Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,632 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State (24650 Views)

Misconception In Islam: Alcohol Is Forbidden In All Forms / Minor Could Be A Bride Stop The Fuse And Get Educated-muslim's View On Underage / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by 5thNOTE: 10:32pm On Dec 04, 2013
If nt for dereliction of our rulers and D rules, is there suppose to be anything like Sharia? In a democracy, which is the reason for nigeria, it neither an Islamic State or a Christain state. Is simply respect all religion that are nt a threat to public peace and coexistence. No single religion can declare it laws as such place is under D territory that declares demorcracy. U are free to choose ur religion and it must be subject to D upper law of democracy.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 04, 2013
Baby mama:

Look at the migration
How many Muslims are migrating to non Muslim lands compared to Christians and non Christians migrating to Muslim lands?
What is chasing them away from sharia lands?
That ought to give you a clue bro

Let's make it simpler sef

Which Muslim on this forum will get a green card lottery to America and pass it up for a chance to live in Pakistan,Afghanistan ,Syria or Saudi with full fledged sharia?
Let him raise his hand let me see
Hehehehehe
you are derailing the thread but Just to ask q question; do americans really care about religion?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 04, 2013
@ OP At the end of your "view" i was expecting to see hadiths and Qur'anic verses to support your "view". The only reason this thread is very alive on fp is because you are d MOD.

2 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
madam OP nigeria has NEVER BEEN A SECULAR STATE AND IT WILL NEVER BE. I cant still believe a muslim wrote this, with what is happening in nigeria.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 04, 2013
amiskurie:
u are nt a true muslim.u are just an extremist.

he loves his religion dearly
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by mshd5: 10:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
@Beta Things, u ar saying d true. Islam is a religion of peace 4 those who undstnd n practice d correct n its real teaching.

3 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 04, 2013
BetaThings:

Actually what you think does not matter in the LEAST. It does not matter either way. I mean this ABSOLUTELY
You have never commended anyone unless he/she is critical of Islam
Anyway Muslims will not compromise - NO to f.a.g.g.ot.ry

ABEG TELL HIM. NO COMPROMISE IN ISLAM
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 04, 2013
I think we have to be careful in commenting on issues like this. It is totally misleading to compare banning alcohol in kano to banning athan in south-east, while scientific facts have established the deleterious effects of alcohol on ones health i am yet to come across any research that established same effects from athan, in any case athan is a religious ritual but i doubt if alcohol has the same place in christianity as athan has in islam.
Now to the main issue, kano state government banned consumption and sale of alcohol in the state and in doing so did not infringed on any individual's fundamental rights as enshrined by nigerian constitution. The destruction of bottles of alcohol referred to is primarily those intercepted by Hisbah as the dealers make their way in to the city from southern parts of the country. I NEVER heard of hisbah raiding any bar for the purpose of DESTROYING bottles of alcohol.

2 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
tiarabubu:

Unfortunately, you are not a very good debater that is why I seldom reply you. In your haste to reply you very easily lose context, focus and synergy. I will make an exception today and give a short reply for the sake of your minions. And by the way, the answer to Muslim's missteps is not "Non-Muslims did it too" or "Non-Muslims caused it".

Unfortunately, comparing the biased action of a University with that of a whole State like kano confirms your lack of ability to balance an argument. Unfortunately for you, what you are saying this has been a reoccuring complaint of the Non-Muslim community in places like UDU and even KSU. It is no qualms for Kastina state to build 34 of Mosques with government funds (over a quarter of a billion naira) while some of its citizens are non-muslims and it has more pressing socioeconomic problems! But I let it be so you go figure.

The resistance to Islamic banking was about the CBN using government money to promote a bank that is based on religion. This was the reason for the opposition - e.g. setting up of "expert Council" within the CBN made up of Islamic Scholars, using CBN money to promote the bank etc. That was CAN's official position. Of course, others misunderstood, misinterpreted and of course even some Christians misunderstood CAN's official position. CAN's position carried the day as CBN allowed private individuals to fund the bank and did not carry out that misstep of using government money to spend on a religious based bank. And crucially, there were no burning of mosques and murders etc during the Islamic banking debate.

