Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (62177 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 2:27pm On Feb 10, 2017
ODVanguard:

Bros, i think you quoted the wrong person. undecided
PARDONNE MON ERREUR.....Very true...My mistake. These people just annoys with false information. They will be looking for connections where there is non. And there was any at all, history don't miss it. If Yoruba moved out ILE IFE VIA PRINCES AND NOBLE MEN DID RECOUNTED THEIR MOVEMENT AND LOCATION THEY CONTINUALLY SETTLE DOWN TEMPORARILY BEFORE THEIR PERMANENT ABODE. THEN IT AMAZES ME WITH ALL THESE NONSENSICAL THEORIES.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Cire80: 11:30pm On Feb 10, 2017
Igbo people here again doing what they know how to do best

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 4:56am On Feb 11, 2017
Olu317:
If Tequila isnt telling you the truth,I will advise you to go to ILE IFE and tell them that, they are IBOS. And let them kick your butts....YOU AND YOUR LIKES ARE COMPLETELY MISINFORMING THE WHOLE WORLD WITH YOUR FALSE HYPOTHESIS WITH NO EVIDENCE.....

EDO IS CLAIMING ODUA, NUPE IS CLAIMING ODUA, ORANMIYAN, SHANGO AND NOW IBO IS CLAIMING PART OF ILE IFE. WONDERS SHALL NEVER END. I PITY YOU ALL.

MY ADVICE TO YOU PRECISELY SEUN OSEWA, IS THAT YOU BETTER CALL SOME OF THESE YOUR MODERATORS AND THEIR LIKES THAT RELAY FALSE INFORMATION ON HERE TO ORDER ELSE YOUR SITE WILL BE CREDITED AMONG THE BLACKLIST .

All I'm seeing is another ode who thinks using block caps makes him sound smart. Yaba needs more beds.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 15, 2017
The Ooni of Ife is a great leader because of the way he has led the people of Ife, both the Igbo aborigines (the Obatala people now properly assimilated into the Yoruba race) and the Yoruba decsendants of Oduduwa The Great in unity and fairness through the centuries. God Bless the Ooni for this.

The Igbos recognize Ooni as the Great monarch of the Yoruba race, together with Alaafin of Oyo. Ooni's primacy of honour in the Yoruba pantheon of kings cannot and Must Not be denied.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 7:04pm On May 16, 2017
MetaPhysical:

The Ugbo of Ife are in coastal Ondo. You people are trying to rewrite their history and steal their birthright.

