Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23124 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 4:32pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: you sold off your language for MONEY now you guys are complaining.

No, we did not. And nobody is complaining. While we changed the language of instruction, we retained Igbo customs, traditions and folklore. In other words, we use English to portray and propagate Igbo customs and traditions to the world, which I think is an inventive idea.

While realizing that language preservation and propagation is paramount, my recommendation would be for more Igbo-language movies to be produced to be close to or at par with their English-language counterparts in order to step up their reduced volume since the late 90s.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: you sold off your language for MONEY now you guys are complaining.

So y where u arguing when I said igbos have the mainstream nollywood?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2013
All these Nollywood talk. Is it these movies that lack quality and international standard

I liked the productions of the early 2000's
but the ones now are just young dudes acting crazy.
Yoruba movies of then so horrible, thank God the Yoruba spirituality is being promoted in more recent movies, even making the movies better
Thanks to Ade folayan, and Ola balogun for their bold steps into Movies
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:12pm On Nov 16, 2013
macof: All these Nollywood talk. Is it these movies that lack quality and international standard

I liked the productions of the early 2000's
but the ones now are just young dudes acting crazy.
Yoruba movies of then so horrible, thank God the Yoruba spirituality is being promoted in more recent movies, even making the movies better
Thanks to Ade folayan, and Ola balogun for their bold steps into Movies

Not all Nollywood movies were made in a haste. In Hollywood, there are high-budget and low-budget movies. The high-budget movies are the ones taken with enough time to act, like several months, with better quality and a huge financial budget. On the other hand low-budget movies are acted and produced in order to meet up with the ever-increasing demand of movies. This is the basic law of demand and supply of economics. In the midst of other strong competitors and you have so many people wanting your own products, you must have to keep producing and producing your products to respond to the huge demand for it else, your customers will lose interest in your product and go for the next available one. Not every customer displays customer loyalty, ie being a fan of and dedicated to a particular good or product. More often than not, people flow with the prevailig tide and are not emotionally tied to one option when there are several of them.

Likewise, the Nollywood movie industry. They have high-budget movies such as Ije(the journey), the other one of Aki or is it Ukwa which was acted abroad, etc. In the same vein, low-budget movies are also acted to keep up with the demand for it. Nollywood has the Ghanaian and South African movie industries to compete with and the competition is fierce. Nollywood leads them all for now because they owners and runners perfectly understand the dynamics and economics of the consumer market. If Nollywood doesn't respond fast as they are doing, they'll lose their success and fame to their fierce competitors.

The world is a global market with so many international competitors out there seeking to dominate the market and establish monopoly. To succeed, you have to keep up with change. Inability to keep up with change will leave you wallowing in the throes of the past.

In the early 2000s, Sony Ericsson phones reigned very well. Next, Nokia phones penetrated into the phone market and, in practically a few years, took over from Sony Ericsson. Nokia enjoyed fame, popularity and monopoly of the phone market from 2005 to 2008/2009 when Blackberry phones joined the phone market and took over from Nokia. Blackberry phones reigned from 2009 to 2012 and Android phones took over. Android took over from Blackberry, its predecessor, because RIM(blackberry's producer) failed to improve and develop their operating system, the BB OS. Android offered better, enhanced and a more versatile OS than BB OS and that's why it was able to snatch the mantle of monopoly from RIM. And that's how the trend will continue. In the next few years and entirely different phone type will take over Android phones.

That's how the world market is. To survive the stiff and intense competition out there, you must have to be creative, alert, and dynamic.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by odumchi: 5:34pm On Nov 16, 2013
Were these studies conducted in urban or rural areas?

I'd like to cite a personal example: I was born in the country-side and lived there until I was five (that was when I left Nigeria). Living in my village, I was fluent in my mother tongue (Igbo), and was also exposed to Ibibio and English (which we only spoke at school). That being said, I don't think that this idea that the "Igbo language is disappearing" applies to rural areas. But at the same time, I don't think that speaking Igbo should be a problem for children in Owerri or Enugu as much as it is for children in Abuja or Jos.

