Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage (30827 Views)

Video Shows Nigerian Army And Civilians Fleeing Boko Haram Attack / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / What Is/are The Citeria(s) For Putting Threads On The Front Page? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Abbey2sam(m): 2:03pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off

Oya nah!! Go and wear complete khaki to that same spot they strip you....

No be you go tell the story again
#anofia
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by jonezz(m): 2:04pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr Aboki:

No such Law exists in Nigeria..

What those Soldiers did was illegal.. The OP should have stood his grounds & demanded a formal proceeding.

No Sir, I will not strip.. Arrest me if you please

Search for a Police officer around and demand that you be arrested for wearing a camouflaged shorts and have them charge you to court..

You are wicked
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Bobbyendy: 2:06pm On Nov 18, 2013
BY Silver: am sorry op you cannot claim violation of ur human right as contained under chapter 4 section 34 of the 1999 constitution as ur act was a violation of section 109 and 110 of the criminal code.see the section below

109.        Any person who, not being a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria nor a member of the police forces, and with intent that he may be taken to be such a person or member as aforesaid-

(a)             wears any part of the uniform of, or

(b)            wears any garb resembling any part of the uniform of, a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria, or a member of the police forces,

is guilty of a misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for one year.

110.         Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc. L.N. 112 of 1964. 1967 No. 27.

(1)            not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2)            not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment.

Finally since he didn't apply any force on you your case is slim..better luck next time.

You have said it all.
You all should be guided by this post, esp all of you saying no Such law exist or that you have a right to buy any cloth you like.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by sarutobie(m): 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off
So that when vagabonds and blood thirsty morons kill people while wearing the uniform una go say na army do am abi?
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Sard(m): 2:11pm On Nov 18, 2013
mosein:
too late,you should have told the soldier same thing you wrote here!
If he had done what you wrote, he won't be on this thread ,but rather in an ICU unit of a hospital. grin
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by badesco(m): 2:12pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: I was just passing by this afternoon... Unfortunately i was putting on a camouflage... Suddenly i was approached by a soldier holding a golf club... He pointed it at me and was shouting at me... I really didn't understand what he meant.. He chased me with the golf club and told me to pull off the shorts... I was really embarrassed because it was in a very condensed area.... I was putting on boxers underneath. I had to pull it off and i was queried on why i wore it.. Then i was told to go home with my boxers on... I found this very disgraceful..

Now i want to know why these is happening because this is very inhuman and a clear human rights violation

Are you not in this country when the authority made a public announcements that wearing of any military camouflage or using of military car stickres is illegal and that whoever aught will be prosecuted. You should thank your star that you are not prosecuted, if not you would probably be inside prison by now. Nigerians are the most lawless human in the world, they simply have no respect for constituted authority.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by sarutobie(m): 2:15pm On Nov 18, 2013
badesco:

Are you not in this country when the authority made a public announcements that wearing of any military camouflage or using of military car stickres is illegal and that whoever aught will be prosecuted. You should thank your star that you are not prosecuted, if not you would probably be inside prison by now. Nigerians are the most lawless human in the world, they simply have no respect for constituted authority.
That is why many of them get into trouble abroad,they can't obey the simplest law..

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by bluntspirit(m): 2:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
[quote author=austinoeze]u ma sef... y u no wear police uniform?[Abi oooo!!!!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Jeel: 2:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
My dad was a soldier. The military see their uniform as a pride and what they worked hard for. So apart from the law that prohibits wearing it by civilians that's also why they frawn at civilians who wear it.

Its even now that the law is no more enforced. Try it during the military regime and see.

Then when their official cars were Peugeout 505 you dare not paint your 505 army green cause it will be ceased.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Omaty: 2:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
topsyking:
[/b]shuut up guy... come to europe or even south africa, even kenya sef.. and see how people dress in complete army cloth...its your right to wear anything u like.. some people here go even wear complete army cloth, u go tink they be army.. but in nigeria most of the army boys are illiterate, not expose. all they want is to steal the cloth for there use..another ways of stealing.it show nigeria is really far behind.[b]
grin
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by MrAboki: 2:25pm On Nov 18, 2013
jonezz:

You are wicked

How?!

All I suggested was that he ask the officer to arrest him.. Whats wicked in that?!

