Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,046 members, 7,849,221 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 04:33 PM

A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims (2547 Views)

Those Doubting The Existence Of God,what Is The Source Of Supernatural Powers / God And Your Brain:the Power Of Supernatural Intelligence / A Refutation Of The ‘testimony’ Of Charlotte Wells / Charlotte Keckler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2013
macof:

No, I dont have direct access to Obatala, thats why his priest would be good. I was told once that Ori chooses how a person would look(cripple, short, talk etc.) and if ur Ori is against tallness Obatala priest cant do anything.

They'll just tell u to deal wit ur height and live ur life.

Okay bro. Thanks. Let's see if folykaze has any juju for me
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
honestly its very hard to make out what exactly you're talking about here,its incoherent.on one hand you say ''when did i tell you that what the woman did was extraordinary'' then the next minute you say what she did was spiritual,forgive me if i find that contradictory.ofcourse she wouldn't know what the scietific name of the elements she used are,but she might have another name for it,i still don't understand what point that made.you're peddling pseudoscience by seeing something spiritual in a basic mathematical axiom like the difference between 1 and 2,seems to me you're the one who feels the need to argue baselessly.but well i submit that i've not had any supernatural experience and so i'll leave it to those who claim to have experienced it to show the truth in their claims

Lol. Am incoherent? Thats a complement. Thanks.

The whole ground of my incoherent talk is go out there and experiment it or challenge those that make claims about supernatural rather than hanging on words. And if you got nothing to do than making cheap talk or baseless arguement, get me 'dry and white salt' from a three days soup.

So extraordinary is parallel with spirituality? Or what is contradicting in my statement? Smh.

The woman know bitter leaf, vegetable, pepper leaf and mango treeback. Am asking you to ask the old pal in your village the chemical elements in the herb concortion he made, how cashew leaf heal typhoid and how lime water heal malaria. Ask him to explain the process on how he gets the final concortion and what makes it work. The answer he can give you is Gods did it. Period because he doesn't understand. How then can you ask me to explain something i dont understand?

So making herb is pseudoscience. You are scientifical and haven't seen any medicine you produced except the ones other make. Do you even read at all? I explained science as normal.....and spirituality as infinity without bounds. I said supernatural is something not fully understood but when there is explanation, it becomes norm and add up to knowledge. Because you have little explanation like you know plants contain so so chemical makes it pseudoscience huh? You are eating your teeths bro. So incision and incantation is pseudoscience huh? Lol.

Internet is not the place for acquiring full knowledge. Go out there and experience it. How is that hard for you?
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:11pm On Dec 03, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, I'm not a dwarf but I certainly will like to grow taller.

Your gal got problem with your height? Lol

I was about asking you too if u have any juju that can make me taller

No sir.

Go and consult those that sell herbs.....they will provide answer for that.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 03, 2013
@op why do you think people wear charms?? Do you think its for fun
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Lol. Am incoherent? Thats a complement. Thanks.

The whole ground of my incoherent talk is go out there and experiment it or challenge those that make claims about supernatural rather than hanging on words. And if you got nothing to do than making cheap talk or baseless arguement, get me 'dry and white salt' from a three days soup.

So extraordinary is parallel with spirituality? Or what is contradicting in my statement? Smh.

The woman know bitter leaf, vegetable, pepper leaf and mango treeback. Am asking you to ask the old pal in your village the chemical elements in the herb concortion he made, how cashew leaf heal typhoid and how lime water heal malaria. Ask him to explain the process on how he gets the final concortion and what makes it work. The answer he can give you is Gods did it. Period because he doesn't understand. How then can you ask me to explain something i dont understand?

So making herb is pseudoscience. You are scientifical and haven't seen any medicine you produced except the ones other make. Do you even read at all? I explained science as normal.....and spirituality as infinity without bounds. I said supernatural is something not fully understood but when there is explanation, it becomes norm and add up to knowledge. Because you have little explanation like you know plants contain so so chemical makes it pseudoscience huh? You are eating your teeths bro. So incision and incantation is pseudoscience huh? Lol.