It's extremely disturbing to hear that youths in places like Lagos [and even] Portharcourt are unable to communicate fluently in their native languages due mainly to their parents' carelessness and ignorance.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 16, 2013
bigfrancis21:

No, we did not. And nobody is complaining. While we changed the language of instruction, we retained Igbo customs, traditions and folklore. In other words, we use English to portray and propagate Igbo customs and traditions to the world, which I think is an inventive idea.

While realizing that language preservation and propagation is paramount, my recommendation would be for more Igbo-language movies to be produced to be close to or at par with their English-language
koreans and indians make their movies in their languages and still sell far beyond nollywood. They would have been making huge profit in nigeria if not for pyrates which are your people cos i see dozens of their works on shelves e.g jumong, warrior baek dong su, boys before flower etc.

Nollywood is not igbo but english/yoruba though the english part contains mostly igbo actors. Claiming the english part belongs to igbos is a height of stupidity cos the language spoken is not igbo. Are they ashame of their language? What happened to subtitling? Do you think a foreigner watching cares what tribe is involved except when it involves a language not english?

Your language is dying just for money.

Think straight.

nollywood belongs to igbos but 75% of their movie scenes are shot in places like surulere, ajah, festac, v.i etc which are all yoruba grounds neglecting alaigbo to a 25%. When last did you see kannywood shooting outside the north? Oh, you like to migrate thereby neglecting your culture.

Nollywood belongs to igbos but 75% of music video directors are yorubas e.g clarence peters, dj tee, moe musa, sesan, akin alabi etc.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:

So y where u arguing when I said igbos have the mainstream nollywood?
which one be mainstream again?

as long as it is not your language spoken, dont claim it solely but yorubas can claim their part likewise hausas with pride just like the koreans who made jumong and co. which your people are pyrating all over the country. tongue
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 16, 2013
@Bigfrancis21

stop comparing phones with movies cos it makes no logical sense.

Neglecting your language just cos you want international appeal is like killing your mum for money/ego. Indians dont do dat, koreans dont do dat, yorubas dont do dat, why igbos? Yorubas can only do that when americans start making films in yoruba. We dont sell out.

DSTV's africa magic has got yoruba, hausa and english channel. Where is the igbo own? Except you want to fraudulently claim it solely. Africa magic would have been a nice way to promote your language but you gave it to the ENGLISH, something they will never do to the igbos, same mistake ghollywood is making as they also share that english channel with nigerians.

also hi nolly and the likes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 7:20pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: koreans and indians make their movies in their languages and still sell far beyond nollywood. They would have been making huge profit in nigeria if not for pyrates which are your people cos i see dozens of their works on shelves e.g jumong, warrior baek dong su, boys before flower etc.

Nollywood is not igbo but english/yoruba though the english part contains mostly igbo actors. Claiming the english part belongs to igbos is a height of stupidity cos the language spoken is not igbo. Are they ashame of their language? What happened to subtitling? Do you think a foreigner watching cares what tribe is involved except when it involves a language not english?

Your language is dying just for money.

Think straight.

nollywood belongs to igbos but 75% of their movie scenes are shot in places like surulere, ajah, festac, v.i etc which are all yoruba grounds neglecting alaigbo to a 25%. When last did you see kannywood shooting outside the north? Oh, you like to migrate thereby neglecting your culture.

Nollywood belongs to igbos but 75% of music video directors are yorubas e.g clarence peters, dj tee, moe musa, sesan, akin alabi etc.

Corrections: you have a lot of fallacies about Nollywood. From the above, its clear you don't have much idea about Nollywood.
1) That Igbos speak English doesn't make us English. We are still Igbo. If ANTP releases an English movie tomorrow with all Yoruba actors, does that make the movie non-yoruba? If I go ahead and claim that movie, you'd bounce on me, right?

