Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! (13350 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / God Is Obligated To Keep The World Rotating Because If He Doesn't,... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by ABDULADINO(m): 7:49am On Dec 20, 2013
[quote author=Zikkyy]

There was no need to change the tithe. It belonged to the levites as an inheritance. The tithe practice went with them (levites), that was why the apostles never bothered to teach tithe.
bidam speaking was banned, don't know why..had to use a friends id.. Maybe because una dey vex say una no pay dec..tithes. grin. Back to topic.. Melchizedek collects the tithes. He is not a levite.Samuel collects tithes, yet he wasn't a levites..The levites themselves pay tithes..so to say the practice has gone with them is falsehood, no where did the scripture says that. The bolded is also a lie. Paul the Apostle taught tithes. Jesus the Apostle and High priest( Heb 3) taught tithe.
That is not to say you cannot practice the pastoral version of tithe today. Just note that you are not paying God's tithe, that's all.
Na you coin that version na..No be the same bible wey pastors dey use you dey use? God's tithe is Jesus's tithe. We pay to Jesus, not to men.

so we can also say even Jesus paid tithe to Melchizedek na, abi?
Are you blind? Jesus says before Abraham was I AM.

Tithe (i.e. the giving of a tenth or 10% in ya language) was never abolished. what been abolish is God's tithe. you can still practice ya personal/pastoral version of tithe, no wahala
God's tithe was never abolished sir! Show me from scripture where it was written then i rest my case.

Paul settles the matter in verse 8. He states plainly that Christ "receiveth them (the tithes) of whom it is witnessed that He liveth." Who are the witnesses that Christ is alive? Christians! As His witnesses, Christians give tithes to Jesus. Paul could not make it any plainer!
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by ABDULADINO(m): 8:38am On Dec 20, 2013
[quote author=trustman]

You also said these:
A vital principle to remember concerning the Old and New Covenants is that what did not originate with the Old Covenant did not die with it. ( You of all people is guilty of this error. )

Even at that the judaizers were advocating for Moses custom of circumcision for salvation, no where did it mention Abraham.

I then went on to show you how 2 things - family priesthood & circumcision - that predated the law are no longer applicable or compulsory for the Christian.
You did not show me nada! Rather you misquoted, misrepresented and misinterpreted galatians expecting me to swallow your interpretations. As for family priesthood, this is the first time you wrote this word.Check our conversations,BTW are you not a priest under the new?,do you not represent your family before God? Why should it not be compulsory? As for circumcision, you have not answered my question whether you will circumcise your first son,Are you circumcised?, Why should Christians be exempted from the Abrahamic covenant?
A little education for you here - anyone can still undertake circumcision, but anyone who decides not to be circumcised is not estrange from God.Pre-law or Under the law this was not so.
Under the law the person is estranged from God. CAN YOU BACK UP YOUR STATEMENT WITH SCRIPTURES?
And this referred to PHYSICAL CIRCUMCISION even though God would later make reference to circumcision of the heart.
I already quoted it to you.
On the family priesthood you had no answer.
Because there is no where in our conversation where you stated such. cool
This was to debunk your statement that 'what did not originate with the Old Covenant did not die with it. By the way, what about sabbath day observance, hope you know it predated the law? When it came to the New Covenant what happened?
You did not debunk it..rather you confirmed it.

On the issue of sabbath have you noticed that all the 10 commandments except the 4th commandment regarding the Sabbath are reaffirmed in the New Testament? (Rom.13:8-10; Eph.6:1-2; James 5:12; 1 Jhn.5:21) Why did God leave the 4th commandment out if He intended for the Church to follow it? If God wanted the Church under the New Covenant to do certain things, He would certainly make it known to us. This is true of tithing, which the Lord Jesus did not leave out, because He wanted the Church to continue the practice and to receive the promise attached to it.
It was obvious to the judaizers that the Mosaic Law replaced anything before it. So their reference to what was subsisting at their time was only normal. As at their time the Mosaic Law was ALL that God expected them to follow; nothing else. So if Abraham was not mentioned it was because the Law was the 'Standing Order' as at their time not Abraham's system.
You have no point here. The mosaic law was given directly by God to Moses on the mount.Majority are new laws except tithing,circumcision and observance of sabbath which you stated. One thing you should also note is that You don't confuse covenants with laws,they are two different things. The laws are rules contained in covenant(agreement) between God and his people,The Law is not Covenant and the Law can be changed and or fulfilled. The Abrahamic covenant is foundational to all of Scripture. It is the key to both the Old and New Testaments and is foundational to the whole program of redemption. All subsequent revelation is the outworking of this covenant. This
covenant, and the subsequent covenant framework, is the key to understanding Scripture.
Colossians 2: 8-11 – See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.
In him you were also circumcised with a
You are quoting an OUT OF CONTEXT scripture that has no basis to the discuss at hand. I believe ALL(both OT& NT) scripture as inspired by God including the one you quoted and is profitable for doctrines(teachings) reproof,corrections and instructions unto righteousness.Do You?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by ABDULADINO(m): 8:49am On Dec 20, 2013
[quote author=trustman]

Talking about shadows, was it only sacrifices that were a SHADOW of what is to come?
YES.
See what Hebrews 10:1 says - "The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship."