Arrest me and lets follow due process.. If its a crime, arrest me. But I will not strip for anybody. Thats tantamount to extra-judial sentencing and that is also illegal.

I would like to know what you would be charged for.. Impersonating an Officer would be my best guess, but: For you to impersonate an officer, you would have everything that a Nigerian Army Uniform has which includes but not limited to;

1. Rank
2. Name Tag (Nigerian Military style)
3. Nigerian Army Crest/Logo
4. Military Pins (those multi-colored tags)
5. Nigerian Army flag
6. Nigerian Flag
e.t.c..

Soooooooo!!! Why did you say I am wicked?!

This is my advice to Nigerians who feel like they are being exploited/Harassed.. Demand that you be arrested and charged to court. angry

Army Officers prey on your fears.. Same for Policemen. Thats why corp members are afraid of the Army in Camp, not knowing that the Army is not authorised to hit or beat any Corp member.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2013

See your mouth! Oya go and buy police uniform and wear na

U're lucky u didn't do frog jump or sit inside gutter as punishment tongue
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by alcuin(m): 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2013
More like cultists telling you not to put on certain colour combinations or wear berets with certain colours because it is their insignia.

What's the difference between the military and cultists?

Shame!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by rill: 2:32pm On Nov 18, 2013
Wizkid wey like to dy wear camouflage nko
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by MrAboki: 2:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
hardbody:

We know that your people always love committing suicide either alone or killing people en masse using bombs etc.
But why would you indoctrinate this small boy to try and kill himself? His dead body may never be found.

Oya pikin, go and remove any other camo in your house and stay far away from it, it can endanger your life permanently

And thats why we are screwed in this country..

Oga mi.. No vex sir. I no know say na offence. I no wear anything under. Abeg Arrest me carry me go station

Then you kneel down, hands-up and lock your hands behind your head in surrender. Make sure you are in public view. If you can shout to somebody to call your people that you have been arrested for wearing Camo and that the officers are taking you to the station so they should come and get you out.

Me I no go strip one day for nobody.. The last guys wey do me that thing succeed because we were still under military rule (Abacha era).. Now na lie..

I use the same method for Policemen.. I once told a Policeman to arrest me and take me to the station because he accused me of nothaving 'Road Worthiness' on a car that was not up to 1 year old. I simply picked my Phone, called my peoples in front of him, left instructions and told them I am handing in myself for arrest and they should come to XYZ Police station to bail me. The Police man was shocked. He too became scared..

Thats how I walked to their oga and told him my position o! The guy said I should go...
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Ahmeduana(m): 2:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
[quote author=topsyking]
[b][/b]But if them take the uniform go rob you no go talk say na civilian, ko?
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2013
the reason why they collect it is cos terrorists use it to attack pple not only them even criminals............ so dont get angry cos its for ur safety but all in all u are also wrong.....
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Iceman296: 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr Aboki:

How?!

All I suggested was that he ask the officer to arrest him.. Whats wicked in that?!

Arrest me and lets follow due process.. If its a crime, arrest me. But I will not strip for anybody. Thats tantamount to extra-judial sentencing and that is also illegal.

I would like to know what you would be charged for.. Impersonating an Officer would be my best guess, but: For you to impersonate an officer, you would have everything that a Nigerian Army Uniform has which includes but not limited to;

1. Rank
5. Nigerian Army flag
6. Nigerian Flag
e.t.c..

This is my advice to Nigerians who feel like they are being exploited/Harassed.. Demand that you be arrested and charged to court. angry
Oga, You just de talk plenty. Law or No law, the Military Detest Civilians Who Wear Camouflage. Its Sign of Respect and Pride to them Nothing Else. Seems You haven't been drilled by them before.

Op was even Lucky, Mine was that i wore an Ordinary Camo School bag and This Guy really Dealt with me.

Be Cautions with them For Prevention would always Be Cheaper than Cure!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Iceman296: 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr Aboki:

How?!

1. Rank
5. Nigerian Army flag
6. Nigerian Flag
e.t.c..

Oga, You just de talk plenty. Law or No law, the Military Detest Civilians Who Wear Camouflage. Its Sign of Respect and Pride to them Nothing Else. Seems You haven't been drilled by them before.

Op was even Lucky, Mine was that i wore an Ordinary Camo School bag and This Guy really Dealt with me.

