Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage (30851 Views)

Video Shows Nigerian Army And Civilians Fleeing Boko Haram Attack / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / What Is/are The Citeria(s) For Putting Threads On The Front Page? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: I was just passing by this afternoon... Unfortunately i was putting on a camouflage... Suddenly i was approached by a soldier holding a golf club... He pointed it at me and was shouting at me... I really didn't understand what he meant.. He chased me with the golf club and told me to pull off the shorts... I was really embarrassed because it was in a very condensed area.... I was putting on boxers underneath. I had to pull it off and i was queried on why i wore it.. Then i was told to go home with my boxers on... I found this very disgraceful..

Now i want to know why these is happening because this is very inhuman and a clear human rights violation
You are even lucky he did nt kick u. Have u nt heard abt the impersonation of soldiers by ur felow civilians beating and robbing people wit camouflage? Have u nt heard dat boko boys use camo to confuse the people wen they wan to attack ? Tank ur God they did nt beat u.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 18, 2013
God save ur nyansh say no be for maiduguri or Damaturu cos u 4 don receive 21 gun salute tey tey

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Adeoba10(m): 3:11pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off
I once asked a military fwnd concerning dis issue, his response was dat, during recruitment, dey mayb up to 10000 ppl, once dey enterd d camp dey are nt allowd to go out again until d end of d training, and during diz training, alot of ppl lost dia lifes, remaining abt 3000ppl, dats y dey used to honour d dead, dat wat dia mates fought 4, n dey cudnt wear it, dats wat a bloody civilian is puttin on. Dats wat d man told me. Buh tank ur luck dat u no wear am pass dia barack.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by AntiSerious: 3:12pm On Nov 18, 2013
topsyking:
[/b]shuut up guy... come to europe or even south africa, even kenya sef.. and see how people dress in complete army cloth...its your right to wear anything u like.. some people here go even wear complete army cloth, u go tink they be army.. but in nigeria most of the army boys are illiterate, not expose. all they want is to steal the cloth for there use..another ways of stealing.it show nigeria is really far beyind.[b]
sharrap dude, all around the world, a bloody civilian does not have the right to wear a camouflage,stop sayin wat u dnt know
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Onliie(m): 3:14pm On Nov 18, 2013
BY Silver: am sorry op you cannot claim violation of ur human right as contained under chapter 4 section 34 of the 1999 constitution as ur act was a violation of section 109 and 110 of the criminal code.see the section below

109.        Any person who, not being a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria nor a member of the police forces, and with intent that he may be taken to be such a person or member as aforesaid-

(a)             wears any part of the uniform of, or

(b)            wears any garb resembling any part of the uniform of, a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria, or a member of the police forces,

is guilty of a misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for one year.

110.         Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc. L.N. 112 of 1964. 1967 No. 27.

(1)            not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2)            not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment.

Finally since he didn't apply any force on you your case is slim..better luck next time.

He has a case. He must convey the impression that he belongs to the armed forces to be guilty of violation of this law. If he just wear it as a fashion piece, he is not guilty. Do youknow that Nigerian Army wears dark plain green uniform too? Does that make any green cloth illegal?

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by IamDebola: 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Lanceslot(m): 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off
make u put on a shirt with boko haram printed on it and see where u will get urself.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by oluxy(m): 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2013
U re lucky u re not arrested and taking to quarterguide,
Don't u hv cloth? Ok, u don't know the law?
U must B*.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 18, 2013
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
Anti-Serious:
sharrap dude, all around the world, a bloody civilian does not have the right to wear a camouflage,stop sayin wat u dnt know
You are a fool, it's obvious you have never left your village before talkless of travelling out of Nigeria. Olodo
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2013
Please What is Camou Kwa .....

