Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

HIV/AIDS Support Group.... - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS Support Group.... (46664 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by obi123: 9:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
stoned: if I find out u have aids and we are not close I will avoid u, if we are close I will just be more careful around u. but I am not going to knowingly make friends with a hiv + person, if u happen to be family I will have no choice but to love and support you other than that I want nothing to do with aids victims. I know its wrong and I genuinely want to help them but the way the media presented aids to us making it synonymous with death still scares me.

what you need is education, the more you know about things the more comfortable you become with them, read up about it, just an hr of your time on google will do wonders
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Sirgen05(m): 9:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
adtiezy1:
whats dat shit??..someone should tell me the meaning

These are the cells that the virus attacks!
Its low level doesn't show u r positive as other conditions could bring it low.
Normal level is usually above 800
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Mobsync(m): 9:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
is there any way I can do hiv test without going to a clinic?
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Obinoscopy(m): 9:29pm On Nov 19, 2013
adtiezy1:
whats dat shit??..someone should tell me the meaning
CD4 simply means Cluster of Differentiation 4. It's actually the scientific name for a glycoprotein found on the surface of the T helper lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell that plays a great role in immunity). The higher the CD4 count, the higher the number of lymphocytes (T4) ultimately resulting to a higher immunity.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Zonacom(m): 10:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
During my I.T in a medical lab this year i was exposed to the HIV virus in the lab while collecting a patient's blood sample. I was placed on one month post exposure prophylaxis so as to kill of the virus before it undergoes seroconversion. The process is said to be largely effective though in certain isolated cases, the virus still resists the drugs. I finished the one month drug course in september and have gone for testing twice which came out negative. By february next year, that is 6 months after i was exposed, i will know whether i'm actually negative to the virus.
Meanwhile, i must confess that i'm presently kinda afraid cos i easily have headaches and some other abnormalies i seldom experienced before the exposure.
When i was on the ART drugs however, i read a lot about HIV and how its managed and i think i know better now. Hopefully, come february i'll be sure of my status but whatever be the case i have come to realise that the fastest thing that causes death due to HIV is stigmatization . We need to end stigmatization if we hope to defeat HIV.

6 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Wallie(m): 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
Do you want to live long?
Practice safe intimacy.
Know your HIV status and if positive, start taking your medication because that’s the only card left to play.

You want to die quickly?
Practice unsafe intimacy.
Do not find out about your HIV status if you practice unsafe intimacy. People younger and older than you have dropped dead out of ignorance; you might as well add one more to the count.

HIV, like diabetes, can be managed but only if you take your medication. If you do not control the disease, you might as well start counting down. It is better not to put yourself in such a predicament in the first place but if you find yourself in such a situation, regardless of how you got there, the next best thing is to manage the disease.

Education is key and remember that HIV no dey show for face! I wonder what doctors are doing in general to ensure more people get tested. Over here, doctors will ask to test you for STDs including HIV even when going for a yearly checkup. I usually just say "sure" just so my doctor won't think that I have something to hide plus my insurance is paying for the tests. Maybe the key is for the government to offer free testing?

Anyway, you can learn more from http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/transmission.html
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Odukes(m): 10:26pm On Nov 19, 2013
This is a very nice and informative thread and my support goes out to all positive folks, a female colleague of mind who is positive needs a positive partner to settle down with, any one on this forum who wants to settle down may open up, I will link you up. She is and independent working class.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by jaz(m): 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
lots of info here. hearing plenty tinz for za first time.
so doc what's the implication on the patients blood count. does the blood dry up or something

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by soulglo: 10:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
Thank you OP. Awareness is everything. Ignorance kills more people that anything else

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by excondido(m): 10:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
great thread...reminds me of a friend dat died 4m aids. i feel guity smtimes knowing mayb if i had tried harder he could have still be alive today, bt d reactn i would get if i had told hm to seek medicatn scared me because he neva admitd he is +ve n i dare nt sugest so either, else am wishing hm such. he resorted to seeking miracle, bt 2 no avail n later news dat it was hepatitis came as a relief, i had 2 convience myslf dat its nt aids against d little knwledge i have abt hiv and aids which were obvious on him. i v learnt 4m d experience n i think i owe a moral obligatn to b sympathetic to those living wt d disease. i hope a cure comes soon. love them and they wl live longer.

