Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,714 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (62054 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 4:38pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:

They are bonafide Igbo aborigines from Ife, not the Ife in Imo State (surprised?), but the Ife in Osun State.
People can claim anything irrespective of their location .However, Ibos are not from ILE IFE. I know this too well. I can't be surprised .I have revealed the name of Ogboru. Unveil them and let see if it is true. Lemme tell you one bitter thing now. Irrespective of anyone link to ILE IFE,there is a chain link of lineage of ancestors.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 4:54pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
My dear, Oluku mi, possibly mean friend in part of the places you mentioned though “OLU" have different meanings,depending on the mark of accent. There is also, OLU likened to mushroom, especially the ones been poison-less eaten by Yorubas. However, a settlement coined and called Olukumi doesn't mean “friend" because Yoruba named most settlement after the situation, Noble lineage, Chiefly , or leader of such settlement especially if he is linked to kingly blood. This is because, people do venture into different settlement for subjugation purposes and once the name of such place is mentioned with nobility, the place will be sheltered from being invaded from Yoruba Soldiers on espionage or expeditions . It is important to note that the meaning of the settlement of Yoruba people in anioma axis of Delta state can't be friend. I will advice you to read more about Olukumi/Olukunmi (the later is supposed to be right pronunciation). The Anioma people usually refer to them Olukwumi or something close to it. The “Kwu" Sound exactly “Kun" in Yoruba. Don't forget the fact that even OGBORU of Delta is a descendant of Odua from LAJAMASIN (daughter ) . So, that axis had Yoruba noble lineage lived there at one time or the other. The Civil war in BINI around 14th—15th centuries did made some Yoruba settlements move out of BINI to these different locations .

No settlement is called Olukumi. It is the people who are called Olukumi. Their settlements have named like Ukwunzu, Ugbodu, etc. You, perhaps, are the one that needs to read more about Olukumi. It's not today I started reading about and meeting them. I am Anioma, and the Olukumi people exist in my backyard.

Olukumi in this context means exactly what I have told you it means.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 5:30pm On May 17, 2017
laudate:

The guy you quoted is nothing but a confusionist and a revisionist. He keeps turning logic on its head, and twisting facts to suit his preconceived notions. 9jakool's rebuttal is factual and authentic. Tell your brother Sunnysparkle to take lessons from him. Those who have conducted proper and adequate research into this area, can easily tell you that the old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife, have nothing to do with the present day Nd'Igbo of the South-East. They share no historical links, and no similarities whatsoever.
They don't share anything in common yet they are placed in the same African Family of Kwa, where I can mouth - Onu and they call Mouth - Onu, I call Ear - Nti and the call Eti, Where I call Spring water - Omi and they call water - Omi... You see you are out here not to make any sense. You have refused to illustrate something systematically and academically. In science you prove and not state or deny. You are not quarrelling with anyone. I am not in for that ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sacarsim, cos I don't think anyone has monopoly of it. What is the confusion here? That your ego wouldn't allow you identify similarities between groups? If they are not related, then they don't have any business being in the Kwa Family group of Black Africans! Talk and behave like an educated personality if you are one!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 5:41pm On May 17, 2017
Probz:

All I'm seeing is another ode who thinks using block caps makes him sound smart. Yaba needs more beds.
The English came from Denmark, Germany, France and later on colonised by Rome. Are they now Danish, Germans, French and Romans? I know your type. Nobody is dragging your ethnicity with you! It isn't a matter of dishing out all gutter languages you can muster but that of articulation
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 5:44pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
People can claim anything irrespective of their location .However, Ibos are not from ILE IFE. I know this too well. I can't be surprised .I have revealed the name of Ogboru. Unveil them and let see if it is true. Lemme tell you one bitter thing now. Irrespective of anyone link to ILE IFE,there is a chain link of lineage of ancestors.
It is just plain. Please I don't understand this chain link of lineage you are talking about. Hope it wont end up being some form of unacademic fairy tales. Please elaborate and illustrate more on it so we can see and understand.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 5:54pm On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

the kwa languages are related, however the Ugbo of Ife have nothing to do with Igbo of Eastern Nigeria. Igbo means forest and it doesn't have the same intonation of Ndi Igbo.
Illustrate why they are not related. Any proof apart from intonation? Expantiate more on your statement
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 5:55pm On May 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:

No settlement is called Olukumi. It is the people who are called Olukumi. Their settlements have named like Ukwunzu, Ugbodu, etc. You, perhaps, are the one that needs to read more about Olukumi. It's not today I started reading about and meeting them. I am Anioma, and the Olukumi people exist in my backyard.

