Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible (4202 Views)

What Will God Gain By Throwing Sinners In Hell Fire? / Hell Fire, Adam And Eve Are Not Real, Just Fables - Pope Francis. / My Friend Saw Her Late Mother In HELL FIRE :'( :'( (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
spencerwilliams: u hv nt answered my question i said wat wil u say about d book of revelations.

What can I say? Revelation is a integral part of the Bible - presented largely in signs and symbolism to John through an angel. Symbolism can be understood by referring to other Bible texts dealing with the same subject.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
Lordlexyy: Why do you choose to deceive and be deceived? Spirits don't die. The bible clearly stated that hell is prepared for the devil and his demons. If there will be gnashing of teeth, what exactly are you driving at? Why would Jesus use the phrase 'hell' if the instance (btw lazarus and the rich man) according to you was to warn the pharases? Logically, if there isn't hell but total annihilation as most of you opined, would there be need for accountability or morality? Would there be need for judgement? Would there be need keeping the devil up till this moment, to do what?

The devil and his demons stay alive to prove their case conclusively, the issue Satan and rebellious man raised in Eden - that God lied to Adam/Eve, that humans are better off not obeying God. God is not keeping them to derive some sadistic pleasure in seeing them suffer eternally - that's plain sick.

Once God deems it's time - Satan, his demons, rebel humans will be eliminated for good - as if by fire. This final destruction is called Second Death. Don't forget also to be eliminated is death itself (Revelation 20).

For now Satan and his followers bring reproach to God with lies about the person of God, and by their choice of actions. We can choose God's side.

Proverbs 27:11 - "Be wise, my son, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him who reproaches me".

Those who stay unrepentant on Satan's side will be destroyed/cut off (Psalm 37:9) - cease to exist.

For those who stay morally upright and choose God's side, they get rewarded with eternal life in a new world -

Rev 21: 4 - "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away".

Death is the judgement, the penalty, true punishment for sin. We are still accountable.

Death (lifelessness) is the ultimate punishment, even today - it's an "enemy" ("The last enemy to be destroyed is death" - 1 Corinthians 15:26).

It's what God told Adam would be his lot if he sins. Death is the only just punishment for sin - prior to sinning we were lifeless - as opposed to the wonderful gift of eternal life.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Rosieflower(f): 12:36am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy: Those who do not believe in the concept of hell. You will have a lot of work to do to explain the very clear teaching of Christ, the writings of Paul and Peter, and what is in the book of Revelations. There are too many scriptures to count that speak clearly on this matter. I am quite interested in your interpretation of them.

Hell is not a reprehensible concept. The bible makes it clear that it was a place prepared for the devil and his angels. But man's choice will take him there if he rejects Christ.

I am interested in your interpretation of the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man that Jesus spoke.
D story of d rich man nd Lazarus is a parable nt literal

1 Like

Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 12:37am On Nov 26, 2013
[quote author=Lordlexyy] Why do you choose to deceive and be deceived? Spirits don't die. The bible clearly stated that hell is prepared for the devil and his demons.

- So how come the devil is not in hell which was prepared for him and his angels, instead he is roaming about causing mayhem and strangely enough man for whom this place was not created is already there in torment and that before judgement

- So a man who stole a pen 5 thousand years ago is still in this place of torment , while Stalin who wiped out millions has been in hell for less than 100 years

- So Adam and Eve are in Hell now , even though God never mentioned this as a consequence of their sin before and after ?

- So when Solomon said in proverbs that people die and their thoughts perish with them, you counter this by saying they are still thinking ?

- You make a total nonsense of the resurrection and judgement and turn it into a situation of utter mayhem because in your theology sinners and the righteous have been judged and received their reward

- You call Jesus a liar when he said he will die and rise up again because he never really died, he was half dead etc.

Mate, the doctrine of hell is a doctrine of demons and one of the myths/fables Paul talked about.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Oduduwaboy(m): 2:23am On Nov 26, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Correction ! Agnostic ATHEIST. This pretense that agnostic is somehow seperatw from atheism pisses me off, besides many atheist don't entirely conclude there is no God.

Well am aware of the many terminologies for those of us who have chosen to give reason a place of primacy .....but i love to keep things simple.