The Ugbo of Ife means forest people. The Ifes were civilized city dwellers, the forest people they referred to were in a dark age, uncivilized and unpolished in appearance or manners and lifestyle in that stage of their evolution.
That the Yorubas of today depict Igbo as forest does not necessarilly give the meaning to the name of the people Oduduwa met on ground when he came. The people that lived in the forests of West Africa were autochthonous Igbos. The real meaning being "Gbo, Hebo, Ebo" ie Ancient/time immemorial. The people called themselves as Ndi-Gbo (Ancient people) but were identifed as forest people by the youruba of ancient. Ife was not the only place they were. Infact the were scattered in the whole of forest area of Nigeria just as the autochthonous Sans were scattered in Southern Africa. They were hunters and gatherers as opposed to the Orus who at same time inhabited Southern Nigeria and who were hunters and fishermen. The autochthonnous Igbo who couldn't tolerate change and colonisation where pressured off to migrate to safer places, while other large numbers might have decided to stay back and be colonised. This was done by the Yorubas and Binis. Igbo of today fought the British as Igbo of the west fought the Oduduwa group. Igbo of today is not an empire like Igbo the Oduduwa group met on ground. They were not organised in large kingdoms as Ife kingdom of today, They had village leaders or village heads as most Igbo communities of today. Many questins bug my mind. Why are there Igbos on both sides of River Niger? Why is the Eastern part of Igboland bigger than the western part on the bank of the Niger and with more population? Why is Igboland so thickly populated and Yorubaland/Edoland not thickly populated like that of present Igboland? Why is it that the present day Igboland is not that big when compared to their population and together with the high population density and closeness of one Igbo clan/group to the other yet there are various varying dialects and languages with very short distance from each other unlike what we see in present Yorubaland/Edoland? At what time did the Nri group enter Igbo land? Why are most present day Igbo light in skin tone, to the extent that slave traders termed them "red Ibos". I think the Olugbo is right in his autochthnous narration. Ethnic rivalry apart, jokes apart, prejudice apart, I think it is high time a comprehensive study on the Kwa family which Yoruboid, Edoid, Igboid, Nupoid, Idomoid etc. belong was done. We are all related and we are a product of mixtures, assimilations and inter-marriages over sometime. For us to be in one language family is not a joke. There are lots of stuffs that had made us to be one family, Kwa family.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 7:57pm On May 16, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
That the Yorubas of today depict Igbo as forest does not necessarilly give the meaning to the name of the people Oduduwa met on ground when he came. The people that lived in the forests of West Africa were autochthonous Igbos. The real meaning being "Gbo, Hebo, Ebo" ie Ancient/time immemorial. The people called themselves as Ndi-Gbo (Ancient people) but were identifed as forest people by the youruba of ancient. Ife was not the only place they were. Infact the were scattered in the whole of forest area of Nigeria just as the autochthonous Sans were scattered in Southern Africa. They were hunters and gatherers as opposed to the Orus who at same time inhabited Southern Nigeria and who were hunters and fishermen. The autochthonnous Igbo who couldn't tolerate change and colonisation where pressured off to migrate to safer places, while other large numbers might have decided to stay back and be colonised. This was done by the Yorubas and Binis. Igbo of today fought the British as Igbo of the west fought the Oduduwa group. Igbo of today is not an empire like Igbo the Oduduwa group met on ground. They were not organised in large kingdoms as Ife kingdom of today, They had village leaders or village heads as most Igbo communities of today. Many questins bug my mind. Why are there Igbos on both sides of River Niger? Why is the Eastern part of Igboland bigger than the western part on the bank of the Niger and with more population? Why is Igboland so thickly populated and Yorubaland/Edoland not thickly populated like that of present Igboland? Why is it that the present day Igboland is not that big when compared to their population and together with the high population density and closeness of one Igbo clan/group to the other yet there are various varying dialects and languages with very short distance from each other unlike what we see in present Yorubaland/Edoland? At what time did the Nri group enter Igbo land? Why are most present day Igbo light in skin tone, to the extent that slave traders termed them "red Ibos". I think the Olugbo is right in his autochthnous narration. Ethnic rivalry apart, jokes apart, prejudice apart, I think it is high time a comprehensive study on the Kwa family which Yoruboid, Edoid, Igboid, Nupoid, Idomoid etc. belong was done. We are all related and we are a product of mixtures, assimilations and inter-marriages over sometime. For us to be in one language family is not a joke. There are lots of stuffs that had made us to be one family, Kwa family.
the kwa languages are related, however the Ugbo of Ife have nothing to do with Igbo of Eastern Nigeria. Igbo means forest and it doesn't have the same intonation of Ndi Igbo.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 10:34pm On May 16, 2017
9jakool:

