Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,051 members, 7,814,612 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall (34644 Views)

My Horrible Experience At Murtala Mohammed Airport::::::(see pictures):::::::::: / Expanded Terminal Opens At Murtala Muhammad Airport Lagos(photos) / Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Kairoseki77: 5:42pm On Dec 01, 2013
I have updated my post with pictures of other African airports.

If you cannot explain to me why our airports cannot compare to smaller African nations, please siddon and be quiet.

2 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:
You have a brain. Think!
You chose the countries you want to analyse for resource curse. You say the others are already industrialised or fiefdoms. I laugh.
It is simple. The right things they did to become industrialised before oil is the same thing they are doing and managing their oil resources better.
You couldn't industrialise before oil and still can't manage the oil resources and you call it resource curse
You messed up.
By the way if you believe in resource curse how come you think Nigeria is doing a lot better today compared to the 70s? Nigeria can't be better and still be cursed na?
I too know book but no wan think.
Man you arguments are just baffling. What is this crude oil you keep going on about. It is in fact a raw material that Nigeria sells on the international market to industrialsed countries. Having oil does not in of itself guarantee development or even provide mass employment.
What it does is give the FGN A STEADY stream of revenue - $30 billion - which they can use to provide basic services and maintain infrasructure.
However to get that amount without oil and without indusrialisation would mean either that citizens are taxed to the hilt and that Nigeria would be dependent on foreign aid as are a lot of African countries like Ghana and Kenya.
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Please stop this romanticization of elitism. I prefer we have 135 average unis than 5 or 6 elite unis for pampered elite kids.

Stop speaking grammar.

As we speak it's only in Nigeria that students who should be studying are at home doing nothing.
I'd rather the 'elite' (permit me to borrow from you) unis of the 70s without strike, producing quality graduates than the mess of strike unis we have today.

Average unis indeed.

This Ghanaian higher education system today is reminiscent of Nigeria's in the 70s. Few in number but delivering quality education. Witnessed by the high number of Nigerian patronising Ghanaian higher institutions.

3 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Kairoseki77: 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
Man you arguments are just baffling. What is this crude oil you keep going on about. It is in fact a raw material that Nigeria sells on the international market to industrialsed countries. Having oil does not in of itself guarantee development or even provide mass employment.
What it does is give the FGN A STEADY stream of revenue - $30 billion - which they can use to provide basic services and maintain infrasructure.
However to get that amount without oil and without indusrialisation would mean either that citizens are taxed to the hilt and that Nigeria would be dependent on foreign aid as are a lot of African countries like Ghana and Kenya.

No. It would mean that Nigeria would have to produce goods that are of value to the world.

Basically, we would have to grow a real economy.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:

Your argument is flawed.
Nigeria is not any more developed than Ghana or Kenya. Steady stream of oil income and Nigeria is not any better than the Ghana and Kenya you claim rely on foreign aid. That tells me Nigeria has messed up.
Foreign aid reliance as you claim is not even true by the way. Kenya has tourism and tea while Ghana has gold and shipping

2 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 01, 2013
Kairoseki77:

No. It would mean that Nigeria would have to produce goods that are of value to the world.

Basically, we would have to grow a real economy.
And how exactly would you do that? Fine the government would have to invest massively in technical and scientific education, the population would have to be kept in check and whilst this is taking place the the government and the people would have to eliminate conspicuous consumption, corruption ,waste and inefficiency
Finally there would have to be an entrepreneurial class that would be able to take advantage of this this cadre of trained engineers and scientists when they come to the labour market by producing goods and services for the EXPORT MARKET
That is how the Asian Tigers Developed. That is how the Chinese developed.
Any alternative model you have is just living in cloud cuckoo land to be honest.
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

Stop speaking grammar.

As we speak it's only in Nigeria that students who should be studying are at home doing nothing.
I'd rather the 'elite' (permit me to borrow from you) unis of the 70s without strike, producing quality graduates than the mess of strike unis we have today.

Average unis indeed.

Lecturers' Strikes are not a uniquely Nigerian phenomenon.

