Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic (4245 Views)

"I'm Tired Of Being A Christian", A Think-piece For Christians / I'm A Pentecostal, I Attended A Catholic Church For The First Time And... / A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew, And An Atheist Walk Into A Café... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 2:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
AUTHORITY
A Christian believes Scripture has authority over church. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16 ). By setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience (2 Cor. 4:2 ).

A Catholic believes the Church has authority over Scriptures. The manner of interpreting Scripture is ultimately subject to the judgment of the Church which exercises the divinely conferred commission and ministry of watching over and interpreting the Word of God (CCC 119).

JUSTIFICATION

A Christian is justified once by faith because justification is a permanent declaration by God (Romans 8:30 ).

A Catholic is justified repeatedly by sacraments and works because he loses the grace of justification each time a mortal sin is committed. The sacrament of Penance offers a new possibility to convert and to recover the grace of justification (CCC 1446).

REGENERATION

A Christian believes he is regenerated at baptism of the Spirit.
For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body (1 Cor. 12:13 )

A Catholic believes baptism of water imparts divine life, the water of Baptism truly signifies our birth into the divine life (CCC 694).

SALVATION

A Christian is saved by God's unmerited grace. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast ( Eph. 2:8-9 ).

A Catholic is saved by meriting the graces needed for salvation. We can merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for the attainment of eternal life (CCC 2010).

3 Likes

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by albacete(m): 2:42pm On Nov 18, 2013
Gbam!
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 2:46pm On Nov 18, 2013
A Christian is saved for good works. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Eph. 2:10 ).

A Catholic is saved by good works. The sacraments of the New Covenant are necessary for salvation (CCC 1129).

A Christian believes salvation is offered to those outside the church. "We are therefore Christ's ambassadors as though God were making His appeal through us" (2 Cor. 5:20 ).

A Catholic believes salvation is offered through the Church. Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation. Anyone refusing to enter it or
remain in it cannot be saved (CCC 846).

A Christian is purified by the blood of Jesus. The blood of Jesus.. purifies us from all sin ( 1 John 1:7 ).

A Catholic is purified by the fires of Purgatory. They undergo purification in Purgatory, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven (CCC 1030-31).

SAINTS & PRIESTS

A Christian becomes a saint when the Spirit baptizes him into the body of Christ. And He gave some...for the equipping of the saints...the body of Christ ( Eph. 4:11-12 ).

A Catholic becomes a saint only if the Pope canonizes them. This occurs when he solemnly proclaims that they practiced a heroic virtue and lived in fidelity to God's grace (CCC 828).

4 Likes

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by albacete(m): 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2013
Ur catechism classes are not in vain
Kudos!
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by scaler345: 3:05pm On Nov 18, 2013
So, what happens to non-xtians when the so called 'xtians' don't even have a single doctrine? Thank GOD for my life!
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2013
@OP, people like you are those that deserve a special place in hell. An idiat xtian fella forming holier-than-thou. If not for the catholic church, u'd be somewr catering for dogs to be used during Ogun festival...
Mor.on

1 Like

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 3:22pm On Nov 18, 2013
THE LORD'S SUPPER

A Christian believes the Lord's Supper is a memorial. "Do this in remembrance of me" ( 1 Cor. 11:24-25).

A Catholic believes the Lord's Supper is sacrifice. The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice...the same Christ who offered Himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and offered in an unbloody manner (CCC 1367).

A Christian receives Jesus once, spiritually, in the heart. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God (John 1:12 ). God... put his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee (2 Cor. 1:22 ).

A Catholic believes he receives Jesus physically, frequently, in the stomach. The body, blood...soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ...is truly, really and substantially contained inthe Eucharist (CCC 1374-78).

CONDEMNATION

A Christian is condemned by the Roman Catholic Church. Over 100 anathema's have been pronounced against Christians by the Roman Catholic Councils of Trent and Vatican II. These condemnations are still in effect today and can only be lifted if a Christian returns in submission to the authority of the pope.

A Catholic is condemned by the Word of God. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day ( John 12:48 ).
If we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! (Gal. 1:6-9 ).