Agnosticism to me for now seems to be scientifically acceptable option ; daily occurences point to the fact of an impersonal universe but at the same time am yet to have a final mathematical evidence that there is no god .....though am almost sure the xtian or Islam God does not exist .
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Oduduwaboy(m): 2:32am On Nov 26, 2013
Rosieflower: D story of d rich man nd Lazarus is a
parable nt literal

Abi o. so i was taught in Sunday school those days . But i realized the Pentecostal leaders started re-writing the bible when they started talking of different versions and translations in other to prove points that suit their selfish purposes via tenuous and abstruse arguements and illogics .
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Oduduwaboy(m): 2:41am On Nov 26, 2013
[quote author=frosbel][/quote]

there are too many irrationalities in religion . Too many questions they will ask us to leave to God . .....if God didnt want us to reason why give us a big,big mammals brain as opposed to the tiny primitive brain of amphibians like the toad's ...
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 26, 2013
Oduduwaboy:

Abi o. so i was taught in Sunday school those days . But i realized the Pentecostal leaders started re-writing the bible when they started talking of different versions and translations in other to prove points that suit their selfish purposes via tenuous and abstruse arguements and illogics .

An old translation, perhaps in archaic English is no authoritative Bible - no such thing.

The Bible was originally not in English, but in Hebrew, Greek and small part in Aramaic, so it always had to be translated to be accessible to all. As with translations, they might be some nuances in meaning between translations - that means comparing multiple translations and in some cases looking at a transliteration of the original language source could lead to better and deeper understanding.

Additionally, as older and older bible manuscripts are found, it may be necessary to revise a translation, though in most cases the points in question have little bearing on the overall sense of the message conveyed, but can add depth. Also, English (like all languages) changed over the centuries, so revised translations in modern/current English become necessary to ease understanding.

1 Like

Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 9:02am On Nov 26, 2013
Rosieflower: D story of d rich man nd Lazarus is a parable nt literal

The issue is whether Jesus spoke of Hell as a real place. If Hell is symbolic in the parable and death represents the ultimate finality, how does the dialog happen between Lazarus and the Rich Man?

If the dead know nothing and they simply vanish then there is no reason to accept Christ. After all, if you simply cease to be, what does it matter? It's all the same to you whether some people are experiencing eternal bliss or not.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

The issue is whether Jesus spoke of Hell as a real place. If Hell is symbolic in the parable and death represents the ultimate finality, how does the dialog happen between Lazarus and the Rich Man?

If the dead know nothing and they simply vanish then there is no reason to accept Christ. After all, if you simply cease to be, what does it matter? It's all the same to you whether some people are experiencing eternal bliss or not.

You will simply cease to exist if you die - fact. Same as Adam is no more, just as God said.

Why does it then matter?

Because life, even when difficult like now, is desirable. And the future life would be wonderful. Why would a sensible person want to cease to exist, when he can live in a world where "there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain"? ( Rev 21:4). With all the secrets of the universe to learn and unlock - which is enough job to do eternally, with the company of like minded friends, and not forgetting good food and delicious wines.

I don't know about you, but I ( and many millions/billions I believe) love life and want to keep having it.

The lie of hellfire hasn't made people to turn good - just drives reasonable people from God and serves Satan's purpose - the father of the lie.

1 Like

Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 9:39am On Nov 26, 2013
TroGunn:

You will simply cease to exist if you die - fact. Same as Adam is no more, just as God said.

Why does it then matter?

Because life, even when difficult like now, is desirable. And the future life would be wonderful. Why would a sensible person want to cease to exist, when he can live in a world where "there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain"? ( Rev 21:4). With all the secrets of the universe to learn and unlock - which is enough job to do eternally, with the company of like minded friends, and not forgetting good food and delicious wines.

I don't know about you, but I ( and many millions/billions I believe) love life and want to keep having it.

The lie of hellfire hasn't made people to turn good - just drives reasonable people from God and serves Satan's purpose - the father of the lie.

The purpose of hellfire isn't to intimidate people into accepting Christ. That is a misconception. Personally, I didn't accept Christ because I didn't want to go Hell. One comes to Christ by recognizing one's sin and repenting. That is for another thread though.

Can you not see that it makes no difference whether you accept Christ or not if the result is simply ceasing to be. What reason does a person who doesn't believe in heaven, or having questions answered care about spending an eternity with Jesus. There are many atheists that have stated their desire for what you are saying. Can I just vanish? The reason they desire it is because they realize that if it is a viable option, there is really no consequence for rejecting Christ.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Lordlexyy: 9:45am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

Thanks bro. It reminds me of Christ's transfiguration at the garden where He met both Moses and Elijah. Maybe that also could be sympolic or proverbial as our friends wanted us to believe that once dead everything ceased to exist.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

I cannot believe your sadistic statement above.

You are not satisfied that God may reward you with eternal life, he must also punish humanity and possibly some of the relatives you know for endless ages in a furnace of fire.

I can assure you that this dark dogma of the apostate catholic church has nothing to do with the God of the bible.

