Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (42965 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village, it is a taboo to browse wt mtn grin

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ceeethru(m): 9:34am On Dec 04, 2013
d day my wife slip anoda man outsid me, few days time she go die lik fowl.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by fruityjojo(f): 9:34am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village hmm its a taboo 2 sit on top of a mortal,
A taboo for two people walking 2gether 2 put sm1 coming from d opposite direction at d center! cheesy,
A taboo 4 a man 2 eat his wife's food after suspecting her of infidelity seen abt 3 men dead cos of dis & sum sickk untill d confession of d woman!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Gistarena(m): 9:38am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village it is a cultural taboo to sleep with you cousin or any of ur relation even the person that is from the same kindred
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Polio: 9:38am On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky: Nigeria has a lot of cultural and traditional beliefs and taboos. Some are actively practiced while others are dormant and are not necessarily practiced presently.

•For example in the Ibibio tribe using the left hand actively is a form of insult and seen as a form of negativity ,such as using the left hand to give or accept something and even using the left hand to eat.

• In the past, Ladies esp the pregnant women were not allow to look into Masquerade in the face otherwise she will born a baby that resembles Masquerade. but now adays U will find ladies taking a photo shot with the Masquerade grin grin

The taboos are not the same, they vary in ethnicity. Here are some examples:

•In the Eke-Idemilli area of the Ibo land, its a taboo to kill any form of snake.

So what will happen if i kill a snake? undecided

Ridiculous taboo!!!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by condralbede(m): 9:55am On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky: grin grin abeg which village?
kifuki land!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by drnoel: 10:13am On Dec 04, 2013
o'boy:
idemili people kill any type of snake except python

which idemili people are we talking about here cos there are more than 4 -5 idemili tribes in both Anambra and Imo as far as I can remember
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by drnoel: 10:17am On Dec 04, 2013
Polio:

So what will happen if i kill a snake? undecided

Ridiculous taboo!!!
Oh ma broda u don´t want to go there. Its is an abomination of the Land. They say iru go ala if u kill a python. Its means u have killed one of the ancestors again and u must bury him again. So u bury the python like a human being. If u are unlucky and the elders decide the python was an important chief in his life time, that one na wahala. It means u will have to do a large burial ceremony for the whole village. Pls don´t even go their.

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by drnoel: 10:18am On Dec 04, 2013
fruityjojo: In my village hmm its a taboo 2 sit on top of a mortal,
A taboo for two people walking 2gether 2 put sm1 coming from d opposite direction at d center! cheesy,
A taboo 4 a man 2 eat his wife's food after suspecting her of infidelity seen abt 3 men dead cos of dis & sum sickk untill d confession of d woman!
Yes this is common in the delta region. I know of this one.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by battyman(m): 10:20am On Dec 04, 2013
observer2020: [color=#000099][/color]In My town of Umudioka in Dunukofia LGA of Anambra state,it is a taboo to friend or have sex wit a girl that is from the[b] same village[/b] wit u.

Also it is a taboo to sweep ur house in the night,even if u want to sweep the rubbish must remain in the room till morning.

i think you got it wrong, it's a girl from the same kindred with u. I'm also from the same area.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by drnoel: 10:20am On Dec 04, 2013
miss.terious:
We don't eat snails in my village
This is also delta
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by shaniqueK1(f): 10:20am On Dec 04, 2013
In primitive Tiv society it was taboo for a female to cross over the spot where a dog died. If she did cross it then she risked being barren for the rest of her life except by the intervention of the medicine man. This belief and cultural taboo is still on in most Tiv communities across Tiv land.

It's was also taboo to whistle in the night.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by vanguard1(m): 10:21am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village, its a taboo to kill a lion, Instead we use them as pets.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by debetmx(m): 10:23am On Dec 04, 2013
ngozievergreen: I heard its a taboo in ikwerre land to have s.ex on the floor.

Are you then supposed to have se.x in the air?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by eme40rald(f): 10:26am On Dec 04, 2013
speeka: I am from Edo state, in ma village it is a taboo for married couple to sleep in opposite direction to each other
such couples are not allow to marry again, that is separation is the answer.

2. in my village a married woman must not have sex with another man, the children will start dieing if she does not confess.
wat part of edo state please?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Shinatu: 10:28am On Dec 04, 2013
I can see that across most Nigerian cultures, one set of people remain the victims Women!

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by konn: 10:31am On Dec 04, 2013
in my place its a taboo for a married woman to go and sleep with another man who is not her hubby if she does she will run mad
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Teespice(f): 10:32am On Dec 04, 2013
jay bee:
What's the name of this village make i kuku take advantage of the tradition.
I'm going to be saving bucket load on bride price
Yippeeeeee

o serious.

at least when you show small swag and do effizy, dem girls go fall yakata.

cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by eme40rald(f): 10:33am On Dec 04, 2013
In my village:
1.it's a taboo to keep yams inside the house
2. it's a taboo to look in the mirror at night.
3. it's a taboo to sweep the floor at night.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by battyman(m): 10:34am On Dec 04, 2013
In my town, Abba, Anambra state, it is a taboo to eat python or tortoise. There are some superstitious beliefs attached to that. But I think the logical reasoning behind this is that man has to work for his food. these two animals can neither run nor defend their selves, so why eat where you don't work.
Staring at the world from a rear view.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by michealade(m): 10:43am On Dec 04, 2013
In idogun area of ondo state..itzz a taboo for any of their child to do money ritual...coz it wont be successful nd he/she wud lose dia life in d process..im not from dere tho
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by jnrbayano(m): 10:44am On Dec 04, 2013
miss.terious:
We don't eat snails in my village
Pls show me the way to your Village, am coming right away to pick them all.grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by hardbody: 10:46am On Dec 04, 2013
pendusky: Nigeria has a lot of cultural and traditional beliefs and taboos. Some are actively practiced while others are dormant and are not necessarily practiced presently.