Does God want you to obey the reality rather than the shadow?
The law here refers to ceremonial laws, Read Hebrews in context, you will understand that especially verse 3.The very fact that Jesus substituted unleavened bread and wine for the passover lamb only, and not for the temporary offerings, is absolute proof that the ceremonial old testament offerings are not binding today!-but that the passover is binding! Paul says (Gal. 3: 19) these temporary rituals and sacrifices were “added because of transgression”-because God’s spiritual law was being broken-until Christ should come. They foreshadowed the sacrifices of Christ and were a “reminder of sin” to teach thc people the need of the Messiah who would pay the penalty of human transgression (Hebrews 10:3).
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by DrummaBoy(m): 11:28am On Dec 20, 2013
Bidam tells us that Samuel collected tithes.

Where? How? I would really appreciate it if you can show us, pls. I know you may have mentioned it in the forgone discuss. I would like you to show us where you mentioned it, if you did too. Thanks.

I say this because, it is not possible for Samuel to have collected tithes. Why? Simply because he was not a Levite. Rather he was a prophet that God raised up at a time in which religion had derailed in Israel and the Priests who were supposed to be used of God in this guise had gone with filthy lucre.

It also brings us to a general principle of scripture. God calls men to his service. Also God called the levites to the service of the Temple. These two groups of people are as different as the noon to night. God called Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joseph, Joshua, Samuel, Jesus, Paul, Peter, etc; and not one them is recorded in scripture to have been given a tithe save for the Levites and Priests.

Now God is still calling me to ministry. In our time we have the very popular ones: Oyedepo, Adebgoye, Oyakhilome, etc; and tithes are being paid to them and their ministries. Are they Levites?

Simple question requiring a simple answer, thank you.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by ABDULADINO(m): 1:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
DrummaBoy: Bidam tells us that Samuel collected tithes.

Simple question requiring a simple answer, thank you.
Unlike you, i don't need to go to irrelevancies to prove a point.

God expresses His promise in I Samuel 2: 35 - "And I will raise me up a faithful priest."

So how do priest of Old minister before the Lord in shiloh? was Samuel a priest of God? yes or no?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 5:28pm On Dec 20, 2013
Bidam:
The leviticus can't be used by you to define the tithes amidst so many glaring scriptural evidences that it is not agric produce, i have shown you other scripture,so you don't define God's tithe that way, it is just like saying Jesus is God, MAN, Prophet, Apostle,priest, King, so can you define who Jesus is?

This is exactly why most tithers have problem determining what their tithe should be, and this is why armed robbers and prostitute pay tithe; because they think like you.

God is not a God of confusion. every instruction to the Israelite was clearly stated so they understood the requirements of the Law. If any Jew want to know what was expected of them they go Leviticus 27 (for the nature/definition of the tithe), Numbers 18 to know the beneficiary of the first tithe and Deuteronomy to know the beneficiaries of the second tithe. other instances you find in the bible has to do with tithing practices (actions) by men which cannot be interpreted as God's definition of tithe. even if some people decides to interpret the law to suit their needs, their action does not constitute a modification of the written law. My brother you will find the tithe instructions only in Leviticus for definition, Numbers and Deuteronomy for beneficiary and mode of implementation.

Bidam:
it is just like saying Jesus is God, MAN, Prophet, Apostle,priest, King, so can you define who Jesus is?

you are not in a position to define Jesus.

Bidam:
Tithes is not your so called agric produce. It can be oil,wine,corn..etc to describe is not to define wrong analogy.

Bidam, oil wine & corn comes from agricultural practices. I just hope you know you are embarrassing ya self smiley
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by DrummaBoy(m): 5:39pm On Dec 20, 2013
ABDULADINO: Unlike you, i don't need to go to irrelevancies to prove a point.

God expresses His promise in I Samuel 2: 35 - "And I will raise me up a faithful priest."

So how do priest of Old minister before the Lord in shiloh? was Samuel a priest of God? yes or no?