2) Nollywood movies are shot mostly at Enugu, Asaba and then Lagos. The traditional village setting movies are acted in Enugu. Asaba is another frequent place of acting. Then Lagos. Lagos used to be the main point for acting in the wee days of Nollywood's growth, around the early 2000s, because of the high development of some of its areas more suited for acting. But recently other states have become more developed and beautiful and these states are being used. To simply conform this, watch any Nollywood movie, at the ending the cast list will be shown, wait patiently to the appreciation part and the venues and locations used to act the movie will be shown. Please notice the states written there. Mostly Enugu and Asaba. And some Lagos.

3) Those producers you mentioned are the music video directors. And no, they don't make over 75% of producers. Coming to the Igbo industry, you have Igbo producers such as Chico Ejiro, Zeb Ejiro, Anyaene, etc. The most prolific producer in the entire AGN and ANTP is Chico Ejiro, who produced over 80 films in less than 5 years and no other producer has beaten his record.

4) About korean and Indian movies, they make movies yet Nollywood, specifically the Igbo industry, trumps them all - Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish language movies. Their movie industries don't even come close to Nollywood. In terms of gross earnings, Nollywood ranks second in the world, behind Hollywood, and before Bollywood of India. Generally, Nollywood ranks third in the whole world, behind Hollywood and Bollywood.

You belittle Nollywood a lot but outsiders rate it very high. Nollywood movies, aka the English-language movies produced by AGN, are well-watched in huge volumes all over Africa and the world. West Africans have learnt several Igbo words such as mba(no), nna anyi(our father), igwe(king), Chineke m(My God) etc due to their exposure to Nollywood movies. Take a visit to Ghana, and once Ghanaians notice you're a Nigerian they'd want to know if you're Igbo and if you are they'd want to impress you with Igbo words they learnt from Nollywood movies. Going across the Atlantic, Caribbean nations also love Nollywood movies because it serves to remind them of the times and looks of their ancestral homeland. So many Jamaicans have professed their love for Igbo movies.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: @Bigfrancis21

stop comparing phones with movies cos it makes no logical sense.

Neglecting your language just cos you want international appeal is like killing your mum for money/ego. Indians dont do dat, koreans dont do dat, yorubas dont do dat, why igbos? Yorubas can only do that when americans start making films in yoruba. We dont sell out.

DSTV's africa magic has got yoruba, hausa and english channel. Where is the igbo own? Except you want to fraudulently claim it solely. Africa magic would have been a nice way to promote your language but you gave it to the ENGLISH, something they will never do to the igbos, same mistake ghollywood is making as they also share that english channel with nigerians.

also hi nolly and the likes.

The Igbo channel are African Magic, African magic+ etc that feature Igbo movies showing Igbo customs and settings. At times, they run Igbo-language movies. These channels show English and Igbo language movies.

Lol. We aren't selling out our language. The igbo language is very much alive. Its not dying even in the next 200. Some Igbo children born outside Igboland may not be speaking the language but they all adopt the language as teenagers or adults. I know some people who didn't speak Igbo as children but speak if fluently now like they were raised with it.

Igbo language has no signs of dying at all. I wonder all these attention. The attention is good anyway because it has helped to make Igbos focus more on preserving the language.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 7:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: which one be mainstream again?

as long as it is not your language spoken, dont claim it solely but yorubas can claim their part likewise hausas with pride just like the koreans who made jumong and co. which your people are pyrating all over the country. tongue

Once the movie is acted by actors from AGN, not ANTP or Kannywood, and produced and directed from AGN(the Igbo industry), the movie is an Igbo movie.

The volume of movies from AGN only surpass Bollywood movies yearly.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:35pm On Nov 16, 2013
ochallo: If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.

Mindset of someone selling out their culture shame
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:36pm On Nov 16, 2013
stevebond007: look at the age bracket of 0- 18. they speak English at school and come back home speaking English obviously they can comprehend a bit of the mother tongue but don't speak. So when they grow up the tongue is a no no for their Kids.