•For example in the Ibibio tribe using the left hand actively is a form of insult and seen as a form of negativity ,such as using the left hand to give or accept something and even using the left hand to eat.

• In the past, Ladies esp the pregnant women were not allow to look into Masquerade in the face otherwise she will born a baby that resembles Masquerade. but now adays U will find ladies taking a photo shot with the Masquerade grin grin

•In the Eke-Idemilli area of the Ibo land, its a taboo to kill any form of snake.

•The Akwa people do not allow the killing on their monkeys, although this is not widely practiced in ibo land generally.

•Suicide in some parts of ibo land also is a taboo, and the family would be the ones to pay the penalty if anyone commits suicide.

•In some areas of Idoma land, when the king dies, its a taboo to mourn at the funeral.

•In some parts of Yoruba land , its a taboo for pregnant women to go near a corpse.

•In some parts of Benin, displaying palm fruits in public is a taboo , rumors have it that one could even loose his or her head.

•Some parts of ibo land forbids eating of yam in the month of August.

•In some parts of Urhobo Delta State, cutting of fire wood at night when the moon is full is forbidden, rumors have it that such a person could become a statue.

All these myths are just a traditional mans theory to find some meaning to existence. A scientist would call it typical hypothesis that can never be proved. This must have been created when man had total fear of the unknown and still tried to understand the universe.

Share any cultural taboo you know about in Nigeria here;

Bros, the scientist might call them hypothesis that can never be proved, but where i come from in Arochukwu, there is a 'mythical reality' that if a married woman screws outside her marriage and the husband gets to know about it, the husband should forthwith desist from eating anything cooked by that woman, the day he does, several negative things will start happening to him (as warning signs to put him on enquiry)and this will eventually culminate in his death if nothing is done to the woman. If a relative of the woman is aware and does not disclose this infamy, that relative will positively die. I do not need scientific proof of this, it has happened severally to my knowledge. I called it mythical reality because, while it sounds like a myth, it has been happening and continues to happen.

Again i know that we do not marry on a particular market day 'Nkwo' and any lady that deserts the husbands house on an Nkwo market day never comes back to that home (she will do that deliberately if she doesn't ever want to come back anywhere) and it is clear to both sides that the marriage has packed up irretrievably.

there are several other myths, breaking of kolanut in a particular manner and the sharing pattern, especially where you have only one kolanut and more than 20 people representing various communities, including even states. They bring in an intrigue that will make taht single kolanut go round.

I think our forefathers had good reasons in doing all those things then, which is why we are not letting our custom die.

Proudly AroMan-TIC

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by michealade(m): 10:49am On Dec 04, 2013
I also heard itz a taboo in all nigerian villages dat if u finally made it in life..probably u bought a car,u shouldnt take it to your village else all dose winch go kill you
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by drnoel: 10:55am On Dec 04, 2013
What of Taboo about whistling at night, relatives used to tell us as kids that it call Eze mmuoa (the king of spirits)
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by ogwomba(m): 11:02am On Dec 04, 2013
IAMBREEZY: Smoking and drinking of alcoholkisskisskisskisskisskiss

do you guys smoke alcohol? jst asking oh!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by GentleFrank(m): 11:02am On Dec 04, 2013
Nice thread !
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by maskid(m): 11:04am On Dec 04, 2013

•The Akwa people do not allow the killing on their monkeys, although this is not widely practiced in ibo land generally.

•Suicide in some parts of ibo land also is a taboo, and the family would be the ones to pay the penalty if anyone commits suicide.

•In some areas of Idoma land, when the king dies, its a taboo to mourn at the funeral.

•In some parts of Yoruba land , its a taboo for pregnant women to go near a corpse.

•In some parts of Benin, displaying palm fruits in public is a taboo , rumors have it that one could even loose his or her head.

•In some parts of Urhobo Delta State, cutting of fire wood at night when the moon is full is forbidden, rumors have it that such a person could become a statue.

All these myths are just a traditional mans theory to find some meaning to existence. A scientist would call it typical hypothesis that can never be proved. This must have been created when man had total fear of the unknown and still tried to understand the universe.

it is a taboo in my VILLAGE (Ikeduru) to smile when a married woman touches u.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 04, 2013
In some part of Orlu in Imo state, if a married lady have sex with another man who isn't her husband, she will run mad or start acting insane until she confesses and a ritual is performed to cleanse her...that's according to my friend who comes from there...his uncle's wife was a victim last year.

In my own community, if an indigene engages in money ritual, he will surely die or run mad. If an indigene engages in armed robbery, he must be caught....but Christianity is changing things nowadays...thank God for Jesus Christsmiley
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by maskid(m): 11:05am On Dec 04, 2013

it is a taboo in my VILLAGE to smile when a married woman touches u.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by maskid(m): 11:11am On Dec 04, 2013

in AKURE it is a taboo to do any cardiovascular execise under the rain.!!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Abdogood(m): 11:14am On Dec 04, 2013
Adeoba10: In my village, it is a taboo to make night call with MTN

Na there u go fear Village nau.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Say "i Miss You" In Yoruba? Plz Help Me! / Some "Super-lovely" And Hilarious Yoruba Proverbs You Would Love To Know / Ilu Aje (The Land Of The Wizard)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.