Internet is not the place for acquiring full knowledge. Go out there and experience it. How is that hard for you?
maybe we have different definitions on what 'extraordinary' means,i take it to mean beyond the ordinary and am not sure how that's different from supernatural which is something beyond the natural i.e. Ordinary reality we're familiar with.somaybe should define what 'spiritual' means so we're on the same page.and based on what i understand to be supernatural,nothing in what you have explained sounds like it,herbal medicine is not voodoo or witchcraft.i agree though that i'll have to experience it for myself to confirm or falsify but for now am not convinced
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by dorox(m): 4:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Back in school, I had seen a guy that was shot and cut severally with a machete by the opposing cult group to no avil,after we all ran away he was found dead with no physical injury and a dislocated neck.

Anyone who has had the misfortune of being in the vicinity of gun violence will tell you that the scene is always very chaotic with frightened people running helter skelter for their dear lives. But in your case you were brave enough to stick around, all the while eyeballing the perpetrators as they continue to shoot and hack at their victim.
Can someone tell me that I'm not alone in thinking that it is very unlikely that he was a witness to the incident he claimed to have seen.

1 Like

Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:56pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
maybe we have different definitions on what 'extraordinary' means,i take it to mean beyond the ordinary and am not sure how that's different from supernatural which is something beyond the natural i.e. Ordinary reality we're familiar with.somaybe should define what 'spiritual' means so we're on the same page.and based on what i understand to be supernatural,nothing in what you have explained sounds like it,herbal medicine is not voodoo or witchcraft.i agree though that i'll have to experience it for myself to confirm or falsify but for now am not convinced

Extraordinary and paranormal is the same and both are described as impossible to explain scientifically, unable to be explained or understood in terms of scientific knowledge. It is basically an experience that is outside of the range of normal, or to be outside of modern science's current ability to explain or measure. Example are Extraterrestrial life, unidentified flying object, dark matter, dark energy. While supernatural would also indicate no explanation by normal or known natural law or scientific means but the activity is attributed to a spiritual source like God, demons, angels, or spirit etc. In spirituality, there is no basic God (i mean sky daddy who is hungry for worship and faith) but the word was adopted as admiration for natural phenomenon. Like the pantheist call Universe God, Jain call universe God. In natural pantheism, everything in nature is God and divine or sacred. So the final output of both extraordinary and supernatural manifest plain before nature so it nature but no explanation yet for it.

Spirituality on the other hand is the search for sacred (scientifical term for super and wonders) which involve understanding oneself, enquiring and observing your environment. Spirituality is like aiming to define the indefinable which give birth to science. Spirituality is not only compatible with science, it is the profound source of science - carl sagan.

Herbs doesn't include voodoo and witchcraft? Are you for real?

Voodoo mean spirit and in scientific sense, spirit is energy. Were you not the one that said herbs is part of pseudoscience?

Incision, incantation, spell and unexplanable practice is witchcrafting. Occultism contain witchcrafting and that is the practical science there. Kindly hook up with wiccan....or get close to Awo to make herb or medicine to you. They will use spells and others. It witchcraft to you because you dont understand it. A man that want to pluck leaf and incantate is scientifical huh? Smh.

You can not be convinced unless you experience it. You cant sit down behind computer in the city and ask me to provide fact for you. Go to those that have it very close to you. Go and test them. We cant convince you with words.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by macof(m): 5:27pm On Dec 03, 2013
Rothstein tryna form Einstein grin

Best thing to do is visit a ritual site and observe their acts
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 03, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Your gal got problem with your height? Lol

No sir.

Go and consult those that sell herbs.....they will provide answer for that.