Here we go again with this challenge you have Bidam with cutting and sowing scriptures to make a point. This is the scripture you quoted in its true context:

35 And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever. 36 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left in thine house shall come and crouch to him for a piece of silver and a morsel of bread, and shall say, Put me, I pray thee, into one of the priests' offices, that I may eat a piece of bread - 1 Samuel 2

Yes in the immediate context God was referring to Samuel in that scripture but in the wider context, especially taking into consideration the fact that this priest will walk before God forever, we must agree that this is one of the many times God spoke of the coming of the Priesthood of Jesus that will replace the weak and beggarly priesthood of Aaron.

Samuel is better referred to as a Prophet and a judge in Israel, and certainly not a priest:

19 And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground. 20 And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD. 21 And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh: for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the LORD - 1 Samuel 3

15 And Samuel judged Israel all the days of his life. 16 And he went from year to year in circuit to Bethel, and Gilgal, and Mizpeh, and judged Israel in all those places. 17 And his return was to Ramah; for there was his house; and there he judged Israel; and there he built an altar unto the LORD - 1 Samuel 7

Samuel will never have referred to himself as a priest because everyone knew who a priest was - a descendant of Aaron. If Samuel had collected a tithe it would have come in line with his duty as someone dedicated to temple work as his mother did. Samuel knew where he came from and understood his calling in life; his mother may have dedicated him to temple work but when he was old enough, he left the temple, returned to his hometown Ramah and judged Israel from there. You can be sure he never collected anyone's tithe from that place.

And as an addendum: people did not give the priest tithes. They gave their tithes to the Levites. It was the Levites who gave a tenth of the tithe to the priest, who in turn stored it in the treasure house.

So back to the question I asked you before now:

It also brings us to a general principle of scripture. God calls men to his service. Also God called the levites to the service of the Temple. These two groups of people are as different as the noon to night. God called Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joseph, Joshua, Samuel, Jesus, Paul, Peter, etc; and not one them is recorded in scripture to have been given a tithe save for the Levites and Priests.

Now God is still calling men to ministry. In our time we have the very popular ones: Oyedepo, Adebgoye, Oyakhilome, etc; and tithes are being paid to them and their ministries. Are they Levites?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 5:47pm On Dec 20, 2013
Bidam:
You are trying hard to justify your folly here, you can quote a dictionary to tell us what agric is which in no way is found in scripture but you cannot quote the same dictionary to explain what WHETHER means

wheth·er (hwr, w-)
conj.
1. Used in indirect questions to introduce one alternative: We should find out whether the museum is open. See Usage Notes at doubt, if.
2. Used to introduce alternative possibilities: Whether she wins or whether she loses, this is her last tournament.
3. Either: He passed the test, whether by skill or luck.

so whether here is a conjunction word used to introduce an alternative possibility. The society at that time was majorly agrarian, not many owned silver,gold, no miners etc. So whether was used to qualify the majority of the populace.That did not stop others that are not farmers from tithing.

Makes no difference. God gave his alternatives; "A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord". everything comes from agricultural practice. He did not even say the fruit of ya labor, he said fruit from the trees. So if you like dig for Gold it will not come under God's definition.

Bidam:
The society at that time was majorly agrarian, not many owned silver,gold, no miners etc. So whether was used to qualify the majority of the populace.That did not stop others that are not farmers from tithing.

Tithing when you are not a farmer amounts to what we call 'over-sabi'. it does not change God's definition of his tithe. Maybe that's the reason armed robbers, prostitute are tithing these days. Based on you peeps understanding, tithing can be anything, sourced from anywhere and pastors are smiling to the bank smiley
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 5:52pm On Dec 20, 2013
Bidam:
Notice. God says, “For all the earth is Mine” (Ex. 19:5) and “Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the Lord’s your God, the earth also, with all that therein is” (Deut. 10:14) and also “whatsoever is under the whole heaven is Mine” (Job 41:11). King David wrote, “The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein” (Psa. 24:1). I Corinthians 10:26 repeats his words.

God also says, “For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills...If I were hungry, I would not tell you: for the world is Mine, and the fullness thereof” (Psa. 50:10, 12). Finally, the prophet Haggai wrote, “The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine, says the Lord” (Hag. 2:8 ).

Nobody is saying the God is not the onwer of heaven and earth. What we are saying here is that God did not demand for a tithe of heaven and earth smiley
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 6:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
Bidam:
here is a scripture to ponder on.

"Yea, The Lord will answer and say unto His people, Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith: and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen: But I will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come up, because he hath done great things. Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for The Lord will do great things." (Joel 2:19-21 KJV)

So because corn, wine and oil is found here should we use your definition and say they are agric produce shey?

Bidam, God saying he will send corn, and wine, and oil does not change anything. corn wine and oil still obtained from agricultural activities, natural products from plants.