Not all areas of Nigeria are like that, especially in the north where there is a huge emphasis on African languages
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 7:37pm On Nov 16, 2013
By the way I used the phone example to buttress my point of fierce competition in the international market. That was a simple passage. Read to comprehend facts.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 7:40pm On Nov 16, 2013
Google is starting to acknowledge African languages, especially Nigerian languages. Three Nigerian languages (Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo) will soon be added to Google translate

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 16, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Corrections: you have a lot of fallacies about Nollywood. From the above, its clear you don't have much idea about Nollywood.
1) That Igbos speak English doesn't make us English. We are still Igbo. If ANTP releases an English movie tomorrow with all Yoruba actors, does that make the movie non-yoruba? If I go ahead and claim that movie, you'd bounce on me, right?

2) Nollywood movies are shot mostly at Enugu, Asaba and then Lagos. The traditional village setting movies are acted in Enugu. Asaba is another frequent place of acting. Then Lagos. Lagos used to be the main point for acting in the wee days of Nollywood's growth, around the early 2000s, because of the high development of some of its areas more suited for acting. But recently other states have become more developed and beautiful and these states are being used. To simply conform this, watch any Nollywood movie, at the ending the cast list will be shown, wait patiently to the appreciation part and the venues and locations used to act the movie will be shown. Please notice the states written there. Mostly Enugu and Asaba. And some Lagos.

3) Those producers you mentioned are the music video directors. And no, they don't make over 75% of producers. Coming to the Igbo industry, you have Igbo producers such as Chico Ejiro, Zeb Ejiro, Anyaene, etc. The most prolific producer in the entire AGN and ANTP is Chico Ejiro, who produced over 80 films in less than 5 years and no other producer has beaten his record.

4) About korean and Indian movies, they make movies yet Nollywood, specifically the Igbo industry, trumps them all - Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish language movies. Their movie industries don't even come close to Nollywood. In terms of gross earnings, Nollywood ranks second in the world, behind Hollywood, and before Bollywood of India. Generally, Nollywood ranks third in the whole world, behind Hollywood and Bollywood.

You belittle Nollywood a lot but outsiders rate it very high. Nollywood movies, aka the English-language movies produced by AGN, are well-watched in huge volumes all over Africa and the world. West Africans have learnt several Igbo words such as mba(no), nna anyi(our father), igwe(king), Chineke m(My God) etc due to their exposure to Nollywood movies. Take a visit to Ghana, and once Ghanaians notice you're a Nigerian they'd want to know if you're Igbo and if you are they'd want to impress you with Igbo words they learnt from Nollywood movies. Going across the Atlantic, Caribbean nations also love Nollywood movies because it serves to remind them of the times and looks of their ancestral homeland. So many Jamaicans have professed their love for Igbo movies.

if igbo continue like this.what next do you think will next.something must change!! if they can't speak igbo in their movies.if they continue like that thats d end of igbo cos many people won't think of them being igbo,but as English.

Many people don't know what is igbo movies,instead they will say its an English movie

I remembered in the hostel back then,after they finish watching a Korean movies,,they start practicing d language.

Thats one of d best way to learn a language.

I only watch Hollywood movies. one reason is because of d oral English.
If a yoruba keeps watching an hausa movie.
And hausa people are around him.he iz learning yoruba but he won't know.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:30pm On Nov 16, 2013
Arcsniper:

if igbo continue like this.what next do you think will next.something must change!! if they can't speak igbo in their movies.if they continue like that thats d end of igbo cos many people won't think of them being igbo,but as English.

Many people don't know what is igbo movies,instead they will say its an English movie

I remembered in the hostel back then,after they finish watching a Korean movies,,they start practicing d language.

I only watch Hollywood movies because they have more action and utilise a larger budget to create them. More computer technology is involved thus a better looking film.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 16, 2013
@Bigfrancis

stop feeding us junks.

75% of the scenes are shot in lagos with 25% shot in alaigbo which are village scenes. You mean lekki housewives, two can tango and other modern blockbuster films were shot in alaigbo? Lol.