the kwa languages are related, however the Ugbo of Ife have nothing to do with Igbo of Eastern Nigeria. Igbo means forest and it doesn't have the same intonation of Ndi Igbo.
What is the meaning of Yoruba? Why are there two different types of Igbo? Yet they are not Igbo? Who gave them the same name, yet different meanings? If Ulukwumi is Ancient Yoruba, what makes the ancient Igbo Oduduwa met not the same with Igbo. Is the distance to far to be true? Remove sentiments from these and answer with facts and figures. It must be convincing not mere telling us "this is not this" without any thing to show for it. Who gave the present day Igbo the name "Igbo"? Why is it the same name with the ones Oduduwa group met? Also bear in mind that Eko and Lagos are same but yet different pronounciations.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 12:37am On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
What is the meaning of Yoruba?
Yoruba was the name that Oyo empire was referred to by surrounding states.
Why are there two different types of Igbo?
First of all, "igbo" comes from the standardized modern Yoruba. The original people were known as Ugbó in the in the local Ife dialect, which translates to forest. In standardized modern Yoruba, Ugbó is known as Igbó. According to some oral sources, the people in the kingdom of Ugbó in present day Ondo state are from from ancient Ugbó of Ife.
Yet they are not Igbo? Who gave them the same name, yet different meanings?
Igbo is just a word in Yoruba with different intonation. If you speak a Kwa/Volta-Niger language, then you know how different intonation can affect or drastically change the meaning of a word. Ndi Igbo people(Eastern Nigerians) in Yoruba are referred to as ígbò or íbò, which is different from igbó (forest) and the Ìgbó in Ìgbómìnà (Yoruba subgroup). They don't have the same intonation, so they are not the same in meaning.
If Ulukwumi is Ancient Yoruba, what makes the ancient Igbo Oduduwa met not the same with Igbo. Is the distance to far to be true? Remove sentiments from these and answer with facts and figures. It must be convincing not mere telling us "this is not this" without any thing to show for it.
Ulukwumi is a Yoruba word in actuality. ígbò/íbò has no deep meaning in Yoruba. It's just a word Yoruba people used to refer to the people in the East. It has no ethymology context in Yoruba. Ulukwumi/ulukumi/olukumi/lukumi means my companion or my friend in Yoruba.
Who gave the present day Igbo the name "Igbo"?
See that question is not for Yoruba people, but for Igbo people. Look into your oral sources or something.
Why is it the same name with the ones Oduduwa group met?
I just explained it, they are not the same. Big difference in intonation.
Also bear in mind that Eko and Lagos are same but yet different pronounciations.
Even though they refer to the same place, they have no relationship in meaning as they originate from different sources/languages. Lagos is Portuguese word meaning lake and Eko means farm or war camp.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 12:47am On May 17, 2017
What tribe are you, 9jakool? That's if you don't mind me asking.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 12:50am On May 17, 2017
Probz:
What tribe are you, 9jakool? That's if you don't mind me asking.

Do you have a reason for wanting to know?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 12:52am On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

Do you have a reason for wanting to know?
Nope, I'm just wondering. You seem to know a lot about ndi Igbo.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 1:02am On May 17, 2017
Probz:
Nope, I'm just wondering. You seem to know a lot about ndi Igbo.
I'm not Igbo. I just have a few family ties. I'm a history/culture fanatic so I study Nigerian/African history including that of Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 4:18am On May 17, 2017
@ 9jacool

Well Ugbo people were among the Igbo people Oduduwa met in Ife, but we know there was a general dispersal of these autochtonous Igbo after they were defeated at Igbomokun Battle due to Moremi Ajesoro (the Yoruba woman who married the Oba Igbo, the Obi Osere Igbo of the time, Obatala Oreluere.

So the Ugbo may have been part of the Igbo community that dispersed but there are also other succesor Igbo communities of Obatala's Ife. After war, some are killed, some sold out some eacape and others are assimilated.

The ancestors of the present day Ugbodu, Onicha (Orissa) Ugbo and Ugokko Araba area in the Igbo part of Niger Delta were autochtonous Igbos of Ile Ife. The ancestors of Ogba in Rivers State were among. The Oguta Igbo (who inherited the Obatala's Osere title) were also among.

They include the Igbo who didn't leave Ife, the Igbo who left to other areas in today's Yoruba land like the Great Owus and the Igbo who left and went far away.

They include the Eze Chima people ( yes, the Anioma- Igbos of the Niger Delta and parts of the South East- who followed Lucuni Prince Chima Obatala to Benin then to Anioma their farm area), the Obalufon people ( the Igbo's who never left Ife, that is he Oluyare or Igare or Iranje people), the Olukwumi speaking people in Anioma-Olukwumi/Lucumi was the language spoken by these Igbo's), and the international Lucumis who were sold out during the evil transatlantic slave trade they can be found all over the Americas today.

