Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

HIV/AIDS Support Group.... - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Support Group.... (46763 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by fsb(m): 8:02pm On Nov 09, 2013
Okay so on NL, there are threads for everything including how to secure a visa (not that the idea of eloping is bad altogether)....anyway, I work in that field and I thought it might be a good idea to start an online support group thread dedicated to every nairalander living with HIV.

For those who have successfully been on antiretrovirals for years, please share your experiences/challenges with us as someone in here might benefit.

For those looking for answers to questions, please come in here ....physicians providing ARV care are also welcome.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 1:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
I wonder y must people decided to keep quite about their HIV status...Most people are positive and are dying silently, they have forgotten something Saying their minds and ao they feel can make them get better emotional...Am positive to HIV on septrin already and doing fine....

14 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by applelady(f): 10:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
I have been positive since 2010 but not on drugs yet, my cd4 count is still on the high side, but I do take immunace ( immune boosting drugs).

19 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 7:03am On Nov 19, 2013
@ applelady....Am happy U̶̲̥̅̊ re strong and rocking ur life dear....HIV is just a name so it doesn't ve to stop U̶̲̥̅̊ from having all d fun in life...Though its nt easy taking drugs everyday but am so use to it now and I see it as my day to day activity...

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Sirgen05(m): 8:29am On Nov 19, 2013
Heartie01: I wonder y must people decided to keep quite about their HIV status...Most people are positive and are dying silently, they have forgotten something Saying their minds and ao they feel can make them get better emotional...

I don't agree less. U r on point.
I think the Challenge with that is the societal disposition to PLWHA. The society should lessen their 'hardness ' on them.
But this can be made possible by the PLWHA ignoring d public attitude. The attitude of the PLWHA is all that is needed to cancel out the misconceptions and falsehood the public holds about them. This will disabuse the public mindset. To overcome stigmatization start from the mind! To overcome HIV start from the mind.
Even the drugs will amount to Nothing if u don't treat ur mind first!
Make yourself known, it will help u greatly!
I love this forum.

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 19, 2013
Heartie01: I wonder y must people decided to keep quite about their HIV status...Most people are positive and are dying silently, they have forgotten something Saying their minds and ao they feel can make them get better emotional...Am positive to HIV on septrin already and doing fine....

Stigma and discrimination. They often are shunned by family, friends, and even communities. One would wish more people are open.

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 9:21am On Nov 19, 2013
ogugua88:

Stigma and discrimination. They often are shunned by family, friends, and even communities. One would wish more people are open.
Yes I no HIV+ people are always scared of the stigma nd rejection they face from people but den that doesn't stop them from giving HIV a face....And sometimes talking and sharing our experience on a faceless forum like dis is nt a bad idea..Nobody pray to be infected but if it happens den we need to pick up our lives nd accept fate...

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 19, 2013
Heartie01: Yes I no HIV+ people are always scared of the stigma nd rejection they face from people but den that doesn't stop them from giving HIV a face....And sometimes talking and sharing our experience on a faceless forum like dis is nt a bad idea..Nobody pray to be infected but if it happens den we need to pick up our lives nd accept fate...

It's not that easy. It's like how victims of molestation keep quiet. It's a psychological issue. Their lives are forever changed, and finding a support group is difficult. We can say that if we're in such a situation, we'd boldly come out and make announcements, but the truth is that a lot of people won't.

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 9:32am On Nov 19, 2013
ogugua88:

It's not that easy. It's like how victims of molestation keep quiet. It's a psychological issue. Their lives are forever changed, and finding a support group is difficult. We can say that if we're in such a situation, we'd boldly come out and make announcements, but the truth is that a lot of people won't.
Yes I understand what u re talking about cos I am in other +ve people shoes and know its nt just easy saying it even to our immediate family...But the truth is we still have life and a long way to go after been diagnosed...Positive people still have the hope for life which most cancer patients don't have.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 19, 2013
Heartie01: Yes I understand what u re talking about cos I am in other +ve people shoes and know its nt just easy saying it even to our immediate family...But the truth is we still have life and a long way to go after been diagnosed...Positive people still have the hope for life which most cancer patients don't have.

I think with time and mental healing, some will come to that realization. Since some find it hard to open up, people should reach out to them. This thread is a great start.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 9:54am On Nov 19, 2013
ogugua88:

I think with time and mental healing, some will come to that realization. Since some find it hard to open up, people should reach out to them. This thread is a great start.
Yep, wish people can come to just say ao dey feel and share their experience with other especially youths...
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by adtiezy1(m): 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
just passing by
plus what are those symptoms you observed....educate me more on d signs that shows one might be infected sad

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by omoharry(f): 5:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
yes. Good thread.

5 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Lilimax(f): 5:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Good thread.
Get tested for HIV and know your status today.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by greatgod2012(f): 5:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
HIV no longer kill, it's the stigma and the distcrimination that kills.

However, i believe very soon, drugs to cure HIV is at the edge of successful discovery, and this should be a wake up call for those who might want to die in silence or who might want to commit suicide as a result of being tested + to HIV.

There is hope.
This thread is a good start and i hope it's gonna have positive effects on so many people.

@all, let's show more love and stop stigmatization, let's always bear it in mind that it can happen to anyone, and if it happens to YOU, will you like to be stigmatized?
May God help us all.