Lecturers Strike, UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10407441/Universities-to-be-hit-by-large-scale-lecturers-strike.html

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/university-huddersfield-kirklees-college-hit-6356200

Lecturers Strike, Kenya
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/154468.article

Lecturers' strike India
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/guest-lecturers-to-launch-indefinite-strike/article5356741.ece

http://zeenews.india.com/news/maharashtra/maha-gives-ultimatum-to-striking-lecturers_774400.html
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

Your argument is flawed.
Nigeria is not any more developed than Ghana or Kenya. Steady stream of oil income and Nigeria is not any better than the Ghana and Kenya you claim rely on foreign aid. That tells me Nigeria has messed up.
Foreign aid reliance as you claim is not even true by the way. Kenya has tourism and tea while Ghana has gold and shipping
Man you need to end these arguments because you don't know what you're talking about.
So gold and shipping is a sign of development
And since when did Tourism become a yardstick for industrial development.
I referenced Ghana and Kenya because despite tourism and gold THEY STILL cannot balance their budgets without relying on significant amounts of foreign aid.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:02pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
And how exactly would you do that? Fine the government would have to invest massively in technical and scientific education, the population would have to be kept in check and whilst this is taking place the the government and the people would have to eliminate conspicuous consumption, corruption ,waste and inefficiency
Finally there would have to be an entrepreneurial class that would be able to take advantage of this this cadre of trained engineers and scientists when they come to the labour market by producing goods and services for the EXPORT MARKET
Any other model is just living in cloud cuckoo land to be honest.

In the late 70s Nigeria's economy was ahead of the Asian Tigers (Taiwan S Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong) who focused on massive investment on technology and a diversified economy building financial services centers in the 80s and 90s.
Malaysia came to buy oil palm seeds from Nigeria... Vietnam, Thailand.... All these countries are more developed than Nigeria today.
We are always talking about visions 20XX that never materialises. Just the way you sound.

3 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Kairoseki77: 6:03pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
Any other model is just living in cloud cuckoo land to be honest.

You don't need any of that.

You need infrastructure (electricity, seaports, road/rail, etc)

You need banks.

You need factories (which can be set up in partnership with foreign companies).

There is NO excuse for Nigeria not doing these simple things...ESPECIALLY since we have oil.

3 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Please stop this romanticization of elitism. I prefer we have 135 average unis than 5 or 6 elite unis for pampered elite kids. Do you know in the 70s majority of Nigerians were stark illiterates? Today literacy rate stands at 65% at least. I think we've come a long way.
I don't know why he keeps talking about the 1970s as that was really the hey day for the elites. They really had it all in those days as there was very little competition whereas the demand for well educated graduates was very high.
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:05pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
Man you need to end these arguments because you don't know what you're talking about.
So gold and shipping is a sign of development
And since when did Tourism become a yardstick for industrial development.
I referenced Ghana and Kenya because despite tourism and gold THEY STILL cannot balance their budgets without relying on significant amounts of foreign aid.

I put it that you are incorrect to claim that Ghana and Kenya can't balance their budgets without foreign aid . Nigeria is the one that needs foreign aids to eradicate polio, HIV/AIDS, terrorism, bunkering and piracy. Not Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 01, 2013
Kairoseki77:
You need banks.
There is NO excuse for Nigeria not doing these simple things...ESPECIALLY since we have oil.
You don't know what you are talking about as you don't have a basic understanding of economics. I am through with this pointless debate
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:10pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
I don't know why he keeps talking about the 1970s as that was really the hey day for the elites. They really had it all in those days as there was very little competition whereas the demand for well educated graduates was very high.

This is why (see pic)

Nigeria produced far less amount of oil in the 70s and 80s than today but had a higher GDP and the standard of living was way better back then.

2 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

In the late 70s Nigeria's economy was ahead of the Asian Tigers (Taiwan S Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong) focused on massive investment on technology and a diversified economy building financial services centers in the 80s and 90s.
Malaysia came to buy oil palm seeds from Nigeria... Vietnam, Thailand.... All these countries are more developed than Nigeria today.
We are always talking about visions 20XX that never materialises. Just the way you sound.
You know that is a load of nonsense as both countries then were still primary producers. I am telling you how Malaysia became industrialised and you are still going back telling me that Nigeria was better than them in the 1970s. smh
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

I put it that you are incorrect to claim that Ghana and Kenya can't balance their budgets without foreign aid . Nigeria is the one that needs foreign aids to eradicate polio, HIV/AIDS, terrorism, bunkering and piracy. Not Ghana.
Another strawman argument. Are we talking about PUBLIC HEALTH ISLAMIC MILITANCY OR WHAT?
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
You don't know what you are talking about as you don't have a basic understanding of economics. I am through with this pointless debate

The debate is pointless because your line of argument had met a superior one but you're too proud to cede the fact.