The kindle book I have linked to below tells much more about this: https://www.amazon.com/History-Igbo-World-Ancient-Civilization-ebook/dp/B01K4AIUO8
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by SUNNYsparkle: 9:54am On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

First of all, "igbo" comes from the standardized modern Yoruba. The original people were known as Ugbó in the in the local Ife dialect, which translates to forest. In standardized modern Yoruba, Ugbó is known as Igbó. According to some oral sources, the people in the kingdom of Ugbó in present day Ondo state are from from ancient Ugbó of Ife.

Igbo is just a word in Yoruba with different intonation. If you speak a Kwa language, then you know how different intonation can affect or drastically change the meaning of a word. Ndi Igbo people(Eastern Nigerians) in Yoruba are referred to as ígbò or íbò, which is different from igbó (forest) and the Ìgbó in Ìgbómìnà (Yoruba subgroup). They don't have the same intonation, so they are not the same in meaning.

Ulukwumi is a Yoruba word in actuality. ígbò/íbò has no deep meaning in Yoruba. It's just a word Yoruba people used to refer to the people in the East. It has no ethymology context in Yoruba. Ulukwumi/ulukumi/olukumi/lukumi means my companion or my friend in Yoruba.

See that question is not for Yoruba people, but for Igbo people. Look into your oral sources or something.