Bidam:
Is it not God that sends them according to that passage? Even manna( coriander seeds) fell from heaven for the children of Israel, should you now foolishly label agric produce? You see ya lyf. Another scripture to consider, to show you the futlity of your folly is "For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth." (Amos 9:9 KJV) so you can see that the corn here is not talking about agric produce.

Whether the thing fall from heaven or came out of the ground does not change anything. The fact that God sent quails does not change the fact that quails are birds. why is it so difficult for you to understand?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 10:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
[quote author=ABDULADINO][/quote]

Bidam, you said:
Under the law the person is estranged from God. CAN YOU BACK UP YOUR STATEMENT WITH SCRIPTURES?
Genesis 17:14 - "Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”
Exodus 12:48 - “A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the Lord’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land. No uncircumcised male may eat it."

Also that:
[b]The Abrahamic covenant is foundational to all of Scripture. It is the key to both the Old and New Testaments and is foundational to the whole program of redemption. All subsequent revelation is the outworking of this covenant. This
covenant, and the subsequent covenant framework, is the key to understanding Scripture.

Hebrews 7 - "This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3 Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

4 Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! 5 Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham. 6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater. 8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.
Here you see Melchizedek considered greater than Abraham and then to prove the point that Christ's priesthood and the New Covenant he instituted is greater than anything before it, whether Abraham, the Levitical priesthood or the law.

Although DrummaBoy had made this remark about you before now, the question is - How do you take a simple statement as 'The law is ... ...' and then turn into 'The law here refers to ceremonial laws'? How do decide where law refers to ceremonial law and when it refers to the whole law and so on and so forth? If you claim to hold on to all scripture then you cannot pick and choose what you like and you seem to be doing this quite a lot!
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 10:56pm On Dec 20, 2013
[quote author=ABDULADINO][/quote]

Where in the following does the word LAW refer to ceremonial law or otherwise?
Galatians 3 -

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 12:06am On Dec 21, 2013
Bidam: This are your lies and ideologies,scripture in no way says tithes are converted into traveling money and food.. let's stick to what the bible says abeg..Here it is for your perusal.

DEUTERONOMY 14:22-25
22 You shall truly tithe all the increase of your seed, that the field brings forth year by year.
23 And you will eat before the LORD your God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of your corn, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks; that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.
24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry it; or if the place is too far from you, which the LORD your God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD your God has blessed you:
25 Then shall you turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and shall go to the place which the LORD your God shall choose:

The tithes were to be brought to the place where God chose "to put his name there" (Deuteronomy 12:5), "to cause his name to dwell there;" (Deuteronomy 12:11), "to place his name there," (Deuteronomy 14:23). In those days this specifically referred to the Temple in Jerusalem (1 Kings 9:3; 2 Kings 21:4; 21:7; 2 Chronicles 33:7).

verse 22 says tithe the increase of ya seed that the field bring forth. Did you read that? God did not say tithe the increase of ya gold & silver. Verse 23 says the tithe of ya corn, wine & oil, again no gold and silver. Verse 24 & 25 says if the way is too far & ya tithe is too heavy for you to carry, turn ya tithe to money so ya load will be light. Bidam if ya money is too heavy for you, do you turn money into money?

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by PastorKun(m): 7:47am On Dec 21, 2013
Zikkyy:

verse 22 says tithe the increase of ya seed that the field bring forth. Did you read that? God did not say tithe the increase of ya gold & silver. Verse 23 says the tithe of ya corn, wine & oil, again no gold and silver. Verse 24 & 25 says if the way is too far & ya tithe is too heavy for you to carry, turn ya tithe to money so ya load will be light. Bidam if ya money is too heavy for you, do you turn money into money?

And the fact that bidam deliberately left out verse 26 where God instructed in clear terms that the tither eats his tithe with his family whilst attempting to quote the scripture out of context is another evidence that bidam is a fraud. He knows the truth but his love for filthy lucre keeps him twisting scriptures for selfish gain.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Labelle(f): 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
Pastor Kun:

And the fact that bidam deliberately left out verse 26 where God instructed in clear terms that the tither eats his tithe with his family whilst attempting to quote the scripture out of context is another evidence that bidam is a fraud. He knows the truth but his love for filthy lucre keeps him twisting scriptures for selfish gain.

Woahhhhh!!! I have been reading this thread for a while now and must admit that I have learnt so much about tithing from Nairaland.

I hardly make posts on this site, just breeze in to read topics of interest and breeze out although I have been a member since inception.

But today, I must admit that I am in utter shock....Anyone reading this today please take note.

All the while I have always wondered if people like Bidman where genuinely unsure/confused/unclear about the scriptures' postulations on tithing. but when i read the bible post he pasted above, conveniently omitting verse 26 of Deuteronomy 14, which was basically the core of the subject, I froze!!!