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by lexicon(m): 5:23pm On Nov 19, 2013
adtiezy1: just passing by
plus what are those symptoms you observed....educate me more on d signs that shows one might be infected sad

Get tested.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by J0nyb0y(m): 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
How u take get d HIV sef??
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by adora4u1: 5:30pm On Nov 19, 2013
A person very close to me is HIV positive. He takes his medication regularly and looks super healthy. When I'm with him I totally forget he's HIV positive! I love him and his HIV status is not going to diminish that! It's devastating when you find out that you're HIV positive, but with prompt medication you can live a good life!

And F--K those low-lives (especially family members) who discriminate against HIV positive persons!

11 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by saymax(f): 5:31pm On Nov 19, 2013
Pls feel free to ask or discuss ur challenges, u neva can tell who wud b of help. Due to ignorance a lot of ppl are suffering wat dey shudnt. I was a party 2 encouraging a young lady 2 start treatment recently n am happy 2 say she is doing well now. She was ashamed at 1st 2 admit n even run test but 2day she's receiving treatment n doing grt. Pls HIV/AIDS does not mk any1 d worst person on earth. Help stop d stigmatization.

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Hardeshyna(m): 5:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
space booked

4 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by MariaGoretti: 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
Heartie01: @ applelady....Am happy U̶̲̥̅̊ re strong and rocking ur life dear....HIV is just a name so it doesn't ve to stop U̶̲̥̅̊ from having all d fun in life...Though its nt easy taking drugs everyday but am so use to it now and I see it as my day to day activity...
Like you rightly said, HIV is just a name.
Ask some people, and they will tell you they prefer CANCER to HIV.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Burger01(m): 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
HIV is no biggie. I've worked with care given organizations and donors. Pepfar, Apin, AniGhain... one thing of interest is that reactive people now begin to see and take it like any other illness. There is hope of permanent cure and soon this would be a thing of the past. I've learnt never to stigmatize or alienate plwhiv. They are just like me and you, brothers and sisters, family and friends. Have them as friends and have seen many of them married with children. The beauty of the intervention of treatment in the pmtct program is the high success rate of preventing the infection through pregnancy and exposed children. I'm always happy to be a part of a meaningful, life saving project and cause.

Stigmatization kills faster than HIV. Let's stop stigmatizing.

3 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Diamonddamsel: 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
Great thread im certain people living with HIV will be encouraged.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Burger01(m): 5:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
Maria-Goretti:

Like you rightly said, HIV is just a name.
Ask some people, and they will tell you they prefer CANCER to HIV.

These are ignorant people. They never know what Cancer is.. Cancer patients can't have the quality of life plwhiv have.. Just bone them..

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nice one
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Heartie01: I wonder y must people decided to keep quite about their HIV status...Most people are positive and are dying silently, they have forgotten something Saying their minds and ao they feel can make them get better emotional...Am positive to HIV on septrin already and doing fine....
lyk u
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
Hop3 u dont mind me asking but how do u get your drugs...... my colleague is hiv positive and im d only one he told. He discocered this year though. But when his cd4 runs down, how will he get drugs??
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by akereconfi: 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2013
I remember when I applied to University of Debrecen in Hungary, their first entry requirement is being HIV negative. me and others students in my A level school (Cambridge College) were taken to LASUTH for test. Chooooi when the woman counsel me, I nearly faint, the whole school knew we went for HIV test,..........swear down, had it being I was positive, I would have committed suicide.

When my thumb was pierced and blood sample collected, I prayed so hard, one guy that tested positive was wailing that his life has finished. From the look on my face, you can read what was going on in my mind. My House Master looked at me and said Zinah are you scared, I put up a fake smile and said NO.
A thought came into my mind to tell him, in case am Positive, that he shouldn't tell anybody.
I now called him.....HM, he said yes, I immediately changed mind and said where can I ease myself, he asked for directions and I went

Finally the result showed, I looked at the girl from my school, she was damm quiet,
But to wrap it all, we were both NEGATIVE

There's something that bothers me, so if u are POSITIVE, some schools wouldn't admit you, ain't that discrimination?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by contactmorak: 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2013
Let me add that diet is as important as drugs for ppll living with HIV. So what's dating like for ppl living with HIV.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
Wonderful tread. I work in a campus HIV facility and know HIV is just a disease and nothing more.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by freeyayo(m): 6:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
I am a Pharmacist who works in an ARD (Antiretroviral clinic) and I meet HIV patients daily who encounter some problems with compliance. Many complain about the side effects of these drugs particularly those that contain Tenofovir/Lamivudine/Efavirenz and those containing Zidovudine/Lamivudine/Nevirapine. The former causes severe drowsiness and is adviced to be taken just before bed or right there on your bed and no machinery should be handled thereafter while the former may cause severe rashes and some develop an allergy called Stevens Johnson syndrome, characterized by burns which is fatal and should be reported immediately to the hospital. Patients should know that side effects of these drugs dont last forever as the body would eventually get used to the drugs. HIV patients must be brave and positive always knowing that they live a long and healthy life as long as they stick to their medications and keep faith. For other members of the society, STOP STIGMATISATION!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
akereconfi: There's something that bothers me, so if u are POSITIVE, some schools wouldn't admit you, ain't that discrimination?

Yes, it is discrimination.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

3 Main Reasons Why Some Women Cant Get Pregnant / US Surgeons Successfully Test Pig Kidney Transplant In Human Patient (photos) / UNIPORT Fresh Graduate Dies Of Brain Tumor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.