Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,500 members, 7,830,507 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? (6499 Views)

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / No Mikel, Musa And Ighalo For Rio 2016 : Siasia / How To Join The Glo Soccer Academy DREAM TEAM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by McKren(m): 10:25pm On Jul 17, 2008
Guys lets pay some respect to this game we all love to watch

Its almost blasphemous to compare mikel to Zidane or Okocha

We have seen super-gifted players in football and Mikel is not one of them

Mikel should first catch up with his mates who played Junior world cup with him but who have risen above him. Yes I mean the likes of Fabregas and Messi.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by timmfikk(m): 8:00am On Jul 18, 2008
@ Dayokanu, Thanks bro for your good work in enlightening our dearly brothers, but i am so saddened that they never want to understand the fact that a player who lack discipline is nothing but a quark , also who is telling you mikel is not a bench warmer, huh how many appearance did he showed up away from the bench for his club, maybe you fail to recall we all where shouting when your best coach was turning his career upside down, and you people said it was a better way to let him have a first team shirt. Well please Mikel supporters accept fate ooo because this is just his beginning of bench warming i bet it if he ever play 15 matches next season call me whatever you like. okay

SiaSia we back you like anything let me quote mtn for you, ( GO Cheer up SIASIA and his New TEAM)
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by dayokanu(m): 9:55am On Jul 18, 2008
Also, Mikel IS NOT A BENCH WARMER AT CHELSEA, Wayne Bridge, shaun Wright phillips are benchwarmers. Its obvious that you only watch Chelsea only when they are on TV. The guy played regularly especially in the first half of the season before the nations cup, or whenever they had an injury crisis. By the time he came back from the African cup of nations, Chelsea had switched from a 4-3-3 formation that required 2 defensive midfielders to a 4-1-4-1 formation that required one, with either Essien or Makelele performing the holding duties with Essien playing right back whenever the full back got injured (that may change with Bosingwa coming in).
Chelsea wants the kid to replace an aging makelele when he decides to call it quits. Makelele is over 35 and he is not going to be able to play a full season like he used to, and this is where you need mikel to partner and essien. Either way, one of the holding midfielders would be out of the club, because Big Phil might still favor a 4-1-4-1 formation to accomodate Ballack and Deco (heck, he might drop one of them even if Lampard doesn't go to Inter Milan)
Now having said all this, a "benchwarming" mikel who plays in the EPL and Champions league is much better than an Isaac Promise who just got bought by some Turkish team, if he is supposed to be as good as Mikel why isn't he in the EPL, la liga, or heck, even the French league.

What do you call a player that plays only when the Men are injured? Remember Hilario?

I am sure SWP too played a lot of game in the first half of the season when the men were injured.

By your analysis If Bosingwa should take the right back and Maka goes what happens to Mikel with Essien, Ballack and Deco in the frame.

In my mind, Essien would be the holding midfielder, Ballack woulg play ahead of him and one of Joe Cole or malouda/ Kalou would play to the wings

If lamps should leave if not Mikel does not stand a chance unless the Men get injured again.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by davidif: 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2008
i think they would sell makelele at the end of this season while he still has value, Chelsea are not going to sell a player almost in late 30's to a player in his 20's. Makelele, as good as he is, can't play every game of the season and put in an optimum performance like Essien can do because of his age but they would use him in certain key games like the CL or big games in the premiership. This is where Mikel comes in.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by dayokanu(m): 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2008
Essien, Ballack, Deco, Lamps? J.Cole and Malouda (to the wings) then where does Mikel come in?
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by opokonwa(m): 4:48pm On Jul 22, 2008
Yes, it did pay some dividends considering the fact that they had some players named Youri Djorkaeff and ZINEDINE ZIDANE.

I wonder what this guy is talking about?
Who knew Youri Djorkaeff and ZINEDINE ZIDANE before France '98?

Yes these where professional players alright but it took that tournament for the whole world to herald them!

You are talking about a past that you already know it's future.
These 'relatively unknowns' that Siasia is trying to expose can become better that a Youri Djorkaeff or even as good as a Zidane tomorrow.
Quit whinning about the non-inclusion of Mikel.
I am a Chelsea fan. I love Mikel.
But what Siasia is doing for our football is the best thing that happened to Nigerian football; DISCIPLINE AND EXPOSURE
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by davidif: 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2008
@okponkowa or whatever
Who knew Youri Djorkaeff and ZINEDINE ZIDANE before France '98?