If you keep preaching it , you will surely end up with either false converts (which seems to be the case in about 80% of Nigerian churches ) or a heap of backsliders.

Ignorance is not an excuse, learn !

smiley

1 Like

Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 26, 2013
Lordlexyy: Thanks bro. It reminds me of Christ's transfiguration at the garden where He met both Moses and Elijah. Maybe that also could be sympolic or proverbial as our friends wanted us to believe that once dead everything ceased to exist.

learn !

It was a vision.

"And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.”" - Matthew 17:9
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

The purpose of hellfire isn't to intimidate people into accepting Christ. That is a misconception. Personally, I didn't accept Christ because I didn't want to go Hell. One comes to Christ by recognizing one's sin and repenting. That is for another thread though.

Can you not see that it makes no difference whether you accept Christ or not if the result is simply ceasing to be. What reason does a person who doesn't believe in heaven, or having questions answered care about spending an eternity with Jesus. There are many atheists that have stated their desire for what you are saying. Can I just vanish? The reason they desire it is because they realize that if it is a viable option, there is really no consequence for rejecting Christ.

Pls reread my post - it makes a great difference if one follows Christ. You get to live endlessly in a wonderful world.

Those who deliberately and knowingly reject Christ and God will get their just reward - death/destruction/cut-off (lifelessness).

Burning people eternally in a fire for fun is something God said did not enter his mind:

Jeremiah 19:5 - "They have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as offerings to Baal--something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter my mind".

If it did not enter God's mind at this time to burn people for fun, one wonders when it did and why. Truth is, it's still not on God's mind.

Eternal torment is pure sadism - simple, and it finds no support in the Bible.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 11:47am On Nov 26, 2013
frosbel:

I cannot believe your sadistic statement above.

You are not satisfied that God may reward you with eternal life, he must also punish humanity and possibly some of the relatives you know for endless ages in a furnace of fire.

I can assure you that this dark dogma of the apostate catholic church has nothing to do with the God of the bible.

If you keep preaching it , you will surely end up with either false converts (which seems to be the case in about 80% of Nigerian churches ) or a heap of backsliders.

Ignorance is not an excuse, learn !

smiley

It's not about being sadistic. What joy do I derive from people going to Hell? But it's not about me, it's about Christ. It's about His return to judge the world. It is pretty clear that there will be punishment. It won't be just "Ok just disappear." If that was the case, what is the purpose of judgement. When they die, they should just stay dead.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:47am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

The purpose of hellfire isn't to intimidate people into accepting Christ. That is a misconception. Personally, I didn't accept Christ because I didn't want to go Hell. One comes to Christ by recognizing one's sin and repenting. That is
person who doesn't believe in heen, or having questions answered care about spending an eternity with Jesus. There are many atheists that have stated their desire for what you are saying. Can I just vanish? The reason they desire it is because they realize that if it is a viable option, there is really no

na wa o. must God punish people by all means !

consequence for rejecting Christ.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

It's not about being sadistic. What joy do I derive from people going to Hell? But it's not about me, it's about Christ. It's about His return to judge the world. It is pretty clear that there will be punishment. It won't be just "Ok just disappear." If that was the case, what is the purpose of judgement. When they die, they should just stay dead.

But Christ never spoke of everlasting burning for anybody, so where did you get this doctrine from ? Catholic Church ?
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 11:56am On Nov 26, 2013
TroGunn:

Pls reread my post - it makes a great difference if one follows Christ. You get to live endlessly in a wonderful world.

Those who deliberately and knowingly reject Christ and God will get their just reward - death/destruction/cut-off (lifelessness).

Burning people eternally in a fire for fun is something God said did not enter his mind:

Jeremiah 19:5 - "They have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as offerings to Baal--something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter my mind".

If it did not enter God's mind at this time to burn people for fun, one wonders when it did and why. Truth is, it's still not on God's mind.

Eternal torment is pure sadism - simple, and it finds no support in the Bible.

You're using that scripture out of context. That is referring to human sacrifice not judgment of the unrighteous.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 11:59am On Nov 26, 2013
frosbel:

But Christ never spoke of everlasting burning for anybody, so where did you get this doctrine from ? Catholic Church ?

He did in the Book of Revelations. By rejecting Hell, then you must ask what is the purpose of judgement after death. Why doesn't God just let them stay dead? This isn't something you can answer without making all kinds of assumptions and rationalizing.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

You're using that scripture out of context. That is referring to human sacrifice not judgment of the unrighteous.

Of course, it was referring to burning of people for religious reasons - same as hellfire story. Point is that God has no delight in such - never did.

NativeBoy:

He did in the Book of Revelations. By rejecting Hell, then you must ask what is the purpose of judgement after death. Why doesn't God just let them stay dead? This isn't something you can answer without making all kinds of assumptions and rationalizing.