This basically means that Mr. Bidman very well knows this truth but is trying to out-smart Nigerians perhaps for monetary gains.

Woah. This further means that these people that come on here propagating tainted doctrines do not give a flipping coin about God, the Bible or consequence!!!. They are as hard hearted as daylight armed robbers.

Anyone who continues to join words with people like Bidman does so at his own peril.

2 Likes

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by PastorKun(m): 8:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
Labelle:

Woahhhhh!!! I have been reading this thread for a while now and must admit that I have learnt so much about tithing from Nairaland.

I hardly make posts on this site, just breeze in to read topics of interest and breeze out although I have been a member since inception.

But today, I must admit that I am in utter shock....Anyone reading this today please take note.

All the while I have always wondered if people like Bidman where genuinely unsure/confused/unclear about the scriptures' postulations on tithing. but when i read the bible post he pasted above, conveniently omitting verse 26 of Deuteronomy 14, which was basically the core of the subject, I froze!!!

This basically means that Mr. Bidman very well knows this truth but is trying to out-smart Nigerians perhaps for monetary gains.

Woah. This further means that these people that come on here propagating tainted doctrines do not give a flipping coin about God, the Bible or consequence!!!. They are as hard hearted as daylight armed robbers.

Anyone who continues to join words with people like Bidman does so at his own peril.

[size=40pt] GBAM!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
Zikkyy:

This is exactly why most tithers have problem determining what their tithe should be, and this is why armed robbers and prostitute pay tithe; because they think like you.
We are not talking about armed robbers and prostitute here but about God's tithe.God has no pleasure in the sacrifices of Fools, whether they are armed robbers or not is irrelevant. cheesy

God is not a God of confusion. every instruction to the Israelite was clearly stated so they understood the requirements of the Law. If any Jew want to know what was expected of them they go Leviticus 27 (for the nature/definition of the tithe), Numbers 18 to know the beneficiary of the first tithe and Deuteronomy to know the beneficiaries of the second tithe. other instances you find in the bible has to do with tithing practices (actions) by men which cannot be interpreted as God's definition of tithe. even if some people decides to interpret the law to suit their needs, their action does not constitute a modification of the written law. My brother you will find the tithe instructions only in Leviticus for definition, Numbers and Deuteronomy for beneficiary and mode of implementation.
Like i said All this are your vain interpretation and not scriptures following your analogy God did not also define offerings to be money in the NT. Lev 27 did not define God's tithe, it talks about the alternative which you agreed.

you are not in a position to define Jesus.

You are also in no position to define God's tithe. God's tithe is HOLY.

Bidam, oil wine & corn comes from agricultural practices. I just hope you know you are embarrassing ya self smiley
You are the one embarrassing your self here, I told you there is nothing like agric found in the bible,deal with it. cool
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
Zikkyy:

Makes no difference. God gave his alternatives.....
It makes a whole lot of difference alternatives are what they are...ALTERNATIVES....they are not what defines a particular thing.
al·ter·na·tive (ôl-tûrn-tv, l-)
n.
a. The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities.
b. A situation presenting such a choice.
c. Either of these possibilities. See Synonyms at choice.
2. Usage Problem One of a number of things from which one must be chosen.
adj.
1. Allowing or necessitating a choice between two or more things.

So this has made a nonsense out of you statements, that God's tithe is agric produce.

Tithing when you are not a farmer amounts to what we call 'over-sabi'. it does not change God's definition of his tithe. Maybe that's the reason armed robbers, prostitute are tithing these days. Based on you peeps understanding, tithing can be anything, sourced from anywhere and pastors are smiling to the bank smiley
God's tithe is NOT defined in Lev 27, all these are your vain imaginations and opinions. They are self opinionated. And i never told you i practiced the mosaic tithing anyway so why not stick to the issue of argument,rather than throwing false accusations and childish tantrums. cheesy
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
Zikkyy:

Nobody is saying the God is not the onwer of heaven and earth. What we are saying here is that God did not demand for a tithe of heaven and earth smiley
Maybe you did not get the import of those things i posted. Let me repeat them again for emphasis.
Notice. God says, “For all the earth is Mine” (Ex. 19:5) and “Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the Lord’s your God, the earth also, with all that therein is” (Deut. 10:14) and also “whatsoever is under the whole heaven is Mine” (Job 41:11). King David wrote, “The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein” (Psa. 24:1). I Corinthians 10:26 repeats his words.

God also says, “For every beast of the forest is Mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills...If I were hungry, I would not tell you: for the world is Mine, and the fullness thereof” (Psa. 50:10, 12). Finally, the prophet Haggai wrote, “The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine, says the Lord” (Hag. 2:8 ).