6 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by dok2nero: 11:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
HIV is not d dealiest disease but its the most publicised and yet d most misunderstood. In my practice as a medical officer in a local govt area , I found dat d prevalence wat rather high and yet most of d people had no idea wat HIV was abt. Som even think its hereditary , most others attribute it to "spiritual attack ". As such they seek help in spitual homes and all dat. Most people I seee come in stages 3 and 4 wen there is hardly anything dat cud be done . However , I know a lot of enlightened PLWHA who are unbelievably healthy . On this note, i'll appeal with everyone to take sometime to enlighten family , friends and loved ones on prevention, early diagnosis and importance of prompt treatment. THE LIFE U SAVE might be URS. Nice thread

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
Zona.com:
During my I.T in a medical lab this year i was exposed to the HIV virus in the lab while collecting a patient's blood sample. I was placed on one month post exposure prophylaxis so as to kill of the virus before it undergoes seroconversion. The process is said to be largely effective though in certain isolated cases, the virus still resists the drugs. I finished the one month drug course in september and have gone for testing twice which came out negative. By february next year, that is 6 months after i was exposed, i will know whether i'm actually negative to the virus.
Meanwhile, i must confess that i'm presently kinda afraid cos i easily have headaches and some other abnormalies i seldom experienced before the exposure.
When i was on the ART drugs however, i read a lot about HIV and how its managed and i think i know better now. Hopefully, come february i'll be sure of my status but whatever be the case i have come to realise that the fastest thing that causes death due to HIV is stigmatization . We need to end stigmatization if we hope to defeat HIV.
Congrats bro..
I don't think you should have any cause to be afraid. The symptoms you are experiencing are likely due to some other systemic illness and highly unlikely to be due to HIV.
The lesson you need to learn is Universal Safety Precaution against needles , blood and blood products.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 19, 2013
Zona.com:
Congrats bro..
I don't think you should have any cause to be afraid. The symptoms you are experiencing are likely due to some other systemic illness and highly unlikely to be due to HIV.
The lesson you need to learn is Universal Safety Precaution against needles , blood and blood products.

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Zonacom(m): 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
*SOME UNKNOWN FACTS ABOUT HIV*

1. That you test negative to HIV in a lab at a given time does not mean you are actually HIV -ve. Surprised? Dont be afraid cos most times the simple rapid HIV tests are correct but in some cases they are not enough. The normal HIV tests carried out in the labs are 'antibody tests'. The antibody test shows reactivity only when the person's blood has produced enough antibodies detectable by the rapid diagnostic kits. The best way of being sure that you are HIV -ve at a given time is to go for 'Antigen testing'. The antigen test checks for the presence of the virus itself in a person's blood.

2. Early HIV infection can be treated. By early, i mean not later than 72 hours cos by then, the chances become low. So if you feel you have been exposed to the virus at any time via whatsoever means, go see a doctor at any Heart to Heart centre and explain yourself. The earlier, the better. However, there are cases where this treatment can fail.

3. For Hiv +ve persons on drugs; abuse of the drugs easily leads to a dangerous complication called AIDS. Adherence to instruction on how to take the drugs is of importance. Its possible that you might test -ve to HIV while on the drugs, thats because the drugs have been able to bring down the viral load to an undetectable level at that particular time. If you stop your drug taking, chances are that your body's viral load will grow and the virus in your blood might develop resistance.
However, i believe in Miracles and i know that the God in heaven is capable of healing any illness if he so wishes.

*more facts later*

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 11:26pm On Nov 19, 2013
Uzuazokaro<when there is life,there is HOPE>.this is a great initiative & am happy to be part of this.

