Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,049 members, 7,956,903 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:03 PM

Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? (5003 Views)

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? / Profound Statements That Will Surely Change The Way You Think / Her Boyfriend Won't Reveal His Surname And Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 10:04am On Nov 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Mr Bellong, may u live long!
I am almost going insane here!
And even if u never liked their father, u hv no right whatesoever to change their name. U won't even win. Not in my culture.
I'm just hearing this for the first time here.
U ve been scarce? Hope all is well?

Mr BB, stop pulling my legs abegi.
NL argument dey wear me out honestly.

Interestingly I am not pulling your legs at all.. I am saying lets look at all possible angles
Its not an argument thing but really looking at the facts of the case

Lets consider your culture... if a man dies with a young widow and children.. what happens to the kids...
please tell...

did you read the links i posted on legal adoption
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 10:04am On Nov 14, 2013
welcome bellong.. some time
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by bellong: 10:29am On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1: welcome bellong.. some time

Thanks bro... How are you doing?
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 14, 2013
Mr BB, my hand dey pain me o but I will tell u how its done in my place.

When a young widow with kids remarry in my place, Its expected she carry the kids along with her. Infact its one of the pre requisites. The new husband automatically becomes a guardian and new daddy to those kids. At times when they r too young to know what happened, they will grow up calling and assuming d new dad is their biological dad. Eventually they will know one way or d other.
Now, some grow up and marry from d new daddy's home. For the gals, during marriage,she will marry at d biological daddy's home. For the guys, once they hv matured, they will love to start identifying with their father's pple.

This in no way stops or hinders their r/ship with the new daddy or step bros and sis. They r still like family and will continue to be so but they hv to represent where they came from.
If tomoro, they become independent and whatever, everything they will do for their biological father is still what they will do for this new dad. And their other half is integral part of them too.

They don't ever change name. Its never done. Meanwhile contrary to some beliefs, some relatives r very good to these children and their mum and r always on d look out for them. At times d lady don't remarry and the late husbandis pple supports her and her kids.
*sighs*
Not all relatives r wicked.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 11:02am On Nov 14, 2013
so many views with vital reasons... This is getting more serious than i thought it to be.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 14, 2013
And the late husband's family will allow her? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 12:13pm On Nov 14, 2013
i dey hold my side..
bellong:

Thanks bro... How are you doing?

Thanks YPP for your time explaining the cultural practice.
Now lets look at it

THis is the reason why widows are typically doomed to a life of singlehood since it is expected for a man to be the guardian even of the other man;s kids.

So whats the motive of the man to take the new responsibility as he will have his own kids too later

Some relatives are good granted but lets not assume this is the norm

Back to topic...This man wants to marry his woman and be responsible to the kids of his own accord. Whats the matter of a name

If the hubby's family are so caring, why are they not in the picture of the kids...

Nice debate though ...

yellowpawpaw: Mr BB, my hand dey pain me o but I will tell u how its done in my place.

When a young widow with kids remarry in my place, Its expected she carry the kids along with her. Infact its one of the pre requisites. The new husband automatically becomes a guardian and new daddy to those kids. At times when they r too young to know what happened, they will grow up calling and assuming d new dad is their biological dad. Eventually they will know one way or d other.
Now, some grow up and marry from d new daddy's home. For the gals, during marriage,she will marry at d biological daddy's home. For the guys, once they hv matured, they will love to start identifying with their father's pple.

This in no way stops or hinders their r/ship with the new daddy or step bros and sis. They r still like family and will continue to be so but they hv to represent where they came from.
If tomoro, they become independent and whatever, everything they will do for their biological father is still what they will do for this new dad. And their other half is integral part of them too.

They don't ever change name. Its never done. Meanwhile contrary to some beliefs, some relatives r very good to these children and their mum and r always on d look out for them. At times d lady don't remarry and the late husbandis pple supports her and her kids.
*sighs*
Not all relatives r wicked.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 12:18pm On Nov 14, 2013
@OP can you tell us a bit about your late husband's family
Have you engaged them in respect of your coming marriage
What are their views especially as relating to the kids
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
They can just start afresh and have the family change to an entirely different name altogether.

Eg an english name, a random name from the bible, a first name they both agree on which could be used as the surname, etc.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 2:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1: @OP can you tell us a bit about your late husband's family
Have you engaged them in respect of your coming marriage
What are their views especially as relating to the kids
iv never married sir or madam
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 2:56pm On Nov 14, 2013
^ check my previous post.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 3:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
tpia@:
^ check my previous post.
already did dat... Wats with it?
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 3:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
kambili999: iv never married sir or madam

I dont get you ma... you have kids for a man but were not able to complete the marriage trites.. is that correct

In that case, what is the relationship of your late fiance's family to you at the present time
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 14, 2013
For me, I wouldn't change the name of my kids to any new husband.
They have an identity. They have relations, cousins, uncles etc.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 3:31pm On Nov 14, 2013
Chillisauce: For me, I wouldn't change the name of my kids to any new husband.
They have an identity. They have relations, cousins, uncles etc.

You are not a widow and may have a superb hubby family...

Some are not so lucky smiley
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 3:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
kambili999: already did dat... Wats with it?

Thats an option.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

You are not a widow and may have a superb hubby family...