We are just custodians of the things on earth, so if He demands a tenth of the land,it is His.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
[quote author=DrummaBoy]

[size=16pt]Yes in the immediate context God was referring to Samuel in that scripture[/size]
This is what i need to know not your irrelevant stories. So can you tell us the function of Priests?
Samuel is better referred to as a Prophet and a judge in Israel, [size=16pt]and certainly not a priest:
[/size]
I did not argue about Samuel being a prophet and a judge here ok? You are even unstable and undecided about your answer, why not go do the research and get back to me whether Samuel is a priest or not. cheesy

Now God is still calling men to ministry. In our time we have the very popular ones: Oyedepo, Adebgoye, Oyakhilome, etc; and tithes are being paid to them and their ministries. Are they Levites?[/i]
The topic is not about oyedepo and co but about tithes...you can go and ask them if that will satisfy your curiosity whether they are levites or not.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Zikkyy:

Bidam, God saying he will send corn, and wine, and oil does not change anything. corn wine and oil still obtained from agricultural activities, natural products from plants.
But it changes everything oooo.. This is your definition of agric.
Zikkyy:

Merriam-webster: the science, art, or practice of cultivating the soil, producing crops, and raising livestock and in varying degrees the preparation and marketing of the resulting products.
So are you telling us here that there is SOIL in the sky

Whether the thing fall from heaven or came out of the ground does not change anything. The fact that God sent quails does not change the fact that quails are birds. why is it so difficult for you to understand?
This agric produce that was suppose to grow in soil actually changes everything,quail case na different matter, birds don't grow in soils,they are creatures Made by God.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
trustman:

Bidam, you said:
Genesis 17:14 - "Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”
Exodus 12:48 - “A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the Lord’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land. No uncircumcised male may eat it."

Also that:
[b]The Abrahamic covenant is foundational to all of Scripture. It is the key to both the Old and New Testaments and is foundational to the whole program of redemption. All subsequent revelation is the outworking of this covenant. This

Hebrews 7 - "This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, the name Melchizedek means “king of righteousness”; then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3 Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

4 Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! 5 Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham. 6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater. 8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.
Here you see Melchizedek considered greater than Abraham and then to prove the point that Christ's priesthood and the New Covenant he instituted is greater than anything before it, whether Abraham, the Levitical priesthood or the law.

Although DrummaBoy had made this remark about you before now, the question is - How do you take a simple statement as 'The law is ... ...' and then turn into 'The law here refers to ceremonial laws'? How do decide where law refers to ceremonial law and when it refers to the whole law and so on and so forth? If you claim to hold on to all scripture then you cannot pick and choose what you like and you seem to be doing this quite a lot!
I don't understand your point here they are muddled up, if you don't know how to quote me, try stating your points clearly and get back to me .thanks.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
trustman:

Where in the following does the word LAW refer to ceremonial law or otherwise?
Galatians 3 -

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”
I think i quoted gal 3 :19..follow the trend of discussion bro..And for what you quoted as book of the law..it is making reference to deut 27:26

Before your pronouncement of Amen...do you sleep with an animal since Christ was made a curse for you by hanging on a tree amongst many other practices? Read deut 27:15_25 TO SEE THE CURSES,NO WHERE TITHING WAS MENTIONED.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
Labelle:

Woah. This further means that these people that come on here propagating tainted doctrines do not give a flipping coin about God, the Bible or consequence!!!. [size=16pt]They are as hard hearted as daylight armed robbers.
[/size]
It is peeps like you who don"t study their bible and rely on the Holy Spirit, but they come online to swallow everything people who are not even Christians are saying.As long as these peeps can quote the bible and read the letters, you are ok abi? You do not even have the right to call me names here since you don't have any reasonable thing to contribute to the discuss..Best advice i can give you is to go study your bible and rely on the Holy Spirit not me, not even peeps here ok? BTW, i do not practice mosaic tithing and the last time i checked there are 3 types of tithing,in the mosaic law. i did not omit the other verse deliberately but to glean out principles there, i know what the verse says..so don't just erroneously start judging someone based on ONLY ONE THREAD. I DON'T OPEN TITHE THREADS,ANTITHERS DO THAT.MY NAME IS BIDAM NOT BIDMAN.

Assuming if you are even a christian to start with.God is not interested in your sacrifice but firstly your salvation.Sacrifices of sinners is an abomination unto the Lord.