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by donphilopus: 2:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
These army people no dey smile atall..

Some army guys were on check-point today, when the public vehicle I entered was slowing down, I decided to look outside. The next thing I heard from one of the soldiers is:

why U dey luk me?? Abi U 1st knw me B4? Guy na shut up I shut up ooo...
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
What RIGHT ABI NA LEFT. these men went through rigorous training bf been honoured to wear such gear..u a bloody civilian parin hula ,....Allll de way ...ESPRE DE CORPS
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by aigjoey(m): 2:40pm On Nov 18, 2013
mosein:
u bi aboke.. were you fo c d camo... r u a military man.. bcause of insecurity civilians r nt alowed to put it on.. guy thank GOD say u were nt beaten oooi.. c ya face. i beg get out ni
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Lilboots(m): 2:41pm On Nov 18, 2013
@op, so....if to say u wear camouflage pants/ boxers nko? so na so u sef go remove am tooo....to show the camouflage one- eyed PYTHON cheesy cool grin
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by MrAboki: 2:44pm On Nov 18, 2013
Iceman296:

1. The Camouflage fabric is not a symbol of Military Pride.. I dont know who told you that nonsense.

2. The Military is still subject to the Law.

3. I have been drilled by both the Army & Navy on separate occasions.
The worst that can happen is that you will be assaulted. Ehen!!!! So when they are done assaulting you, you can nicely proceed to report the matter to their authority. Its either we make it a law or then they stop harassing people..

4. Prevention is indeed better than cure.. If we dont prevent this harassment from happening, then we can never cure it.

WEARING CAMOUFLAGE IS NOT ILLEGAL IN NIGERIA.. Soon, the Police would start arresting people for wearing Black and Black, NSCDC would arrest people for wearing Blue and Blue, e.t.c..

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by baba11(m): 2:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
You are lucky in the sense that he let you go unscathed and without being punished,next time,you might not be that lucky.Do you know many life of military personnel that has gone due to such impersonation?May God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by abacusCm(m): 2:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
YoUr mama head still they follow u may be the soldIer man for ask u to do this for 4hrs.

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by DECOtech(m): 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2013

You should have said this to the soldier
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Iceman296: 2:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr Aboki:

1. The Camouflage fabric is not a symbol of Military Pride.. I dont know who told you that nonsense.

2. The Military is still subject to the Law.

3. I have been drilled by both the Army & Navy on separate occasions.
The worst that can happen is that you will be assaulted. Ehen!!!! So when they are done assaulting you, you can nicely proceed to report the matter to their authority. Its either we make it a law or then they stop harassing people..

4. Prevention is indeed better than cure.. If we dont prevent this harassment from happening, then we can never cure it.

WEARING CAMOUFLAGE IS NOT ILLEGAL IN NIGERIA.. Soon, the Police would start arresting people for wearing Black and Black, NSCDC would arrest people for wearing Blue and Blue, e.t.c..
It's not Just a Fabric Man, It's a Uniform. A well Respected Uniform.

And i don't think you've read through this thread as Some Guy Quoted the Constitution Discouraging people From Wearing it. so its within the ambience of the Law.

"Na Only Stubborn Fly de Follow Dead Body enter Grave o"
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Oluwaseun1975(m): 3:02pm On Nov 18, 2013
mosein:

Don't mind the idiot,i mean fool he should have tell the soldier,so that he can teach him more lesson
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 18, 2013
The op is a lucky dude. Had the soldier drag you into their barracks, you won't be on this forum misfiring. instead you ll be in army intelligence unit supplying info on where shekau and co are hiding. Or if you are lucky again be ask to produce the manufacturer. TIN (this is Nija )

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by IamDebola: 3:06pm On Nov 18, 2013
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 18, 2013
Only in an uncivilised nation like Nigeria, will somebody be harrased or flogged by some useless zombie for putting on a piece of clothing.
You can walk into any Army Navy surplus store in the US and buy and wear any military regalia you want without anybody batting an eyelid, or is the silly Nigerian soldiers better than the US army.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okada Man Backing A Baby In Ibadan / I Have Been Bitten By Scorpion, Involved In Multiple Accidents - Lady Lawyer / Fake OPEC Scholarship: Police Special Fraud Unit Arrest Internet Fraudsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.