I know the Olukumi are Anioma politically and geographically. I know they migrated during the Benin empire and traces their origin to parts of Ondo state. Since you are Anioma, how do they identify?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 6:05pm On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

I know the Olukumi are Anioma politically and geographically. I know they migrated during the Benin empire and traces their origin to parts of Ondo state. Since you are Anioma, how do they identify?

The ones I know identify simply as Olukumi. They are aware of their Yoruba heritage, but I haven't met any of them that identifies as Yoruba. They just say they are Olukumi.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:

The ones I know identify simply as Olukumi. They are aware of their Yoruba heritage, but I haven't met any of them that identifies as Yoruba. They just say they are Olukumi.
How about the language, how is it endangered or are they doing their best to keep it active?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 7:13pm On May 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Thanks! Anioma is an interesting place.
I forgot to ask...
Do they identify as Igbo? I heard a lot of them speak Igbo and their language is endangered. Their original language is very close to Eastern Yoruba dialects especially from Owo-Ondo area.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 7:28pm On May 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I will not engage you on this matter. I advise you to read more from a writer, Chief G B Nkemnacho, who has done tremendous work on this people's history. OLUKUMI DOESN'T MEAN “ FRIEND". I rest my case
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 7:36pm On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
It is just plain. Please I don't understand this chain link of lineage you are talking about. Hope it wont end up being some form of unacademic fairy tales. Please elaborate and illustrate more on it so we can see and understand.
Unacademic fairy tales? What Academic do people have? When some people don't have knowledge on my history and denied migration from Far East. My own ancestors migrated to ILE IFE. And the movement was in different waves. ILE IFE, has record of families. Anyone who claims to have connection to Yoruba must have link with the families at ILE IFE. Just like people are in Lagos with different identities and can still twist and speak Yoruba language till infinity. It doesn't make such a Yoruba. If some people claim ILE IFE, they must have families linked to ILE IFE. Proof it. Oral history and evidence close to it showed that Olofin Adimula fused the thirteen small units to Six groups. The sixth was headed by his younger brother. And each been acknowledged as Oba.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 7:47pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
Scholarly you claim? ILE IFE, has record of families. Proof it. Olofin Adimula fused the thirteen small units to Six groups. The sixth was headed by his younger brother. And each been acknowledged as Oba.
I didn't claim. Oral history
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 7:53pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
Unacademic fairy tales? What Academic do people have? When some people don't have knowledge on my history and denied migration from Far East. My own ancestors migrated to ILE IFE. And the movement was in different waves. ILE IFE, has record of families. Anyone who claims to have connection to Yoruba must have link with the families at ILE IFE. Just like people are in Lagos with different identities and can still twist and speak Yoruba language till infinity. It doesn't make such a Yoruba. If some people claim ILE IFE, they must have families linked to ILE IFE. Proof it. Oral history and evidence close to it showed that Olofin Adimula fused the thirteen small units to Six groups. The sixth was headed by his younger brother. And each been acknowledged as Oba.
Sounds so oral. It should been more elaborate and clear. Don't bother yourself I can read more on works of Scholars of Yoruba history. I've read and enjoyed lots of books on Yoruba. Especially on Egba, a civilisation I love so much. I also love works done on Remo, Akoko, Owo and Ijumu. I love the works. I'm eager to study on Ikale/Ilaje/Odigbo/Ile-Oluji etc and also about the People of Ese-Odo LGA
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 8:02pm On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
Sounds so oral. It should been more elaborate and clear. Don't bother yourself I can read more on works of Scholars of Yoruba history.
Oral is part of human history and from it fact can be deduced..
The thirteen groups attached below