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, But the prayer of the upright is His delight. The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, But He loves him who follows righteousness." (Proverbs 15:8, 9 NKJV)
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
[quote author=Zikkyy]

verse 22 says tithe the increase of ya seed that the field bring forth. Did you read that? God did not say tithe the increase of ya gold & silver.
Remember it's an alternative.
Verse 23 says the tithe of ya corn, wine & oil, again no gold and silver.
You omitted that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always., which is the reason why they should tithe those alternatives.
Verse 24 & 25 says if the way is too far & ya tithe is too heavy for you to carry, turn ya tithe to money so ya load will be light. Bidam if ya money is too heavy for you, do you turn money into money?
And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry it; or if the place is too far from you, which the LORD your God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD your God has blessed you:
25 Then shall you turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and shall go to the place which the LORD your God shall choose:
The purpose and principle behind the tithes is the bolded which again you deliberately omitted.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 22, 2013
Pastor Kun:

You have the penchant for insults and name calling, i couldn't reply this post because i was banned by you and your cohorts.No wahala.Truth will always triumph over evil and falsehoods. cheesy

Now, you falsely accuse me as if i did not know that verse was there.You are the one that always quote this verse to twist scripture and say after all even if we are to tithe, the bible says we should eat tithes. Why not come out and explain the other different kinds of tithes we have? For your info i don't practice mosaic tithings and i have stated that even in this forum, so for you to jump on me now and accuse me without following the trend of conversation is rather dishonest on your part. i have every right to quote a verse of scripture to drive home a point just like anyone here ok?

Even your ally drumma, has acknowledge that tithing of the Old Covenant, was instituted solely for the support of the Levitical priesthood. So i wonder what your fixation is on tithe eating

Let me correct this wrong error on the second tithes once and for all.

Moses addresses Deuteronomy 12 to Israel on the east side of the Jordan River. He tells them that, instead of having altars and high places throughout the country, they should bring their required and free-will offerings, other sacrifices, firstlings, and tithes (plural in verses 6, 11) to the place where God put His name. There, the people were to eat before Him.
principles behind this: There is nothing wrong in people bringing food to church for a picnic,churches often do that na..

The second tithe here is in addition to the tithe commanded in Numbers 18. It was to be eaten by the individual Israelite, but not at home ("not . . . within your gates," Deuteronomy 12:17). This tithe was not to come out of the first tithe, because the latter was the Levites' inheritance. The Levites lived off the first tithe in all their cities throughout the year. Therefore, the first tithe that they normally lived on cannot have been the second tithe that God forbids all to eat in their homes. The Bible nowhere states that the Levite had to bring a special tithe to eat at the feasts. The people were to bring it. Verse 18 specifically states that the Levite should also eat of the second tithe where the Lord chose to place His name.

In Deuteronomy 12:11, the plural usage shows that Moses distinctly refers to more than one tithe. Deuteronomy 14:23 uses "tithe" in the singular because the passage describes only the specific tithe that they are to consume where God places His name.

If you read that verse to 28,it talks about the tither feasting in the presence of the Lord and of him not neglecting the levites and storing up tithes until the third year for levites, you did not quote all these yet you had to accuse me falsely.SMH!!
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by anukulapo: 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2013
Bidam: And i never told you i practiced the mosaic tithing anyway so why not stick to the issue of argument,rather than throwing false accusations and childish tantrums. cheesy

Bidam, You have been webbed into the mosaic law argument as regards the discussions obviously.
If your tithing position is not in the mosaic "law",I advice you stop responding to comments about mosaic tithe (agric produce, farm produce, eat your tithe..., give the levites...sell them and bring the money to jerusalem...and the related points).

**Gosh is against tithe as a "law" and the threat of malachi curses.**

**Zikky is indifferent about tithe saying "the money is yours,do what you want with it; EVEN IF YOU CHOOSE TO TITHE (emphasis is mine)**
...And others,have similar opinion but that it is not a "law" or "requirement"

So they seem not to be against tithing (except they reaffirm their stand again if I'm mistaking)
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2013
Bidam,
It is obvious you're mixed-up in your understanding of the Bible.
You also deliberately decide to ignore issues and comments that clearly debunk your stand on tithing.

What Christ instituted after his work on earth was done far superceeds ANYTHING that was before it, whether it was what was in operation up to and including the time of Abraham or what the law and the prophets presented. By ANYTHING i mean any system for living the spiritual life or relating with God WHETHER rituals or any other form of observances such as tithing. Therefore, NO MAN TODAY HAS THE RIGHT TO INSIST on TITHING under the grace and truth that Jesus Christ brought - For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ(John 1:17).

The insistence on tithing today turns Christians away from living their true spiritual lives. Rather than focusing on what Christ has done it makes them focus on their WORKS such as TITHING as a means of gaining God's approval or blessings. In Christ we have been blessed with every blessing we can think of - "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ"(Ephesians.1: 3). We cannot merit any blessing from God on the basis of what we do including TITHING.