1 Like

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by OXCUBA: 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
CONTROL + MODIFY
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by OXCUBA: 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2013
OP CARRY ... ALL DIX YA ... BIG BIG ENGLISH ... GO FIND WORK ..... JOBLESS TAUT
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by tobechi74: 3:26pm On Nov 18, 2013
told Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic priest

priest are more learned .an average priest spends 4 years readin philosophy ,4 years reading theology . Eight years b4 being a priest.

A pastor dont

a priest speaks a minimum of 4 languages. 2 foreign and 2 nigerian.excluding english and native language.

A pastor dont

a priest prays gently,quietly,. A pastor shouts angrily

a priest exorcism of a demon posessed child is more authoritative with sequential proces. A pastor yels and shout .
A priest goes to needy african countries, in war ,famine. To share d word of God. A pastor goes to Usa, england and other rich nation

a priest dont own major property.no persnal car, house,land, jet etc. Only clothes and shoes. Their property belong to d church.

Pastor own property

wen a nigerian priest dies in lets say congo. He is burid there.

Priest are more logical in arguement than priest.if u doubt, ask an atheist

priest have taken an oath never to be married. How many pastor can stay a year without s..e..x. .even wen their wife die, they remarry within a year.

Aceptd, some priest indulge in secret sex,

conclusion, it is not easy to be a priest. It is much easier to be a pastor.

3 Likes

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2013
Dap07: @OP, people like you are those that deserve a special place in hell. An idiat xtian fella forming holier-than-thou. If not for the catholic church, u'd be somewr catering for dogs to be used during Ogun festival...
Mor.on

#If not for Jesus
cool

Save the insults... Insults don't move me smiley
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 3:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
OXCUBA: OP CARRY ... ALL DIX YA ... BIG BIG ENGLISH ... GO FIND WORK ..... JOBLESS TAUT

Come give me Job
smiley
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2013
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by scaler345: 3:35pm On Nov 18, 2013
What you guys are implying is that if I don't follow Catholic doctrine, then I am damned? Holy mackerel! Christianity is ridiculous. Is it Christ (God) or church (Pope/God/Mary)? This una religiom is very confusing to say the least. #sighs#
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by albacete(m): 4:09pm On Nov 18, 2013
^^ not at all. Ur religion will not lead u to Heaven or Hell. U need to be a true christian in every sense of the word.

@tobechi: funny but sooo true.
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 9:14pm On Nov 18, 2013
scaler345: What you guys are implying is that if I don't follow Catholic doctrine, then I am damned? Holy mackerel! Christianity is ridiculous. Is it Christ (God) or church (Pope/God/Mary)? This una religiom is very confusing to say the least. #sighs#

Yea, but the Truth lies amidst confusions smiley
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 9:48pm On Nov 18, 2013
Useless bastard may u rot in hell .
Proudly Catholic. hater gonna hate.

Glory to Jesus Honour to Mary . cool
We give you HBP

1 Like

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 9:56pm On Nov 18, 2013
scaler345: What you guys are implying is that if I don't follow Catholic doctrine, then I am damned? Holy mackerel! Christianity is ridiculous. Is it Christ (God) or church (Pope/God/Mary)? This una religiom is very confusing to say the least. #sighs#
yes the Catholic Church is the only true and apostolic church, the Catholic Church is the only non manmade Church , God/Jesus himself created that Church. The Catholic church is well organized, with a strong clergy. The Catholic Church is leading all others "religions" in charity works/donations. Yet the fidels are not impoverished , our priests are not crooks and don't flaunt their wealth like pastors. We don't worship priests like some do with their pastors and pastors' wives, our priests don't snatch our wives or break our household with their famous : your husband is a demon and the reason of your failures. Most of the heretics you see here esp the op schooled in a Catholic Church, patronize a Catholic hospital/medial center, use Catholic drugs etc .
So Again you can only obtain salvation through the Catholic Church.
May God help you

1 Like

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 10:11pm On Nov 18, 2013
POPE II: Useless bastard may u rot in hell .

We give you HBP

No bro, stop mentioning the name Jesus. You don't know Him smiley
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 10:19pm On Nov 18, 2013
I know Jesus more than you do and I know he's the one who anointed the Catholic Church.
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 11:01pm On Nov 18, 2013
POPE II: I know Jesus more than you do and I know he's the one who anointed the Catholic Church.