I knew who they were and a lot of football fans know who they were, if you didn't know who they were just say it. Djorkaeff was at Inter milan then and Zidane got to the champs league final with Juventus that year so please don't talk like you know everything. In fact, this guy did well at Euro '96 in England where they took France to the semi's.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2008
Summary Mikel Should be dropped
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by opokonwa(m): 11:09am On Jul 23, 2008
davidif:

@okponkowa or whatever
I knew who they were and a lot of football fans know who they were, if you didn't know who they were just say it. Djorkaeff was at Inter milan then and Zidane got to the champs league final with Juventus that year so please don't talk like you know everything. In fact, this guy did well at Euro '96 in England where they took France to the semi's.

@daviduf or whatever

Please, if you want to argue, do so with some dignity.
Stop talking as though you want to fight anyone who has a different view from you angry  I do and unapologetically so!

Being in Inter Milan doesn't guarantee that any player is a star just like being in Chelsea.
Djorkaeff has never been an exceptional player or striker, so stop over-rating him.

Zidane may have gotten to the champs final with Juventus but was not the genuis the world discovered at France '98. Right or wrong?!
Zidane was not even the playmaker in that Juve team so stop overplaying his status before France '98.
He was just a good professional like all other professionals in that team.
All that changed in France '98.

So please! stop acting like you know everything yourself!
Furthermore! stop acting like your own opinion reigns supreme!

Whether the Nigerian Under-23 team drops out of the Group stage (which I am confident they won't) or not, no player is too big to answer national call ups and certainly not Mikel Obi.
Let us identify a clear case of indiscipline and over-rated self ego when we see one.
Mikel Obi probably thought that he was bigger than the Under-23 boys and it probably got to his head (perhaps after playing for the Super eagles and lacing boots with the likes of Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Michael  Essien).
But pride goes befoore a fall!
A player cannot be greater than his country so let him continue warming the bench at Chelsea while his more humble compatriots get international exposure.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by dayokanu(m): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2008
Whether the Nigerian Under-23 team drops out of the Group stage (which I am confident they won't) or not, no player is too big to answer national call ups and certainly not Mikel Obi.
Let us identify a clear case of indiscipline and over-rated self ego when we see one.
Mikel Obi prob thought that he was bigger than the Under-23 boys and it prob got to his head (perhaps after playing for the Super eagles and lacing boots with the likes of Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and Michael Essien). But pride goes befoore a fall!
A player cannot be greater than his country so let him continue warming the bench at Chelsea while his more humble compatriots get international exposure.

Let them be beaten 10-0 in all games and I would still support SiaSia Let Mikel go and warm chelsea bench. SiaSia does not need him, Nigeria does not need him.

If a player is bigger than National team it should be Messi, Kanu, Ronaldinho, Kaka, C.Ronaldo or world class players whom have proven themselves at the highest level not some mediocre but overrated players like Mikel, Titus Bramble, Djemba Djemba, and others
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by opokonwa(m): 11:50am On Jul 23, 2008
dayokanu:

If a player is bigger than National team it should be Messi, Kanu, Ronaldinho, Kaka, C.Ronaldo or world class players whom have proven themselves at the highest level not some mediocre but overrated players like Mikel, Titus Bramble, Djemba Djemba, and others

Even those names you mentioned above cannot be bigger than their national call-ups!

Messi cannot be bigger than Maradona, Redondo et al
Kanu cannot be bigger than the Okochas, Yekinis et al
Ronaldinho cannot be bigger than the Peles, Socrates, Ronaldo et al
(Don't even mention Kaka! embarassed)
C.Ronaldo cannot be greater than the Eusebios, Luis Figos et al

The national call-up is about history, about heritage and love for one's roots.
It's an opportunity to say 'thank you'. 'I am grateful' and not an opportunity to act like 'one is too big'.

No player can act bigger than his country's team. This is afterall a team game and not tennis or boxing.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Olaolufred(m): 12:53pm On Jul 24, 2008
@davidif

Now having said all this, a "benchwarming" mikel who plays in the EPL and Champions league is much better than an Isaac Promise who just got bought by some Turkish team, if he is supposed to be as good as Mikel why isn't he in the EPL, la liga, or heck, even the French league.
[color=#990000][/color]

