Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,169 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23104 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by atuks(m): 11:50am On Nov 12, 2013
It is estimated that, if nothing is done, half of 6000 plus languages spoken today will disappear by the end of this century. With the disappearance of unwritten and undocumented languages, humanity would lose not only a cultural wealth but also important ancestral knowledge embedded, in particular, in indigenous languages. “The death of a language is like the burning of a library.”
Ethnologist lists Nigeria as having 15 endangered languages,
According to the study of a research carried out in 2007 in Imo and Lagos state to test Igbo competency level of three age groups , aged 1-5 and,6-11,and adults, a grim picture awaits the language . The report shows that seventy percent of children between 6-11 years and ninety percent of children aged five years and below were unable to speak Igbo language . The Igbo language will likely become extinct in the next fifty years.
Many Yoruba adults and young elements – wittingly or unwittingly have declare a ceaseless war against their own language as it is their common enemy .
Ngugi wa thiong ‘o a popular Kenyan novelist said “for me enslavement is knowing all the languages of the world ,but you don’t known your own” Empowerment is when you know your own language and you add other languages to it
The way forward is too urge us all to start speaking in mother tongue to our children at home, we should promote our language and encourage our children to speak it .

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Freiburger(m): 5:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
shocked shocked shocked This calls for some concern. But we 've got a federal Ministry that should be taking care of this.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by ladionline: 9:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ability to speak english by a child is the beginning of wisdom to baby boomers in the southwest now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by 1shortblackboy: 8:03am On Nov 13, 2013
a whole latin is all but extinct na our own una dey talk. its all part of civilisation. nobody speaks d language of the ancient Eyptians either

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by ladionline: 1:02pm On Nov 13, 2013
^^I'M PROUD OF YOU.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 2:11pm On Nov 13, 2013
Yoruba can never be extinct, it can only evolve

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
macof: Yoruba can never be extinct, it can only evolve

lol. I hope so.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by atuks(m): 3:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
1 shortblackboy: a whole latin is all but extinct na our own una dey talk. its all part of civilisation. nobody speaks d language of the ancient Eyptians either
that is latin not our language do u think d latin people will be happy that their language is gone? u dont know d value of what u have until u lose it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by MamiWata: 4:30am On Nov 14, 2013
1 shortblackboy: a whole latin is all but extinct na our own una dey talk. its all part of civilisation. nobody speaks d language of the ancient Eyptians either

Leaving our languages behind has nothing to do with being "civilized."

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by 1shortblackboy: 8:54am On Nov 14, 2013
MamiWata:

Leaving our languages behind has nothing to do with being "civilized."
I didn't mean civilisation in d sense which u are using it. Meant it in d sense of the genral progression of mankind. Man and society has never been static. Some aspects of culture are done away with while some are borrowed from other cultures. And some are even invented. Language which is an aspect of culture is subject to these changes. Eg d English we speak today is not thesame spoken some 200 yrs ago

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by ochallo: 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by 9jahubcom(m): 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Na WA
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Chimzy2(m): 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hmmm, interesting post, I will take up with the ministry of culture and I will make sure this issue is resolved before it gets out of hand

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by sexkillzmother(f): 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
no wonder my Igbo neighour's children preferring to speak Yoruba to Igbo here in Lagos. i dnt think Yoruba lang can fade away.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Regiblinkz(m): 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
tragedy
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 14, 2013
what about this language of fagafigifogofefe.. Blah blah blah. I think its called enor. Our generation don't know it. Dat one too go disappear
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by taiocol: 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
yoruba is the 3rd most spoken language in cuba. Yet there ar so dumb.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by johnwizey: 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
Dis is wat we av wen evryone wants his/her child to speak queen's english. Sum of dis languages will go extinct vry soon if notin is done abt it
#proudly Yoruba

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nothing will ever make me speak English to my child' NAWA for modern Parents. Its not like the English they speak to their Kids is Standard'

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by venous(f): 1:33pm On Nov 14, 2013
Chimzy2: Hmmm, interesting post, I will take up with the ministry of culture and I will make sure this issue is resolved before it gets out of hand
i di kwa sure?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by homesteady(m): 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hausa is the last language that will ever go into extinction

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
When you lose your language you lose your culture! This must not be allowed to happen.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Godsate: 1:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
As long as there is Owambe, yoruba language cannot disappear. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by wheesin(m): 1:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
Abeg no fear bro... Nothing go do PIDGIN ENGILISH.... E dey kampe like mama bomboys ponmo

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by taiocol: 1:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
homesteady: Hausa is the last language that will ever go into extinction
yea. There hav never known english or any other language. grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 14, 2013
[

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 14, 2013
homesteady: Hausa is the last language that will ever go into extinction
i agree with you

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
True. But i don't believe that a language spoken by 45 million people will go extinct. It will only be modified, as words from other languages will be fused into it. If you read novels in old english, you go bow.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nimen(m): 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2013

Into Igbo

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by toprealman: 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
As in kilo happen?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 1:41pm On Nov 14, 2013
its so sad the way parents and guardians discourage der kids from speaking their mother tongue. Some think that when their kids speak English dey look exotic or intelligent. FYI the ability to speak more than 1 lang makes one intelligent. Look at the likes of Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe learned vastly in their mother tongue and Excelled in the White man's language. Missed placed priorities. In some years to come it has been predicted the same white man would come teach us our language.

I pledge to promote my language.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by dridowu: 1:43pm On Nov 14, 2013
Honestly most of our indigeneous language are on there way to extinction, most of our parents have done more harm to the language, imagine some parents beating their children for speaking in their local language . Some time i wonder while would a parent speak english with their children when you can communicate easily in your language. That is y i love speaking my Yoruba Language, anytime anywhere anyplace , i only speak in english where i believe is needed anything outside that is my foot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / The Black Race Is Unintelligent.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.