Even though they refer to the same place, they have no relationship in meaning as they originate from different sources/languages. Lagos is Portuguese word meaning lake and Eko means farm or war camp.
This does not say anything to the questions I posed. Lagos is a Lagoon and not a lake. Lagos should be a corruption of the word "Isaleko". The Portugese that sailed all the way from Porto through the Atlantic Ocean know the difference between a lake and a lagoon. If you are passing the question on how Igbo of today got their name, then I stand to say that the Igbo of today are similar to the aboriginal Igbo, reason the similarity in the name of the groups, the migratory pattern of other neighbouring groups like Ijo, the aboriginal Igbo dwelled in the forest, the present Igbo still found their way into the forest Eastwards. Why must it be forest they settled? The aboriginal Igbo of Ife had a masked secret society that fights high class wars, the Igbo of today have same masked secret society that engage in fierce wars, in Delta Igbo they are called the Ekumeku and in Eastern Igbo they have different names ranging from Ekpe etc. That the Igbo of today are forest dwellers means that both aboriginal Igbo and present day Igbo livelihood depended on the forests of West Africa as gatherers and hunters, and there were certainly no boundaries then. Thats the reason despite the distance existing between the Yoruba of today and Igbo of today there are still some words that are same between the Yoruba and Igbo of today, and also some towns that sound the same, eg Oka in Ogun waterside/Oka in Ondo - Awka (Oka) in Anambra, Ijebu Ode in Ogun and Ode in Anambra, Ife in Osun and Ife in Imo, Oba in Ondo/Kwara/Kogi and Oba in Anambra, Onicha Ugbo in Delta and Ugbo in Ondo, Ara in Imo and Ara in Kwara etc. in both Languages you have words with same meaning, Orisha in Yoruba and Orisa/Olisa in Igbo, Owu (thread), Mouth (Yoruba - Enu and Igbo - Onu), Masquerade - Egúngún (Yorùbá) and Egwugwu (Igbo), Rat/rodent - Eku (Yorùbá) and Oke (Igbo), Ear - Etí (Yorùbá) and Nti (Igbo), Divination - Ifá (Yorùbá) and Afa (Igbo), House - Ilé (Yorùbá) and Ulọ (Igbo), Elephant - Erin (Yorùbá) and Enyi (Igbo), Nose - Imú (Yorùbá) and Imi (Igbo), Stone - Yoruba: Okuta and Igbo: Okute/Okwute, Amen - Yoruba: Ase and Igbo: Ise, A Twin - Yoruba: Ejire and Igbo: Ejime/Ejima, What - Yoruba: Kini and Igbo: Gini, He/she said - Yoruba: Oso and Igbo: Osi... I wish God will take us back so we can see the past and unravel all these instead of distortions, rivalry and argument. My focus is on the similarities, I am not into politics nor ethnic rivalry as concerns these findings. I am into studies, history and research. All these doesn't make one less Igbo, or less Yoruba. Some Britons migrated from Britany (Britania) in France to the present British Isles where they were fused with the Angles and the Saxtons who migrated from Denmark and Germany respectively and they Became the present day English people who were later assimilated more by the Romans. That is why there are some indigenous words we find in German/English/France. What is hard between this Yoruba and Igbo mystery? Mere looking at the maps of both groups you'll first decode that the Yorubas and the Edos were the expansionists while the Igbo on the other hand look more like the people pressured and are running and conserving on a smaller portion reason for the high population density. Before now Europeans were presenting Ancient Egyptians as Caucasoids but recent findings, logic, common sense and scientific proofs show they were black and dark-skinned Africans like us. Also recent findings proves that Blacks and Dark-Skinned people inhabited ancient Iraq and Iran. There rulers were black negroes who looked same like the Original Afro-Asiatic Hausa people, Ethiopians, Nubians with their wooly hair. There are certainly more to Yoruba-Igbo relationship than the politics and ethnic rivalry that exist between both group. More studies and research should concentrate on these similarities and more scientific history.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 10:07am On May 17, 2017
SUNNYsparkle:
This does not say anything to the questions I posed. Lagos is a Lagoon and not a lake. Lagos should be a corruption of the word "Isaleko". The Portugese that sailed all the way from Porto through the Atlantic Ocean know the difference between a lake and a lagoon. If you are passing the question on how Igbo of today got their name, then I stand to say that the Igbo of today are similar to the aboriginal Igbo, reason the similarity in the name of the groups, the migratory pattern of other neighbouring groups like Ijo, the aboriginal Igbo dwelled in the forest, the present Igbo still found their way into the forest Eastwards. Why must it be forest they settled? The aboriginal Igbo of Ife had a masked secret society that fights high class wars, the Igbo of today have same masked secret society that engage in fierce wars, in Delta Igbo they are called the Ekumeku and in Eastern Igbo they have different names ranging from Ekpe etc. That the Igbo of today are forest dwellers means that both aboriginal Igbo and present day Igbo livelihood depended on the forests of West Africa as gatherers and hunters, and there were certainly no boundaries then. Thats the reason despite the distance existing between the Yoruba of today and Igbo of today there are still some words that are same between the Yoruba and Igbo of today, and also some towns that sound the same, eg Oka in Ogun waterside/Oka in Ondo - Awka (Oka) in Anambra, Ijebu Ode in Ogun and Ode in Anambra, Ife in Osun and Ife in Imo, Oba in Ondo/Kwara/Kogi and Oba in Anambra, Onicha Ugbo in Delta and Ugbo in Ondo, Ara in Imo and Ara in Kwara etc. in both Languages you have words with same meaning, Orisha in Yoruba and Orisa/Olisa in Igbo, Owu (thread), Mouth (Yoruba - Enu and Igbo - Onu), Masquerade - Egúngún (Yorùbá) and Egwugwu (Igbo), Rat/rodent - Eku (Yorùbá) and Oke (Igbo), Ear - Etí (Yorùbá) and Nti (Igbo), Divination - Ifá (Yorùbá) and Afa (Igbo), House - Ilé (Yorùbá) and Ulọ (Igbo), Elephant - Erin (Yorùbá) and Enyi (Igbo), Nose - Imú (Yorùbá) and Imi (Igbo), Stone - Yoruba: Okuta and Igbo: Okute/Okwute, Amen - Yoruba: Ase and Igbo: Ise, A Twin - Yoruba: Ejire and Igbo: Ejime/Ejima, What - Yoruba: Kini and Igbo: Gini, He/she said - Yoruba: Oso and Igbo: Osi... I wish God will take us back so we can see the past and unravel all these instead of distortions, rivalry and argument. My focus is on the similarities, I am not into politics nor ethnic rivalry as concerns these findings. I am into studies, history and research. All these doesn't make one less Igbo, or less Yoruba. Some Britons migrated from Britany (Britania) in France to the present British Isles where they were fused with the Angles and the Saxtons who migrated from Denmark and Germany respectively and they Became the present day English people who were later assimilated more by the Romans. That is why there are some indigenous words we find in German/English/France. What is hard between this Yoruba and Igbo mystery? Mere looking at the maps of both groups you'll first decode that the Yorubas and the Edos were the expansionists while the Igbo on the other hand look more like the people pressured and are running and conserving on a smaller portion reason for the high population density. Before now Europeans were presenting Ancient Egyptians as Caucasoids but recent findings, logic, common sense and scientific proofs show they were black and dark-skinned Africans like us. There are certainly more to Yoruba-Igbo relationship than the politics and ethnic rivalry that exist between both group. More studies and research should concentrate on these similarities and more scientific history.