As per your opposition to drinking, thats your problem. As bad as it is, as long as it is not illegal, you can only persuade people through education and reason not some brute force 16 century style of coercion.

As per people not covering up... What is your idea of covering up? If a lady dresses normally and decently and you are still hot under the collar because of exposed hair or face, check yourself. Its your twisted perverted mind that is the problem and not the girl.

As per the Christmas tree, you are joking right? When Muslims were at the helm and bought hundreds of goats and distributed during sallah at the government expense, who complained? Did you know the Minister of FCT and almost all northern governors distributed rams with government money too? Who protested? I was in Nigeria during the last Sallah and many major intersections in Abuja had large signboards proclaiming Sallah greetings from the MFCT, who protested? In fact I will stop here before I unwittingly become guilty of what I am accusing you of.

Just know that Kano was wrong in that action, pure and simple. That action should be judged for what it is . Claiming non-muslims "actions" as the basis for the action is sooooo lame.

and also making us waste our time reading your jargons in the name of english is too lame
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Mujah1deen: 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2013
amiskurie:
so I'm an extremist for practicing my religion and supporting the governor?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Mujah1deen: 11:03pm On Dec 04, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

If you weren't in support of it, I would have been shocked
did I hear you shouting

Allahu Akbar?
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Mujah1deen: 11:05pm On Dec 04, 2013
amiskurie:

https://www.nairaland.com/1535969/christians-please#19872129

^ my Christian brothers this thread above is for you
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by diarra94(m): 11:29pm On Dec 04, 2013
LagosShia: i think the OP might have a point.if the alcohol was seized in muslim area of the state,then the government is right.in a country like Nigeria (even if the state be majority Muslim),we should be sensitive to feelings and beliefs of others,and be tolerant to them.the Christians should know how not to violate the rights and feelings of muslims,and the muslims too should be tolerant where they are a majority.the same should apply if the case is the other way round.

the government can do itself good in kano by issuing out licenses to stores. The license can act as permission to sell alcohol in certain locations in the state where Christians reside or visit for leisure. I think even in western countries stores do acquire licenses to make sure that alcohol is not sold to underage individuals. This license can serve in northern Nigeria as a way to hold accountable the people permitted in trading alcohol to non-Muslims. Those without license cannot trade alcohol,and those with license can only trade alcohol where permitted. Anything outside this amounts to breaking the law and offending Muslims.

indeed the sharia law is not meant for non-muslims to observe it or for it to be applied on them.sharia law is meant only for muslims to observe and apply, and for muslims to be punished for not observing it.you don't have to frown or feel offended if non-muslims is drinking alcohol where permitted even if the place be majority muslim.let them be.i personally do hate alcohol with a passion,and I don't sit around people drinking it when I can take my leave.so we need to offend no one or confront them because of our own laws,especially when there are too many options for us to still observe and protect our beliefs and at the same time showing tolerance.
no more no less. first time you said something thoughtful and unbiased
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by sueto471: 11:31pm On Dec 04, 2013
BetaThings:

Really?
Please can you quote where you did this type of analysis when Muslims were (and still are) precluded from building a mosque in Rivers State University while the authorities of same University built several churches for Christians
They have even ignored court judgment
Sorry, Christianity CANNOT be an intolerant religion! Only Islam is

But Christians mounted a sustained campaign against Islamic Banking in this "free" country!
I can even be an unwitting victim of the reckless driving by an inebriated motorist.
So outside religion, some people in free countries frown at alcohol because it can fuel violence or accidents
I am scratching my head how Islamic Bank to be funded by private money (just like GT, First, Zenith and other banks) will affect anyone to justify the opposition by Christians
I am sorry, I missed the memo, Christianity CANNOT be an intolerant religion

Here we go. Christians have been fighting against Hijab for ever. What harm it does to them, I cannot fathom
They cane Muslim pupils in PUBLIC schools. When a newspaper reported that Lagos state had banned the Hijab, Christians were agog online
Sorry, I forgot that Christianity CANNOT be an intolerant religion

I have not seen Muslims take a position on a matter that will make Christians commit any sin. None
Christians want Muslims to deal in Riba (a sin) by using conventional banks
Christians want Muslims ladies to expose part of their bodies that Allah require them to cover (a sin)
The FG spending public money put up a national christmas tree in Abuja and ensured members of diplomatic corps were present
This army that would have been screaming against Hijab ban did you seen them? - please can you show me Muslims protesting?
But Islam is intolerant!

