Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,248 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year (15794 Views)

Rerun Elections Held On Sat.into The Four State Constituencies In AKS Won By PDP / El-Rufai Abolishes Admission Fees In State Owned Tertiary Institutions / The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by deltakitchen: 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
I BELIEVE THIS IS GREAT NEWS CONSIDERING THE PERFORMANCE OF ALL THE REFINERIES SO FAR, WHOSOEVER WANTS TO PURCHASE WILL MAKE SURE THEY ARE FUNCTIONING TO FULL CAPACITY.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Kumalayer(m): 4:22pm On Nov 19, 2013
Do u know how much mtn is getting out of we nigerians daily?,all in d name of dis privatisation,yet network problems still persist and hidden charges are countless,i hope dey wont start privatising our houses.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by harizonal123(m): 4:27pm On Nov 19, 2013
believe Dangote is going to buy at least one of them...

I don't think he will be buying but rather building one of the biggest in Africa.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23960843
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by kraftykc(m): 4:35pm On Nov 19, 2013
DaLover: This has made my day...
GEJ keep dishing out surprises to us...very impressive...i wish this had started earlier...anyway better late than never....

This combined with the constitutional confab should stop the feeding bottle federalism.
Thanks

Please read up on how much Diezani sank into these bottomless portals of corruption and you will see that this "ANNOUNCEMENT" doesn't mean shhit!
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/one-million-barrels-per-day-refining-capacity-target-illusion-or-reality-/156730/

This link shows the most recent attempt to gloss over the pigsty they call a corporation. The entire government is pathetic and all I expect from them is to die.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by LEXYCOM: 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
I will buy all from him
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by estyvino(m): 4:49pm On Nov 19, 2013
All I can say is that, let them do the needful.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 19, 2013
tbagjames: hw much does it cost. i want to buy one for my mother in-law

lolz
is it omugwo present
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by deepseel(m): 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
PocketEconomist: Are you sure? That's the best thing to do. Privatisation is the wax to go. Let me educate you. If me and you use our hard earned money to buy the refinery, wouldn't you do your best to manage your property so that you keep making profit? That's the idea.
Does it mean we should also sell d country to private investors since it is nt working? The truth is dis government is selling us away bit by bit. A government dt does not want to shoulder any responsibility, just keep watching as things unfold.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by shehuAO: 5:37pm On Nov 19, 2013
If una like,make una privatize Otueke,that does not concern me.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Gpcork(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2013
Wat of d P.I.Bill
could it b dat national assembly cabals r yet 2finish privatizing d bill as wel....wat a great fiasco
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by jpphilips(m): 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
simpleseyi: Yes, it is very good. Jonathan sold PHCN Ikeja Distribution Company to Obasanjo and sold Eko and Ibadan Distribution Companies to Abdulsalam, How much did Obasanjo and Abdulsalam earn thtoughout their military years and even as presidents to be able to afford to buy PHCN? Now Jonathan wants to sell Refineries to IBB, T Y Danjuma, Edin Clark, Atiku Abubakar and others, so that Nigerians will be left with nothing. Please when are they privatizing the air we breadth so that it will be properly managed by the "private investors" ? God is watching everyone on a 5D television.

illiteracy is not a fundamental human right, if in doubt ask falana
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Sike(m): 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
Mr President, must we sell EVERYTHING?!

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by obinnakenedo(m): 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
Currently on sale. Plots at green gate v i p estate and Santa florida v i p estate, igbesa afta agbara. As low as N500k. Call chris for more info: 08185105562
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by jpphilips(m): 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2013
DaLover:

Luckily we have the on going power privatisation program to refer too, no single ethnic group in nigeria has the power to buy all the rerfineries...
secondly...how are refinaries national assets of strategic importance?
Refineries many places in the world are owned by private people

You are right when you said that private people own refineries in other climates but it doesn't change the fact that refinery is a strategic national asset in Nigeria.
Nigeria's economy is resonating around oil and refining is one of its life wires, also, do you phantom the national crises that ensue when there is shortage of petroleum products?