Talking of chico ejiro, mainframe opomulero alone beats him in terms of stories, epic scenes and camera quality. Btw, i was talking about music videos which u failed to mention ur own directors.

Nollywood produces more films and are second to hollywood but in terms of quality they are bottom last as they cant compete with bollywood and koreans who have better cameras, stories, actors, directors etc all of which rubbishes nollywood' junk movies.

You even mention they make better pay. Lwkmd. From pirated copies? grin grin how come they are yet to upgrade their cameras? Fyi, yorubas part of nollywood has upgraded, though not up to standard but not the sh.i.t their english counterpart are still using.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:36pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: @Bigfrancis

stop feeding us junks.

75% of the scenes are shot in lagos with 25% shot in alaigbo which are village scenes. You mean lekki housewives, two can tango and other modern blockbuster films were shot in alaigbo? Lol.

Talking of chico ejiro, mainframe opomulero alone beats him in terms of stories, epic scenes and camera quality. Btw, i was talking about music videos which u failed to mention ur own directors.

Nollywood produces more films and are second to hollywood but in terms of quality they are bottom last as they cant compete with bollywood and koreans who have better cameras, stories, actors, directors etc all of which rubbishes nollywood' junk movies.

You even mention they make better pay. Lwkmd. From pirated copies? grin grin how come they are yet to upgrade their cameras? Fyi, yorubas part of nollywood has upgraded, though not up to standard but not the sh.i.t their english counterpart are still using.

Having a good camera is only part of the equation when shooting/filming a good movie. Another part of it is computer technology which plays a major role in most modern films.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 16, 2013
Fulaman198:

I only watch Hollywood movies because they have more action and utilise a larger budget to create them. More computer technology is involved thus a better looking film.
i watch them for those reasons to.as a science student,i love those science fiction movies

I hate Korean/chinese etc i hate their films

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 16, 2013
Fulaman198:

Having a good camera is only part of the equation when shooting/filming a good movie. Another part of it is computer technology which plays a major role in most modern films.
thank you my unbiased friend.

Nollywood lacks all the above but @bigfrancis would have me believe they are better than bollywood, mexicans and the koreans who have more than the above with good quality soundtracks. Mtchew
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:43pm On Nov 16, 2013
Arcsniper: i watch them for those reasons to.
I hate Korean/chinese etc i hate their films

Some martial arts films from China are pretty good, watch IP man sometime, it isn't bad Sha. Same goes with Korean films.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:45pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: thank you my unbiased friend.

Nollywood lacks all the above but @bigfrancis would have me believe they are better than bollywood, mexicans and the koreans who have more than the above with good quality soundtracks. Mtchew

There are good and bad films in every country, but typically speaking, you are right Nigerian films just lack the technology and proper budget to make them look as good.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 16, 2013
Fulaman198:

Some martial arts films from China are pretty good, watch IP man sometime, it isn't bad Sha. Same goes with Korean films.
have watched IP man.
Am interested in films like 24,nikita,the event,flashforward,

there is alot to learn in those films

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Fulaman198(m): 9:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
Arcsniper:
have watched IP man.
Am interested in films like 24,nikita,the event,flashforward,

there is alot to learn in those films

Absolutely agree with you

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 10:57pm On Nov 16, 2013
Arcsniper:

When you meet some Igbo people speaking English, what do you still call them? Omo Igbo or Oyibo? Which one?

For the record, I'm yet to see someone who said he learnt a language from watching the language movie only. Language is best learned by being with speakers of the language and efforts at practicing it.

You might improve on the level you have already but to learn a language from scratch by watching movies? Impossible. Why haven't you learnt Korean, Hindi or Chinese since you're a die-hard fan of such movies?

Segeggs:

Igbos may speak English in their movies to accommodate everybody, and to reach a far viewing audience, that doesn't equate to the language being neglected. Ghana and South Africa act most of their movies in English yet both countries are multi-ethnic and have several tribes within them. Bollywood makes a great number of English movies, in addition to the Hindi movies.

