Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World (32717 Views)

Three Important Principles In The Modern Hijrah / The 'Burying' Of Muslim Women in the Modern World / 9 Great Events In Ramadan That Changed History And Shaped The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by tbaba1234: 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
The Clown: Those inventions were not made because of Islam, they were made in spite of Islam. Those who made them were termed unbelievers and were persecuted.

grin grin,

Sorry to disappoint you, There was no equivalent of Galileo and co in the muslim world.

Many of the most knowledgeable people in the sciences were actually religious scholars or very knowledgeable in religion. Read some history books.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by baba11(m): 6:05pm On Nov 20, 2013
Muslims started it off but we have gone to sleep now.:....what do muslims of nowadays have to offer so that we'll be remembered like them??
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by HARDUBUY(m): 6:13pm On Nov 20, 2013
Arcsniper: I see this as advertising of religion. I no insult anybody o or anything thing o...pleas forgive and 4get.what does religion has to do with invention. What's in ur brain is in ur brain.
saying the truth the way it is doesnt mean an advert bro, let that get into ur skull.
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by dobosky(m): 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
There is nothing wrong for muslim to invent something humans there are a lot of intelletuals among them. The poster might have been wrong in some of the post but we should not ignore muslim contribution to modern civilisation.
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by tbaba1234: 6:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
dobosky: There is nothing wrong for muslim to invent something humans there are a lot of intelletuals among them. The poster might have been wrong in some of the post but we should not ignore muslim contribution to modern civilisation.

I got it from CNN..
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by 76Naira(m): 6:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
A bit tiring these days..........Phew!!!
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by UyiIredia(m): 6:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
Algebra wasn't really a Muslim invention. As we know it though, Muslim scholars played a crucial part in its development to its modern form. But algebra was learnt by them from the Persians, who conquered Arabs BTW, and before them I'm sure Egyptians and Greeks (eg Pythagoras) would have made important contributions. The most important role Arab scholars played was preserving and adding to algebra whilst Europe lulled in the Dark Ages. It was Arab texts that were the basis of Maths then.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by UyiIredia(m): 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
tbaba1234:

I got it from CNN..

And so ? CNN atttimes posts false or misleading info. Evej Wikipedia sef.
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by bumdish: 6:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
tbaba1234: grin grin

Up till today, Arabic words/culture are still in the university system.

Alumni comes from the word Alim (which means a knowledgeable one).

Even the design of the graduation thobe is from the muslims....

The roots are still there.

We are talking of the things that laid the foundation for the modern world not the finished products.

No need to get worked up over this. Every civilisation has made some contribution to the modern world.
[size=14pt] Fat Lie[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by tbaba1234: 6:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Algebra wasn't really a Muslim invention. As we know it though, Muslim scholars played a crucial part in its development to its modern form. But algebra was learnt by them from the Persians, who conquered Arabs BTW, and before them I'm sure Egyptians and Greeks (eg Pythagoras) would have made important contributions. The most important role Arab scholars played was preserving and adding to algebra whilst Europe lulled in the Dark Ages. It was Arab texts that were the basis of Maths then.

The Arabs conquered the persians not the other way around. The father of Algebra is Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, (780 – 850 CE). It was his book : “al-Kitab al-mukhtasar fi Hisab al-jabr w’al-muqabala”, (“The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing”) that later evolved to algebra

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by tbaba1234: 6:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Algebra wasn't really a Muslim invention. As we know it though, Muslim scholars played a crucial part in its development to its modern form. But algebra was learnt by them from the Persians, who conquered Arabs BTW, and before them I'm sure Egyptians and Greeks (eg Pythagoras) would have made important contributions. The most important role Arab scholars played was preserving and adding to algebra whilst Europe lulled in the Dark Ages. It was Arab texts that were the basis of Maths then.

The Arabs conquered the persians not the other way around. The father of Algebra is Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, (780 – 850 CE). It was his book : “al-Kitab al-mukhtasar fi Hisab al-jabr w’al-muqabala”, (“The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing”) that later evolved to algebra.

When the mongols conquered baghdad, they destroyed all books and killed the scholars. The fact that knowledge was preserved, built upon and not destroyed as is common with conquerers was vital to our modern age.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by tbaba1234: 6:29pm On Nov 20, 2013
bumdish:
[size=14pt] Fat Lie[/size]

Arabic was translated to Latin at the growth of the western europe... You need to dig a little deeper.. Mid 17th century It came from somewhere.
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by tbaba1234: 6:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

And so ? CNN atttimes posts false or misleading info. Evej Wikipedia sef.

Wikipedia is edited by anyone. I am just saying that it was not written by me.
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 20, 2013
HARDUBUY:
saying the truth the way it is doesnt mean an advert bro, let that get into ur skull.

if other religion should start advertising what they've done.
Its gonna take morethan a page.let in sink into ur brain

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by macayub(m): 6:42pm On Nov 20, 2013
There is diffrent between a muslim invention and Arab invention. Were they invent from knowledge gained from Quran or from secular knowledge? If they were not invented base on knowledge gained from Quran... how can one called them muslim invention?

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by eluquenson(m): 6:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
The word algebra comes from the Arabic language (الجبر al-jabr "restoration"wink from the title of the book Ilm al-jabr wa'l-muḳābala by al-Khwarizmi. The word entered the English language during Late Middle English from either Spanish, Italian, or Medieval Latin. Algebra originally referred to a surgical procedure, and still is in Spanish, while the mathematical sense was a later development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra#Etymology

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by OpinionLeader: 6:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
Khalessi: Why do I get this feeling that Muslims and Christians on this forum are trying to out do each other? Am waiting for the Christian replica of this thread. undecided
Yea bro!

I have something to say that would make all EPL football-loving Muslims angry. Do they know that the owners of Manchester United, Chelsea FC and Tottenham Hotspur are all JEWS! Yeaaaa grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
Foxy_Flow: To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to any religion.

Even if this seems like a general topic, do take caution from the above as it changes nothing.

Uhm.. Great inventions, but the toothbrush own, who did you say invented it?

Africans had been chewing stick since 0000 BC. angry angry angry
chewing stick is different frm toothbrush

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 20, 2013
Cubeet: I thought they said Education is a Sin.How come were they the first to invent or start or introduce a University
the first word that was revealed in the holy quran is [\b]read, iqraa in arabic[\b] the prophet S.A.W said searching for knowledge is compulsory for every muslim male and female
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
begwong: terrorism (hope not offensive) if,forgive and forget!
a terrorist is some that uses terror to achieve their aims and objectives, nw tel me what has this got 2do wit islam, our greedy politicians are terorists embezling our money and flaunting it to, ASUU to me is a terorist organisation, suffering the students to achieve their aim, terorism is broader term, americans were terorists in the eyes of d british when fighting 4dia independence, japanese were considered terorists during d 2nd world war when they adopt suicidal strategy called karmikazee to attack american navy.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by dobosky(m): 7:09pm On Nov 20, 2013
tbaba1234:

I got it from CNN..

Yes u said so but gotting it from CNN does not mean everything is correct.
Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
Take it or leave it, Islam is the primary source of civilization.

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Inventions That Shaped The Modern World by Habibuisah1(m): 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
Allaahu Akbar

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

What Islam Says On Masturbation. / Ramadan Kareem To Every Muslim / Ramadan: Kano Hisbah Arrests Three Males, Eight Females For Not Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.