1000 gbosa for you! You are indeed a great researcher and an articulate debater. And your points are based squarely on fact. I also like the fact that you are not doing it for ethnic rivalry but rather for scholarship, history, truth and to promote Igbo-Yoruba bilateral relationship. Please keep researching on this topic and enlightening us on your findings. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by laudate: 1:29pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:
1000 gbosa for you! You are indeed a great researcher and an articulate debater. And your points are based squarely on fact. I also like the fact that you are not doing it for ethnic rivalry but rather for scholarship, history, truth and to promote Igbo-Yoruba bilateral relationship. Please keep researching on this topic and enlightening us on your findings. Thank you.

The guy you quoted is nothing but a confusionist and a revisionist. He keeps turning logic on its head, and twisting facts to suit his preconceived notions. 9jakool's rebuttal is factual and authentic. Tell your brother Sunnysparkle to take lessons from him. Those who have conducted proper and adequate research into this area, can easily tell you that the old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife, have nothing to do with the present day Nd'Igbo of the South-East. They share no historical links, and no similarities whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 2:30pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:
@ 9jacool

Well Ugbo people were among the Igbo people Oduduwa met in Ife, but we know there was a general dispersal of these autochtonous Igbo after they were defeated at Igbomokun Battle due to Moremi Ajesoro (the Yoruba woman who married the Oba Igbo, the Obi Osere Igbo of the time, Obatala Oreluere.

So the Ugbo may have been part of the Igbo community that dispersed but there are also other succesor Igbo communities of Obatala's Ife. After war, some are killed, some sold out some eacape and others are assimilated.

The ancestors of the present day Ugbodu, Onicha (Orissa) Ugbo and Ugokko Araba area in the Igbo part of Niger Delta were autochtonous Igbos of Ile Ife. The ancestors of Ogba in Rivers State were among. The Oguta Igbo (who inherited the Obatala's Osere title) were also among.

They include the Igbo who didn't leave Ife, the Igbo who left to other areas in today's Yoruba land like the Great Owus and the Igbo who left and went far away.

They include the Eze Chima people ( yes, the Anioma- Igbos of the Niger Delta and parts of the South East- who followed Lucuni Prince Chima Obatala to Benin then to Anioma their farm area), the Obalufon people ( the Igbo's who never left Ife, that is he Oluyare or Igare or Iranje people), the Olukwumi speaking people in Anioma-Olukwumi/Lucumi was the language spoken by these Igbo's), and the international Lucumis who were sold out during the evil transatlantic slave trade they can be found all over the Americas today.