Let me ask: what would have been the reaction of CAN if it were a national Eid-el-Mawlid tree?

Hijab is a religious obligation and is compulsory everytime a Muslim lady is outdoors (it is not required at home)
Just like normal societies don't ask people to go out in the nude and take their baths at home with their clothes on
Banning alcohol is not an attack on any religion - it is not a religious duty - we should not mix dissimilar issues

BTW If people want to get drunk, they should be free to provided they don't run me over
However even Guinness recommends people start drinking as from 6pm

As for VAT, I support isolating VAT income from non-halal sources
Allah is sufficient for those who place their trust in him. Muslims should not eat from haram sources
It seems u traveled during sala, u would ve known that eid el trees an
d light were put on the streets of Abuja or u decided to ignore it. Anyways, get ur facts right b4 typing ur religious sentiments. God bless d ops.....
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by Sircj(m): 11:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
BetaThings:

Really?
Please can you quote where you did this type of analysis when Muslims were (and still are) precluded from building a mosque in Rivers State University while the authorities of same University built several churches for Christians
They have even ignored court judgment
Sorry, Christianity CANNOT be an intolerant religion! Only Islam is

But Christians mounted a sustained campaign against Islamic Banking in this "free" country!
I can even be an unwitting victim of the reckless driving by an inebriated motorist.
So outside religion, some people in free countries frown at alcohol because it can fuel violence or accidents
I am scratching my head how Islamic Bank to be funded by private money (just like GT, First, Zenith and other banks) will affect anyone to justify the opposition by Christians
I am sorry, I missed the memo, Christianity CANNOT be an intolerant religion

Here we go. Christians have been fighting against Hijab for ever. What harm it does to them, I cannot fathom
They cane Muslim pupils in PUBLIC schools. When a newspaper reported that Lagos state had banned the Hijab, Christians were agog online
Sorry, I forgot that Christianity CANNOT be an intolerant religion

I have not seen Muslims take a position on a matter that will make Christians commit any sin. None
Christians want Muslims to deal in Riba (a sin) by using conventional banks
Christians want Muslims ladies to expose part of their bodies that Allah require them to cover (a sin)
The FG spending public money put up a national christmas tree in Abuja and ensured members of diplomatic corps were present
This army that would have been screaming against Hijab ban did you seen them? - please can you show me Muslims protesting?
But Islam is intolerant!

Let me ask: what would have been the reaction of CAN if it were a national Eid-el-Mawlid tree?

Hijab is a religious obligation and is compulsory everytime a Muslim lady is outdoors (it is not required at home)
Just like normal societies don't ask people to go out in the nude and take their baths at home with their clothes on
Banning alcohol is not an attack on any religion - it is not a religious duty - we should not mix dissimilar issues

BTW If people want to get drunk, they should be free to provided they don't run me over
However even Guinness recommends people start drinking as from 6pm

As for VAT, I support isolating VAT income from non-halal sources
Allah is sufficient for those who place their trust in him. Muslims should not eat from haram sources

Banning alcohol is not an attack on any
religion - it is not a religious duty - we
should not mix dissimilar issues