Don't give us all that tantrum as if acting in English is bad.

Talking about Yoruba movies, please are Yoruba-language movies any better? As you believe so much in Yoruba movies, please why haven't they spread like wildfire all over the world and made name like their Chinese, Indian and Korean counterparts? Why are Yoruba movie sales restricted mostly to the SW region if they are so superb and with the latest camera quality?

You're quick to point out the mediocrity in Nollywood movies(which you covertly have acceded that its Igbo owned) while failing to see the more overt mediocrity in yours.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 11:15pm On Nov 16, 2013
Segeggs: @Bigfrancis

stop feeding us junks.

You only mentioned 3 movies and used them to therefore generalize that most movies are acted in Lagos. And I never said no Igbo movies are shot in Lagos. Even Ada Mbano, the recent Igbo-language movie that sold like wildfire was acted partly in Lagos. However, my point is, Nowadays, more Nollywood movies are acted in Enugu and Asaba than in Lagos..

@Second paragraph...Why haven't opumulero-like movies made any waves all over Nigeria first before then dreaming of international acclaim? Yet the so poor and degraded Nollywood movies as you would have us believe are watched and loved all over Africa and the world. The success and fame of Nollywood are praised and held in high esteem by Black historians for being purely a black effort.

@4th paragraph: Igbo Nollywood grosses over $200,000 every year thus making it the second richest movie industry in the world. The industry is well-funded, the financial resources are there and their actors and actresses are better paid than their Yoruba counterparts in the Yoruba industry. Funke Akindele who is paid N150,000 per movie, is said to be the highest Yoruba earning actress in the Yoruba industry. She's at the top of Yoruba actors/actresses today because of her dual role in both the Yoruba and Igbo movie industries. While her counterparts such as Tonto Dike, Genevieve Nnaji, Rita Dominic earn over N250,000 with Genevieve especially being paid much higher than that for certain roles and movies.

Omotola Ekeinde, a Yoruba actress married to an Edo man, is where she is today because of her preference to act in Nollywood rather than ANTP. She earns higher than Funke Akinele. Omotola has acted in more Igbo movies than Yoruba movies. Same can be said for Olu Jacobs.

Now please educate yourself below:

Nollywood grew quickly in the 1990s and 2000s to become the second largest film industry in the world in number of annual film productions, placing it ahead of the United States and behind only Indian cinema. According to Hala Gorani and Jeff Koinange formerly of CNN, Nigeria has a US$250 million movie industry, creating some 200 videos for the home video market every month.

The release of the box-office movie Living in Bondage in 1992 by NEK Video Links owned by Kenneth Nnebue in the eastern city of Onitsha, Anambra state set the stage for Nollywood as it is known today. The story goes that Nnebue had an excess number of imported video cassettes which he then used to shoot the first film. Its huge success set the pace for others to produce other films or home videos. Through the business instincts and ethnic links of the Igbo and their dominance of distribution in major cities across Nigeria, home videos began to reach people across the country. Nollywood exploded into a booming industry that pushed foreign media off the shelves, an industry now marketed all over Africa and the rest of the world.

The use of English rather than local languages expanded the market and aggressive marketing using posters, trailers and television advertisement also played a role in Nollywood's success. Since then, thousands of movies have been released. One of the first Nigerian movies to reach international renown was the 2003 release Osuofia in London, starring Nkem Owoh, the famous Nigerian comedic actor. Modern Nigerian cinema’s most prolific auteur is Chico Ejiro ("Mr. Prolific"wink, who directed over 80 films in an eight-year period and brags that he can complete production on a movie in as little as three days. Ejiro’s brother Zeb is the best-known director of these videos outside of the country.