We have digressed a lot just to prove that Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja and Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos which are Nigeria's best are below par in terms of provided services quality when you compare to international airports in other nations.

Better luck next time.

4 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Kairoseki77: 6:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
Tensor, you lost. Get over it.

3 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

The debate is pointless because your line of argument had met a superior one but you're too proud to cede the fact.

We have digressed a lot just to prove that Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja and Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos which are Nigeria's best are below par in terms of services when you compare to international airports in other nations.

Better luck next time.
That's not it . You are all over the place with your posts jumping from one unrelated topic to the next and even confusing mere economic activities with economic development.
I prefer a more disciplined and informed opponent not some foreigner who is merely interested in taking lame potshots at Nigeria
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
That's not it . You are all over the place with your posts jumping from one unrelated topic to the next and even confusing economic activities with economic development.
I prefer a more disciplined opponent not foreigner who is merely intersyed in taking potshots at Nigeria

I am versatile enough to draw from my wide and varied knowledge, experience and logical reasoning ability hence I won't let you and ROSSIKE mislead some Nairalanders with your narrow mindedness.

I live work and play in 9ja. I get green passport too.
I wish to see Nigeria develop faster than you can imagine and her citizenry enjoying this.
If we do not say it as it is we can't change the mess we are currently in.

2 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by mimicue(f): 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2013
Its a big shame...ordinary bus terminal at Thailand smh...nobody is saying they should spend millions..at least it should be maintained very well....not looking abandoned

2 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:34pm On Dec 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Lecturers' Strikes are not a uniquely Nigerian phenomenon.

Lecturers Strike, UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10407441/Universities-to-be-hit-by-large-scale-lecturers-strike.html

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/university-huddersfield-kirklees-college-hit-6356200

Lecturers Strike, Kenya
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/154468.article

Lecturers' strike India
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/guest-lecturers-to-launch-indefinite-strike/article5356741.ece

http://zeenews.india.com/news/maharashtra/maha-gives-ultimatum-to-striking-lecturers_774400.html

You posted the links so you should have read them.

UK- lectures joined the larger labour union cos they're part of it (like NLC/TUC going on strike... ASUU must join)

Kenya- was in 1994... Pikin wey Dem born dt time will be 20yrs old in 2014.

India- were specific to two higher institutions.

Compare the above with Nigeria's incessant nationwide ASUU strikes. One is ongoing.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2013
Tensor777 / ROSSIKE,

Were not quarrelling oh. Na just talk and argument o.

Make una take this link relax abeg:
https://www.nairaland.com/1537789/most-powerful-pictures-taken-nigeria

One luv my brothers.
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2013
tensor777:
That's not it . You are all over the place with your posts jumping from one unrelated topic to the next and even confusing mere economic activities with economic development.
I prefer a more disciplined and informed opponent not some foreigner who is merely interested in taking lame potshots at Nigeria

I'm glad you noticed he's a foreigner. wink
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 6:58pm On Dec 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

I'm glad you noticed he's a foreigner. wink

LOooooool. Cheap shots
Dancing skelewu.
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Morgan567(m): 7:02pm On Dec 01, 2013
game_rod: what attitude? You are one of those who thinks the immigi officials should worship you because you just arrived from abroad? Give them your passport, get it stamped, move on, get your bag, face customs, simple. Which attitude?

haba see challenging o! bros you know this person before?
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 01, 2013
Kairoseki77:

You need banks.

A lot of these things you've mentioned have seen significant progress in recent years, especially under the Jonathan administration. As we speak, investors are QUEUEING UP AND FALLING OVER EACH OTHER to invest in the Nigerian economy. Reasons? Better governance and financial management. (The likes of Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi, and Aganga are world class economists and technocrats who could run any economy in the world), improving infrastructure, govt support for the diversified, non-oil sector like construction, retail, banking, agriculture, telecoms and manufacturing, and finally, due to a rapidly expanding middle class (Africa's largest).

See the famous thread: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates:

https://www.nairaland.com/1249139/foreign-investors-pour-into-nigeria

cool

1 Like

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by lastpage: 7:04pm On Dec 01, 2013
game_rod: what attitude? You are one of those who thinks the immigi officials should worship you because you just arrived from abroad? Give them your passport, get it stamped, move on, get your bag, face customs, simple. Which attitude?