Why put on An Army Uniform When ure a Civilian..
Ure Lucky it wasn't a female that asked u to take off ur Clothes..
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Fadelex(m): 4:04pm On Nov 18, 2013
femmyb: You are a fool, it's obvious you have never left your village before talkless of travelling out of Nigeria. Olodo
my oga how far, I remembered you were the person claiming human right on the similar thread. have u tried what I advised u to do??
just wear camouflage pass barracks or to any military formation and come back wit ur experience. I'm a paramilitary officer but I dare not put on army camouflage cuz it's not my uniform but a civilian will be forming James bond, incase u didn't know, section 110 of criminal code acts states it's an offence for an unauthorized person to put on military uniform.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Akshow: 4:09pm On Nov 18, 2013
In a sane society, soldiers have no business outside their barrack talkless of harassing. Civilian. But then again, its Nigeria and anything goes.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nichobabe(m): 4:11pm On Nov 18, 2013
OP contact a lawyer fast and go and arrest the bloody solider. Nonsense grin grin grin
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Loftyboy: 4:17pm On Nov 18, 2013
Truly boldly civilian u re! Do u know wht it takes them to acquire the uniform? Think of the agony of pain they went through in order to be see in that uniform. Can u put on lawyer's garment and say u re free to wear anything dress u like? Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2013
Excuse me Sir;this does not fly since,there are some Camo Outfits that are very obviously are not Millitary Issue,and in no way resemble such,in Fact,Soldiers have been known to harass People wearing only Camo Snapback Caps, which are very obviously simply Fashion accessories. The Fact is that most Force Men are overzealous and irresponsible when dealing with Civilians.

P.S.I'm not hating oh,I myself plan to join the Military someday,but the Truth has to be said.
BY Silver: am sorry op you cannot claim violation of ur human right as contained under chapter 4 section 34 of the 1999 constitution as ur act was a violation of section 109 and 110 of the criminal code.see the section below

109.        Any person who, not being a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria nor a member of the police forces, and with intent that he may be taken to be such a person or member as aforesaid-

(a)             wears any part of the uniform of, or

(b)            wears any garb resembling any part of the uniform of, a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria, or a member of the police forces,

110.         Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc. L.N. 112 of 1964. 1967 No. 27.

(1)            not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2)            not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment.

Finally since he didn't apply any force on you your case is slim..better luck next time.
Also,

The Constitution says; Section 34.

-(1) Every individual is entitled to respect for the dignity of his person, and accordingly -

(a) no person shall be subject to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment;

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
Loftyboy: Truly boldly civilian u re! Do u know wht it takes them to acquire the uniform? Think of the agony of pain they went through in order to be see in that uniform. Can u put on lawyer's garment and say u re free to wear anything dress u like? Imagine that!!!!!!!!!!
my Friend,I think what YOU need to acquire is a Modicum of Education before posting on these sort of Topics,or go back to the Celebrities Section.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by ignis: 4:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
Merkki:
Hahahahahahaha.
This is molestation. You need to sue them for public sexuäl harrãssment. I can get you a good lawyer. Just boxers? Hahaha!
I can imagine. If he is the type that av long cucumber something... I wonder how it will look like.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by chiketee(m): 4:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
koonbey: Excuse me Sir;this does not fly since,there are some Camo Outfits that are very obviously are not Millitary Issue,and in no way resemble such,in Fact,Soldiers have been known to harass People wearing only Camo Snapback Caps, which are very obviously simply Fashion accessories. The Fact is that most Force Men are overzealous and irresponsible when dealing with Civilians.

P.S.I'm not hating of,I myself plan to join the Military someday,but the Truth has to be said.
Thank you. Was just waiting for someone to point out the bold ed part in your post. The main issue here is "impersonation". When you wear the green and carrying out activities like a member or telling people u r in the military. If you wear for fashion purposes, u have no intent of impersonating. Nigerians are just bullies.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by COOLDUN: 4:40pm On Nov 18, 2013
To be frank with you I have not seen people like Nigerians in my entire life, how can someone insult the people he/she is not better than? Imagine someone with incorrect spellings and poor language skill insulting all the Nigerian army as illiterates. Between this fellow and the military guys he/she was insulting who is an illiterate now? He/she is the one to me.

Coming to the wearing of military camouflage, it is a well known law in Nigeria that a civilian should not put on any dress in the color or making of the military or security personnel, it is not today the law has been in place.

This law was made in order to avoid daunting the image of the Military/security personnel by the dubious fellows and criminals, who sometimes dressed like that to defraud or humiliate innocent citizens. This law is made to protect you and I, and not for intimidation as some people are seeing it.
That other countries are wearing camouflage as their daily dressings or school uniforms does never make it compulsory that Nigerians should follow them, because we are not much law abided. When you give us an inch we take a yard, when you give us a yard we take miles, so let the law be there.