Davidif, you will probably be one of the advisers ruining Mikel's career.
The performance of a player is what he is able to do on the pitch. Not his Club's name or whatever.
Will you say Uche is not a good player because he is not in Real Madrid
or Barcelona? Or would you say Okocha was never a player because he had never played for the best
European teams?
I beg a Pardon, You people should let us fail this time around and learn from it.
Must we  because of our desperation to win now make us build a team without character?
Note this:
NIGERIA DIDN'T PLAY BRAZIL HANDS DOWN IN ATLANTA 1996. kANU, AMOKACHI, AMUNIKE etal
KNEW WHAT THEY SUFFERED IN THE BRAZILLIAN'S HAND.
BUT, THEY WON THE MATCH THROUGH ONE THING   "Attitude and Determination which is equal to Character"
Stop all this crusades that is turning mikel to a mini god. Only God is indispensable.
Take a clue from this. IF I STOPPED MY SUBSCRIPTION TO NAIRALAND NOW, WILL THAT STOP THE FORUM?.
Mikel is not superior to any one on Siasia's list. So also is he not inferior to any.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Olaolufred(m): 1:14pm On Jul 24, 2008
@davidif

It is good to be an odd one out when one has a good ground.

Sir, in this case of John Mikel Obi"s exclusion from Siasia's team,

Have a re-think.

I pray God help him.

Where are the likes of Oladimeji Lawal, Philip Osondu, Chris Ohenhen etc.

Remember the days of their Hosasnas(1988/1989)

If Mikel continue to fail in his character developments,

He will also be forgotten. That to me will be a fatal crash.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Olaolufred(m): 2:11pm On Jul 24, 2008
@dyabman
Hey You Guys are playing Holland first match, i trust in them , worst luck for you guys, useless flying chicken.

Dyabman, who says Holland wouldn't get to Euro 2008 final? I voted them as my Team tipped to win the cup.
I didn't watch their q/final match with Russia.
I got to the office the following day to see the online result of how they whitewash Russia, only to see the same holland
beaten 3:1. I wasnt glad. But i learnt that beating france or italy is not a guarantee of beating Mali.
You will definitely not beleive what you will see dream team do in beijing.
Names no longer play the ball. It is Talents that are intimately married with CHARACTER.

@davidif

Solomon David Abwo
Sanni Kaita
Olufemi Oladapo
Emmanuel Ekpo
Olufemi Ajilore
Bernard Okorowanta
Isaac Promise
Osadebemwen Okoro
Efe Ambrose
Chinedu Ogbuke

WHO ARE THIS GUYS

These guys are the unknown to you that will be known. They are the men who were unknown to you as Mikel was unknown to us in 2003. Mikel became the known in the year 2005, so will some of these unknown be known this year.
Or are you saying nigeria is for Mikel's only? If he became known one day, then let another also be known this time.
Thanks.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by opokonwa(m): 2:15pm On Jul 24, 2008
The good news for Mikel is that his weekly takehome pay now increases from 40,000pounds to 80,000pounds (in a new contract).
Furthermore, he replaces Claude Makelele as a regular in the defensive midfield position.

Mournho may have changed his playing style from the more entertaining & flair style to the less entertaining but more defensive style, however the former Chelsea coach has groomed Mikel to replace Makelele, who is currently too old to retain the shirt.

So I think Mikel may not be least bothered by all these analogy we are making here as long as his weekly pay increases and he makes Scolari's regular shirt.

Now, ain't that good news for both him and the national team in future?
Nigeria may be able to use him in that position permanently in future.

But it doesn't change the fact that we still prefer to build character rather than personalities in the future Super Eagles.
And coach Samson Siasia is doing just that.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Olaolufred(m): 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2008
@Sibanibi
take a good look at the guy are all abusing, i mean a very good look. nigerians are ingrates and difficult to please.

Sibanibi, I think you seem to be more an ingrate.
Do you blame the Company you work with now for employing you.
If you meet the man or woman who interviewed you and recomended you for appointment,
Will you look down on such?

Nigeria gave him the chance to be known to Chelsea.
Do you remember his elder brother is still in our local league?

Mikel seems more reasonable than you who says 150 million people are ingrates.
Please, tell Mikel to be grateful to Nigeria. When he plays for us with a grateful heart,
then we also will give back our good testimony of him at retirement.

No Company gives award to the man who absconds from office because he fears the third mainland hold ups.
As far as he continues this way, you and him are ingrate to the nation.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Olaolufred(m): 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ opokonwa

I am Glad at the good news you broke now if it is true.

I want him to have a regular Jersey in Chelsea's first team.

If he masters that position, He may be the next Oliseh.

I pray He works on his Character.

Mr. opokonwa, I love people who talks to issue without being too sentimental.

I have tried to communicate my mind without being too critical.

Issues must be our drive in this assembly, not sentiments.