U r very economical wit d truth.very sad. What is secular state??
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by 3nairalandcom: 11:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
As a cult I just deem it fit to comment here.Actually no aspect of morality encourage taken or consumption of alcohol,even in my cult we are warn never to take intoxicant while on ritual or sacrifies because it is unacceptable as far as we are concern.So also in the bible.By Kano State barning alcohol I think it is not only doing Islam good but to all other morality institution in my country,and if the whole state will adopt the system I assure you of high less of road accident,lets not be prejudice.
K.illuminate
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by simiolu1(m): 12:21am On Dec 05, 2013
baba11: A n gba adie lowo iku,o ni ki won je ki oun lo si aki tan lo o je meaning we are refraining a chicken from death and it said they should allow her to go to dump site to eat - Yoruba proverb.In this state,i don't think anybody is above the law as it's enshrined in the constitution(shari'ah),so they should all abide by it.Secondly,what do you want to gain with the consumption of alcohol,nothing except to show 'class'.In the long run,it has serious adverse effects like kidney failure.If govt did not banned and destroyed it,i don't think anybody in his/her right sense should go near it.If it's good for your health,why the partial ban - DRINK RESPONSIBLY!!!#bewiseall.

Like seriously SMH cos U have a totally screwed up idea of what human rights are! Lest I forget, ur second point implies that ALL who consume alcohol aren't in their right minds.
The issue is a constitutional one: Did d Gov break ANY Nigerian law in destroying those alcoholic drinks? Not a RELIGIOUS or MORAL debate.
This isn't a Christian vs Muslim thing mind U. Cos Christianity DOESN'T support consumption of alcohol too.
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by salykely(m): 12:30am On Dec 05, 2013
Baby mama:

Look at the migration
How many Muslims are migrating to non Muslim lands compared to Christians and non Christians migrating to Muslim lands?
What is chasing them away from sharia lands?
That ought to give you a clue bro

Let's make it simpler sef

Which Muslim on this forum will get a green card lottery to America and pass it up for a chance to live in Pakistan,Afghanistan ,Syria or Saudi with full fledged sharia?
Let him raise his hand let me see
Hehehehehe

Ok may I ask, if u are given a green card to dubia abu dabi would u give it up to live in liberia or zimbabwe or sierra leone. Honesly I would prefer qatar to living in USA

2 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by simiolu1(m): 12:34am On Dec 05, 2013
abdulmujib salv: what religion even endorse alcohol,shame on such religion,who told you alcoholism is human right,so prostitution sud be human right too,anyway some people are clamouring for homosexuality,how much more alcohol,shame on all of you,any state,entity or individual that support alcoholism sud know that he has supportted thuggery,robbery,prostitution,kidnapping,corruption,abortion,any vices,name it. I LOVE MY DEEN.

There is a difference between consuming alcohol and being an alcoholic! Mind U, alcohol is sometimes prescribed for some ailments.
Finally, ALL men are created equal! So every1 has a right to choose wat he or she believes. And U're even talking in d context of religion; did U pause to think about people who choose to believe that there is no God?
Yes, we should uphold morals but at the perils of the fundamental human rights of Nigerians in the Nigerian Constitution? Nay!
Believe what U want as a Muslim. Let the Xtian, Buddist, Judaist, Atheist, Traditionalist etc believe whatever they want too; but LET all be equal before the LAWS of the land!
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by muktarmtt(m): 12:40am On Dec 05, 2013
Phder: It's wrong to infringe on human rights. Why would non-muslims be forced to obey the Muslim law? The said state is under the law of the federal republic, which means the federal law (which allows citizens to exercise their right) comes first before the state law.

Great article @ OP, I hope NGO's and other concerned body would fight against this recent move. Thanks for sharing.
we don't force anybody and even in christernity taken alcohol is taboo is not allwd in d bible so y u dey vex if u rily answer ur name a Christian or may u r just a hypocrite. mtsw

2 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by salykely(m): 12:52am On Dec 05, 2013
5thNOTE: If nt for dereliction of our rulers and D rules, is there suppose to be anything like Sharia? In a democracy, which is the reason for nigeria, it neither an Islamic State or a Christain state. Is simply respect all religion that are nt a threat to public peace and coexistence. No single religion can declare it laws as such place is under D territory that declares demorcracy. U are free to choose ur religion and it must be subject to D upper law of democracy.

The definition of democracy empowers the majority to make laws that would govern them. This is protected by section 4 (7)a b c. So if the majority of kano people as represented in the state house decide to ban alcohol because of it ill effect, so what undemocratic about that?