Lol, no bro. She's satisfied wt my height.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 03, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Extraordinary and paranormal is the same and both are described as impossible to explain scientifically, unable to be explained or understood in terms of scientific knowledge. It is basically an experience that is outside of the range of normal, or to be outside of modern science's current ability to explain or measure. Example are Extraterrestrial life, unidentified flying object, dark matter, dark energy. While supernatural would also indicate no explanation by normal or known natural law or scientific means but the activity is attributed to a spiritual source like God, demons, angels, or spirit etc. In spirituality, there is no basic God (i mean sky daddy who is hungry for worship and faith) but the word was adopted as admiration for natural phenomenon. Like the pantheist call Universe God, Jain call universe God. In natural pantheism, everything in nature is God and divine or sacred. So the final output of both extraordinary and supernatural manifest plain before nature so it nature but no explanation yet for it.
Wow ok am going to ignore the fact that you try to creat a distinction between paranormal,supernatural and extraordinary.good thing you talked about science,unexplained events or occurence that do not stand the test of repeated and objective experiments are not called paranormal or supernatural,they're called hypothesis or conjectures,and funny thing about conjectures is that all opinions are valid until the truth is discovered,till then no one can claim monopoly on what these event are and it is because of this that all claims of this sort should be taken with a grain of salt.
Spirituality on the other hand is the search for sacred (scientifical term for super and wonders) which involve understanding oneself, enquiring and observing your environment. Spirituality is like aiming to define the indefinable which give birth to science. Spirituality is not only compatible with science, it is the profound source of science - carl sagan.
Well if you wish to define spirituality that way then fine,science deals with falsifying or confirming claims and until i can do one of these,i wish to remain skeptical
Herbs doesn't include voodoo and witchcraft? Are you for real?
I never said herbs doesn't include voodoo(what does that even mean)i said herbal healing is as natural as anything we know,the fact that the native doctors says some words doesn't make it anymore supernatural.you don't believe in the christian god,so does the fact that a priest says the words of consecration over waivers prove to you that it is indeed divine?these are just signatures of different believe systems.
Voodoo mean spirit and in scientific sense, spirit is energy. Were you not the one that said herbs is part of pseudoscience?
Again i said herbs is a natural process,it's just you that chose to give it a supernatural appeal,am sure if people like abraham should see a jet,there's no way anyone could convince him that's not something supernatural,these are all subjective experience
Incision, incantation, spell and unexplanable practice is witchcrafting. Occultism contain witchcrafting and that is the practical science there. Kindly hook up with wiccan....or get close to Awo to make herb or medicine to you. They will use spells and others. It witchcraft to you because you dont understand it. A man that want to pluck leaf and incantate is scientifical huh? Smh.
Dude what are you even saying?a whole bunch of pseudoscience again
You can not be convinced unless you experience it. You cant sit down behind computer in the city and ask me to provide fact for you. Go to those that have it very close to you. Go and test them. We cant convince you with words.
that's right and until these claims can be put to the test,on repeated trials,objective observation,then i can believe but for now i don't think so.btw james randi has a million dollar prize for anyone that can demonstrate any supernatural claim and pass through his rigorous tests,so far no one has passed,i think that says alot
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 03, 2013
@folykaze sorry am new here and don't really know how to reply in parts,i messed it up while trying to do that,read the above highlighted post and you'll notice that after your text my comments follows in reponse.plus am on phone now
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2013
Alright, I understand mate.

Mr.Rothstein :

Wow ok am going to ignore the fact that you try to creat a distinction between paranormal,supernatural and extraordinary.good thing you talked about science,unexplained events or occurence that do not stand the test of repeated and objective experiments are not called paranormal or supernatural,they're called hypothesis or conjectures, and funny thing about conjectures is that all opinions are valid until the truth is discovered,till then no one can claim monopoly on what these event are and it is because of this that all claims of this sort should be taken with a grain of salt.

The bold is making the whole discussion funny. And it seem you are reading meaning to my statements. I guess everything I wrote are simple.

Here is your error mate. Paranormal, extraordinary and supernatural is a term used for a phenomenon.

Hypothesis and Conjecture are term used as proposition of a phenomenon. You see the differences?

A conjecture typically refers to a statement you are making that is unproven or a proposition that is unproven while a Hypothesis is an educated guess some even call it a scientific guess which tries to explain a phenomenon. It is a proposed explanation or a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences for a phenomenon.

The phenomenon on it own stand either as normal, extraordinary, paranormal or supernatural.

Conjecture and Hypothesis = proposed explanation or proposition of a phenomenon

Paranormal and supernatural = phenomenon

Mr.Rothstein :

Well if you wish to define spirituality that way then fine,science deals with falsifying or confirming claims and until i can do one of these,i wish to remain skeptical

You should have been skeptical rather than going straight on refutation. It sound wield when you claim to refute what you culled from hearsay, movie show or read from cooked news which you have not personally experienced.

I told you initially that science have bounds....spirituality is infinite. Science can not explain everything. So instead of arguing about what you haven't experienced, go and experience it then come back for argument.

Mr.Rothstein :

I never said herbs doesn't include voodoo(what does that even mean)

what is this below?