The end of the road like i told you before is that the people who can afford it are likely going to be foreigners who don't have your country's interest at heart, even some indigenous companies who may afford it will source funding abroad.

Also consider the position of foreign politics, immediately the US sanctioned Iran's oil, all the Allies of the US complied, that means that if Iran didn't have NIOC (being their local oil company) their oil business has ended which you and I know is the main stay of their economy.

that is what will happen to you when you privatize all your critical national assets.

let me remind you that NIOC (National Iranian oil company) can be likened to our NNPC, today it has become their saving grace.

Privatization is not better than JVA and PPP, NNPC holds majority stake in SPDC, while shell (the private company) is the operator, that way, they bring in their world class operation standard, state of the art technology and for over 55yrs, they have ensured Nigeria is exporting oil.

It is a silly economic policy to sell off ALL your critical national assets in the name of privatization.

Under a US sanction, all the foreign companies will halt operations, now when you have foreign companies in charge of Power, foreign in charge of Aviation, Banking, insurance, foreign companies in charge of refining, foreign companies in charge of oil production, foreign companies in charge of ordinary water, what do you have?

just one sanction and all these companies pack up or there is a melt down like the 2008 saga, Nigeria will literary shut down.

my model is this; privatize telecom by bringing MTN but keep Nitel
Privatize power but keep NEPA, NEPA can Own a majority stake in the power sector while Manitoba brings in their world class experience to keep it afloat.
privatize The downstream by licensing Orient and co but keep PRCN, you never can tell what will happen to the economic dynamics of the world.

What about competition? when you licensed MTN and murdered NITEL, nobody competed with MTN till Glo arrived, meanwhile NITEL could have done the same job and increased the competition further leading to lower tarrifs earlier than we had it.

lastly, do you know that when Lehman brothers liquidated, they equally fried their over sees assets, you don't want Manitoba canada to liquidate and Enugu disco remains in darkness forever do you? It is not in anybody's interest to have so much foreign exposure, the 2008 meltdown should serve as an eye opener.

Jonathan's administration is known for "quick fix" approach to national issues and that will be the problem of the next generation just like he is cleaning up the mess of our past.

What about the issues surrounding the PIB on balkanizing the NNPC, have they been solved before selling off its subsidiaries? those are the real issues, the problem with Nigerians is that they don't know how bad Govt policies affect them till it touches their skin.

The big question is; Why do you need to create a problem trying to solve another?

4 Likes

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by rhames(m): 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
Change is the only permanent condition in life. We Nigerians shouted at the top of our voices when OBJ wanted to sell these gigantic stoves to people who will turn them around and make them work. When Musa Yaradua came in he cancelled the contracts of sale and today we know the rest. Whoever gets them should be a ble to turn them around in 5 years the ways the telecom companies did.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nicepoker(m): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2013
Merkki: Great news. The birthday gift I've been expecting! Who will buy me a refinery as a birthday gift?
meet ur bf 4 that
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Olalaa: 12:34am On Nov 20, 2013
our ptresent leader were nothing but a prodigal set of leaders. selling our refinery?. next is to sell aso rock.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by Nobody: 3:29am On Nov 20, 2013
tbagjames: hw much does it cost. i want to buy one for my mother in-law

Did u marry her daughter already? If not "owo worgbo"
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by DaLover(m): 9:13am On Nov 20, 2013
kobikwelu:

how can you say the boldened??

okay..let me explain.....

Lets say in a country that has 20 refineries...one day these refineries decide to shutdown...what will be the effect on the country?
IT WILL BE UTTER CHAOS...

And in a place like Nigeria (even though we import more petrol than we refine locally) where basically all spheres of life depends on petrol...think of the effect....

Basically, NEPA, OUR REFINERIES....are our own strategic assets of National importance...

Another case..lets say in a war between two countries.....what are the major targets during the initial campaign?...REFINERIES, POWERSUPPLY, FOOD RESERVES...etc..