I heard of something called'ciclopirox',that it can cure HIV;is it true?if yes..how is it applied*have got an infected relative,really need to help*
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Zonacom(m): 11:30pm On Nov 19, 2013
casket:
Congrats bro..
Thanks bro.
Funny enough, i'm somehow happy that i felt a little of what people on ART are feeling. Cos i believe i somehow had an experience too so i can easily be empathic.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 19, 2013
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 19, 2013
[.....
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by DMLords: 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2013
Hello Nairalanders. I think this is one of the most timely thread I have seen on Nairaland. Actually, I have been on Nairaland for a while but I have never dropped a comment till I came across this thread.

HIV is actually a just a name like someone rightly pointed out. I have been working in an ART clinic for a year now and the trend has always been the same: A young couple comes for test, probably in preparation for their marriage. One is found positive and the other not. Immmedately, you start to see the resentment in the partner that is not positive. Most people think you have gotta be So So Sexually Careless to be positive but it is not the case.

Please let us understand that a HIV+ person is still the same person he was before the test and is still a valuable friend(even though the prospect of sex has been kicked out of the equation)
Let us support HIV+ people and educate others on getting tested. The Ish is real!

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 19, 2013
Zona.com:

Thanks bro.
Funny enough, i'm somehow happy that i felt a little of what people on ART are feeling. Cos i believe i somehow had an experience too so i can easily be empathic.
I feel you. I've been there as well.
Mine wasn't needle prick but a busted condom while shagging one runs babe.
It happened on a Friday evening, I was living in hospital quarters where I was working then.
I took the babe to maternity ward where she was screened and the test was reactive. I did mine as well , I was negative.
There was ICAP facility within the hospital but none of the staff was around to give me some drugs that I could use as post exposure prophylaxis.
I drove down to one of our clients residence and I got combivir with Nevirapin ( wrong combination ).
Taking those drugs was like hell to me. I later changed to ideal and recommended combo and completed the drugs for 28 days.
I'm still negative and pray to remain like that !
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Zonacom(m): 11:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
applelady: I have been positive since 2010 but not on drugs yet, my cd4 count is still on the high side, but I do take immunace ( immune boosting drugs).
Whats up with the custom job dear? Hope you are fine
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by rhowly(m): 12:10am On Nov 20, 2013
Truly wonderful thread and a sight for sore eyes. I was praying while reading that NLs loonies would stay away. Thank God for that. I just want to emphasize compliance. I have watched people die from a negligence of therapy (not a pretty sight) and seen others flourish from discipline. God bless NL PLWHA for your courage and candor

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by AnOlderAmerican(m): 2:22am On Nov 20, 2013
I would like to share this poem and my love for Naija. By Jeff Pierce

Victims of HIV left to die like dogs in the street
Nurses remarks on hospital charts "patient beaten by the beast"
Uncaring eyes from the hall ignoring pain's call not wishing to change stained sheets
Her husband sought help and anti-retroviral drugs for himself
Unfaithful man shared the lethal virus but with sealed lips kept the secret to himself
Now mom goes into a grave and a four year old with father to an empty house
Oh Naija!
Woe to the forty out of one hundred HIV positive women who live with it and do not even know!
Don't hang you head in shame it is the virus, you are not to blame
It could careless race, religion, or tongue, accidentally or intentionally, it is there to infect someone, to make you curse its name!
Big money comes to save the sick and dying
The corrupt gobble it up, cars, clothes, fancy homes, trips, jewelry, but, no medications buying
Let those souls dream of a long walk down a winding road
Take away the death penalty, trade it for a chronic day by day load
Friends and family do not scatter rather please do gather round
Why should loyal ties and those who bring joy to lives now forever a loss
When with care, attention, and love like you they will live to die of a natural cause!
Educate yourself, take care, be loving to others, and may JAH keep you in GOOD HEALTH NAIJA!

2 Likes

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by MariaGoretti: 6:01am On Nov 20, 2013
In as much as we preach "stop stigmatisation", please, the HIV -ves (esp the young bloods) should also be careful and try to adhere to the preventive measures. That way the population of people living with the virus will be at a reduced rate.

But you know how the Devil uses the opportunity to gather disciples for himself.