Mr.Rothstein :

herbal medicine is not voodoo or witchcraft.

Mr.Rothstein :

i said herbal healing is as natural as anything we know,the fact that the native doctors says some words doesn't make it anymore supernatural.

What is naturalistic explanation for incision, ritual, sacrifices, chanting (incantation) and spell?

Mr.Rothstein :

you don't believe in the christian god,so does the fact that a priest says the words of consecration over waivers prove to you that it is indeed divine?these are just signatures of different believe systems.

Divinity and sacred in science world is SUPER.

I dont believe in anthropomorphic Gods.

Mr.Rothstein :

Again i said herbs is a natural process,it's just you that chose to give it a supernatural appeal,am sure if people like abraham should see a jet,there's no way anyone could convince him that's not something supernatural,these are all subjective experience

I am not saying herbs medicine doesn't have natural process. Base on what you quoted there, I was writing about voodoo which mean manipulating energies and natural forces.

Mr.Rothstein :

Dude what are you even saying?a whole bunch of pseudoscience again

calm down and answer my question.

Local doctors use incantation, rituals, sacrifices, spells and fetish tools....are these science (pseudo) too?

Explain how a spell is science or how ritual is science pls.

Mr.Rothstein :

that's right and until these claims can be put to the test,on repeated trials,objective observation,then i can believe but for now i don't think so.

I am not asking you to believe. I asked you to know what you talking about.

This claim can be put to test on repeated trials and objective observation.......just face it or challenge those that made a claim.

Mr.Rothstein :

btw james randi has a million dollar prize for anyone that can demonstrate any supernatural claim and pass through his rigorous tests,so far no one has passed,i think that says alot

Randi is vague and not realistic from the way I view it. You shouldn't tell us about it because we already know.

- I will have to fly from Nigeria to LA with an application to be submitted in a mailbox

- I will fly back to Nigeria and have to wait for three months before am replied.

- Another months for verification.

- Test....this is not the real exam.

And many other long process that involve flying in and out of US.

Can you sponsor it? Can you bring them to Nigeria?
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 03, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Alright, I understand mate.

The bold is making the whole discussion funny. And it seem you are reading meaning to my statements. I guess everything I wrote are simple.

Here is your error mate. Paranormal, extraordinary and supernatural is a term used for a phenomenon.

Hypothesis and Conjecture is a term used for proposition of a phenomenon. You see the differences?

A conjecture typically refers to a statement you are making that is unproven or a proposition that is unproven while a Hypothesis an educated guess some even call it a scientific guess which tries to explain a phenomenon. It is a proposed explanation or a a tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences for a phenomenon.

The phenomenon on it own can stand either as normal, extraordinary, paranormal or supernatural.

You should have been skeptical rather than going straight on refutation. It sound wield when you claim to refute what you culled through hearsay, movie show or read from cooked news which you have not personally experienced.

I told you initially that science have bounds....spirituality is infinite. Science can not explain everything. So instead of arguing about what you haven't experienced, go and experience it then come back for argument.

what is this below?

What is natural in incision, ritual, sacrifices, chanting (incantation) and spell?

Divinity and sacred in science world is SUPER.

I dont believe in anthropomorphic Gods.

I am not saying herbs medicine doesn't have natural process. Base on what you quoted there, I was writing about voodoo which mean manipulating energies and natural forces.

calm down and answer my question.

Local doctors use incantation, rituals, sacrifices, spells and fetish tools....are these science (pseudo) too?

Explain how a spell is science or how ritual is science pls.

I am not asking you to believe. I asked you to know what you talking about.

This claim can be put to test on repeated trials and objective observation.......just face it or challenge those that made a claim.

Randi is vague and not realistic from the way I view it. You shouldn't tell us about it because we already know.

- I will have to fly from Nigeria to LA with an application to be submitted in a mailbox

- I will fly back to Nigeria and have to wait for three months before am replied.

- Another months for verification.

- Test....this is not the real exam.

And many other long process that involve flying in and out of US.