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 8:08pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
Oral is part of human history and from it fact can be deduced..
The thirteen groups attached below
Can't see that well. Can I have a link? So I can study this very well: However, You can't compare what is gotten orally with what is gotten scientifically, Cos even lies when said for a long time become truth. Oral history is good but not when there is nothing scientific or factual backing it
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 8:10pm On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
Sounds so oral. It should been more elaborate and clear. Don't bother yourself I can read more on works of Scholars of Yoruba history. I've read and enjoyed lots of books on Yoruba. Especially on Egba, a civilisation I love so much. I also love works done on Remo, Akoko, Owo and Ijumu. I love the works
Of course yes. Although many Yoruba authors didn't see beyond ILE IFE. If you want to know people history, go to villages. You will be surprised at what you will discover, which is contrary to what many authors did in the past by covering up outside connection to Yoruba history. Anyway , Some knowledge are gained from some of these authors.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 9:08pm On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
Can't see that well. Can I have a link? So I can study this very well: However, You can't compare what is gotten orally with what is gotten scientifically, Cos even lies when said for a long time become truth. Oral history is good but not when there is nothing scientific or factual backing it
Read Genesis of Yoruba Race
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 10:08pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
I will not engage you on this matter. I advise you to read more from a writer, Chief G B Nkemnacho, who has done tremendous work on this people's history. OLUKUMI DOESN'T MEAN “ FRIEND". I rest my case

LOL. It is better you rest your case, sir. Apparently you haven't even read anything Chief Nkemnacho or other Olukumi greats like Temofeh have written about Olukumi.

This link is a description of Chief Nkemnacho's unpublished book written by the man's son U. George-Nkemnacho on the Olukumi. Please read what is says there about the meaning of Olukumi and continue resting your case.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-history-of-the-olukumi-people-in-nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 10:10pm On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

Thanks! Anioma is an interesting place.
I forgot to ask...
Do they identify as Igbo? I heard a lot of them speak Igbo and their language is endangered. Their original language is very close to Eastern Yoruba dialects especially from Owo-Ondo area.

Like I said they identify as Olukumi. They are able to speak Igbo (Aniocha variety) and bear Igbo names, but their identity is Olukumi.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 10:12pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:
How about the language, how is it endangered or are they doing their best to keep it active?

Language is still alive. Some historically Olukumi villages no longer speak the language and have made a switch to Igbo.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by laudate: 11:30pm On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
They don't share anything in common yet they are placed in the same African Family of Kwa, where I can mouth - Onu and they call Mouth - Onu, I call Ear - Nti and the call Eti, Where I call Spring water - Omi and they call water - Omi... You see you are out here not to make any sense. You have refused to illustrate something systematically and academically. In science you prove and not state or deny. You are not quarrelling with anyone. I am not in for that ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sacarsim, cos I don't think anyone has monopoly of it. What is the confusion here? That your ego wouldn't allow you identify similarities between groups? If they are not related, then they don't have any business being in the Kwa Family group of Black Africans! Talk and behave like an educated personality if you are one!

Guy, you are not just confused, but totally clueless. So blo*dy what if they belong to the 'kwa family? Do you know how many tribes belong to the kwa group, yet their languages are mutually unintelligible to each other? Do you think everyone is gullible enough to swallow the lies you are trying to recycle and pass off as 'truth' here? The only person spewing ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sarcasm is you!! You know what? Never mind....

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 6:11am On May 18, 2017
laudate:

Guy, you are not just confused, but totally clueless. So blo*dy what if they belong to the 'kwa family? Do you know how many tribes belong to the kwa group, yet their languages are mutually unintelligible to each other? Do you think everyone is gullible enough to swallow the lies you are trying to recycle and pass off as 'truth' here? The only person spewing ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sarcasm is you!! You know what? Never mind....
Sir, your outburst was so extreme, unnecesary and anti-intellectual. I actually agree with many things he said and don't see what is so confusing or 'confusionist' there. The guy is loaded with knowledge and you cannot intimidate him from sharing it. Peace.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 6:17am On May 18, 2017
RedboneSmith:

LOL. It is better you rest your case, sir. Apparently you haven't even read anything Chief Nkemnacho or other Olukumi greats like Temofeh have written about Olukumi.