I do not meant they are not important, but it should not be an excuse for government to run the business...food is also very important..and food supply can also be used to defeat a country in times of war...it doesnt mean that govt should take over all the farms in nigeria because they are "strategically important".

We should hide under this "strategically important" excuse to ruin our future.

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by DaLover(m): 9:18am On Nov 20, 2013
Kumalayer: Do u know how much mtn is getting out of we nigerians daily?,all in d name of dis privatisation,yet network problems still persist and hidden charges are countless,i hope dey wont start privatising our houses.

Stop being difficult....if you are asked to choose, which would you go for

1-MTN making good money while providing services (remember when there is no network, you are not charged), and millions have access to telecommunications

2-NITEL not making money, with just 200,000 lines..., getting a line cost N50k, poor service quality, in intention to expand network, no creativity due to lack of competition etc...

Please I would like to know

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by DaLover(m): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2013
deepseel:
Does it mean we should also sell d country to private investors since it is nt working? The truth is dis government is selling us away bit by bit. A government dt does not want to shoulder any responsibility, just keep watching as things unfold.

the problem is that you trivalise policy fomulation and regulation...that is why you feel that if the government is not running business, then it is not doing anything...

Economies are built by government focusing on policy formulation and regulation, and not by government trying to run businesses...

1 Like

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by DaLover(m): 9:34am On Nov 20, 2013
kraftykc:

Please read up on how much Diezani sank into these bottomless portals of corruption and you will see that this "ANNOUNCEMENT" doesn't mean shhit!
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/one-million-barrels-per-day-refining-capacity-target-illusion-or-reality-/156730/

This link shows the most recent attempt to gloss over the pigsty they call a corporation. The entire government is pathetic and all I expect from them is to die.
Your rants are rather childish, like an annoyed child,
Building new refineries and conducting TAM is totally different from privatization.
This means the govt is removing itself from the business, which is how it was suppose to be in the first place.
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by DaLover(m): 9:55am On Nov 20, 2013
[/quote]
jp philips:

You are right when you said that private people own refineries in other climates but it doesn't change the fact that refinery is a strategic national asset in Nigeria.
Nigeria's economy is resonating around oil and refining is one of its life wires, also, do you phantom the national crises that ensue when there is shortage of petroleum products?

The end of the road like i told you before is that the people who can afford it are likely going to be foreigners who don't have your country's interest at heart, even some indigenous companies who may afford it will source funding abroad.

Also consider the position of foreign politics, immediately the US sanctioned Iran's oil, all the Allies of the US complied, that means that if Iran didn't have NIOC (being their local oil company) their oil business has ended which you and I know is the main stay of their economy.

that is what will happen to you when you privatize all your critical national assets.

let me remind you that NIOC (National Iranian oil company) can be likened to our NNPC, today it has become their saving grace.

Privatization is not better than JVA and PPP, NNPC holds majority stake in SPDC, while shell (the private company) is the operator, that way, they bring in their world class operation standard, state of the art technology and for over 55yrs, they have ensured Nigeria is exporting oil.

It is a silly economic policy to sell off ALL your critical national assets in the name of privatization.

Under a US sanction, all the foreign companies will halt operations, now when you have foreign companies in charge of Power, foreign in charge of Aviation, Banking, insurance, foreign companies in charge of refining, foreign companies in charge of oil production, foreign companies in charge of ordinary water, what do you have?

just one sanction and all these companies pack up or there is a melt down like the 2008 saga, Nigeria will literary shut down.

Privatize power but keep NEPA, NEPA can Own a majority stake in the power sector while Manitoba brings in their world class experience to keep it afloat.
privatize The downstream by licensing Orient and co but keep PRCN, you never can tell what will happen to the economic dynamics of the world.