The first Nollywood films were produced with traditional analog video, such as Betacam SP, but today almost all Nollywood movies are produced
using digital video technology.The Guardian has cited Nigeria's film industry as the third largest in the world in earnings and estimated the industry to bring in US$200 million per year.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria

I want you to read this part again:

[b]The use of English rather than local languages expanded the market and aggressive marketing using posters, trailers and television advertisement also played a role in Nollywood's success.

It was made clear that the movies critical to Nollywood's success today are the English language movies which are Igbo movies acted and produced by Igbos.

SOURCES:

1) http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=30707

That's the first 1 from the United Nations itself.

2) http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/nigerias-nollywood-eclipsing-hollywood-in-africa-1974087.html

The second one from a UK-based newspaper.

3) http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0412/18/i_if.01.html

That's from CNN itself.

4) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1550776/In-Nollywood,-'lights,-camera,-action'-is-best-case-scenario.html

That's from another UK based newspaper, not Actors Guild of Nigeria. wink

5) http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/16/world/step-aside-la-and-bombay-for-nollywood.html

That's from the internationally known and verifiable New York Times.

6) http://www.economist.com/node/7226009

That's from The Economist.

7) http://www.theguardian.com/film/2006/mar/23/world.features

8.) http://www.nigeriaentertainment.com/

9) http://allafrica.com/stories/200804211168.html?mstac=0

And the last but not the least:

10) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/magazine/nollywood-movies.html?_r=0

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 16, 2013
bigfrancis21:

When you meet some Igbo people speaking English, what do you still call them? Omo Igbo or Oyibo? Which one?

For the record, I'm yet to see someone who said he learnt a language from watching the language movie only. Language is best learned by being with speakers of the language and efforts at practicing it.

You might improve on the level you have already but to learn a language from scratch by watching movies? Impossible. Why haven't you learnt Korean, Hindi or Chinese since you're a die-hard fan of such movies?

Igbos may speak English in their movies to accommodate everybody, and to reach a far viewing audience, that doesn't equate to the language being neglected. Ghana and South Africa act most of their movies in English yet both countries are multi-ethnic and have several tribes within them. Bollywood makes a great number of English movies, in addition to the Hindi movies.

Don't give us all that tantrum as if acting in English is bad.

Talking about Yoruba movies, please are Yoruba-language movies any better? As you believe so much in Yoruba movies, please why haven't they spread like wildfire all over the world and made name like their Chinese, Indian and Korean counterparts? Why are Yoruba movie sales restricted mostly to the SW region if they are so superb and with the latest camera quality?

You're quick to point out the mediocrity in Nollywood movies(which you covertly have acceded that its Igbo owned) while failing to see the more overt mediocrity in yours.

and yea thats true nobody learns a language from watching a movie.

How about developing interest for that language.making you to start learning it.

Somebody tells you that he loves Chinese people.he has never seen them b4.doesn't know if they exist or not..but he love them cos he see them in films.

When i see someone speaking Chinese,how do i know that hes speaking Chinese?? Or that he is a Chinese It was through their films.

I have never seen one b4.i can identify Chinese writing,a Chinese man,chinese food,i know little things about dia culture,religion,etc.it was through dia films

i didnt say i like Korean/chinese

when people see an igbo man speaking English, they call him oyinbo.cos dey see him as oyinbo(meaning an whiteman or an Englishman)

when u see a yoruba man,dey is no two words,they call him omo yoruba

when u see an hausa man,dey call him aboki(using an hausa word to refer to an hausa man)

i have watch some American films seeing people wearing agbada.@least a scene.
Sometimes speaking pidgin English..or do you want me to tell u d names of d film??

Fuji,afrojuju,e.t.c they sing in yoruba..are very popular even outside Nigeria.
Thanks to people like dammykrane.21st century Fuji

language is not barrier when u want to listen to music.i listed to phyno music alot,i don't understand many things.
Even south Africa music

.i was playing a game.a quest game i was to got to Nigeria.
When u ask people around for clues the first thing u see is.ku aro.bawo ni?
where in d world?.i think thats d name of the game
And they will ask you questions about that country. To give u d clues u need.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 17, 2013
Yoruba movies are nothing,as thats what you are trying to say.but i can see improvements.

