drink clean water
sleep under mosquito net
practise safe sexo

6 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 8:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
icebeatz: Hop3 u dont mind me asking but how do u get your drugs...... my colleague is hiv positive and im d only one he told. He discocered this year though. But when his cd4 runs down, how will he get drugs??
just tell ur colleague to go to any government owned hospital the drugs are free and the staff are always friendly set of people...
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by adtiezy1(m): 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mrs Awesome:
what's CD4
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by adtiezy1(m): 8:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mrs Awesome: CD4
whats dat shit??..someone should tell me the meaning
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 8:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
telim: really sacred didn't know some members of nairaland are hiv carriers. Is time i visit a good hospital for hiv test.
Yes its better U̶̲̥̅̊ go check urself cos those that know of their status are better than U̶̲̥̅̊,@ least they no where they belong and what's next for them to do.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by AnOlderAmerican(m): 8:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
Telim please forgive me but your comment disturbs me, you should be afraid of fellow humans reacting to HIV AIDS like you just did!
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Mznaett: 8:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
Ok
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
if I find out u have aids and we are not close I will avoid u, if we are close I will just be more careful around u. but I am not going to knowingly make friends with a hiv + person, if u happen to be family I will have no choice but to love and support you other than that I want nothing to do with aids victims. I know its wrong and I genuinely want to help them but the way the media presented aids to us making it synonymous with death still scares me.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 9:02pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mz~naett:
Fenkz 4putn dx topic on fb...pls 'm losn weight nd 'm scared 2go 4test....wat shud i do?
Sweet@ U̶̲̥̅̊ don't need to be scared, ur loosing weight might nt even have anything to do with HIV, but at the same time its very important for u to know ur status so that U̶̲̥̅̊ will know the next thing to do...Common dear overcome the fear and know ur status...cheers

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by uyplus(m): 9:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
freeyayo: I am a Pharmacist who works in an ARD (Antiretroviral clinic) and I meet HIV patients daily who encounter some problems with compliance. Many complain about the side effects of these drugs particularly those that contain Tenofovir/Lamivudine/Efavirenz and those containing Zidovudine/Lamivudine/Nevirapine. The former causes severe drowsiness and is adviced to be taken just before bed or right there on your bed and no machinery should be handled thereafter while the former may cause severe rashes and some develop an allergy called Stevens Johnson syndrome, characterized by burns which is fatal and should be reported immediately to the hospital. Patients should know that side effects of these drugs dont last forever as the body would eventually get used to the drugs. HIV patients must be brave and positive always knowing that they live a long and healthy life as long as they stick to their medications and keep faith. For other members of the society, STOP STIGMATISATION!!!!!!

But Comeon, ders a lead-in dose for nvp wich mst b adhered to inother to avoid risk of steven Johnson syndrome wich is associated wit nvp based combination. I hf nva come across nvp induced sjs in clinical practice, because pts r advc to report weneva rashes r noticed.

And pls try to explain to them dt efavirenz based combinations r associated wit drowsiness n nt jst stating dt tdf/3tc/efv r associated wit drowsiness.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mz~naett:
Fenkz 4putn dx topic on fb...pls 'm losn weight nd 'm scared 2go 4test....wat shud i do?
Hey dearie, don't get panic. There are thousands of things aside HIV that can make one to lose weight.
No Doctor can treat you on online forum like this. I will suggest you go to a nearby standard hospital where a doctor can clerk, examine you , request for necessary laboratory investigations and subsequently treat you base on his/her clinical findings.
Safe dear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Imarah 'Dr Tomi’s Haven': Lack Of Regular Sex Can Make You Lose Your Job / Baby Born From Three People's DNA In UK First / Causes Of Mouth Odour And How To Naturally Get Rid Of It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.