Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,217 members, 7,953,802 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:55 AM

Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage (31102 Views)

Video Shows Nigerian Army And Civilians Fleeing Boko Haram Attack / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / What Is/are The Citeria(s) For Putting Threads On The Front Page? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Ninilowo(m): 6:14pm On Nov 18, 2013
idupaul: Do people even know the meaning of the word camoflage .. Even black when used in the dark becomes a camoflage .. And for Jungle issue camoflage every Army has their signature camo pattern and the OPs right has clearly been violated if he wasn't wearing the official issue of the Nigerian army and especially if was wearing a fashion print version tailored in a way that does not bear any semblance to gear designed for combat role .
Ma binu...... grin
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by mykero(m): 6:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off
perherps d soldier was lenient with you,dats why u're still making unnecessary noise....
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
BY Silver: am sorry op you cannot claim violation of ur human right as contained under chapter 4 section 34 of the 1999 constitution as ur act was a violation of section 109 and 110 of the criminal code.see the section below

109.        Any person who, not being a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria nor a member of the police forces, and with intent that he may be taken to be such a person or member as aforesaid-

(a)             wears any part of the uniform of, or

(b)            wears any garb resembling any part of the uniform of, a person serving in the armed forces of Nigeria, or a member of the police forces,

is guilty of a misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for one year.

110.         Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc. L.N. 112 of 1964. 1967 No. 27.

(1)            not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2)            not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment.

Finally since he didn't apply any force on you your case is slim..better luck next time.

grin @ the bolded
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by bola4dprec(m): 6:30pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: I was just passing by this afternoon... Unfortunately i was putting on a camouflage... Suddenly i was approached by a soldier holding a golf club... He pointed it at me and was shouting at me... I really didn't understand what he meant.. He chased me with the golf club and told me to pull off the shorts... I was really embarrassed because it was in a very condensed area.... I was putting on boxers underneath. I had to pull it off and i was queried on why i wore it.. Then i was told to go home with my boxers on... I found this very disgraceful..

Now i want to know why these is happening because this is very inhuman and a clear human rights violation
This is what we refers to as impersonation, why wore Army camouflage ? what kampala and jeans meant for ?
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by chinebu(m): 6:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
Anti-Serious:
sharrap dude, all around the world, a bloody civilian does not have the right to wear a camouflage,stop sayin wat u dnt know

You are the one who dont know anything. Many countries around the world doesnt count wearing army uniforms by civilians as a crime. Even when you wear such cloths they see it that you have love for the army.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by BrOwnSuga3: 6:37pm On Nov 18, 2013
I have seen Wizkid, Iyanya, Psquare and some other top Nigeria artiste wear Camouflage. Why dem kno harass dem

Different law for the poor that is
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr Aboki:

How?!

All I suggested was that he ask the officer to arrest him.. Whats wicked in that?!

Arrest me and lets follow due process.. If its a crime, arrest me. But I will not strip for anybody. Thats tantamount to extra-judial sentencing and that is also illegal.

I would like to know what you would be charged for.. Impersonating an Officer would be my best guess, but: For you to impersonate an officer, you would have everything that a Nigerian Army Uniform has which includes but not limited to;

1. Rank
2. Name Tag (Nigerian Military style)
3. Nigerian Army Crest/Logo
4. Military Pins (those multi-colored tags)
5. Nigerian Army flag
6. Nigerian Flag
e.t.c..

Soooooooo!!! Why did you say I am wicked?!

This is my advice to Nigerians who feel like they are being exploited/Harassed.. Demand that you be arrested and charged to court. angry

Army Officers prey on your fears.. Same for Policemen. Thats why corp members are afraid of the Army in Camp, not knowing that the Army is not authorised to hit or beat any Corp member.

