Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,642 members, 7,955,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23532 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 14, 2013
Those supporting not to change are the same people who are against traditional religion and beliefs. Indeed, some take Christianity and Islam as if they are their forefathers'.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lilimax: Parents should teach their children their native language very early in life.

I am Igbo and I write and speak the language fluently.
I am also making frantic effort to ensure that my children speaks the language too.
So far, they're picking up...
in yoruba land, children dont pick yoruba language up, its born with them, even non-yoruba children speak it well too cos we promote it in movies and music.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by newmaonza: 2:18pm On Nov 14, 2013
calebo101: What is superior in speaking your local dialect? Is it not same dialect 'your people' would sell you with? Inferiority complex my foot! I better learn french or Chinese that would better my prospect globally.

U think they r selling u in ur dialect.....Wait till a Chinese man sells u,& u run back 2 ur people speaking english?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
Part of the problems we have in this world is ethnic chauvinism.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by EzePromoe: 2:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
None of Nigeria's major languages can go extinct in my opinion. It is like a competition between the three ethnicities to preserve their languages, and save it from going extinct before that of their counterparts.

I foresee in the future (like 100 years to come) the fusion of all languages into each other, maybe then there will be call for a united Nigerian lingo.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 2:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: shut up you this IGBO smoking man, you are not yoruba.

75% of HIT MUSIC in africa contains yoruba language.

Angelique kidjo won 3 grammy awards singing in yoruba and she is from benin republic.

as a respectable Yoruba boy I won't abuse you back. I refer to intellect not violence. Now bk to d matter. our young Teens in d city r no more speaking so hence the reason for my fears. Is Angelique Kidjo 5 or 18 years old. no. She is of the old generation my fear is of the new.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by BarryX(m): 2:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: shut up you bloody liar!

Psquare sings in 45% pidgin english, 20% english, 10% igbo, 10% yoruba and 5% jargons.

As for flavour, compare him with 9ice and seem like you are comparing mikel obi and usain bolt in terms of speed cos 9ice rocks while flavour sucks.
Now this statement is rather unwise than wise

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
Tee-gurlee.:

I know a bit of enor. Mogo lege sogo egonongo. Do u understand dat?
i no know enor o. I heard my mum speaking it once to someone. So wats the meaning of what u said??
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
BarryX: Now this statement is rather unwise than wise
when something doesnt favour you, you brand it unwise
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Lilimax(f): 2:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: in yoruba land, children dont pick yoruba language up, its born with them, even non-yoruba children speak it well too cos we promote it in movies and music.
ssshhh sad!
I have a lot of yoruba friends and colleagues.
They are facing the same issue with their children simply because they did not teach them the language early in life.

We've determined to teach our little ones their mother tongues.
It is working as they are picking up the language very fast.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
stevebond007:

as a respectable Yoruba boy I won't abuse you back. I refer to intellect not violence.
i repeat, you are not a yoruba boy!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by igbsam(m): 2:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
Yoruba Language will be very difficult to fade away easily. I went to Benin Republic (cotonou) on a business/official trip. When i got there, the man i went to see could not speak nor understand english but only french language, i could not speak french but only english, yoruba, igbo, okpe and urhobo language fluently. It became difficult for me. while i was there staring at him and waiting for an interpreter he asked to come around, a call came in through my MTN Phone (Roaming) and then i was speaking with the person on the other end in yoruba language, the man stood up, walked to me and spoke to me in yoruba language. I was shocked.

He said to me, they also speak yoruba there in benin republic (this was like 5yrs ago). He told me that 80% of the people living in Benin Republic speak and understand yoruba fluently.

I also got to know that some part of Jaimaca speak yoruba, how true ?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Kaminus: 2:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
1 shortblackboy: I didn't mean civilisation in d sense which u are using it. Meant it in d sense of the genral progression of mankind. Man and society has never been static. Some aspects of culture are done away with while some are borrowed from other cultures. And some are even invented. Language which is an aspect of culture is subject to these changes. Eg d English we speak today is not thesame spoken some 200 yrs ago
...............spoken like a sage, we re observing yhu kind!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by BarryX(m): 2:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
My native language might go extinct........

Probably due to widespread inter-ethnic marriages and rapid-over urbanization which in turn create that lingua loophole
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lilimax: ssshhh sad!
They are facing the same issue with their children simply because they did not teach them the language early in life.

keep quiet, liar.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 2:31pm On Nov 14, 2013
I don't think Igbo language will go into extinction in the next 50 years like posited though i think among the tripod(Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba), Igbo will probably be the first that will go into extinction if someone drastic is not done and the reasons are obvious. For a lot of Igbos in the 21st century, being formally educated goes hand in hand with not knowing how to speak Igbo. It seems the more educated we get, the more likely we throw away our cultural artifacts and become more English than the English themselves. A society that considers ones ability to speak fluent, unadulterated English as being Intelligent will have a lot of problems sustaining it's indigenous language and it's a shame that the Igbo language is mostyl at the receiving end.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Waspy(m): 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
ochallo:
P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.
Tales by Moonlight grin
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Teegurlee(f): 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
booqee: i no know enor o. I heard my mum speaking it once to someone. So wats the meaning of what u said??
lol! It simply means 'I can speak eno'.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by BarryX(m): 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: when something doesnt favour you, you brand it unwise
Favour is relative ,

I just pointed out that your agenda sounds unwise not that I'm looking for a "favourable" condition.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 2:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: i repeat, you are not a yoruba boy!

