Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,535 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? (29060 Views)

Why Does DSTV Censor The Name Of "God"? / DSTV Nigeria: Open All African Movie/entertainment Channels For ALL Subscribers / Does Dstv Mobile Still Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by MEILYN(m): 7:41am On Nov 17, 2013
Itoroetti :

The made more than 1b dollar via advert and sms during the said period.u guys forget so soon.u can google and see for urself
leave them now, they think bigbrother is a small scale business. Nigerians eeeehhh, i dont know why its too hard for them to believe facts.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by MEILYN(m): 7:45am On Nov 17, 2013
kobonaire: You made the claim, now kindly post the evidence rather than asking readers to do their research ... i still call your bluff
Now thats what i call laziness, i dont have to spoon feed you now, or do I? When you see something you dont agree with you do your research, what is wrong if you bring your own evidence annihilating my claim?
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by jericco1(m): 7:50am On Nov 17, 2013
abegee my startimes subscription still dey intact
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Swiftboy(m): 8:02am On Nov 17, 2013
Well they have subscribers oh! Just take an head count of all viewing center in Nigeria plus the rich that pays their full subscription.How much do you think they advertise for those companies? They make more money than you think...they dont need all their customers to subscribe monthly! grin
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by ddude: 8:06am On Nov 17, 2013
lekemon:
please which one is qtv? wanna knw abt it
me too, if it is not illegal
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by abeltolu: 8:08am On Nov 17, 2013
mr.drizzy:
Hmm! I dnt knw eactly how much it is,bt i knw its enough to get any of,spannish,barclays,bundesliga and serie a rights jst with nigeria income..i still den wonder why d the price is too hight.anyway na dem knw..flexing qtv aljazeera(where i get to watch all live matches even greater dan what dstv offers)+osn hollywood and d rest for jst a token of 4k! PERFECT DEAL
Kindly tell us more about this '4k deal'.. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by EverestdeBliu(m): 8:11am On Nov 17, 2013
Its my birthday!
I'll b @ my gate
2 rake an' make
an' not @ Jabi lake
on d table is d cake
urs is here 2 take
coz twas 4 thy sake
that it was baked
b free n dnt fake
2 walk thru' d gate
come eat!...eat!...eat!
an' take some 2 ur mate!
smiley(((+}>CH33RS<{+)))smiley
...tereh's no ckae o,its jsut a srcblibe.hit 'LIKE' if u wish me a happy buffdae

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by CircleOfWilis: 8:18am On Nov 17, 2013
there is smtin called class attached to dstv and its subscription, dstv is using that to exploit najerians.............people wil protest against the reduction of the subscription, bcs it equates the poor and the rich, just like the case of BBM on android

having a dstv mounted in ones hse connotes elevation of social status in najeria

#one najeria
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Youngzedd(m): 8:21am On Nov 17, 2013
And this made FT

They don't make money and they are still in the business, tell me where it is done

No, they are charitable organization that doesn't make profit.

How does that concern you @OP

Soon you will start monitoring how GEJ make money.

See what ASUU has done to our students.

Ndo Oooo.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Chartey(m): 8:26am On Nov 17, 2013
Bossforeva: As 4 nw, am o.k wit ma GoTV
So u don't know Multichoice owns GoTV too?
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Funpeter: 8:54am On Nov 17, 2013
I blame our govertment who fail to empower local company and when Hitv was going down do nothing too bring it up if dey Hitv have the support low tax and waver dstv would ave long gone or still reduce thier price.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by harsysky(m): 9:13am On Nov 17, 2013
#bizfirst#:
@OP, you must also understand that DSTV has close competitors, StarTimes being one of the greatest. The net effect is that though the subscriber base may actually be in the millions, the active and paying subscribers may actually be in the range of a few thousand.

Liken it to this: MTN has got the largest subscriber base in the country presently. However, many folks hardly recharge their MTN lines due to their extremely harsh tariffs. Instead, using a dual SIM phone, the MTN is used to only answer calls.

Got the gist?
I dnt get the gist...u said MTN is used to answer calls, but failed to highlight that people recharge dia MTN lines to make that call. When u wana call those people back, u still have to recharge ur MTN line..I have used all the networks, tis now I believe odas are no competition to MTN.. I jst pray NCC wud be fining them monthly.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by MrAboki: 9:19am On Nov 17, 2013
None of my business and none of yours either..

Why haven't we asked Dangote how much he makes monthly selling us everything else that DSTV does not provide?

1 Like

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Isiterere(m): 9:22am On Nov 17, 2013
Phder: When you earn real income, the cost of subscription won't be a burden. We pay every month, but we don't have the time luxury to sit down and watch.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Boss13: 11:31am On Nov 17, 2013
From the comments I read here I think we are being harsh on Multichoice. We want foreign investors to come into the country yet we get angry when we assume they are making so much money.

Multichoice came into this country in 1990 or 1991 by first launching a cable terrestrial network before going digital with satellite (DSTV). Please note that no business is established to make losses (except some Indian companies which I find ridiculous).