1 Like

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by olas79(m): 1:04am On Dec 05, 2013
alpha conde: Any one against alcohol is a bloody hypocrite.
If alcohol is a sin then everything that we do that has one negative effect on our body or the other is a sin. For instance hard labour.
chairman park well ooo!!! na full headlight u dey display instead of brake light. we need learn something good here not just to come pollute this discussion with some "no make sense" argument! guy park well o. how hard labor get related with our class. Big bro if u re just done with some hard labor i think its ahmmm.... its time u get some good rest or see the doctor. don't let me see u here again, only if u have something good to offer. sweet dreams
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by olas79(m): 1:17am On Dec 05, 2013
abbeysteph: Ds guy u b real boko haram n one day american drone wil do justice 2,kip supportn d pple who ar tryn day n nite 2 divide ds country on religious line
Do u really know wat a drone does uhm? Then u re a suspect if u call some one a boko haram, cos only the members know them selves. mind wat u say in here cos u re under watch!
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by trenchcoat: 1:27am On Dec 05, 2013
First and foremost the writer is not a Muslim. He is only speaking of his mind on what he feels should have or shouldn't have. A Muslim does not have a different view in terms of the doctrines of Islam,as Muslims we are guided by the tenets of Islam, going contrary to what Islam says is going out of Islam. Secondly, how could a Muslim be comparing Athan and Alcohol? It is either the person is pained for seeing what he lust for been crushed or is indirectly in support of the consumption of alcohol, I guess he was tipsy when he scribbled this trash. The issue of including Christians does not arise as alcohol consumption is not acceptable in the bible. The writer is the real hypocrite and trying to create confusion between the Muslims and Christians, you call harming yourself with toxins human right? Why cant you follow the rights of Islam and shun your delusional view? Deols what have you achieved in posting such misleading note? You succeeded in showering arguments and insults only few are debating.
Right or no right what do they benefit in taking alcohol....Nothing is the answer, just making a fool of themselves and you call that enjoyment? What a waste of time.

2 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by kabba7(m): 1:47am On Dec 05, 2013
Are the Christian hristians not church goers)here sayingthe bible teaches them to be patronizing alcoholic centres ? What the govt. did is very correct and those who can't do without alcohol has been told to telocate out of the state to places they can swim in beer and ogogoro they were never invited in the first place so their going away will not make any different . Kano people said they don't want alcohol on their land some people are here crying NL as if the world has ended!.
Na so una dey try to force your way of life on others for on their land if Kano tire u pack go your village .

3 Likes

Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by trenchcoat: 1:55am On Dec 05, 2013
kabba7: Are the Christians here saying the bible teaches them to be patronizing alcoholic centres ? What the govt. did is very correct and those who can't do without alcohol has been told to telocate out of the state to places they can swim in beer and ogogoro they were never invited in the first place so their going away will not make any different . Kano people said they don't want alcohol on their land some people are here crying NL as if the world has ended!.
Na so una dey try to force your way of life on others for on their land if Kano tire u pack go your village .

Bros I tire oh, make una leave the state or better still go and die out of the state
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by youngmoney101(m): 2:59am On Dec 05, 2013
Just curious to knw which is beta to be banned... Alcohol dat is more safer than cheap drugs been mostly consumed by mostly 80%youths,(both male and female)..and even married women Muslim populate in kano based on facts Dat I knw..is dis not hypocrisy at its peak to ban alcohol in Muslim areas n yet do nothing about the sales n circulation of cheap drugs dat is rampaging more lifes in kano?to me it's not a matter of sharia it's jst a direct attack on non Muslims..,,cos d r not even observing any sharia law dia..it's jst hypocrisy
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by youngmoney101(m): 3:02am On Dec 05, 2013
[@kabbah7 does the quran teaches you to patronize pharmaceutical stores n chemist to purchase hard drugs like codeine?

Bros I tire oh, make una leave the state or better still go and die out of the state[/quote]
Re: A Muslim's View Of The Ban On Alcohol In Kano State by pauben: 3:51am On Dec 05, 2013
thats whatwe are suffering in Nigeria may God help us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / Devoted Muslims Praying Under The Rain. Photos/Video / Sallah Greetings to all Nairaland Muslim Ummah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.