This link is a description of Chief Nkemnacho's unpublished book written by the man's son U. George-Nkemnacho on the Olukumi. Please read what is says there about the meaning of Olukumi and continue resting your case.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-history-of-the-olukumi-people-in-nigeria
I only gave you a hint on it. If you think, I haven't read anything about Olukumi, then it means, you have an assumed position on the subject matter. However, I had and will still continue. I only refer to the name of the personality because of what seems to be the basis of this juxtaposing, which is the meaning of Olukunmi /Olukumi as “Friend ". Just like Rev. Samuel Johnson, blundered on OONI, identity, claiming One nonsense OWoni was saved child, whose mother was to be slain for trespassing on a day non movement and that he is the representative of Odua, which is a LIE. In fact even the name Odu'a is not the original name of the progenitor of ILE IFE. The reason I choose not to get muddy with you is because I know what I have read about the people and the falsified lies adduced to their migration. Part of Yoruba people of Olukumi begun movement when Civil war happened in BINI.
My submission still stand as OLUKUMI doesn't mean “friend”
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 6:30am On May 18, 2017
laudate:

Guy, cuss if you wan cuss. No ome's gonna take offence to you saying bloody more than insulting someome who doesn't agree with you.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 7:56am On May 18, 2017
laudate:

I don't notice plain empty talkers. I can only accept disproving something constructively with academic illustrations devoid of babaric gutter language. Rubbish!!!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by laudate: 1:35pm On May 18, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
I don't notice plain empty talkers. I can only accept disproving something constructively with academic illustrations devoid of babaric gutter language. Rubbish!!!

Why are you offended? Were you not the same person who stated earlier that "I am not in for that ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sacarsim, cos I don't think anyone has monopoly of it." Or have you forgotten? I merely threw your words back at you. So why are you complaining? let me just refresh your memory.
SUNNYsparkle:
Others have cited sources and facts to buttress the fact that the old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife were not the aborigines related to the present day Nd'Igbo of the South-east, but you persist in recycling your own brand of revisionism. sad

Probz:
Guy, cuss if you wan cuss. No ome's gonna take offence to you saying bloody more than insulting someome who doesn't agree with you.
igbodefender:
Sir, your outburst was so extreme, unnecesary and anti-intellectual. I actually agree with many things he said and don't see what is so confusing or 'confusionist' there. The guy is loaded with knowledge and you cannot intimidate him from sharing it. Peace.

My words were not extreme. undecidedI merely returned the favour he had earlier extended to me, by using the same kind of language he had used to respond to my previous post. Obviously, both of you chose to ignore his earlier rants. What can we call that?

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 18, 2017
laudate:

Why are you offended? Were you not the same person who stated earlier that "I am not in for that ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sacarsim, cos I don't think anyone has monopoly of it." Or have you forgotten? I merely threw your words back at you. So why are you complaining? let me just refresh your memory. Others have cited sources and facts to buttress the fact that the old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife were not the aborigines realted to the present day Nd'Igbo of the South-east, but you persist in recycling your own brand or revisionism. sad

My words were not extreme. undecidedI merely returned the favour he had earlier extended to me, by using the same kind of language he had used to respond to my previous post. Obviously, both of you chose to ignore his earlier rants. What can we call that?
Ok, everyone sheath your swords. Let there be peace. Afterall we are all correct or be corrected.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 1:55pm On May 18, 2017
laudate:

Why are you offended? Were you not the same person who stated earlier that "I am not in for that ethnic rubbish, loud mouthedness and sacarsim, cos I don't think anyone has monopoly of it." Or have you forgotten? I merely threw your words back at you. So why are you complaining? let me just refresh your memory. Others have cited sources and facts to buttress the fact that the old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife were not the aborigines realted to the present day Nd'Igbo of the South-east, but you persist in recycling your own brand or revisionism. sad

And you're too much of a wuss to say common "bloody" without filtering it out even though you don't mind returning the favour?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 1:56pm On May 18, 2017
igbodefender:
Ok, everyone sheath your swords. Let there be peace. Afterall we are all correct or be corrected.
Why are you sticking up for this yeye pikin?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by laudate: 2:01pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:
And you're too much of a wuss to say common "bloody" without filtering it out even though you don't mind returning the favour?
I tried. NL has an auto-correct function that filtered it out. You should know that I am quite blunt, and good at saying things the way they are. I do not shy away from speaking my mind!
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by laudate: 2:02pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:
Why are you sticking up for this yeye pikin?

Because he can see the truth, unlike you! By the way, who is a 'yeye' pikin? shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.