Can you sponsor it? Can you bring them to Nigeria?
i was typing with my phone and was a bit in a hurry.ok what i meant by saying hypothesis is this;you see an event that you can't explain and you call it a paranormal activity,what am saying is that is just your own hypothesis,another person who sees it another way might not necessarily call it paranormal and as such it is somewhat dogmatic to stamp it as paranormal since it is open to subjective views from different people i.e ''hypothesis'' get it?and i am able to refute such claims without necessarily experiencing it because i've never met anyone that has admitted to have had any experience of anything of the sort without shaky details.btw you said spirituality is the foundation of science and now you seem to be making a distinction between the two as one being finite and the other infinite(whatever that means)so i think you still haven't settled for what you wish to call spiritual or non spiritual,what is special about saying a few incantations?nothing,catholic priests say that too when consecrating communion yet you don't take them seriously.i never said spells or incantations are science,i said these are just signatures of different believe systems.priests speak latin too,i guess you could call that spell or incantation too?dude i really don't wish to continue in this pointless argument.am typing with my phone,but i would like to ask you,if these claims are true then why do we have subjective experience of it?especially in thirdworld countries,why do we not see or even hear of this in developed societies where these claims can be easily tested?are ''thirdworlders'' so close to the 'truth' behind nature?closer than everyone else?i may not have experienced any of these claims(maybe because theres nothing to experience)but what about those who have investigated?people like mazaje on this forum?will you then say perhaps you're wrong or maybe he's telling lies?do you then see that there really is no way of convincing you just by mere experience or lack of?
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:48pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:

i was typing with my phone and was a bit in a hurry.ok what i meant by saying hypothesis is this;you see an event that you can't explain and you call it a paranormal activity,what am saying is that is just your own hypothesis,another person who sees it another way might not necessarily call it paranormal and as such it is somewhat dogmatic to stamp it as paranormal since it is open to subjective views from different people i.e ''hypothesis'' get it?

Hypothesis is not an event. It is a propose explanation of an event or phenomenon. The unexplanable event and a phenomenon which is not having scientifical explanation is supernatural. I went further saying that when there is explanation, it becomes normal and add up to knowledge. How many times should I repeat this?

Some years back, people believe rain is a supernatural droplet....now that there is explanation, it becomes normal phenomenon.

Mr.Rothstein:

and i am able to refute such claims without necessarily experiencing it because i've never met anyone that has admitted to have had any experience of anything of the sort without shaky details.

How could you have refuted me if I claimed am 50years old? Note you not having contacts with me

How can you debunk me if I claim 17+13=210 if you dont know arithmetic?

How can you denounce supernatural claim when you haven't experience or it haven't happened before you? You cant propose it false or truth until you experience it.

Mr.Rothstein:

btw you said spirituality is the foundation of science and now you seem to be making a distinction between the two as one being finite and the other infinite(whatever that means)so i think you still haven't settled for what you wish to call spiritual or non spiritual

The wood the carpenter used in his workshop is from the sawmill. Sawmill is not only compatible with forest, the profound source of sawmill material is forest.

Apply that to spirituality and science.

Mr.Rothstein:

what is special about saying a few incantations?nothing,catholic priests say that too when consecrating communion yet you don't take them seriously.i never said spells or incantations are science,i said these are just signatures of different believe systems.priests speak latin too,i guess you could call that spell or incantation too?

Spell and incantation are not a latin language. I am suspecting you are not a nigerian.....what is this you are writing? Lol

I now conclude you deduce your refutes from what you saw on movies and hearsay. Spell and incantation are normal languages spoken daily. And it works fine.

What is the alternate for incision in catholic church?

Lastly spell or incantation isn't signatory......it is spiritual voice command prompt. Like when you command a voice recognition machine.

Mr.Rothstein:

dude i really don't wish to continue in this pointless argument.am typing with my phone,

am using phone too.

Mr.Rothstein:

but i would like to ask you,if these claims are true then why do we have subjective experience of it?especially in thirdworld countries,why do we not see or even hear of this in developed societies where these claims can be easily tested?are ''thirdworlders'' so close to the 'truth' behind nature?closer than everyone else?

Do you know who wiccan (witch) is? They are everywhere in the developed countries. Maybe you were brought up inside gate. This is internet world, hook up with people.

Wicca mean the 'wise one'. Wicca is a cult

Babalawo are now in europe..... Babalawo mean 'father who mastered esoterism'. They belong to awo (cult)

Does what happen in frat group revealed to public? Why is it that coca-cola recipe is kept secret? Why is it that white house original survey map are hidden?

