Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,271 members, 7,954,058 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:39 AM

What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (43805 Views)

10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do) / What Are The Taboos In Your Villages? / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Polio: 11:15am On Dec 04, 2013
drnoel:
Oh ma broda u don´t want to go there. Its is an abomination of the Land. They say iru go ala if u kill a python. Its means u have killed one of the ancestors again and u must bury him again. So u bury the python like a human being. If u are unlucky and the elders decide the python was an important chief in his life time, that one na wahala. It means u will have to do a large burial ceremony for the whole village. Pls don´t even go their.

Nonsense. I will go there, kill snakes for fun and walk away.... Nothing will happen!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Joshkeyz(m): 11:23am On Dec 04, 2013
In my place,women dont wistle,u dnt pound yam at night,u dnt cut yr nails at night,u must open put cover b4 u drop it from d fire nd many more jare
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by pendusky(m): 11:23am On Dec 04, 2013
Tablet Man: Hey mr op, modify that ur ibo to igbo, and modify that ur akwa to awka... Awka people don't eat or kill monkey because it is the messenger of the gods. If u go to obi imo awka shrine, u will see some monkeys there. They use it whenever they want to celebrate their imo awka festival. And once again modify that ur Eke-idemili by removing the Eke in it. Eke means python, ƧƟ people call their python eke-idemili which means idemili python( idemili is a town at anambra state)

Op I will contribute more to ur story if u modify ur post

done sire!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by UD101(m): 11:27am On Dec 04, 2013
o'boy:
idemili people kill any type of snake except python

In Ihiala n Nnewi parts of Anambra, we dnt kill d snakes known as "Eke". They r believed 2 b our fore fathers or thier representatives, mostly seen @ traditional weddings 2wards evenings or nights. If U happen 2 kill it, u must bury it like Human.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by debetmx(m): 11:28am On Dec 04, 2013
Polio:

Nonsense. I will go there, kill snakes for fun and walk away.... Nothing will happen!

Omo ri Ogun onpe efo (A small child sees jazz, he is calling it vegetable).

I pity you.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by pendusky(m): 11:30am On Dec 04, 2013
maskid:

i AKURE it is a taboo to do any cardiovascular execise under the rain.!!

grin grin wetin man no go see... This is serious
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by pendusky(m): 11:31am On Dec 04, 2013
maskid:

it is a taboo in my VILLAGE (Ikeduru) to smile when a married woman touches u.

hehehehehehe grin grin grin grin grin grin grin me nko wer like to smile, that means they for banish me from the village tire shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by pendusky(m): 11:39am On Dec 04, 2013
hardbody:

Bros, the scientist might call them hypothesis that can never be proved, but where i come from in Arochukwu, there is a 'mythical reality' that[b] if a married woman screws outside her marriage and the husband gets to know about it, the husband should forthwith desist from eating anything cooked by that woman, the day he does, several negative things will start happening to him[/b] (as warning signs to put him on enquiry)and this will eventually culminate in his death if nothing is done to the woman.

interesting.. but does this happens to ur villagers living in ur village or/and does this happens to anybody from the village living in a foreign land?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by pendusky(m): 11:43am On Dec 04, 2013
UD101:

In Ihiala n Nnewi parts of Anambra, we dnt kill d snakes known as "Eke". They r believed 2 b our fore fathers or thier representatives, mostly seen @ traditional weddings 2wards evenings or nights. If U happen 2 kill it, u must bury it like Human.
Jezz!! this is serious!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by brushesz: 11:50am On Dec 04, 2013
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by macof(m): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2013
It's a taboo for Obatala devotees to drink Alcohol Or palm wine

It a taboo to kill humans for rituals in yorubaland

It's a taboo for pregnant woman to be around masquerades

It's a taboo to kill chameleon in the Forest

In most parts(if not all) it's a taboo for children to greet their elders without bowing

1 Like

Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2013
I love this thread!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by extremelygolden: 11:56am On Dec 04, 2013
fruityjojo: In my village hmm its a taboo 2 sit on top of a mortal,
A taboo for two people walking 2gether 2 put sm1 coming from d opposite direction at d center! cheesy,
A taboo 4 a man 2 eat his wife's food after suspecting her of infidelity seen abt 3 men dead cos of dis & sum sickk untill d confession of d woman!

Sister, are you from Benue State?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Pistolx(m): 11:59am On Dec 04, 2013
here in kaduna state,dy said itz a taboo 2 sweep at nyt,bt i swip at nyt though,
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by badmeat(m): 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2013
ngozievergreen: I heard its a taboo in ikwerre land to have s.ex on the floor.
and also in the farm!are u ikwerre?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Amaechina(m): 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2013
[quote author=Tablet Man]Hey mr op, modify that ur ibo to igbo, and modify that ur akwa to awka... Awka people don't eat or kill monkey because it is the messenger of the gods. If u go to obi imo awka shrine, u will see some monkeys there. They use it whenever they want to celebrate their imo awka festival. And once again modify that ur Eke-idemili by removing the Eke in it. Eke means python, ƧƟ people call their python eke-idemili which means idemili python( idemili is a town at anambra state)

Idemili is not a town in Anambra but a local government area
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by onyeomaonyeoma(m): 12:17pm On Dec 04, 2013
It is a taboo for student to stay at home when there is no. Vacation
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by fruityjojo(f): 12:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
extremelygolden:

Sister, are you from Benue State?