The kindle book I have linked to below tells much more about this: https://www.amazon.com/History-Igbo-World-Ancient-Civilization-ebook/dp/B01K4AIUO8
DNA PROOF YOU WRONG! PERIOD

HERE IS THE DNA TRACES OF YORUBA WITH WHOM THEY HAVE TRACES WITH IN AFRICA. I WILL SHOW THE REST OF THE WORLD LATER. STOP ALL THESE LINK, IT HOLD NO GROUND. IGBO-HO IS ONE OF THE OLDEST SETTLEMENT OF ANCIENT YORUBA. FUNNY SET OF PEOPLE.

EMI OMO OKE RI ULE
EMI OMO ARU-OGBO ULE

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 17, 2017
laudate:

The guy you quoted is nothing but a confusionist and a revisionist. He keeps turning logic on its head, and twisting facts to suit his preconceived notions. 9jakool's rebuttal is factual and authentic. Tell your brother Sunnysparkle to take lessons from him. Those who have conducted proper and adequate research into this area, can easily tell you that the old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife, have nothing to do with the present day Nd'Igbo of the South-East. They share no historical links, and no similarities whatsoever.

Please Sir, bring such research here, let it be disected and let the truth prevail. Very important. How can 2 totally different ethnic groups share the same name within one portion of a country (Southern Nigeria)? That is very very rare and such statements that the 2 groups are different should only be proven by research, not by calling people names. Otherwise it would seem shallow.

There is no doubt that the Ugbo people were among the aboriginal people called Igbos in Ile Ife during the halcyon times. But Ugbo cannot claim to be the only ones there then. What of Owu? What of the Olukwumi of Anioma (Ugbodu and co)? What of the Oluyare still in Ile Ife today?

And they should also not try to overturn the New Order imposed by Oduduwa.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by laudate: 2:41pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:
Please Sir, bring such research here, let it be disected and let the truth prevail. Very important. How can 2 totally different ethnic groups share the same name within one portion of a country (Southern Nigeria)? That is very very rare and such statements that the 2 groups are different should only be proven by research, not by calling people names. Otherwise it would seem shallow.

There is no doubt that the Ugbo people were among the aboriginal people called Igbos in Ile Ife during the halcyon times. But Ugbo cannot claim to be the only ones there then. What of Owu? What of the Olukwumi of Anioma (Ugbodu and co)? What of the Oluyare still in Ile Ife today?

And they should also not try to overturn the New Order imposed by Oduduwa.

Guy, there are different words in different languages that have different meanings, even when they have the same spelling. undecided Go and check.

In English language, the words sun and son have almost the same sound, but mean totally different things. Are they related? Guy, I did not call anyone names. I merely stated what the chap was. And this was informed by his actions. The old Ugbo people of Ile-Ife and the Nd'Igbo of the South-East do NOT share ancestral links, the same origin or identity, or even similar cultural and anthropological ties. So why should anyone call them, the same set of people?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 2:44pm On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

Igbo is just a word in Yoruba with different intonation. If you speak a Kwa language, then you know how different intonation can affect or drastically change the meaning of a word. Ndi Igbo people(Eastern Nigerians) in Yoruba are referred to as ígbò or íbò, which is different from igbó (forest) and the Ìgbó in Ìgbómìnà (Yoruba subgroup). They don't have the same intonation, so they are not the same in meaning.

Olukumi doesn't mean companion or friend. But “to be added unto ",it has “OLU" in it and it is strictly for lineage of KINGS in the olden days. You need to get acquainted with Yoruba names bore by different categories of ancient Yorubas. And also names given at birth as well other situation in ancient Yoruba land.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
Olukumi doesn't mean companion or friend. But “to be added unto ",it has “OLU" in it and it is strictly for lineage of KINGS in the olden days. You need to get acquainted with Yoruba names bore by different categories of ancient Yorubas. And also names given at birth as well other situation in ancient Yoruba land.