You have to go there and experience it anywhere in the world though I know about western Nigeria. Goodluck as you search for new experience. Until then you can neither know or contact it nor debunk or refute it.

Mr.Rothstein:

i may not have experienced any of these claims(maybe because theres nothing to experience)but what about those who have investigated?people like mazaje on this forum?will you then say perhaps you're wrong or maybe he's telling lies?do you then see that there really is no way of convincing you just by mere experience or lack of?

I was the one that challenged mazaje. And till now, he haven't show up for testing bullet proof charm out. I look forward to see him showing for the challenge though. Ghostofsparta on the other hand challenged atheists on this forum but non picked it up. So what else should we do? Do you want me to drag them or take the show to their room? I am not forcing anybody.......everyone is free to defend their position from what could pull it down.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Ranchhoddas: 11:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
that's right and until these claims can be put to the test,on repeated trials,objective observation,then i can believe but for now i don't think so.btw james randi has a million dollar prize for anyone that can demonstrate any supernatural claim and pass through his rigorous tests,so far no one has passed,i think that says alot
the james randi foundation should come and open a branch in nigeria...they'll go broke after 3days
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 04, 2013
Ranchhoddas: the james randi foundation should come and open a branch in nigeria...they'll go broke after 3days
i think am not being clear and you are taking advantage of that,i am aware hypothesis is not an event but that wasn't the context i was using it in.am using the word ''paranormal'' as a perspective through which you view an event,i said if something you don't understand happens,you call it ''paranormal'' yet someone else calls it something else but these two opinions are just hypothesis which stems from the perspective these two parties hold and as such non is more valid than the other until the truth or the matter is discovered.i hope that's clear.i won't ofcourse try to debunk you when you say you're 50years old because in our experience that isin't an extraordinary claim(except we shared the same life span with a mosquito) but when you say something like ''i saw a man change into a cat'',now in our daily experience,that is an extraordinary claim and based on that,it is easy to dismiss such claims because of the 1)subjective nature of the experience 2)wild claims without sufficient prove,it is not enough to say it happened and expect everyone to believe you.i have not had any experience of that sort but those who claim to have had always end up giving themselves up when i try to go into details,so till i experience it.i'll continue to rely on my power of reason to debunk it.and i never said spell is latin or whatever,i was trying to compare a native doctor to a catholic priest who also makes his own ''incantations'' in latin during consecration and how that does not prove that whatever he's doing is anymore supernatural than what a native doctor does.am getting a headache explaining myself over and over,honestly the way you talk of science,an informed person might think you know what you're talking about,when you use science and decorate it in the way that suits your purpose then that is pseudointellectualism.but it all boils down to experience and until and until it can be objectively tested and experienced and verified,theres no reason to take such claims seriously.btw your ''carpenter wood and sawmill analogy'' is a non sequitur but am tired of going round in circles on this issue
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 04, 2013
@ranch sorry my above comment is directed to folykaze
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:08am On Dec 04, 2013
Ranchhoddas: the james randi foundation should come and open a branch in nigeria...they'll go broke after 3days

James Randi foundation is a dishonest organisation which seeks nothing but popularism.

http://www.rense.com/general50/james.htm

http://voices.yahoo.com/exposing-unfair-truth-james-randi-1000000-120038.html?cat=17
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:13am On Dec 04, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
i think am not being clear and you are taking advantage of that,i am aware hypothesis is not an event but that wasn't the context i was using it in.am using the word ''paranormal'' as a perspective through which you view an event,i said if something you don't understand happens,you call it ''paranormal'' yet someone else calls it something else but these two opinions are just hypothesis which stems from the perspective these two parties hold and as such non is more valid than the other until the truth or the matter is discovered.i hope that's clear.i won't ofcourse try to debunk you when you say you're 50years old because in our experience that isin't an extraordinary claim(except we shared the same life span with a mosquito) but when you say something like ''i saw a man change into a cat'',now in our daily experience,that is an extraordinary claim and based on that,it is easy to dismiss such claims because of the 1)subjective nature of the experience 2)wild claims without sufficient prove,it is not enough to say it happened and expect everyone to believe you.i have not had any experience of that sort but those who claim to have had always end up giving themselves up when i try to go into details,so till i experience it.i'll continue to rely on my power of reason to debunk it.and i never said spell is latin or whatever,i was trying to compare a native doctor to a catholic priest who also makes his own ''incantations'' in latin during consecration and how that does not prove that whatever he's doing is anymore supernatural than what a native doctor does.am getting a headache explaining myself over and over,honestly the way you talk of science,an informed person might think you know what you're talking about,when you use science and decorate it in the way that suits your purpose then that is pseudointellectualism.but it all boils down to experience and until and until it can be objectively tested and experienced and verified,theres no reason to take such claims seriously.btw your ''carpenter wood and sawmill analogy'' is a non sequitur but am tired of going round in circles on this issue