If anyone wants to wear military uniform/camouflage let the fellow follow the right channel by enrolling in one of the military bodies in Nigeria, so that you can wear the camouflage tire, but if you are not a soldier for now, please stay clear from camouflages. The mod was very lucky that the army personnel that stripped you were in a very happy mood, maybe he just newly collected his monthly salary or promoted, otherwise you would have not been here now complaining and calling them names.

Nigerians should try to be conversant with the laws and prohibited things in the country, so that we should know how to respect our laws than always claiming victims ,even when we are guilty.

For those of you who are mentioning countries that are wearing military camouflages to churches/mosques, discos, know it today that military camouflage of any color is prohibited in Nigeria, the offence is punishable by VIP TREATMENT or Lighter option of PUBLIC PULLOUT. Be warned all!!

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by victokafor(m): 4:41pm On Nov 18, 2013
Kai shhheeeegggee walaaii if nah me gbaab u, wetin happen for 1968 for repeat itself, don't u know that camouflage is a controlled material? Nah people like una dey for bokoharam, try am again or better still waka pass. Bonny camp or any military cantonment, make u con quote law say na yur right to put on camo.. U better go buy army form if military cloth sweet u to wear ...
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by MrAboki: 4:43pm On Nov 18, 2013
Iceman296:
It's not Just a Fabric Man, It's a Uniform. A well Respected Uniform.

And i don't think you've read through this thread as Some Guy Quoted the Constitution Discouraging people From Wearing it. so its within the ambience of the Law.

"Na Only Stubborn Fly de Follow Dead Body enter Grave o"

1. It is not the camouflage fabric that makes it a uniform sir.. The Nigerian Army has the following colours as Uniforms;

- Black.. (Special forces combat gear for Night operations)
- Green
- Green Camouflage (For operations in vegetated areas)
- Brown Camouflage (For operations in Dessert areas)
- Black & White Camouflage (For ops in ice areas)
- Blue & White Camouflage (For ops in ice areas)
e.t.c

If it was just the camouflage that makes it a Uniform, a person tying a camouflage fabric as wrapper and wearing white blouse should be arrested. it would also be an offence to wear Green Khakis (Nigerian Army/Man-O-War), White on White (Navy), Blue on Blue (Airforce/NSCDC), e.t.c..

Camouflage is just a material. What makes it a uniform are the attachments on it. The rank, the Stars, the Name tag, The NIGERIAN ARMY CREST, the belt, the custom Nigerian Army spec buttons, e.t.c... angry

2. It is an offence to impersonate an officer. UNDENIABLE.. However, let me take you up on the constitution quoted by our esteeemed fellow;

109. Any person who, not being a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria nor a member of the police forces, and with intent that he may be taken to be such a person or member as aforesaid-

(a) wears any part of the uniform of, or

(b) wears any garb resembling any part of the uniform of, a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria, or a member of the police forces,

110. Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc. L.N. 112 of 1964. 1967 No. 27.

(1) not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2) not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

By this constitutional lprovision, it therefore makes it an offence to wear certain shades/tints of the following colours of clothings;

- Black Shirt & trousers
- All colours of Camouflage
- White and White
- Blue on Blue
- Green

And any colour of fabric worn by the military.. If so, why then are people wearing black trousers not being harassed?! That could easily be the uniform of the Nigerian Police..

3. If nobody pushes for a change, then you cant expect change.. NOTE:: Camouflage comes in different colours, shapes and patterns.. The Nigerian army has a particular design of Camouflage as there uniform.

According to Wikipedia, the Nigerian Army Camouflage spec is; the "US Woodland" parttern..

Heres the link Camo patterns by country

So technically, not all camouflage are Nigerian Army spec..

The arguement of the Nigerian Army being violent fucktards is one thing. but that shouldnt take away anything from the truth of the matter..