Olukumi has its own meaning in Igbo language. Even the Igbo meaning of Ugbo is farm. Farmwork in Igbo land is called Olu Ugbo (ask anyone). If anyone has facts to dispute the inherent closeness of Igbo and Yoruba that stretches into history, let him post it here.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 3:12pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:

Oluku means friend in the Eastern Yoruba dialects (Owo-Ekiti-Ijesa area). Oluku mi is my friend.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 3:12pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:

Olukumi has its own meaning in Igbo language. Even the Igbo meaning of Ugbo is farm. Farmwork in Igbo land is called Olu Ugbo (ask anyone). If anyone has facts to dispute the inherent closeness of Igbo and Yoruba that stretches into history, let him post it here.

What does Olukumi mean in Igbo language?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:

What does Olukumi mean in Igbo language?
O lukwu mu.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by RedboneSmith(m): 3:19pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:

O lukwu mu.

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 3:37pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
Yes in a deeper sense.
I just gave a simpler explanation of the meaning. Regardless it has a meaning in Yoruba, which was my point all along.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 3:39pm On May 17, 2017
igbodefender:

O lukwu mu.
what's the English translation?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by 9jakool: 3:42pm On May 17, 2017
laudate:

No matter how hard you try to explain, they will never understand.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 17, 2017
9jakool:

what's the English translation?
It is a phrase within a sentence that has great import. I spent my resources getting the particular meaning, so I don't want to give it out just like that. To get it, research the Deep Web. You may be in luck if you use Google, though.

However, if you want to get the meaning of O lukwu mu, ask any Igbo around you, and they will tell you. That would be half the knowledge.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Olu317(m): 4:09pm On May 17, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Oluku means friend in the Eastern Yoruba dialects (Owo-Ekiti-Ijesa area). Oluku mi is my friend.
My dear, Oluku mi, possibly mean friend in part of the places you mentioned though “OLU" have different meanings,depending on the mark of accent. There is also, OLU likened to mushroom, especially the ones been poison-less eaten by Yorubas. However, a settlement coined and called Olukumi doesn't mean “friend" because Yoruba named most settlement after the situation, Noble lineage, Chiefly , or leader of such settlement especially if he is linked to kingly blood. This is because, people do venture into different settlement for subjugation purposes and once the name of such place is mentioned with nobility, the place will be sheltered from being invaded from Yoruba Soldiers on espionage or expeditions . It is important to note that the meaning of the settlement of Yoruba people in anioma axis of Delta state can't be friend. I will advice you to read more about Olukumi/Olukunmi (the later is supposed to be right pronunciation). The Anioma people usually refer to them Olukwumi or something close to it. The “Kwu" Sound exactly “Kun" in Yoruba. Don't forget the fact that even OGBORU of Delta is a descendant of Odua from LAJAMASIN (daughter ) . So, that axis had Yoruba noble lineage lived there at one time or the other. The Civil war in BINI around 14th—15th centuries did made some Yoruba settlements move out of BINI to these different locations .
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
My dear, Oluku mi, possibly mean friend but “OLU" have different meanings,depending on the mark of accent.There is also, OLU likened to mushroom, especially the ones been poisonless eaten by Yorubas. However, a settlement coined with called Olukumi can't mean “friend" because Yoruba name most settlement after the leader of such settlement especially if he is linked to kingly blood. This is because, people do venture into different settlement and once the name of such place is mentioned, the place will be sheltered from being invaded from Yoruba Soldiers on espionage. Therefore meaning of the settlement of Yoruba people in anioma axis of Delta state can't be friend. I will advice you to read more about Olukumi/Olukunmi (the later is supposed to be right pronunciation). The Anioma people usually refer to them Olukwumi or something close to it. The “Kwu" Sound exactly “Kun" in Yoruba. Don't forget the fact that even OGBORU of Delta is a descendant of Odua from LAJAMASIN (daughter ) . So, that axis had Yoruba noble lineage lived there at one time or the other. The Civil war in BINI around 14th—15th centuries did made some Yoruba settlements move out of the place of BINI to these different locations .
They are bonafide Igbo aborigines from Ife, not the Ife in Imo State (surprised?), but the Ife in Osun State.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) / The Wife & Daughter Of Ooni Adeyeye Enitan-Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.