You re still judging a soldier with from a youth corper perspective......lol.

you have no idea what a nigerian soldier can do to you.

it is wrong to degrade any human...but i woukdnt wear camo if i dint have a soldier with me

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
bola4dprec: This is what we refers to as impersonation, why wore Army camouflage ? what kampala and jeans meant for ?
shocked shocked choi Man,this is what we refers to as mutilation and bastardization of the English Language.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by GHKWAME1: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2013
Apparently, there is a law against civilians wearing anything related to military in Ghana as well. I guess its a West African thing.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Martinboy41(m): 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2013
It is a clear violation of your human right. In other country you can put on complate millitary attire. Nigeria soldiers are illitrate . My brother if you have the courrage challenge then in the law court. This nonsense must be stop. There is no law in nigeria that say nobody should put on millitary colour. Markert people display and sale it in open day light, let the soldier go and harrasse them for saling it in the first place. I rest my case. Thank u all
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by ibrokola(m): 6:44pm On Nov 18, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off

Your right to clothing stops where Camour starts! If you like camour so much then join the military; abi you be boko haram?

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by moviedoor7: 6:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
wordsbase: You are a "bloody civilian". On what basis did you think you could publicly put on camouflage... The law has always existed.. And it is not a violation of you human rights.

Your a very stupid fellow. come here to the U.S. and see people wear all sort of camouflage. Which stupid law say people shouldn't wear it? pls Show us? over here, you dont even see Military men on the street or wherever, cos there are always in camp or base. I dont know why only Nigerian things are always different. SMH.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Brandoji: 6:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
. ARE YOU A LEARNER!!??
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by rexbuton: 6:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr. Man you lucky die say no be recruits catch you.. Right now camouflage for dey so unfashionable to you! It's not your right at all, i've seen soldiers completely strip a guy wearing camo shorts and beige t-shirt, and D guy was asked to walk away, after rolling inside green slimy mud.. We still dey groove camo sha, based on man O' war levels and Na even on code
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by jonezz(m): 6:55pm On Nov 18, 2013
Mr Aboki:

How?!

All I suggested was that he ask the officer to arrest him.. Whats wicked in that?!

Arrest me and lets follow due process.. If its a crime, arrest me. But I will not strip for anybody. Thats tantamount to extra-judial sentencing and that is also illegal.

I would like to know what you would be charged for.. Impersonating an Officer would be my best guess, but: For you to impersonate an officer, you would have everything that a Nigerian Army Uniform has which includes but not limited to;

1. Rank
2. Name Tag (Nigerian Military style)
3. Nigerian Army Crest/Logo
4. Military Pins (those multi-colored tags)
5. Nigerian Army flag
6. Nigerian Flag
e.t.c..

Soooooooo!!! Why did you say I am wicked?!

This is my advice to Nigerians who feel like they are being exploited/Harassed.. Demand that you be arrested and charged to court. angry

Army Officers prey on your fears.. Same for Policemen. Thats why corp members are afraid of the Army in Camp, not knowing that the Army is not authorised to hit or beat any Corp member.

Mr Aboki, oh I see, una nor dey fear b4, if it happens to you plz do exactly what you suggested above.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by rexbuton: 6:56pm On Nov 18, 2013
chinebu:

You are the one who dont know anything. Many countries around the world doesnt count wearing army uniforms by civilians as a crime. Even when you wear such cloths they see it that you have love for the army.
Why cant you also go to certain areas and put on certain colours of t-shirts and the matching beret colour? At least you Are showing that you have love for d frat dere, shey? Army Na organised frat, if You no belong, better comot

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by cheezkid(m): 6:57pm On Nov 18, 2013
where is d picture of u in boxers
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by begwong: 7:07pm On Nov 18, 2013
@op,when in Rome, behave like the Romans.
Shikena!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by odiyaka(m): 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2013
Please I beg you. Wear camouflage Army uniform. lipsrsealed
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by tunet(m): 7:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
as for me.........aam rockin my camouflag wit my fellow mafias
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 18, 2013
Why wear their uniform if u are not one of them? If u dey find uniform to wear, go sew CSS grammer sch or FGC own wear. Leave military own cos e no easy to wear am.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Chinozplace(m): 7:45pm On Nov 18, 2013
topsyking:
[/b]shuut up guy... come to europe or even south africa, even kenya sef.. and see how people dress in complete army cloth...its your right to wear anything u like.. some people here go even wear complete army cloth, u go tink they be army.. but in nigeria most of the army boys are illiterate, not expose. all they want is to steal the cloth for there use..another ways of stealing.it show nigeria is really far beyind.[b]
make they go arrest Wizkid and 2face
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Tgold1(m): 7:45pm On Nov 18, 2013
na im be dis.... dnt mess wit am army
*bloody_civilian*