My surprise is that Multichoice has continue to remain a private company in Nigeria but has gone public in South Africa. Same thing with MTN and as a result of this, the general public cannot estimate accurately the revenue generated by these companies.

For a company that has been in this country for over 20 years, I think it is unacceptable for them not to be listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

Now to answer the question, Multichoice is making money and if they are not, they would have closed shop since. Even with all the political instability from 1990 till date, they continue to operate.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by haveworkskills: 12:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
obailala:

My friend I think u are speaking too many economics grammar.. Nigeria is an abnormal society and as such, all these indices you mentioned does not really apply. If you doubt me, go and ask MTN, ECONET and the other telecom companies and they would educate you better...

My brother,

I agree with you that Nigeria is economically abnormal. Take for example, our GDP is growing, albeit at a decreasing rate..However, unemployment levels are also growing..This is an example of the madness exhibited by our economy..In sane environments, growth in GDP should be accompanied by a drop in unemployment as more and more people are being hired to stimulat output/production which is what grows GDP. So, you are right with the economic abnormality.

However, looking at the broader picture, we've to distinguish between necessity and luxury services. MTN, ECONET and the other telecom companies all provide necessity services. People can hardly do without making calls nowadays, but many people can go without watching TV, not to now talk of watching DSTV. I think you get my point. Media/ICT is never restricted to telecoms and so using telecoms to proxy the performance of other areas of the industry is not sustainable, in my mind.

Luxury services sell more in areas that are urbanized..That is why you see that the greatest luxury spend comes from the developed cities. However, these developed cities/states unfortunately do not make up 100% of Nigeria and there is still a huge problem with urbanization in Nigeria. Moreso, many regions in Nigeria are still grossly ruralised with very low income levels and consequently a near zero propensity to consume luxury services.. So, population is not necessarily an advantage for firms like DSTV, unless perhaps they offer a service that is affordable to the majority of Nigerias who, as I earlier articulated, are meagre income earners..For instance, if people can watch DSTV for N200 for some stations, just as you buy credit/airtime from the telecoms firms you listed, then population ‘might’ be an advantage and using telecoms firms to exemplify their performance will then be more appropriate .

This is my thinking, anyway. Sorry for the typos, but I’m sure you get my point.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by orgasticdance: 12:28pm On Nov 17, 2013
DSTV's model isn't sustainable in the long run. With the the likes of Hulu and Netflix etc internet TV will eventually make current satelite TV models outmoded. That's why behemoths like Samsung, Baidu and Apple are currently looking towards smart internet TV as the next frontier in our tech evolution. Things may take longer here as usual. But even for an ordinary naija boy most of my TV needs i currently get off the internet anywayz( NBA, History,BBc, Mojo, Documentaries, EPL, Movies). Things will definitely get better the moment internet access becomes virtually free as it inevitably would.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by Boss13: 12:32pm On Nov 17, 2013
^^^^ Nigeria internet connectivity is yet to be reliable and cheap. Though it is more reliable than PHCN.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by haveworkskills: 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2013
Boss13: From the comments I read here I think we are being harsh on Multichoice. We want foreign investors to come into the country yet we get angry when we assume they are making so much money.

Multichoice came into this country in 1990 or 1991 by first launching a cable terrestrial network before going digital with satellite (DSTV). Please note that no business is established to make losses (except some Indian companies which I find ridiculous).

My surprise is that Multichoice has continue to remain a private company in Nigeria but has gone public in South Africa. Same thing with MTN and as a result of this, the general public cannot estimate accurately the revenue generated by these companies.

For a company that has been in this country for over 20 years, I think it is unacceptable for them not to be listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

Now to answer the question, Multichoice is making money and if they are not, they would have closed shop since. Even with all the political instability from 1990 till date, they continue to operate.

Hello Boss13,

This problem of going public is not restricted to Multichoice alone..In fact, the management of the NSE has been doing all things possible to ensure that these companies, including the telecoms firms, list on the exchange so that Nigerians can also have a share of their profits (and losses wink. The truth of the matter is that, over the years, these companies, especially firms like MTN, have so much made money off Nigerians that it is quite selfish for them to not have listed. And they keep repatriating funds to their countries of origin.

I will not be too harsh on Multichoice for not listing, I will be harsher on MTN. Over the last 5 years, a huge chunk of MTN's revenue has almost always come from Nigeria. In 2012 alone, about 29% of MTN's total revenue came from Nigeria, whlist MTN made a total net profit margin of 18% in the same year. This means that out of N100, for example, MTN made a profit of N18 after covering all its costs and expenses. Not even Mobil Oil can boast of such strong margin levels..Yet, MTN remains unlisted in the land where a large chunk of its milk and honey flows from..

Pitiable!
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by joelenesleek(f): 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2013
Maybe they make up #200 monthly am not so sure, cuz d Fish in Titus has been Reduced to 2 and its also the season for Star Apple, so all these factors can hinder them from making upto #200 monthly.