No bro,

What Rome says:

"Listen, all you who desire the kingdom of God! Honor and serve the Most Blessed Virgin Mary, and you will find life and eternal salvation!" -St. Bonaventure

"All those who seek Mary's protection will be saved for all eternity." -Pope Benedict XV

"Do you want certain salvation? Then have great devotion to the Virgin Mary...She will guarantee your salvation. She infallibly saves the one who honors her." -St. Sharbel Makhlouf

What God's Word says:
"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14:6

"And there is salvation in no one else (Jesus), for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." -Acts 4:12

"And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior'" - Luke 1:46-47

Again Sir, you don't know Jesus, the Saviour of the whole universe..
You're only a Nigerian Catholic who inherited his father's religion, dedicated and ready to die for a religion you know nothing about..

Its not too late to make a U-turn, Sir
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Mintayo(m): 3:51am On Nov 19, 2013
POPE II: Useless bastard may u rot in hell .

We give you HBP
You called someone(who spoke the truth) a bastard and then said Glory to Jesus and then we give you HBP.
Are you sure you know Jesus?
Would Jesus do/say these?

1 Like

Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by chiteny(m): 5:14am On Nov 19, 2013
i am tempted to comment on this post....... wink
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Olugbenger(m): 7:04am On Nov 19, 2013
Acidiosis, Jesus bless ur soul for this.
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 7:11am On Nov 19, 2013
Acidosis:

No bro,

What Rome says:

"Listen, all you who desire the kingdom of God! Honor and serve the Most Blessed Virgin Mary, and you will find life and eternal salvation!" -St. Bonaventure

"All those who seek Mary's protection will be saved for all eternity." -Pope Benedict XV

"Do you want certain salvation? Then have great devotion to the Virgin Mary...She will guarantee your salvation. She infallibly saves the one who honors her." -St. Sharbel Makhlouf

What God's Word says:
"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14:6

"And there is salvation in no one else (Jesus), for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." -Acts 4:12

"And Mary said, 'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior'" - Luke 1:46-47

Again Sir, you don't know Jesus, the Saviour of the whole universe..
You're only a Nigerian Catholic who inherited his father's religion, dedicated and ready to die for a religion you know nothing about..

Its not too late to make a U-turn, Sir

Trash
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 7:14am On Nov 19, 2013
Mintayo:
You called someone(who spoke the truth) a bastard and then said Glory to Jesus and then we give you HBP.
Are you sure you know Jesus?
Would Jesus do/say these?
what truth? Point it out for me please because all I see here are nonsensical lies ,falsehoods.
Furthermore why do you guys care about what we do ? Did we send you message? Abi na wa oo ? Taking panadol for our headaches. Abeg face your pasthief pastorcrooks . We are good on our side and don't need manmade churches.
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 7:15am On Nov 19, 2013
Olugbenger: Acidiosis, Jesus bless ur soul for this.
did He ask you to judge people? To insult his mother? To rubbish his church? grin
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 8:04am On Nov 19, 2013
Olugbenger: Acidiosis, Jesus bless ur soul for this.

Thanks bro
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 8:05am On Nov 19, 2013
POPE II:
Trash

What is trashy about the post (quotes) of the Bible and your saints?
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by POPEII: 8:07am On Nov 19, 2013
Acidosis:

What is trashy about the post (quotes) of the Bible and your saints?
stop judging something different with your own principles. Besides any link?
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 8:08am On Nov 19, 2013
POPE II: what truth? Point it out for me please because all I see here are nonsensical lies ,falsehoods.

Pls kindly highlight the lies in my posts.

Those words you see there are not mine.
Except you mean the word of Jesus, Mary & your saints are full of lies..

I sincerely don't know who is lying here..
Stop confusing others since you're not ready to know the truth.
Re: Untold Ultimate Differences Between A Christian & A Catholic by Acidosis(m): 8:10am On Nov 19, 2013
POPE II: stop judging something different with your own principles. Besides any link?

I'm not judging anyone.. I'm only preaching.

http://proclaimingthegospel.org/equip/articles/34-catholic-christians-is-this-an-oxymoron

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Was Jesus Created Or People Misunderstand The Bible? / " / Spiritual Altars. How To Raise One To God And Breaking Demonic Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.