You already made up your mind. What other say would be pseudo-intellectualism or junk.

Try again and reread what i wrote there. You get some wrong and you misapplied others. The main point here is go and experience supernatural claim or challenge those that make a claim. Cheers
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by leenu11: 8:17am On Dec 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Experience alone can decide on truth..... Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world: all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

OP we are the same in skeptism. When I asked a babalawo to explain Ifa to me, he only gave me same old stories I had from people. I told him am not satisfied and he challenged me to visit Igbodu where I can experience it and decipher meaning to it in my own understanding and consciousness. That mean words cant explain everythiing. Though since am still living on my parents, I cant go that far with the old man but am sure to when am alone in the future.

Personally to me, what we call supernatural is something we cant explain now or which doesnt have explaination as at present. So I still wonder how you will explain what you dont understand. Nothing is supernatural, everything in nature is super enough. When there are explaination, everything become normal and add up to knowledge.

I would have taken you on experimentation but it you seem you are close minded and only want to argue. I am not on for that.....I walk to the stream and do what I got to do, I dont argue if it compose of so so so and so hydrogen or oxygen. You were arguing on human turning to cat, why cant you start from the simple herb and medicine concortion? Why cant you walk toward those toothless how papa in the village and ask him the chemical component in herbs, leaves and local medicine? I can proudly say my right hand broke in two places when I was in secondary school. My dad moved me to this local orthopaedic clinic. It was dirty and what suprised me is that no tangible tool there than the woman clothless bed and black pots. Nothing like medical equipments to classified it as a clinic. It was my dad that bought the tools used on the hand. And what is it....calabash, some herbs, a fowl, some coin money (10 kobo and one thing they called money with hole in the middle....this cost like 1k each) and some other fetish things. My mum wrapper were torn to make bandage. The old woman did her work and what marvel me today is that she broke the two arm of the fowl, treated it with same treatment on me and said when the chicken healed, my hand would be intact. I was there for two weeks and behold, my hand was ok though still had some pains and cant handle things. I was discharged and had to report to her daily for check up. Now is it the old woman that hardly can write her name you want around to give you logical explaination of what she did? I dont even believe she can explain the relationship between me and hen or what coin and herbs which i ate some as concortion and rest applied on my hand. My hand is here for verification. And am sure you cant know anything happen to it unless I tell you or show you traces. The point is are herbs working or it not because it not explainable?

I agreed there are magic and tricks. I have watched those thing live....i mean right before my two eye and not on tv screen. A critical example is water in a basket. I verified it and confirmed there was nylon in it. Do I have to ask common street tout to give me logical analysis on what he himself doesn't understand but do as fun? An aboki guy taught me and a friend how to eat razor....now my friend can eat it but i can never try such a thing... ....is it aboki you want around to give you rational points why the blade didn't cut him?

Even the great scientist I know make critical observation. They ask questions for furthering understanding not for argument sake or cheap talk. So what they do is experiment and test. Go there where you can find chance to experience or challenge those that made a claim about this. Thats where your answer lied. If you want argument on nairaland (cuz supernatural talk pool more replies) then you can go on endlessly as you wish without any result. I wrote something on bullet proof charm and still working on it....because i fish out naturalistic hypothesis for it. You can go out there and experiment it then come out with whatever you got there. Cheers

For the record, human bones do heal by themselves(at least for younger people). That is why even in hospitals, the only thing done is to put the broken part in a cast, so as to restrict movement and allow the bone heal by themselves. All the charade the "woman" performed was to mystify the whole process and justify her pay and respect.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Ranchhoddas: 8:22am On Dec 04, 2013
leenu11:

