Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23123 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Dude Imac has Yoruba keyboard format, wikipedia has hundreds of pages in Yoruba option. Google can be viewed in Yoruba

Which Google can be viewed in Yoruba?
ngwa, click the Yoruba highlight in Google and tell me whether u will see anything.
All these fake excitement u ppl are exhibiting on this thread sef.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Sagamite(m): 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
atuks: It is estimated that, if nothing is done, half of 6000 plus languages spoken today will disappear by the end of this century. With the disappearance of unwritten and undocumented languages, humanity would lose not only a cultural wealth but also important ancestral knowledge embedded, in particular, in indigenous languages. “The death of a language is like the burning of a library.”
Ethnologist lists Nigeria as having 15 endangered languages,
According to the study of a research carried out in 2007 in Imo and Lagos state to test Igbo competency level of three age groups , aged 1-5 and,6-11,and adults, a grim picture awaits the language . The report shows that seventy percent of children between 6-11 years and ninety percent of children aged five years and below were unable to speak Igbo language . The Igbo language will likely become extinct in the next fifty years.
Many Yoruba adults and young elements – wittingly or unwittingly have declare a ceaseless war against their own language as it is their common enemy .
Ngugi wa thiong ‘o a popular Kenyan novelist said “for me enslavement is knowing all the languages of the world ,but you don’t known your own” Empowerment is when you know your own language and you add other languages to it
The way forward is too urge us all to start speaking in mother tongue to our children at home, we should promote our language and encourage our children to speak it .

One thing I have noticed here is the rampant desire to name Igbo kids with English names rather than Igbo names.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

ngwa, click the Yoruba highlight in Google and tell me whether u will see anything.

Even after accessing Google Yoruba, and entering your search word, he result search page will still come out in English. Its not as if the websites on the result page will be in Yoruba. It will still be in English. Same for Hausa google or Igbo google.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 6:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

I prefer to read in Yoruba, I once had a free 30days Yoruba keyboard, I always typed in Yoruba. If I can thousands who love the Yoruba language would too.

And to ur posts about cubans not speaking Yoruba. Maybe u don't know any Cuban santero. I chat wit them in Yoruba.

Ok. That's fine. I believe more people should tow your line.

@bold...don't misquote me. The people you chat with learnt it on their own. To them, its a second language. But you shouldn't generalize it to mean all Cubans speak Yoruba, which you know isn't the case. I speak a bit of Spanish and can communicate with a spanish-speaking person to an extent. I have about 4 friends of mine who are spanish crazy, who speak and write good spanish. The spanish-speaking foreigner at the other end of the world will make the fallacy of generalization if he generalizes that Nigerians speak spanish just because 'he knows 5/6 Nigerians who he chats with in Spanish'.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 6:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
Inyanga: Efik & Ibibio (Calabar) can never be an extinct, it can only evolve

maybe the two can merge and evolve together
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

So as an Igbo speaker, am not prepared for the future, o kwa ya?
One's indigenous language cannot prepare him/her for the future, o kwa ya?
When some ppl talk, I marvel at .............
I didint say that. May be you didnt get my point. Of course learning as many language as you can is an added advantage. To drive home my point, perhaps lets look at two extremes:
Given two options: Igbo or English, which one will you get you child to learn in today's world. Personally, I will choose English. That is not to say that he/she shouldnt learn a local language but it is of less priotity and i wouldnt worry about it as some parents do in vain.
In Nigerian context, what is more important is to be able to speak a language with which you can relate to every Nigerian, not a parochail language.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

I admit it needs improvement, only a few links in Yoruba are shown.

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Ok. That's fine. I believe more people should tow your line.

@bold...don't misquote me. The people you chat with learnt it on their own. To them, its a second language. But you shouldn't generalize it to mean all Cubans speak Yoruba, which you know isn't the case. I speak a bit of Spanish and can communicate with a spanish-speaking person to an extent. I have about 4 friends of mine who are spanish crazy, who speak and write good spanish. The spanish-speaking foreigner at the other end of the world will make the fallacy of generalization if he generalizes that Nigerians speak spanish just because 'he knows 5/6 Nigerians who he chats with in Spanish'.