Revelation is written in symbolism and requires referring to other Bible texts dealing with the same subject to understand clearly. What is in Revelation does not contradict other parts of the Bible.

God has already said that that death is punishment for sin.

Romans 6:23 -- "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord".

Romans 6:7 -- "because anyone who has died has been freed from sin".

Therefore any instances of people being spoken of being judged after death are of those being resurrected, given a chance to know God and then being judged based on their life and choices after their resurrection. Now, if they are found wanting still, they undergo the 2nd death (symbolized by "lake of fire" ) - of which there's no more chance of resurrection/coming back.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 3:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
Joshthefirst:
But Hell is very real. If there's no hell, then there's no heaven. Why should there be an eternal perfect and righteous place such as heaven then?

@Joshthefirst

As in hell fire you mean ?
I need scriptural evidence for those ^ on red.
Thank you
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

He did in the Book of Revelations. By rejecting Hell, then you must ask [b]what is the purpose of judgement after deat[/b]h. Why doesn't God just let them stay dead? This isn't something you can answer without making all kinds of assumptions and rationalizing.

For justice !

smiley
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2013
Joshthefirst: will they cease to exist? As in disappear?

So, the wages of sin is no longer death, but everlasting life with torment abi ?

Na wa for you people o.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy: It should be stated clearly though that the final destination for all those who did not receive Christ is the lake of fire, the second death. Oftentimes this is spoken synonymously with hell but they are separate things. Hell (Sheol in the OT and Hades in the NT) is not permanent, the lake of fire is (the second death) is.

Can you show to me how the lake of fire is a perment place of torment ?
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bidam: This topic has long been thrashed on this forum.The JW have their own definition contrary to clear teachings from scriptures about Hell.

The truth is Hell is real and Heaven is real. The story of lazarus and the rich man is not a parable but a certainty.

Encircling religious spirits will claim that we are holding onto traditions and doctrines of old, but thats a demonic lie from the pit of hell itself.

satan knows that if he can bring more confusion on this matter,he will have more converts who are comfortable with living a life of illusion.

satan himself is defiled and he seeks to defile everything that he touches,especially ignorant folks who interpret scripture with human standards and understanding rather than by the Holy Spirit.

satan is indeed a speaking and arrogant spirit,you can see so many cults all over the place claiming they understood the hell doctrine using their rational thinking,reason and human efforts and not with the Help of the Holy Spirit.

For you, hellfire threat is good for tithing business.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:25pm On Nov 26, 2013
Bidam: using your twisted logic why would satan be the author and finisher of hell?Hell was prepared for satan and his angels according to scripture. A kingdom divided against itself comes to nothing. Keep deceiving and being deceived.

But your hellfire teaching makes people to hate Yahweh(a God that you said will for all eternity torment humans whose sins is as a result of Adam's failing), does that not serve the purpose of satan
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:31pm On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

Please point to where that is in the
Bible? Where satan will cast people into hell?

But satan is the source of the propaganda naw ?
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:42pm On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy:

Actually there are elements in the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man that show that it is provable not a parable. But that can be debated and it isn't the issue at hand. The point is that whether it is a parable or not, if Hell didn't exist, then what was Jesus talking about? If all that awaits is death then how is all the dialogue between Lazarus and the rich man happening? Then what is Abraham's bosom? What is the parable about then? What is "permanent removal"?

You see that in denying Hell, you create a lot more questions for which answers must now be invented.

No! It is you that have the problem for saying it is not a parable.

How can you say that Abraham was literally in heaven when Jesus christ said no man has ascended to heaven befor ?

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." (John 3:13).

So, you are wrong man, it was a parable and thats that.

If you dont know what that parable means, say so.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by truthislight: 4:44pm On Nov 26, 2013
NativeBoy: Or this?
So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 13:49, 50 NKJV)

If the dead feel nothing. Who will be wailing and gnashing their teeth?

Fire in the bible is a symbol of permanent distruction.
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 4:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
truthislight:

Can you show to me how the lake of fire is a perment place of torment ?

The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Revelation 20:10 NKJV)
Re: Hell Fire: The Most Repulsive Concept In The Bible by NativeBoy: 4:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
truthislight:

No! It is you that have the problem for saying it is not a parable.

How can you say that Abraham was literally in heaven when Jesus christ said no man has ascended to heaven befor ?

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." (John 3:13).

So, you are wrong man, it was a parable and thats that.

If you dont know what that parable means, say so.

I said none of what you are alleging that I did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How I Was Healed Of Shortsightedness By God / Where Was God??? / The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.