Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? (4706 Views)

Is It Compulsory For A Married Woman To Take On Her Husband's Surname? / Profound Statements That Will Surely Change The Way You Think / Her Boyfriend Won't Reveal His Surname And Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

that is your ball...

if i were female, why i will keep a name of a family that neglected me with my child or keep a name of a man that abandoned me with my kids...

Still sentiment

Inlaws will now come and reap where they did not sow
Thats why some stewpid fadas will deliberately leave kids up and down saying he will look for me when he is old

I am not excusing using a child gainst the fada (or family) where the man or his family wants to be a part of the child's life

Come o, where did u get all these kpomo and fish u r adding to d main dish from?
Chai! U guys can twist story very well o!
I don tire to d argue with u.
I give up.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 4:37pm On Nov 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Come o, where did u get all these kpomo and fish u r adding to d main dish from?
Chai! U guys can twist story very well o!
I don tire to d argue with u.
I give up.

pomo and fish... yumm
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by kambili999(f): 5:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

pomo and fish... yumm

lsimh
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 5:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Changing their names means losing their identity completely. What stake do they hv in their late father's name again if the only binding thing is forcefully removed?

And tomorow God forbid something bad happens and they fall out of lv with the step siblings, how will they feel when they r reminded that they r not part of them?
Hv u guys tot about the emotional trauma?
If their dad was one time big boy with many ppty attached to his name and he willed them to his kids? Pls tell me how they can legally get those things if their surnames hv been changed.

I'm interested in this cos this is the first time I'm hearing this.

Even the oyibos we copy knows better.

if there is no codicil from the family saying they have to bear the family surname in order to inherit property, changing their name shouldnt prevent them from doing so, as long as they are recognised by the family as being the man's heirs.

like i also pointed out, this is not the type of matter to just be thrown around nairaland anyhow, thats why i asked if there are no responsible elders to consult in their vicinity.

thirdly, there is no need to panic as i mentioned before. The man could be trying to look out for the best interest of the children, in his own way.

fourthly, the kids already know they are step siblings with possibly more coming. Regardless if they change their name or not, if conflict will occur it still will. Most families do have those, doesnt matter if they're step or not.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by tpia5: 5:13pm On Nov 14, 2013
Changing their names means losing their identity completely. What stake do they hv in their late father's name again if the only binding thing is forcefully removed?

their genes.

most family issues in nigeria are usually about property and who inherits what, i assume your concern is also along those lines?

as per losing their identity, if the father himself had changed their names before he died, would they still be considered as having lost their identity? Its a matter of perspective.

how many people in nigeria have never changed names at some point in time?

as per the question posed by the op, no she does not have to change the names of her kids.

but, since the op also introduced the issue of her husband requesting she change their names, then they might as well just pick an entirely new one.
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by pickabeau1: 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
nice insight tpia..
Re: Is She To Change The Surname Of Her Kids? by AreaFada2: 8:37pm On Sep 14, 2020
Though an old post but an eye opener to men.

If you die, the woman doing Lovie Lovie today can consider wiping out or compounding your name of and from your children if another man she meets is rich enough and wants her to.

Let's pray to God for long life so we can raise our kids and enjoy our kids till old age.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

He Stopped Kissing Me / Very Sad Woman - Marital Woes / Is This A Blatant Housewife Oversight Or Am I Reading Meanings Into Nothing Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.