Please and please, all those who are carriers and who prolly contracted it through a guilty or non-guilty way, I beg you, do not nurse revenge in your heart (I meant trying to spread it). You are only killing yourself the more.

With the right knowledge of the virus, diet and medications, you will even forget that you are a carrier.

Pls, people, try to equip yourself with the knowledge of this virus. You can get it from anywhere....internet is overpouring with such knowledge.
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by soulglo: 6:50am On Nov 20, 2013
ak47yong: .

Then you were never their friend.

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 6:52am On Nov 20, 2013
ak47yong: ,
that really shows how shallow minded U̶̲̥̅̊ re....What if its happens to 1 of ur immediate family? U̶̲̥̅̊ re going to reject the fellow? Woow! Ao will ur feel if u happens to be in dat position and people reject u?

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by diablos: 7:05am On Nov 20, 2013
Maria-Goretti:

Like you rightly said, HIV is just a name.
Ask some people, and they will tell you they prefer CANCER to HIV.

ρєѕιη ρʀєƒєʀ ċαηċєʀ тσ нιν grin ηα ʀєαℓ мυмυ ɗ ρєѕιη be
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Willdidi(m): 7:29am On Nov 20, 2013
I remember back in camp wen d test was being done 4 free, a lot of ppl took d opportunity to get tested but a much more higher percentage said der prefer not to know dier status, dis r educated n enlighten ppl who knew about dis virus. But decided not to know dier status, u know d funny tin my girlfrnd den who is now my wife called me den to go 4 d test cos we both hav been dating 4 close to 4yrs den, she went 4 d test n came out negetive of course dat gave me d courage to go 4 mine which came out dsame, I felt better after knowing my status, if she had been positive I didn't need a test anymore cause I know my own result too (u know wat I mean). Knowledge is power. The greatest fear of all is d fear of the unknown

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by akinsdeji(m): 7:48am On Nov 20, 2013
Sorry just a question plz,can hiv +ve have s3x with hiv -ve without transmitting the disease? I know condom is effective when it come to unwanted pregnancy,how effective is it when its come to std.thanks
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Heartie01: 7:56am On Nov 20, 2013
Willdidi: I remember back in camp wen d test was being done 4 free, a lot of ppl took d opportunity to get tested but a much more higher percentage said der prefer not to know dier status, dis r educated n enlighten ppl who knew about dis virus. But decided not to know dier status, u know d funny tin my girlfrnd den who is now my wife called me den to go 4 d test cos we both hav been dating 4 close to 4yrs den, she went 4 d test n came out negetive of course dat gave me d courage to go 4 mine which came out dsame, I felt better after knowing my status, if she had been positive I didn't need a test anymore cause I know my own result too (u know wat I mean). Knowledge is power. The greatest fear of all is d fear of the unknown
If she had tested positive den doesn't mean U̶̲̥̅̊ too will be positive, cos am living witness to that, I and my ex had been dating for over 2yrs before I went for test but he use to do his own test like every 6months due to the nature of his job and its always comes back negative, but @ d orientation camp last year I decided to know my own status and lo and behold it came back +ve he didn't believe it cos he too just got tested a week before dat time nd he was -ve, after the camp we both went to 3 different hospital mine was also +ve and his -ve..He has done d test again after 3 nd 6months they both came out negative....
Re: HIV/AIDS Support Group.... by Obinoscopy(m): 8:20am On Nov 20, 2013
akinsdeji: Sorry just a question plz,can hiv +ve have s3x with hiv -ve without transmitting the disease? I know condom is effective when it come to unwanted pregnancy,how effective is it when its come to std.thanks
Yes, provided they use condom and the person with the virus is compliant with his/her medication. Presently, we even have medications for sero-discordant couples. This will ensure that the man does not infect his wife and vise versa for the rest of their lives

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

387 New COVID-19 Cases, 105 Discharged And 2 Deaths On May 29 - (2099 Tested) / A Lesson From Tramadol Abuse / US Surgeons Successfully Test Pig Kidney Transplant In Human Patient (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.