For the record, human bones do heal by themselves(at least for younger people). That is why even in hospitals, the only thing done is to put the broken part in a cast, so as to restrict movement and allow the bone heal by themselves. All the charade the "woman" performed was to mystify the whole process and justify her pay and respect.
narrow-mindedness.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 04, 2013
leenu11:

Lol, o leenu gan
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by macof(m): 8:36am On Dec 04, 2013
leenu11:

U know how long it would take for the bones to heal themselves? Compared to the fast healing techniques of traditionalists
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by leenu11: 8:40am On Dec 04, 2013
Ranchhoddas: narrow-mindedness.
Kind Sir, how so?
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by leenu11: 8:53am On Dec 04, 2013
macof:

U know how long it would take for the bones to heal themselves? Compared to the fast healing techniques of traditionalists

How fast is the healing process of the traditionalists? Have u broken a bone before?
I broke an arm bone as a child and all it took was a plaster of paris cast and 4 weeks to heal up.

I'm not saying the technique of the traditionalists don't work, I'm saying there's nothing supernatural about it.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 04, 2013
leenu11:

How fast is the healing process of the traditionalists? Have u broken a bone before?
I broke an arm bone as a child and all it took was a plaster of paris cast and 4 weeks to heal up.

I'm not saying the technique of the traditionalists don't work, I'm saying there's nothing supernatural about it.
oh my god thank you,exactly what i've been saying,you don't expect her to just go straight to heal you without trying to prove to you that what shes doing is different,all those extra stuff like coins is just her signature and theres nothing wrong with adding a little spice to her art
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:42am On Dec 04, 2013
leenu11:

the bold is kinda funny. Bone heal itself without setting? Where do you get that from?

I think there's a difference between "heals itself" and "heals itself correctly".....when you get broken legs, sleep in your house. What happen to you next is your prob
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:45am On Dec 04, 2013
leenu11:

Can you tell us what supernatural is in your worldview?

And how does spell, incision and concortion accounts to scientific phenomenon? Maybe we now have lab where spells are cast.
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:54am On Dec 04, 2013
Mr.Rothstein:
oh my god thank you,exactly what i've been saying,you don't expect her to just go straight to heal you without trying to prove to you that what shes doing is different,all those extra stuff like coins is just her signature and theres nothing wrong with adding a little spice to her art

You can sit behind your computer and post anything. What are your reports on the experience I tasked you for? Dont tell me another story pls
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by leenu11: 1:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

the bold is kinda funny. Bone heal itself without setting? Where do you get that from?

I think there's a difference between "heals itself" and "heals itself correctly".....when you get broken legs, sleep in your house. What happen to you next is your prob

I coulda sworn I stated the broken bone will be put in a cast undecided .
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

And how does spell, incision and concortion accounts to scientific phenomenon? Maybe we now have lab where spells are cast.
you see this same tired 'points' you keep bringing up and keep getting told that there really isin't anything supernatural about herbal healing,'herbs' or 100% organic medicine is an art that takes time to master and yes those who practice it should be respected for that,but that does not mean it is ''supernatural''.what you call 'spell' or incantation is simply a trademark or herbal art,its what makes it unique just like buddhist monks chant before meditating,its their signature.do you see anything supernatural in catholicism because the priest recites or chants latin while consecrating the bread and wine?again its an issue of signature,the rest is normal.this thread is taking too much unnecessary energy because i have to keep repeating myself
Re: A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

you see this same tired 'points' you keep bringing up and keep getting told that there really isin't anything supernatural about herbal healing,'herbs' or 100% organic medicine is an art that takes time to master and yes those who practice it should be respected for that,but that does not mean it is ''supernatural''.what you call 'spell' or incantation is simply a trademark in herbal medicine,its what makes it unique just like buddhist monks chant before meditating,its their signature.do you see anything supernatural in catholicism because the priest recites or chants latin while consecrating the bread and wine?again its an issue of signature,the rest is normal.this thread is taking too much unnecessary energy because i have to keep repeating myself

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mary Apparition- Confirming Our Election Part 3 / Meet Bill Gate The Agnostic PLUS His Religious View - A MUST READ FOR CHRISTIANS / Does The Etisalat Logo Have Anything To Do With The 'eye In The Pyramid Satanic'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 224
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.