Mr man u are the one mis-understanding me. I never said all of Cuba speaks Yoruba,

All of Nigeria doesn't speak English

All I said is I chat with Cubans in Yoruba language, most of them claim to be lukumi tribe of ethnic ancient Oyo, and still speak the language not only in prayer but in communication
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

So as an Igbo speaker, am not prepared for the future, o kwa ya?
One's indigenous language cannot prepare him/her for the future, o kwa ya?
When some ppl talk, I marvel at .............
Again, it comes down to individual choice. If you want to be a custodian and preservator of your local culture and language, your view about this will be different from mine. But, there are not many disadvantages (there are but they are not materia enough to worry about) in not speaking any of the Nigerian main languages: Ibo/Yoruba/Hausa.
So many people will abuse me for saying this out of sentiment but i stand to be corrected on facts.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2: Speak the language that will enable you be the best God has created you to be before you exit this planet into eternity. Some people are so afraid of losing their cultural identity. The only identity that lasts is Identity in Christ. Anything other than that, you are wasting your time in fighting a battle you will lose. There are languages that wont get you anywhere in this world (this may well include your ethnic language), so why bother. The earlier you know this, the sooner you will be free, else you will continue to be troubled by something that doesnt matter.
Blunt as usual. However you are 100% right this time. It must be said the people here arguing vehemently in favour of the preservation of Nigeria's native tongues are swimming against the tide.
The world has in fact already become a global village with peoples from every kind of background and culture interacting with each other in work and business and play. The sooner ALL Nigerian parents EMPHASISE AND PRIRIOTIZE the teaching of languages like English French Spanish and Chinese to their children the better it would be for these kids in the modern world.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by grandpoh(m): 7:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
OMO YORUBA LEMI O
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Mr man u are the one mis-understanding me. I never said all of Cuba speaks Yoruba,

All of Nigeria doesn't speak English

All I said is I chat with Cubans in Yoruba language, most of them claim to be lukumi tribe of ethnic ancient Oyo, and still speak the language not only in prayer but in communication
And then what is the position of Cuba today?. Are they not backward? That a few Cubans speak a form of Yoruba/Bini is of no importance or relevance to this discussion.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think this is a very good model cos the reason Igbo language is dying is because a lot of Igbos migrate out of their ancestral home. If we had at least 90% of Igbos living or having lived in Igboland then most Igbos will know how to speak the language. Most people who speak Igbo today are people who are either above 25 years and above or have lived measurably in Igboland.

People move about because, principally, they want to earn a living. In fact there are many times more Igbos living outside Igboland than within it.
There really is no big deal about those that make their living outside their 'home' region and have permanently migrated away to continue to spend valuable time learning and speaking the language when it is very rarely needed there.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Originalsly: 8:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
taiocol: yoruba is the 3rd most spoken language in cuba. Yet there ar so dumb.
Hmmm...."there ar so dumb". ...and Cuba with common c...and you are calling people dumb. Dummy...if you can...find out the literacy standing of Cuba. "He who knows not and knows not he knows not is a fool". @topic....language is part of one's culture/heritage. I think a child should learn the mother tongue first and anything else after. I spoke with a Fulani guy in NY last year...and we spoke about language preservation. I was surprised when he said his kids speak fluent English...they are Americans...but in the home English is not allowed unless to speak to a visitor. Made sense to me and this is what all should do to preserve their history as long as possible.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by 2scorehigh(m): 8:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
Choi...ọtụ ọcha!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Omila007: 8:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2:
people like you will waste their time trying to get their kids to learn how to speak Yoruba/Hausa/Ibo/etc. When they grow, they wont even be bothered.

What I am trying to say is that priority should be to speak a language that helps you fufil your potential. I am Ibo but speaking Igbo language is the least of my priority and that will apply to what i get my children to speak. I will focus on getting them to speak a language that prepares them for the future (unless they want to contest for local govenment election which i doubt will ever happen lol).