What about competition? when you licensed MTN and murdered NITEL, nobody competed with MTN till Glo arrived, meanwhile NITEL could have done the same job and increased the competition further leading to lower tarrifs earlier than we had it.

lastly, do you know that when Lehman brothers liquidated, they equally fried their over sees assets, you don't want Manitoba canada to liquidate and Enugu disco remains in darkness forever do you? It is not in anybody's interest to have so much foreign exposure, the 2008 meltdown should serve as an eye opener.

Jonathan's administration is known for "quick fix" approach to national issues and that will be the problem of the next generation just like he is cleaning up the mess of our past.

What about the issues surrounding the PIB on balkanizing the NNPC, have they been solved before selling off its subsidiaries? those are the real issues, the problem with Nigerians is that they don't know how bad Govt policies affect them till it touches their skin.

The big question is; Why do you need to create a problem trying to solve another?

JP phillips, you and I will never agree on this...our philosophies are totally different on this topic, but what I can say for sure is that when the biggest country in the world treathens you, all your efforts will be in vain...right now iran is on its knees begging to scrap its nuclear program

This is the reply I gave to someone else, I am also giving it to you

the problem is that you trivalise policy fomulation and regulation...that is why you feel that if the government is not running business, then it is not doing anything...

Economies are built by government focusing on policy formulation and regulation, and not by government trying to run businesses...
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by PeroRemzy(m): 11:25am On Nov 20, 2013
Crook Street Gang
Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by jpphilips(m): 6:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
DaLover:

JP phillips, you and I will never agree on this...our philosophies are totally different on this topic, but what I can say for sure is that when the biggest country in the world treathens you, all your efforts will be in vain...right now iran is on its knees begging to scrap its nuclear program

This is the reply I gave to someone else, I am also giving it to you

We don't need to agree, all you need to do is to go through my posts and tell me any of my predictions that didn't come to pass then i will remind you what you said about deregulation.
you may appear smart but it takes critical thinking to formulate economic policies, I have no doubt that the people steering that ship for us is incompetent.

Mention two developed countries whose '' critical infrastructures'' are run by foreigners?

You said I trivialize economic policies, oyea! and how have you fared with the deregulation you supported?

you are just too blind to see like i told you the last time, you are better off in the Romance section.

Let me enlighten you a little.

Cuba has lived through decades of foreign sanctions and i tell you thy are not doing badly, have you bothered to ask how they survived?
when your thinking is not panoramic, you are prone to think like PDP.

Pre Ghadaffi Libya lived through loads of Foreign Sanctions but still came out with the best GDP in Africa, did you bother to find out how it happened? I guess not, so for someone who hasn't thought deeply, there is nothing i will tell you that will change anything.

That bold part of your post is a true reflection of laziness and incompetence, it is only a PDP Government that will present such fallacy as an economic yard stick for policy formulation.

And who told you that it was the sanctions that brought Iran to the Geneva negotiation table? that thing I always complain about you, you lack knowledge, this is what financial times said about Iran's new turn coat.

""But the idea that it is sanctions that have brought Tehran to the table is wrong. The real cause is the desire of new President Hassan Rouhani to reach a rapprochement with the US, the EU, its neighbours and other world powers, alongside the fact that the US red line has changed from “no enrichment of uranium” to “no nuclear bomb”."

educate yourself here

[url]http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8d9631f4-510c-11e3-b499-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2lCzrJaHn
[/url]

May the almighty grant you the wisdom that you seek and also help you to live through your wishes.
When jp philips writes, read, unlearn then relearn.

Re: FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year by jamace(m): 8:42pm On Nov 20, 2013
Supported.

I don't see why we have 4 refineries in this country, yet no fuel from them. Enough money has been sunk into the goddam refineries yet nothing good come out of them. Let govt sell the corrupt bermuda triangle of Nigerian economy, swallowing our money in the name of turn around maintenance.

I feel real sad that in Nigeria, anything govt property is never treated with respect and never performs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"We Are Concerned With 2019 General Elections" - APC To Defectors / Atiku Lands In Buhari's State Today As He Continue His Rally / President Buhari Appoints Five Principal Officers For NASENI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.