I agree with your facts Yoruba is spoken in Togo , we speak Yoruba in our movies. But I believe I have made a point that could be taken upon to prevent the extinction of my precious undiluted Yoruba.

do you know me in person to assume i'm not Yoruba? Oluseyi is d name I pledge to be a custodian of the language. don't know about you
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by EzePromoe: 2:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
Afam4eva: I don't think Igbo language will go into extinction in the next 50 years like posited though i think among the tripod(Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba), Igbo will probably be the first that will go into extinction if someone drastic is not done and the reasons are obvious. For a lot of Igbos in the 21st century, being formally educated goes hand in hand with not knowing how to speak Igbo. It seems the more educated we get, the more likely we throw away our cultural artifacts and become more English than the English themselves. A society that considers ones ability to speak fluent, unadulterated English as being Intelligent will have a lot of problems sustaining it's indigenous language and it's a shame that the Igbo language is mostyl at the receiving end.
Before either Igbo would be going into extinction, all the minority languages might have gone into extinction.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 14, 2013
Let's adopt the Swedish model. In their schools, it is COMPULSORY to do English in school, they are even taught in English in some cases. so they speak English without funny accents which makes them marketable world wide. Some even learn french and German. At the same time, they pay attention to their local language, so many swedes i know speak both languages, some even speak three perfectly. A case of eating your cake and having it. But here, it is either not paying attention to English or world spoken languages at all [ their children will pay for it in future] or not paying to your local language at all, which is also wrong. Think about this.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 2:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
Eze Promoe: None of Nigeria's major languages can go extinct in my opinion. It is like a competition between the three ethnicities to preserve their languages, and save it from going extinct before that of their counterparts.

I foresee in the future (like 100 years to come) the fusion of all languages into each other, maybe then there will be call for a united Nigerian lingo.

Olorun oni je ko se le. A united Nigerian lingo could help stop tribalism and improve a lot but As a Yoruba that's a bad idea because our identity and personal culture would be lost in the process.

I prefer Oodua nation where all dialects are merged, or even only the Lagos dialet is spoken
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by iHustle(m): 2:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
I love languages. I won't like to see any of our languages die.

Fellow NigerIans, let us hail our creativity. We invented the 'broken English' which is widely use in Nigeria and beyond. We invented this beautiful language in less than 54 years. I think that's a record. Some of you won't value 'broken' as a language until you go abroad and meet other NigerIans. In my opinion, it should be made our second official language.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Lilimax(f): 2:45pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: keep quiet, liar.
grin thank you.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 2:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Before either Igbo would be going into extinction, all the minority languages might have gone into extinction.
Most definitely but has it now come to the extent when we compare the Igbo langaue with other minority languages? The only reason why those minority languages will die off before Igbo is just due to the poopulation of Igbo speakers who mostly in the Igboland. I can tell you that those Minority languages are even more preserved than Igbo. It's a shame really.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Jobabori(m): 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
Most of the Nigerians languages that are vastly going into extinction are mostly in multilingual states like Plateu, Bauchi, Adamawa, Taraba and Gombe. We may not have an accurate estimate the extent of this loss if we focus our attention on Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Fulfulde and other major Nigerian language.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lilimax: ssshhh sad!

We've determined to teach our little ones their mother tongues.
It is working as they are picking up the language very fast.
Picking up the language is one thing and sustaining it is another. Who will those children be speaking Igbo with? I grew up knowing how to speak passive Igbo in Lagos but the problem i had was whom to speak with. In all the schools i attended Igbo made up at least 20% of the population and when someone who's Igbo comes across you and says "Are you Igbo? I'm Igbo too". That's where it stops. It doesn't get to the extent where i start conversing in Igbo with the person because the person most likely cannot speak Igbo. How can someone be proud of being Igbo or highlight that fact everywhere but can't speak the language.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Sike(m): 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof: Yoruba can never be extinct, it can only evolve
NEVER!!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 2:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
igbsam: Yoruba Language will be very difficult to fade away easily. I went to Benin Republic (cotonou) on a business/official trip. When i got there, the man i went to see could not speak nor understand english but only french language, i could not speak french but only english, yoruba, igbo, okpe and urhobo language fluently. It became difficult for me. while i was there staring at him and waiting for an interpreter he asked to come around, a call came in through my MTN Phone (Roaming) and then i was speaking with the person on the other end in yoruba language, the man stood up, walked to me and spoke to me in yoruba language. I was shocked.

He said to me, they also speak yoruba there in benin republic (this was like 5yrs ago). He told me that 80% of the people living in Benin Republic speak and understand yoruba fluently.

I also got to know that some part of Jaimaca speak yoruba, how true ?

Very true.

2nd language in Benin republic is Yoruba, but their dialect is so tough to understand.

Togo and Sierra Leone also speak Yoruba in Africa

While Cuba, Jamaica and Brazil speaks in Americas
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by JUST2SEXZY(f): 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lots of language has gone 2 extinction naaah......why scared if any of ours follows?.....anyways, yuh hav poin thr.....we shld reali find ways in whc our youth wil speak thr lang @least once a while insted of dis eng al da tym.....
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by neohitler(m): 2:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: Indians love their language...their movies are in punjabvi language

hausas love their language...their movies are in hausa language

yorubas love their language...their movies are in yoruba language

IGBOs love their language...their movies are in ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Cluelessness
Typical Ape.no wonder you guys look like Apes.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Igbos Are Truely One Of The Original Jews! / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Edo Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.