There is a story I would have love to tell your to educate you but because you abused me, i wont bother tongue

We have loss this one.
Even referring to himself as IBO instead of IGBO.
I agree that learning languages that will help you fulfill your potential is an advantage but then Not being able to identify with the language of your heritage is not something to be proud of neither.
An American of german or Irish heritage appreciates anyone who speaks the language.
Your heritage and language is your history and who you are.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Omila007: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

u mean 90% of Igbo stay outside d east?

Who is this Afam guy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 8:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
tensor777:
And then what is the position of Cuba today?. Are they not backward? That a few Cubans speak a form of Yoruba/Bini is of no importance or relevance to this discussion.

You make such a stupid comment. Who placed Cuba backward? Wat do u knw about Cuba? Cuba is a very fun place, corruption and thuggery is high but they really cool and intelligent individuals.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
Omila007:

We have loss this one.
Even referring to himself as IBO instead of IGBO.
I agree that learning languages that will help you fulfill your potential is an advantage but then Not being able to identify with the language of your heritage is not something to be proud of neither.
An American of german or Irish heritage appreciates anyone who speaks the language.
Your heritage and language is your history and who you are.

Lost me from what to what?
How many of those Irish or German Americans speak German or Irish. Probabily none, and that doesnt make them less Germans or Irish. A colleague of mine is Irish; has lived in Ireland all his life (to work,he flies into London mondays and flies out on Friday). I was shocked when he told me he doesnt speak Irish. Why? Learning Irish doesnt make fit into the future he wants for himself and that doesnt make him less iris. Nigerians are so ethnically minded and wired that they dont see anything unless through the mirrows of enthnicity and it is killing us.
I went to an East African country a couple of months ago (Tanzania). Most people dont speak English because their former founding president imbibed the the kind of ethno-nationalist centiment expressed by some people here, by banning speaking English in their schools. His arguement was that English is another colonisation tool. Years later, his country are so backward, illiterate and majority of his people can not engage with the world. Irony is that his children were probabily studying abroad when this happened.
My point is that language that matter is the one that will help you win in life (and i dont think any of the languages in Nigeria is the one, although i may be wrong). Your politicians may say otherwise to give you sense of pride and make you feel good.

When people are speaking a particular language instead of another, they are are going for what will make them better people in the future. The world is changing. Change with it or you will be left behind. It is as simple as that and there is nothing you can do about it.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
This is a serious matter but true.
When you have parents insisting their kids speak and learn only english and to them it's the best. Smh...

Also it is compulsory to learn one Nigerian language in secondary school but how can you have an igbo kid studying igbo language instead of another Nigerian language and no one cares?? I learnt how to write and read yoruba in school.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2:

Lost me from what to what?
How many of those Irish or German Americans speak German or Irish. Probabily none, and that doesnt make them less Germans or Irish. A colleague of mine is Irish; has lived in Ireland all his life (to work,he flies into London mondays and flies out on Friday). I was shocked when he told me he doesnt speak Irish. Why? Learning Irish doesnt make fit into the future he wants for himself and that doesnt make him less iris. Nigerians are so ethnically minded and wired that they dont see anything unless through the mirrows of enthnicity and it is killing us.
I went to an East African country a couple of months ago (Tanzania). Most people dont speak English because their former founding president imbibed the the kind of ethno-nationalist centiment expressed by some people here, by banning speaking English in their schools. His arguement was that English is another colonisation tool. Years later, his country are so backward, illiterate and majority of his people can not engage with the world. Irony is that his children were probabily studying abroad when this happened.
My point is that language that matter is the one that will help you win in life (and i dont think any of the languages in Nigeria is the one, although i may be wrong). Your politicians may say otherwise to give you sense of pride and make you feel good.

When people are speaking a particular language instead of another, they are are going for what will make them better people in the future. The world is changing. Change with it or you will be left behind. It is as simple as that and there is nothing you can do about it.