...and YOU are one of those who dont know their left from their right and do not think that an Immigration official, being a PUBLIC OFFICER, needs to learn "courtesy and customer service skills",.... to do their job without surreptitiously asking for "OGA, WHAT DID YOU BRING FOR US"!

Truly, with peeps like you, the phrase that "people (Nigerians) deserve the kind of silly leaders they get", is definitely very correct.

If it was truly "Give them your passport, get it stamped, move on, get your bag, face customs, simple" .... as you said, it wont take two hours just to claim your baggage at Nigerian airports while you'll spend a maximum of 10-minutes at any other international airport worldwide, with even ten-times more the passenger traffic, than ours!

No one expects "any special treatment" from any official, all they are being asked is to do their work efficiently, courteously and without acting like they are not paid to do it. undecided undecided

Lastpage!

BTW: Let no one deceive him/herself: [/b]The ONLY REASON foreign investors "pour-into" Nigeria (if we can really say "pour-into"wink, [b]is because they know and we all know that Nigerian is the bastion of corruption where very QUICK AND EASY MONEY CAN BE MADE!.
Who does not like a "quick kill"? Has any one never wondered why these "foreign investors" have never built a POWER PLANT in Nigeria yet they build it in other countries where the need for such is even less dire?

Who wants to work in a country where both your house and your business is run on "Fuel generators" ....when you can do same business in sane environments with constant power supply? ...IF NOT FOR CORRUPTION?
Lets get real please and stop deluding ourselves.

4 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by LRNZH(m): 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2013
ROSSIKE:

A lot of these things you've mentioned have seen significant progress in recent years. Investors are QUEUEING UP AND FALLING OVER EACH OTHER to invest in the Nigerian economy today. Reasons? Better governance and financial management. (The likes of Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi, and Aganga are world class economists and technocrats who could run any economy in the world), improving infrastructure, govt support for the diversified, non-oil sector like construction, retail, agriculture, telecoms and manufacturing, and finally, due to a rapidly expanding middle class (Africa's largest - which puts a lie to the claim that things are not getting better)

See the famous thread: Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates:

https://www.nairaland.com/1249139/foreign-investors-pour-into-nigeria

cool

2006 thread. That was during OBJ government in the case of Nigeria and a lot have changed since then.
GEJ, Yar'adua etc have happened to Nigeria.
Those who have heads let them think.
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by lastpage: 7:14pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

I am versatile enough to draw from my wide and varied knowledge, experience and logical reasoning ability hence I won't let you and ROSSIKE mislead some Nairalanders with your narrow mindedness.

I live work and play in 9ja. I get green passport too.
I wish to see Nigeria develop faster than you can imagine and her citizenry enjoying this.
If we do not say it as it is we can't change the mess we are currently in.

God bless you, this is the kind of "mindset" we need from our citizens, whether they are "exposed" or not!
Not some ignorant, local arze-lickers who will yarn ANYTHING, no matter how illogical, for some crumbs falling-off the table of their OPPRESSORS!

Lastpage!
Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by FlyinNaija: 7:14pm On Dec 01, 2013
Mr LRNZH,

Please don't waste your time arguing with these clowns who get paid to sit in front of computers defending PDP/GEJ/Stella #team40laptops. They are just proof of our poor economy, young people willing to sell their souls and that of their generations unborn for food. I wonder how much laptop dogs get paid.
As an aviation professional I can tell you that the situation is worse than what passengers get to see. Failed air conditioning is a standard feature of Nigerian airports. The "remodelling" or "transformation" cannot be used as an excuse because MMIA does not use a centralised AC system. Individual halls are cooled using standing AC systems. Lack of maintenance due to corruption and incompetence is the reason for this story.
I was initially sceptical about the initial story blaming the "unclothedness" grin on Delta Airlines because I cannot technically reconcile the fact that passengers will be sweating while seated in an aeroplane that has flown through -56 degree Celsius air for 11 hours.

3 Likes

Re: Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
LRNZH:

2006 thread. That was during OBJ government in the case of Nigeria and a lot have changed since then.
GEJ, Yar'adua etc have happened to Nigeria.
Those who have heads let them think.

Wrong. The thread was posted April 6th of THIS YEAR.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Drives Into Erosion Pit In Benin City / The New Lagos State Traffic Laws And Penalties / Terrible Accident In Onitsha As Car Burns, Many Killed (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.