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Tgold1(m): 7:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
na im be dis.... dnt mess wit an army
*bloody_civilian*
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by haymoney01(m): 7:51pm On Nov 18, 2013
Sharapp. Even me as a paramilitary(man o'war) an officer 4 crying out loud is nt allowed to wear the camo.
Human right ko, animal right ni
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by ibrokola(m): 8:17pm On Nov 18, 2013
BrOwn*Suga:
I have seen Wizkid, Iyanya, Psquare and some other top Nigeria artiste wear Camouflage. Why dem kno harass dem

Different law for the poor that is

Read the law well. It says "Except on stage and entertainment".
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by rexbuton: 8:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
haymoney01: Sharapp. Even me as a paramilitary(man o'war) an officer 4 crying out loud is nt allowed to wear the camo.
Human right ko, animal right ni
It depends.. My unit for instance, still use the former green uniform instead of the brown.. And often times mix It with camo depending on situation, there's even an army barracks close to our unit (nigerian army school of supply and transport)and d soldiers dont disturb us often, cos we had a violent fight 2years back and since den we've been rolling together... Wee !
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by stagger: 8:45pm On Nov 18, 2013

You still get mouth and to talk. You get luck say them no design your face for you with the golf club. In a country where boko haram terrorists have used camo to wreck havoc, you still ask why a civilian should wear camo shorts?
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by highmood(m): 9:17pm On Nov 18, 2013
you asked a question and he is trying to make a point. Is he not entitled to his opinion. If u tink its a violation of ur right, please I beg u put it on some other day. I guess the military man u met was merciful and gentlemanly else u for ask whether na only camo. In a country where u know we are still experience security problems, u are concluding it's a fundamental human right to put on any cloth including a camouflage. undecided
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by agohmamuda(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2013
A civilian putting on a camouflage is called " abuse of uniform". The law has been in existence for so long and as at last month the chief of Army staff warned against civilians, be it celebrities or who ever no to wear camouflage. Not to be worn for parties, performances, leisure or what so ever reason. There has to be discipline and a clear differentiation between civilians and military. God bless me and the Nigerian Army.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by SheikhDNorseman: 9:46pm On Nov 18, 2013
Datz why our armed forces dn't grow in nigeria, go to america & other western countries u find civilians wearing wateva dey want to wear.... why dn't dey go & beat up p-square, wizkid or ice prince, omo maybe na because u no carry motor
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by BYSilver(m): 9:57pm On Nov 18, 2013
koonbey: Excuse me Sir;this does not fly since,there are some Camo Outfits that are very obviously are not Millitary Issue,and in no way resemble such,in Fact,Soldiers have been known to harass People wearing only Camo Snapback Caps, which are very obviously simply Fashion accessories. The Fact is that most Force Men are overzealous and irresponsible when dealing with Civilians.

P.S.I'm not hating oh,I myself plan to join the Military someday,but the Truth has to be said. Also,

The Constitution says; Section 34.

-(1) Every individual is entitled to respect for the dignity of his person, and accordingly -

(a) no person shall be subject to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment;

Sir the issue should not be confused, if you wear a camo that has no affiliation with that which is used by d nigerian soldiers of which section 109 and 110 of the criminal law applies then no body has a right to touch you,if you are harassed you have valid grounds 2secure conviction and recover damages against the nigerian army.

As regards the people that put on only the snap back cap as u said they will still fall under d law if it resembles that which is used by the army, and dat it was only the cap is no valid defence since section 109 Sub (A) states ''Wears any part of the uniform''.

Finally section 34 of the 1999 constitution is not an absolute right, which means it can be violated by a valid law if you have violated any established law as provided by section 36 sub 12 of 1999 constitution as amended...the section is interpreted with other sections.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okada Man Backing A Baby In Ibadan / The Zone! / Full List Of All Mobile Phone USSD Codes For Banks In Nigeria [2017 Update]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.