Why are you always comparing ur country,to countries like American,ona b mate??before and after 1960,they av been on dia own.they were there on our naming ceremony,lol

Bollywood movies are producing English movies.thats true.
But when they started were they using English??

If igbo start speaking igbo in their films,do you think they will be popular and sell as d yoruba movies do??.no
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 12:46am On Nov 17, 2013
How many American/korean etc have ever shot any film in enugu??
You are adding igbo movies+normal Nigeria(English) movies together.
Igbo acted/produced/direct movies.
They speak English,which will make everybody to buy it.main purpose is for everybody to buy d movies,so that they can have dia money.
They can never at all if they wia speaking igbo.
The yorubas knew that not everybody in Nigeria will buy the film.b4 they started but thank God today.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:33am On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: Yoruba movies are nothing,as thats what you are trying to say.but i can see improvements.

Why are you always comparing ur country,to countries like American,ona b mate??before and after 1960,they av been on dia own.they were there on our naming ceremony,lol

Bollywood movies are producing English movies.thats true.
But when they started were they using English??

If igbo start speaking igbo in their films,do you think they will be popular and sell as d yoruba movies do??.no

I'm not comparing. I'm only giving you the position of Nollywood in the world, which happens to be interswitched between tow great nations of the world -America and India.

@Bold...LOL. Who told you that? How can you be so sure? In the past Igbo-language movies sold more than Yoruba movies all over Nigeria. Movies such as Nneka the Pretty serpent, Rattlesnake(Ahanna), Blood Money etc were very popular over Nigeria. Let's go down the memory lane a little. As at 1962, the Yorubas started producing their own films, before any Nigerian tribe, you're aware of this right? Meanwhile the Igbos were busy fighting an unprecedented war in their homeland. Almost 2 decades later, the Igbos launched their own Igbo movie industry which produced Igbo language movies. Between 1985 and 1995, they proudced terrific Igbo-language movies that rocked Igboland and beyond. Talk Igbo movies, talk about Nneka the Pretty serpent, Rattlesnake(Ahanna), Blood Money etc.The climax of this frenzy occurred with the release of Living in Bondage which sold all over Nigeria. By the early 1990s, Igbo language movies had overtaken the Yoruba movies in Nigeria. It was very common to find people of other ethnicities in possession of Igbo movies than Yoruba. We had this Ibibio(from Akwa Ibom) family friend of my dad's. I used to visit his house frequently and I saw his movie collections in his parlor - all were Igbo-Language movies of that time - 90s. Note that as at then, Nollywood as we know it today hadn't been merged together and the name wasn't existing. It is observed that Yoruba movies were rarely sold beyond the SW region. Infact, while growing up as a child I never watched or saw a Yoruba movie live here in the East, even till now, yet Igbo-language movies were being sold in SW.

From history, it is clear that your argument is baseless. If Igbos act Igbo-only movies, believe me they'll make great sales as well. The natural business acumen is already.

Igbos started making movies much later than Yorubas who were the first but today Igbos have overtaken. Look what they did out of Nollywood. Had Nigeria depended on Yoruba movies only - which sell mostly in the SW, Nollywood wouldn't have been where it is today. Its a simple admission of the truth.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 1:35am On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: How many American/korean etc have ever shot any film in enugu??
You are adding igbo movies+normal Nigeria(English) movies together.
Igbo acted/produced/direct movies.
They speak English,which will make everybody to buy it.main purpose is for everybody to buy d movies,so that they can have dia money.

They can never at all if they wia speaking igbo.
The yorubas knew that not everybody in Nigeria will buy the film.b4 they started but thank God today.

@Bold...that's one of the reasons the switch to English was made - to increase the industry's income revenue and today Nollywood is the world's second richest movie industry. However, Igbo language movies were not abandoned totally.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13)

Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Fulani Siddika Sanusi's Bridal Shower (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.