U NO GO ask y most of the Time 0ver 300 channels no go show any better Thing sad
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by critique101(f): 1:58pm On Nov 17, 2013
i suspect they make more considering Nigeria's population of 170 million. you mean to say only 3 million subscribe out of 170 million? I doubt that. It should be about 40 million
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by abidemidare: 2:51pm On Nov 17, 2013
lekemon:
please which one is qtv? wanna knw abt it

http://www.9jatc.com/t5561p350-dstv-full-package-portuguese-package-cccam

follow the link. how to watch all Dstv channels including the HD (high definition) channels for free.

contact this no for more info 08062466118
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by INFOTECH2: 3:58pm On Nov 17, 2013
#bizfirst#:
@OP, you must also understand that DSTV has close competitors, StarTimes being one of the greatest. The net effect is that though the subscriber base may actually be in the millions, the active and paying subscribers may actually be in the range of a few thousand.

Liken it to this: MTN has got the largest subscriber base in the country presently. However, many folks hardly recharge their MTN lines due to their extremely harsh tariffs. Instead, using a dual SIM phone, the MTN is used to only answer calls.

Got the gist?

True! These guys call me to renew every month end and I asked one of the callers in April this year and he said they have over 4m subscribers.

Granted not all would be active, give 50percent. @ 3000 plus other add ons. Well I hope Nigeria would have more companies like Dangote.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by infolekan(m): 4:13pm On Nov 17, 2013
Don't know why people think they're not making serious money here.
All your telecoms and banks and what not place adverts on it.
Go to any government or a real private setup and count the number of dstv that are there on full bouquet.
In my former work place.
.i once counted 22 dstv all on full bouquet and that was years ago....dobt know where people are getting the idea that purchasing power is going down.
Everyone I know is on full and they pay monthly.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by luckynzo(m): 4:25pm On Nov 17, 2013
ifeanyi david: E be like say u no be business man. E no go Dey pay workers Jelosi mcthweee ( mind u I be second to comment)
OH! How i hate people like you.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by mrdrizzy(m): 4:33pm On Nov 17, 2013
ddude: me too, if it is not illegal
its real and nt illegal atal.its a new sat.(actually abit old).its currently in northern side .it doesnt exactly uses a dish.jst an amplified antenna..u get to recieve over 8sports aljzeera channels 3 other sports chanel.free to air ones ,and movie channel frm the likes of osn cinemas ,mbc2/4/max/action..its channels arent dat much as startimes though jst 44!,it costs 18k for decoder/installation 1mnth free sus too.and a monthly sus of 4k.good deal for football lovers .
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by fckyourman: 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2013
go to http://www.mtn.com/Investors/Financials/Pages/annualresults.aspx

and find out don't post stupid threads here.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by 14(m): 5:20pm On Nov 17, 2013
corperscorner: DSTV has only 800,000+ active subscribers as at now. Dats d reason for d free one week access thingy.
Its a FACT!

And they have 4 million subscribers in South Africa, 100 000 in Kenya. Total subscribers in africa Is only 5.8 million, 70% of DStv subscribers are in South Africa.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by kobonaire(m): 5:33pm On Nov 17, 2013
MEILYN: Now thats what i call laziness, i dont have to spoon feed you now, or do I? When you see something you dont agree with you do your research, what is wrong if you bring your own evidence annihilating my claim?
You obviously do not have the proof. The year is 2013 my friend, you cannot just make any baseless claim as we can all easily verify it online. Show us the proof of your original claim that DSTV makes close to a billion dollars from the crap show (big dumb brother ). If you cannot do so I understand, it will not be the first time someone makes a false claim on the internet and then back down when asked to prove it ........ grin
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by donodion(m): 6:44pm On Nov 17, 2013
DSTV is making a big kill in Nigeria...most especially on Supersports and Premier leagues knowing Nigerians love football die....ic ant even quantify it but compared to the monthly charges in South Africa,Nigerian subscribers are paying more.
Re: How Much Does DSTV Nigeria Make Monthly? by winteriscoming: 9:48pm On Nov 17, 2013
There was a thread on nairaland about BBA making roughly 7billion naira and apart from that no real financial in depth look at the TV show resulted from a Google search. So I wish you would share with us where you got the1 billion dollar figure.

As regards the topic. DSTV would pay staff, pay sports rights, BBC TRACE MTV DISNEY all of them would be paid. And all those Hollywood movies, they're not pirating them they're paying to the studio. And all those channels they didn't create they're paying for it. So when it's time for the next witch hunt against DSTV let everyone remember they have huge expenses.

Don't get me wrong I wish they would do better. Reduce reruns, reduce prices and all that. And a good competitor will probably bring this. But until then they're not doing too badly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Miracle Igbokwe's Family Releases Statement On His Relationship Outside / #bbnaija: What Mercy Has To Say About Esther And Frodd Relationship / Project Fame West Africa: Iyanya Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.