Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year (15779 Views)

Rerun Elections Held On Sat.into The Four State Constituencies In AKS Won By PDP / El-Rufai Abolishes Admission Fees In State Owned Tertiary Institutions / The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by BlackPeni5: 10:09am On Nov 19, 2013
I believe Dangote is going to buy at least one of them....

The federal government plans to begin the privatisation of four of its state-owned oil refineries before the end of the first quarter of next year, the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke has said.

“We would like to see major infrastructure entities, such as refineries, moving out of government hands into the private sector,” Alison-Madueke said in an interview with Bloomberg TV Africa in London.

Speaking further, she said: “Government does not want to be in the business of running major infrastructure entities and we haven’t done a very good job at it over the years.”

A presidential audit of the facilities led by a former Minister of Finance, Kalu Idika Kalu, had last year recommended the sale of the refineries due to inadequate government funding and “sub-optimal performance.”

The refineries, which have a combined capacity of 445,000 bpd, should be privatised within 18 months, according to the report submitted to President Goodluck Jonathan in November 2012.
Nigeria, a member of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), produced 1.99 million barrels per day (bpd) of crude in October.

The refineries are 124,00bpd Warri Refinery, 60,000bpd Old Port Harcourt refinery, 150,000bpd new Port Harcourt refinery and 110,000bpd Kaduna refinery.

A previous attempt in 2007 by the Olusegun Obasanjo administration to sell the Kaduna and Warri refineries was reversed by the next government headed by the late Umaru Musa Yar'Adua.

While Nigeria is also Africa’s top crude exporter and the most populous with more than 160 million people, it relies on fuel imports to meet more than 70 per cent of its needs.

Its state-owned plants operate at a fraction of their capacity because of poor maintenance and aging equipment. The West African nation exchanges 60,000 bpd of crude for products with Trafigura Beheer BV and a similar amount with Societe Ivoirienne de Raffinage’s refinery in Cote d' Ivoire, according to Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
“We are right now undergoing a major turnaround maintenance programme of the refineries,” Alison-Madueke said.

Improvements to the two-unit, 210,000-bpd Port Harcourt refinery, the country’s biggest, would be completed by the end of the year, to be followed by enhancements at the Warri and Kaduna sites in 2014, according to the NNPC.
Warri has a processing capacity of 125,000 bpd and Kaduna, 110,000 bpd

http://www.thisdayonline.com/
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by sdqxxx(m): 12:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by DaLover(m): 1:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
This has made my day...
GEJ keep dishing out surprises to us...very impressive...i wish this had started earlier...anyway better late than never....

This combined with the constitutional confab should stop the feeding bottle federalism.
Thanks

13 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Princess2be(f): 1:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
Oil money is lazy man's money.
It's not a prerequisite for progress and development.
Ask Germany, Japan, China or India.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by alotofgrace(m): 1:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
i will hold ma peace until aso rock is up for grabs

2 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Wolef7(m): 1:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
Okay............ All we want is progress and development.
BTW, we already know those who are going to buy them......
#TeamSophia
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by mmimahbub(m): 1:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
The good plans and actions by the FG over the past few weeks are just beyond words.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Mariojane(f): 1:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
May God guide d leaders to do the right and the best tins for d nation

5 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by sgsltd(m): 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2013
We never see outcome of nepa

3 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Pita99(m): 1:50pm On Nov 19, 2013
Good/Bad News
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by tbagjames(m): 1:50pm On Nov 19, 2013
hw much does it cost. i want to buy one for my mother in-law

2 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by paulworld(m): 1:50pm On Nov 19, 2013
heat dey kaduna o,please someone help me in inform those on duty at the
private holding company of Nigeria that there is blackout over here
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by CircleOfWilis: 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
we dnt want anytin oil/oil related tinz down here in the north, kaduna own shld be closed down not privtized....may una keep the oil,

#team 100% resource control
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by paulworld(m): 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
sdqxxx:
your are first to comment
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Fazhy: 1:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
Princess2be: Oil money is lazy man's money.

You are very right. But who doesn't want easy money?

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by paulworld(m): 1:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
DaLover: This has made my day...
GEJ keep dishing out surprises to us...very impressive...i wish this had started earlier...anyway better late than never....

This combined with the constitutional confab should stop the feeding bottle federalism.
Thanks
and you are second
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Jabioro: 1:52pm On Nov 19, 2013
It is better 4 d govt 2 do away wt dis moribond facilities,dat has kept on draining d nations pocket.l think it wud function beta wt private hand handling in a professionally.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
tbagjames: hw much does it cost. i want to buy one for my mother in-law

shocked shocked We rey ni
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Merkki(f): 1:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
Great news. The birthday gift I've been expecting! Who will buy me a refinery as a birthday gift?
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by paulworld(m): 1:53pm On Nov 19, 2013
Princess2be: Oil money is lazy man's money.
and you are third all other position reserved
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Greatpooss(m): 1:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
Very soon, all ministries and government agencies will be privatised in the name of efficiency. I hope Dangote will be able to acquire the majority.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Brimmie(m): 1:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
Ok
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by horchukoh(m): 1:55pm On Nov 19, 2013
1 barrell of crude oil =77usd and we are producing 1.99million barrels per day someone should help me do the arithmetic and tell me how much we make from crude oil annually.Tha[color=#006600][/color]nks
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
This man wants to sell nigeria and we re just watching...smh for dis country

3 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by wellmax(m): 1:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
My time to own a Refinery has come. Let me call my bankers.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
Elantracey: This man wants to sell nigeria and we re just watching...smh for dis country

Chai miss you dull o.

Sorry, there's no better way to put it.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by nnocurruption: 2:00pm On Nov 19, 2013
Rubbish
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
Elantracey: This man wants to sell nigeria and we re just watching...smh for dis country
Are you sure? That's the best thing to do. Privatisation is the wax to go. Let me educate you. If me and you use our hard earned money to buy the refinery, wouldn't you do your best to manage your property so that you keep making profit? That's the idea.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by ucyoma(m): 2:04pm On Nov 19, 2013
I am nw beginning 2 hv a breathe of fresh air
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by jpphilips(m): 2:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
horchukoh: 1 barrell of crude oil =77usd and we are producing 1.99million barrels per day someone should help me do the arithmetic and tell me how much we make from crude oil annually.Tha[/color]nks

[color=#000099]production dropped from 2.5mbbd to 1.99bbd this country is a waste, oil price is not 77usdpb.
recycle the problem and the citizens say wow!! presido is working.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Afenifere, Ohanaeze Back Jonathan’s Declaration / 2023: Hope For South Eastern President Dims / Cultists Attack Ogun APC Campaign, Kill Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.