The ONLY thing that satisfied God was Jesus' work. Our expression of gratitude to God for what he did for us in Christ is what should DRIVE our spiritual lives, not seeking to present a scorecard of our works before God. That expression of gratitude can come in any form including GIVING. But giving must not be forced from any Christian whether covertly or overtly. It must be the INDIVIDUAL CHOICE of the believer. This point Apostle Peter made clear in the issue of Ananias And Sapphira - "Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.” (Acts 5:4). This understanding is what pervaded their thinking that we find NO SINGLE directive on tithing in the new testament epistles; GIVING, yes, but not any insistence on giving ANY FIXED PERCENTAGE OR AMOUNT.

The plain truth is that all that is truly critical or important for the Christian way of life has been given to us in the writings of these apostles. On the other hand anything not given to us by these men but propagated today as critical to the Christian’s spiritual life is man-made and will be wood, hay and stubble at the evaluation throne of Christ.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by PastorKun(m): 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2013
trustman: Bidam,
You also deliberately decide to ignore issues and comments that clearly debunk your stand on tithing.

Bidam is not mixed up on this issue of tithes, he has only chosen to be deliberately dishonest about it.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2013
anukulapo:

Bidam, You have been webbed into the mosaic law argument as regards the discussions obviously.
If your tithing position is not in the mosaic "law",I advice you stop responding to comments about mosaic tithe (agric produce, farm produce, eat your tithe..., give the levites...sell them and bring the money to jerusalem...and the related points).

**Gosh is against tithe as a "law" and the threat of malachi curses.**

**Zikky is indifferent about tithe saying "the money is yours,do what you want with it; EVEN IF YOU CHOOSE TO TITHE (emphasis is mine)**
...And others,have similar opinion but that it is not a "law" or "requirement"

So they seem not to be against tithing (except they reaffirm their stand again if I'm mistaking)
You are actually wrong.Theses folks are against everything called tithes,whether it is mosaic or not as far as na tithes,dem go fight am. grin
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by DrummaBoy(m): 8:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
trustman: Bidam,

What Christ instituted after his work on earth was done far superceeds ANYTHING that was before it, whether it was what was in operation up to and including the time of Abraham or what the law and the prophets presented. By ANYTHING i mean any system for living the spiritual life or relating with God WHETHER rituals or any other form of observances such as tithing. Therefore, NO MAN TODAY HAS THE RIGHT TO INSIST on TITHING under the grace and truth that Jesus Christ brought - For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ(John 1:17).

The insistence on tithing today turns Christians away from living their true spiritual lives. Rather than focusing on what Christ has done it makes them focus on their WORKS such as TITHING as a means of gaining God's approval or blessings. In Christ we have been blessed with every blessing we can think of - "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ"(Ephesians.1: 3). We cannot merit any blessing from God on the basis of what we do including TITHING.

The ONLY thing that satisfied God was Jesus' work. Our expression of gratitude to God for what he did for us in Christ is what should DRIVE our spiritual lives, not seeking to present a scorecard of our works before God. That expression of gratitude can come in any form including GIVING. But giving must not be forced from any Christian whether covertly or overtly. It must be the INDIVIDUAL CHOICE of the believer. This point Apostle Peter made clear in the issue of Ananias And Sapphira - "Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.” (Acts 5:4). This understanding is what pervaded their thinking that we find NO SINGLE directive on tithing in the new testament epistles; GIVING, yes, but not any insistence on giving ANY FIXED PERCENTAGE OR AMOUNT.

The plain truth is that all that is truly critical or important for the Christian way of life has been given to us in the writings of these apostles. On the other hand anything not given to us by these men but propagated today as critical to the Christian’s spiritual life is man-made and will be wood, hay and stubble at the evaluation throne of Christ.

It is not too many times I read posts on NL that perfectly reflects my thoughts and doctrine. God bless you bro for this post.

In addition, this back and forth with Bidam has been done by virtually every person that does not tithe on this forum. I have witnessed Candour, Goshen360, frosbel, Pastor Kun, myself and a host of others, come here and do the same but the man continues in his obstinacy. One thing I am almost sure of is that you will not convince Bidam at the end.

I will not discourage your exchanges with him; you may be the one God will use to deliver him at the very last. Consider this: a woman, Labelle, who never comments on tithe thread and has been reading posts on this forum since inception was brought out of the coolers because of Bidam's sheer obstinacy to accept the truth. What can be worse?

I wish you all the best, sir. For some of us, we are done with Bidman or is Bidam, whatever!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith / Chris Kwakpovwe To Run 50000 Kilometres This Year / Pope Bans Cigarettes Sales In Vatican

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.