No am from Edo State, Esan/Ishan, Ireukpen 2 be precise.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Dollycious(f): 12:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
[i][/i]
o'boy:
in the olden days,it was seen as the messenger of the gods,whenever it came to somebody house,they believe it brought message from the gods,my dad once told me that in those days whenevr a child is born the python come visiting and goes away after
but all these dont happen no more
[quote][/quote]it is a taboo to kill a green snake in TIV land
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by fydence: 12:38pm On Dec 04, 2013
Intelligentman:
He is correct but i don't think it's all Ikwerre. The place i know very well is a place called Ndele,as if you are going to Ahoda .
yeap ..Ndele for sure!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by fydence: 12:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
drnoel:
This is also delta
Delta is a big place,which part of delta?
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by RedCard1(m): 12:46pm On Dec 04, 2013
ngozievergreen: I heard its a taboo in ikwerre land to have s.ex on the floor.
yes, we forbid that.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by RedCard1(m): 12:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
Intelligentman:
He is correct but i don't think it's all Ikwerre. The place i know very well is a place called Ndele,as if you are going to Ahoda .
I'm from Ndele and we forbid a lot of things. We can't make love on the floor, in a car, boat, ship, air plane, hotel built in water, etc. The taboos are so many that I can't name them all. I regret being a native of that village. Juju plenty for there eh!
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by RedCard1(m): 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2013
fydence: yeap ..Ndele for sure!
so you know my village so well. We forbid many things but Elele forbids almost nothing.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Swiftlee(m): 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2013
Here;It is a taboo for Attah to behold a dead body, even if its his son or wife.. I have also heard that women on thier monthly circle can not touch a tree in case that tree would go barren! Many of those joor..though adonbilivdem grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by battyman(m): 1:35pm On Dec 04, 2013
In my town it's a taboo for a woman to climb a tree.
Imagine having a woman on top of a tree and men are standing around the tree; what a sight.
I believe our forefathers had good intents behind some of these taboo/don'ts but the problem is method of enforcement which are mostly superstitious.
i think this one and some others are meant to promote decency; then why not come clean about it instead of attributing to revelations of the gods.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by brosdoncome(m): 1:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
Teespice: In my village, its a taboo for any woman who is unmarried and has not yet done what is called "ikwa-ezi" to have sex or get pregnant. The moment she is caught, she is banished never to set foot there again.

Very archaic if you ask me.

How would they know if those unmarried ladies or women are still virgins? Is there any form of ritual being carried out every season in that village to ascertain those of them that have fallen short of glory...I mean those ones wey don shine KONGO? I dey find babe wey I go court so that I go marry her @ the end. Abeg inbox me grin
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Iambabaman(m): 1:49pm On Dec 04, 2013
current... it's a taboo for a woman to bath in a mans bathroom and like wise for a man to do same in a woman's bathroom
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by Frankenstein: 1:53pm On Dec 04, 2013
observer2020: [color=#000099][/color]In My town of Umudioka in Dunukofia LGA of Anambra state,it is a taboo to friend or have sex wit a girl that is from the same village wit u.

Also it is a taboo to sweep ur house in the night,even if u want to sweep the rubbish must remain in the room till morning.
Also the same thing in umudioka village in Awka.
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by drnoel: 2:38pm On Dec 04, 2013
Amaechina & Tablet Man:
Hey mr op, modify that ur ibo to igbo, and modify that ur akwa to awka... Awka people don't eat or kill monkey because it is the messenger of the gods. If u go to obi imo awka shrine, u will see some monkeys there. They use it whenever they want to celebrate their imo awka festival. And once again modify that ur Eke-idemili by removing the Eke in it. Eke means python, ƧƟ people call their python eke-idemili which means idemili python( idemili is a town at anambra state)

Pls for those that just decide to write what they are not sure about Idemili does not exist just in Anambra state but also in Imo (close to Orlu region) and I hear there is also an Idemili around abia (that one am not sure about)
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by macof(m): 2:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
Red_Card: I'm from Ndele and we forbid a lot of things. We can't make love on the floor, in a car, boat, ship, air plane, hotel built in water, etc. The taboos are so many that I can't name them all. I regret being a native of that village. Juju plenty for there eh!

Then kill urself and save urself the shame.

It's people like u that have problems but won't find solution
Useless bastard
Re: What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area by macof(m): 2:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
battyman: In my town it's a taboo for a woman to climb a tree.
Imagine having a woman on top of a tree and men are standing around the tree; what a sight.
I believe our forefathers had good intents behind some of these taboo/don'ts but the problem is method of enforcement which are mostly superstitious.
I think this one and some others are meant to promote decency; then why not come clean about it instead of attributing to revelations of the gods.

When Moses was making laws for the Jews did he come clean about it?

Didn't he claim Yahweh revealed them to him.

Pls stop ur hypocrisy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ahmad Muhammad Asha Is Dead! Emir Of Kaura Namoda Dies At 71 / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires / Shaheeda Sanusi Slapped A Boy And I Supported Her - Emir Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.