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by ctrlunlimited: 4:50pm On Nov 18, 2013
[kolawaxxy]"but in nigeria most of the army boys are illiterate, not expose. all they want is to steal the cloth for there use..another ways of stealing.it show nigeria is really far beyind" *jumps into river Jordan* Bros, has the queen of England offended you that much? Buhahahaha ; wats wit d correction ppls spellings on dis forum sef, d important tin is dat e/she has communicated and u get d gist.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 18, 2013
topsyking:
[/b]shuut up guy... come to europe or even south africa, even kenya sef.. and see how people dress in complete army cloth...its your right to wear anything u like.. some people here go even wear complete army cloth, u go tink they be army.. but in nigeria most of the army boys are illiterate, not expose. all they want is to steal the cloth for there use..another ways of stealing.it show nigeria is really far beyind.[b]
EASY
WITH THE CURRENT SECURITY CHALLENGES I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY BUT YELLING AT HIM AND CLUBBING HIM? NO
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by AbuMikey(m): 5:04pm On Nov 18, 2013

OP, in one phrase, »» Count Yourself Lucky cheesy

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by gbrown(m): 5:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
Bros u get luck, i bought this army coloured bag for #5000 in kano, i bought the bag for the sole purpose of carrying excess load due to d nature of my job, i visited lagos, obalende area to be precise, suddenly i heard calls from different directions, it all happened so fast, one army officer asked if i was a force man,when i told him i wasn't, he registered one nafdac approved slap on my face, they kicked and punched me repeatedly, i heard one shouting, shoot am for yansh,bloody civilian, one of them rescued me by pulling me inside nipost office at obalende, i bought a new Ghana must go bag,emptied the contents of my army bag and made my exit via the back gate.
It,s so funny, when u consider the fact that lots of people wear full army uniforms in Senegal and go about thier daily chores, and there is no harassment from any quarter
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Danmaikori: 5:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
The main truth is that the soldiers suffered to wear the camo so I don't see d reason why a bloody civilian should wear it, its a normal thing...
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
gbrown: Bros u get luck, i bought this army coloured bag for #5000 in kano, i bought the bag for the sole purpose of carrying excess load due to d nature of my job, i visited lagos, obalende area to be precise, suddenly i heard calls from different directions, it all happened so fast, one army officer asked if i was a force man,when i told him i wasn't, he registered one nafdac approved slap on my face, they kicked and punched me repeatedly, i heard one shouting, shoot am for yansh,bloody civilian, one of them rescued me by pulling me inside nipost office at obalende, i bought a new Ghana must go bag,emptied the contents of my army bag and made my exit via the back gate.
It,s so funny, when u consider the fact that lots of people wear full army uniforms in Senegal and go about thier daily chores, and there is no harassment from any quarter
Good for you, am sure b4 this experience you probably would have called me names, for my criticism of these animals in human skin calling themselves soldiers in Nigeria, hope you enjoy your beating, if i ever get to power the first thing i will do is disband the useless Nigerian Army and replace it with a peoples militia with every citizen above the age of 18 in the Army reserve.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by yousee(m): 6:02pm On Nov 18, 2013
hardbody:

You dey mad, na lawyer wear am?

We will sue the whole of teh armed forces (army, police, navy, oga at the top, ) everybody go begin come court come answer question. You wan try us

No worry, jus follow your client wey wear camo, enter military hand them. When they wan discipline your client, stop them, come begin speak plenty grammar, quote all the law and constitution, phone Amnesty International join. After the whole thing, abeg come post una (you and your client) picture for us make we see grin

*e be like say you no sabi say A/C no be fan
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 18, 2013

you have a right to anything but bear the consequences of your action. That is called impersonation! It is just like sticking a sticker on your vehicle that states "FORCE".
The Law has been there before the civilian regime and it has been repeated several times in media and other sources.
Sorry, just take heart! I know how you feel after posing for those small girls in your area and later seeing you on boxer.
LWKMD
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 18, 2013
bloody parin hula. EVEN X-BOYS N X--COMMANDO MUST IDENTIFY THEMSELVES WHEN DRESS IN ANY MILITARY REGALIA...
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Ogundale(m): 6:08pm On Nov 18, 2013
skullz: Avoid putting on camo to avoid their wahala. If u like the camo then join the army, it is as simple as that!.....u get luck say dem no drill u, if not u go pour panadol for plate dey chop am like rice.
This guy don kill me with laugh doctor say i break more than 50 ribs. Kai guy u fonny pass gandosky.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okada Man Backing A Baby In Ibadan / I Have Been Bitten By Scorpion, Involved In Multiple Accidents - Lady Lawyer / Fake OPEC Scholarship: Police Special Fraud Unit Arrest Internet Fraudsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.