Oh please, stop giving excuses and lame points!
no one said we should not learn or speak good english, english is already Nigeria's official language.

The issue is we should put in as much effort to learn,write and speak our indigenous languages.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 14, 2013
Joavid: This is a serious matter but true.
When you have parents insisting their kids speak and learn only english and to them it's the best. Smh...

Also it is compulsory to learn one Nigerian language in secondary school but how can you have an igbo kid studying igbo language instead of another Nigerian language and no one cares?? I learnt how to write and read yoruba in school.

What have you gained from learning how to read and write yoruba and how is it a disadvantage to someone that doesnt (but perhaps reads and writes mandarin or french)?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 14, 2013
Joavid:

Oh please, stop giving excuses and lame points!
no one said we should not learn or speak good english, english is already Nigeria's official language.

The issue is we should put in as much effort to learn,write and speak our indigenous languages.
you dont need to put effort to get people to do it. People will naturally do it if that is good for them. You are going to waste your time with those effort because the very objects of those efforts dont care.
You are just sentimental about it.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
There is hope then! The trend is good for Nigeria. That means future generations will know only one language and that will reduce the ethnic divisions that have destroyed Nigeria over the years.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2:

What have you gained from learning how to read and write yoruba and how is it a disadvantage to someone that doesnt (but perhaps reads and writes mandarin or french)?

I read,write and speak french and I had the roots from that same secondary school.

Mandarin languages is what am taking up next.
I speak igbo as well and it is never a waste.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 10:00pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2: There is hope then! The trend is good for Nigeria. That means future generations will know only one language and that will reduce the ethnic divisions that have destroyed Nigeria over the years.

Ethnic division has destroyed Nigeria was Nigeria not a land area of different ethnic groups from the beginning?

U think Nigeria is a country of same people, same culture, same language

U lack sense, u think if Spain,Portugal and France had been merged by force their languages would be known?

U mentioned Irish not knowing their language, I know a woman from Celtic who wishes she could speak her language over English.

There's pride in self independence and knowledge of personal identity.

I can never give up Yoruba, because generations to come would wish I kept it strong for them

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2:
you dont need to put effort to get people to do it. People will naturally do it if that is good for them. You are going to waste your time with those effort because the very objects of those efforts dont care.
You are just sentimental about it.
Kaiii! This is one of the reasons I hate to banter words with nairalanders.
What did I say? And what are you saying?
Or perhaps you have a problem with comprehension??
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nimen(m): 10:57pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: shut up you bloody liar!

Psquare sings in 45% pidgin english, 20% english, 10% igbo, 10% yoruba and 5% jargons.

As for flavour, compare him with 9ice and seem like you are comparing mikel obi and usain bolt in terms of speed cos 9ice rocks while flavour sucks.

thatz completely wrong the last time a 9ice song sold was Gonga aso, i don't listen to much Flavour buh every of his track is a hit track, don't worry you'll dance ada ada on friday night. Without Igbo and Yoruba tribes there'll be nothing called the entertainment industry in Nigeria if there is it will be at the same scale with Zimbabwean industry and 60% of people who built the Nigerian Entertainment industry are igbos pls learn to respect other tribes
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nimen(m): 11:18pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: yoruba is spoken in benin, togo, ivoqy coast, brazil, cuba, jamaica etc so 9ice's music has a wider prospect of global acceptance than flavour's music which doesnt exceed alaigbo making him a regional star.

another lie... I have yoruba and efik friends who bring these songs to me so i can translate it for them buh please don't get ahead of yourself, less than five hundred people speak yoruba in the americas while in WAfrica only Togo and parts of Benin speak Yoruba. Igbo people are well traveled and they listen to Igbo songs wherever they are plus most parts of Jamaica and Sierra Leone speak Igbo
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by hunter21(m): 11:19pm On Nov 14, 2013
ochallo: If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.
SLAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Fulani Siddika Sanusi's Bridal Shower (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.