Some are not so lucky smiley

It doesn't matter, I will toil for those children day and night to protect their identity with or without my in laws help.
Even if I didn't love their father, I see no reason why I won't do it for the children I love.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 3:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
It doesnt necessarily mean the man is against the kids, he may be trying to protect them.

Changing names isnt too unusual in nigeria, many people do change their names at some point.

The whole family can just switch to an english name or a christian one. They can also choose a general name in their language.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 3:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

I dont get you ma... you have kids for a man but were not able to complete the marriage trites.. is that correct

In that case, what is the relationship of your late fiance's family to you at the present time

sir, the lady in question is my cousin's close friend. Not me.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
Chillisauce:

It doesn't matter, I will toil for those children day and night to protect their identity with or without my in laws help.
Even if I didn't love their father, I see no reason why I won't do it for the children I love.

that is your ball...

if i were female, why i will keep a name of a family that neglected me with my child or keep a name of a man that abandoned me with my kids...

Still sentiment

Inlaws will now come and reap where they did not sow
Thats why some stewpid fadas will deliberately leave kids up and down saying he will look for me when he is old

I am not excusing using a child gainst the fada (or family) where the man or his family wants to be a part of the child's life
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2013
kambili999: sir, the lady in question is my cousin's close friend. Not me.

No problem what is the relationship with the man's family...
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

that is your ball...

if i were female, why i will keep a name of a family that neglected me with my child or keep a name of a man that abandoned me with my kids...

Still sentiment

Inlaws will now come and reap where they did not sow
Thats why some stewpid fadas will deliberately leave kids up and down saying he will look for me when he is old

I am not excusing using a child gainst the fada (or family) where the man or his family wants to be a part of the child's life

This is someone you were married to.not a single parent Ish.
I don't care of in laws, I care of doing the right thing.
That's just my opinion. The right thing is they belong somewhere.

The only exception here is maybe for immigration purposes, I will just know how to hyphen their fathers name with my new husband name or mine.
Their faters name is going no where.
Even if the name long wella, I just reduce it.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
I dont think a woman keeps her late husband's name when she remarries?

Generally speaking.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 3:49pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nice debate .... smiley

Chillisauce:

This is someone you were married to.not a single parent Ish.
I don't care of in laws, I care of doing the right thing.
That's just my opinion. The right thing is they belong somewhere.

The only exception here is maybe for immigration purposes, I will just know how to hyphen their fathers name with my new husband name or mine.
Their faters name is going no where.
Even if the name long wella, I just reduce it.

Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 3:49pm On Nov 14, 2013
tpia@:
I dont think a woman keeps her late husband's name when she remarries?

Generally speaking.

The issue here is actually about the kids not the woman
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 3:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
tpia@:

Thats an option.
of course, it is appreciated.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 3:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

The issue here is actually about the kids not the woman

Changing their name doesnt necessarily mean they'll lose their identity.

They will lose part of their identity, yes, but sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons of a situation.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 3:55pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

No problem what is the relationship with the man's family...
she doesnt seem to flow with them properly from d little apuroko i did. D late man was very wealthy n his mum wanted her to marry one of her late hubby's younger bro, prolly to circulate d wealth coz she and the kids were willed a large portion of it
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 14, 2013
tpia@:

They will lose part of their identity, yes, but sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons of a situation.
Changing their names means losing their identity completely. What stake do they hv in their late father's name again if the only binding thing is forcefully removed?

And tomorow God forbid something bad happens and they fall out of lv with the step siblings, how will they feel when they r reminded that they r not part of them?
Hv u guys tot about the emotional trauma?
If their dad was one time big boy with many ppty attached to his name and he willed them to his kids? Pls tell me how they can legally get those things if their surnames hv been changed.

I'm interested in this cos this is the first time I'm hearing this.

Even the oyibos we copy knows better.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
Frankly she needs to get them involved as marrying afresh will lead to alienation of the kids from their paternal family
If they are a family she does not want to associate with or they washed their hands off her, by all means move on

If they watn to be involved and have been involved... its more tricky

The mum looks manipulative... arrangee
kambili999: she doesnt seem to flow with them properly from d little apuroko i did. D late man was very wealthy n his mum wanted her to marry one of her late hubby's younger bro, prolly to circulate d wealth coz she and the kids were willed a large portion of it
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 4:13pm On Nov 14, 2013
why will they be fighting for property when they have been thrown away already

yellowpawpaw:
Changing their names means losing their identity completely. What stake do they hv in their late father's name again if the only binding thing is forcefully removed?

And tomorow God forbid something bad happens and they fall out of lv with the step siblings, how will they feel when they r reminded that they r not part of them?
Hv u guys tot about the emotional trauma?
If their dad was one time big boy with many ppty attached to his name and he willed them to his kids? Pls tell me how they can legally get those things if their surnames hv been changed.

I'm interested in this cos this is the first time I'm hearing this.

Even the oyibos we copy knows better.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
Its tough... changing names tends to be irrevocable//
tpia@:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Life A Blessing Or A Curse ? Or Just Pointless / Help! My Love For My Husband Keep Diminishing! / Shocking: Ex-footballer Odartey Lamptey Discovers 3 Kids With Wife Not His

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.