I really appreciate you sir.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Emad(f): 2:55pm On Jul 24, 2008
To all the people saying that Mikel is great and that Nigerians are ungrateful!

Footballers are only as good as their last match
Mikel is good for the BENCH ( the kitchen bench )
Siasia was right to have dropped him
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by jessecash: 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2008
we have a great chance of winning gold at Beijing 2008. cos our boys and coach are well disciplined and skilled.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by ayo84(m): 3:07pm On Jul 24, 2008
siasa's right in not picking mikel for the olympic dream team 3.

Mikel has lost it, This is a player who was competing with messi in the under 21 world cup,now look at both of them:

Messi's becoming a success whle Mikel is becoming a football spectatle (He plays on the pitch but doesnt do anything extarordinary)
Mikel should have gone to Arsenal, Arsene Wenger would have groomed him.
Arsenal is the best team for young aspiring football stars.

Mikel has lost it BIG TIMe
The only way he can redeem his image is if he goes to another club
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by otokx(m): 3:34pm On Jul 24, 2008
I believe in Siasia
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by lexicon(m): 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2008
The world can not collapse because of mikel, Let him go to hell if he dnt want to play for his father land, but he should always remember dat dis is where he started his almost finishing career from. F**k Morinho,
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by alex406(m): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2008
Must Mikel be there?Was he among those that brought pride to Nigeria last year?Siasia dey go jare no mind them.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by princesa(f): 3:58pm On Jul 24, 2008
@topic
i really like Mikel because he is handsome and rich cool
but the fact that he is shunning his country repulses me to great deal
whoever does he thinks he is,
there is a saying i know which says that "when you climb a ladder to a high position and thinking you are safe and comfortable throw down the ladder, will only do you bad 'cos when it is time to come down, the ladder will be no more"
what am trying to say in essence is that Mikel shouldnt have shun the people (Nigeria/Nigerians) who had given him the opportunity to climb higher in his career, 'cos when it is time for him to fall (God forbid though) there will be no one to support him angry
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by rasputinn(m): 4:09pm On Jul 24, 2008
I heard he is contemplating dropping some players cos their clubs won't release 'em
If that be the case,I suggest NFA should revert to FIFA ASAP cos Blatter has said all clubsides must release their players to their various countries for the olympic games as it's a FIFA sanctioned event
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by ifyalways(f): 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2008
Nice line up Sia sia has got,i juts hope motherluck wud smile with us.
Asfor the Mikel dude,chealse's bench i guess is good enough for his ass.He wont be missed
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by rasputinn(m): 4:22pm On Jul 24, 2008
alex406:

Must Mikel be there?Was he among those that brought pride to Nigeria last year?Siasia dey go jare no mind them.

Mikel what?
Please someone enlighten me
Is Mikel the name of a street in Rwanda or something
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by rasputinn(m): 4:26pm On Jul 24, 2008
[b]Siasia has indeed dropped Ikechukwu uche and Vincent Enyeama cos of the earlier issue I pointed out,so it's only locomotiv moscva's Osazee Odemwengie that's the over-aged player in da squad[/b]
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 24, 2008
Well, when Mikel is alone somewhere in his bedroom, he will regret his actions.

He needs this country more than the country need him.

My wish is for Nigeria to do well.

God Bless Nigeria and all patrotic Nigerians
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by opokonwa(m): 4:42pm On Jul 24, 2008
@ opokonwa

I am Glad at the good news you broke now if it is true.

I want him to have a regular Jersey in Chelsea's first team.

If he masters that position, He may be the next Oliseh.

I pray He works on his Character.

Mr. opokonwa, I love people who talks to issue without being too sentimental.

I have tried to communicate my mind without being too critical.

Issues must be our drive in this assembly, not sentiments.

I really appreciate you sir.

Ha Oga!

The honour is mine! wink
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by kufreabasi(m): 4:43pm On Jul 24, 2008
let's leave everything to God.Siasia has his own reasons for that. Onlike every other persons Mikel cannot play
the whole field alone with without the support of others.
Re: Siasia Picks 26 For Dream Team: No Mikel? by JUNIT1(m): 4:55pm On Jul 24, 2008
mikel's exclusion from squad is the same as cesc fabregas or cristiano ronaldo's exclusion, it's an insult for them to be seen in such a competition, and why is everyone fussing over mikel, he's not that good, i don't know why people praise him so much, is it because he is a chelsea player, typicall nigerians

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Leading Scorers In The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) / Europe's Best Penalty Takers In The World Of Football / Terim, Trappatoni, Hiddink, Amodu To Coach Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.