Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,396 members, 7,954,575 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:10 PM

Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies (9717 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Any Viable Investment For Intending Retiree With Little Or No Supervision / Stock Market Investment for Nigerian Youths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by edwill: 6:09pm On Dec 18, 2013
Oh thanks so much for ur response. I did not lodge the certificate with cscs. & both the certificate and the account has not been used for transactions. it was a friend I gave money to buy the shares for me but he relocated after getting the certificate for me. then a broker met me and told me of the need to get a cscs account I accepted and he opened it but when stocks dropped, I think he left the business & relocated. but I am trying to contact him through facebook. The address I see on the certificate is that of afribank registrars. pls is the ”account number“ I see on the certificate same as cscs account? Once again, thanks.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by astroboy94(m): 10:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pls can u help me with list brokers that will accept #10,000 for a start. And how can i contact them.thanks
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by FINMGR: 10:00am On Dec 19, 2013
edwill: Oh thanks so much for ur response. I did not lodge the certificate with cscs. & both the certificate and the account has not been used for transactions. it was a friend I gave money to buy the shares for me but he relocated after getting the certificate for me. then a broker met me and told me of the need to get a cscs account I accepted and he opened it but when stocks dropped, I think he left the business & relocated. but I am trying to contact him through facebook. The address I see on the certificate is that of afribank registrars. pls is the ”account number“ I see on the certificate same as cscs account? Once again, thanks.
no it is not the same.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 12:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
edwill: Oh thanks so much for ur response. I did not lodge the certificate with cscs. & both the certificate and the account has not been used for transactions. it was a friend I gave money to buy the shares for me but he relocated after getting the certificate for me. then a broker met me and told me of the need to get a cscs account I accepted and he opened it but when stocks dropped, I think he left the business & relocated. but I am trying to contact him through facebook. The address I see on the certificate is that of afribank registrars. pls is the ”account number“ I see on the certificate same as cscs account? Once again, thanks.
As you have not done any transaction with that CSCS number, better open another one with another broker.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 6:44pm On Dec 20, 2013
hello house, among these stocks: Ashaka cement, ABC, University press and RTbrisco, which can be considered best for medium term, say one year inverstment following their current close to year low prices.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by SWG1: 7:27pm On Dec 20, 2013
Heanry :
hello house, among these stocks: Ashaka cement, ABC, University press and RTbrisco, which can be considered best for medium term, say one year inverstment following their current close to year low prices.
Personally i have ABC in my portfolio (so no comment) and i am planning on boarding ashaka cement bus next yr cos of their fairly consistence dividend. UPL is a good illiquid stock with almost 10% consistent dividend payout. But there last quarter result was not attractive. Pls this is not a suggestion on the stock to buy, but for u to do ur own due diligence on the idea.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 8:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
SWG 1:
Personally i have ABC in my portfolio (so no comment) and i am planning on boarding ashaka cement bus next yr cos of their fairly consistence dividend. UPL is a good illiquid stock with almost 10% consistent dividend payout. But there last quarter result was not attractive. Pls this is not a suggestion on the stock to buy, but for u to do ur own due diligence on the idea.
Thank you sir. I think i will join ABC and Ashaka cement based on their current prices and fundaments, plus two otheir stocks that i find worthy cause i like diversifying my portfolio.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 8:26am On Dec 22, 2013
HONEYWELL FLOURMILL. This stock is good to buy. At the current price, short term and long term investors should take position.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Heanry(m): 11:56am On Dec 23, 2013
civilserva: HONEYWELL FLOURMILL. This stock is good to buy. At the current price, short term and long term investors should take position.
. Yes, it has already moved 4 percent this morning. Should we expect it to get to 5 naira soon? I learnt they a investing in a large expance of land in Imo state.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:40am On Dec 25, 2013
SEASON GREETINGS TO ALL
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 11:51am On Dec 25, 2013
STOCK TO WATCH
OANDO PLC
This stock is good to buy when the entry price Is 20 naira and below. At the completion of COP deal in 2014, its expected the price will rally to 60 naira by December 2014.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 26, 2013
Which Stock Broker has a better online platform between Meritrade, Investment One and BGL? I'm looking at going for one of these

I'm also looking to purchase Bonds, can anyone shed some light on the procedure?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by civilserva: 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
2ndOGA: Which Stock Broker has a better online platform between Meritrade, Investment One and BGL? I'm looking at going for one of these

I'm also looking to purchase Bonds, can anyone shed some light on the procedure?

I use only meritrade, their services are good. I don't know about others.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 8:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Stock-picking is a high-risk investment vehicle that should be held for long term purpose and that means 3-5 years or even more.
For an amateur that wants to play in that space this is my advice:
1)never buy shares because you have loose cash
2)never buy shares because others are doing that
3)Select industries you love to invest in and narrow down the companies under these industries that have proven track record of consistent growth, earnings and profit over a long period say 10-30 years. Calculate growth using CAGR formula.
4)Focus only on a few solid stocks,don't over diversify.
5)Study these companies by looking at their financials,business model and valuation. Pick the Quality ones.A simple valuation could be NAV=Net Asset/Outstanding Shares to give you the Book Value per share. There is also the multiples ratio valuation.
6)Buy only when you have done your analysis and sure the companies are growth stocks that are underpriced.

Ask your questions here.

3 Likes

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by kavey10(m): 11:15pm On Dec 27, 2013
Angelstartups: Stock-picking is a high-risk investment vehicle that should be held for long term purpose and that means 3-5 years or even more.
For an amateur that wants to play in that space this is my advice:
1)never buy shares because you have loose cash
2)never buy shares because others are doing that
3)Select industries you love to invest in and narrow down the companies under these industries that have proven track record of consistent growth, earnings and profit over a long period say 10-30 years. Calculate growth using CAGR formula.
4)Focus only on a few solid stocks,don't over diversify.
5)Study these companies by looking at their financials,business model and valuation. Pick the Quality ones.A simple valuation could be NAV=Net Asset/Outstanding Shares to give you the Book Value per share. There is also the multiples ratio valuation.
6)Buy only when you have done your analysis and sure the companies are growth stocks that are underpriced.

Ask your questions here.

Thank you, I would like you to expasiate on No. 5 and also what a CAGR Calculator is and how to go about it.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 1:24am On Dec 28, 2013
@kavey10,studying the financials mean looking at the financial reports of the companies you have selected to possibly buy to understand their fundamentals.This means the intrinsic value which can help project future earnings of the companies.Here you look at Topline growth,bottomline growth,earnings growth and dividend growth rate.You have to apply Present Value formula to value the projected future earnings for the next 5 years.
Business Model means how strong is the companies'market position?,is their business flexible to shrug off serious market risk?Like Smartphone coming to take major space of the Laptop market.
Valuation means is the price of the stock right to buy now or do you wait a while?Only buy when the price is right-undervalued by the market or just about the book value.Do this by using NAV method or multiples ratios.
CAGR=Compounded Annual Growth rate.
Its always better to use this for defined periods to understand how the companies have been growing y-o-y.
CAGR= (Present Value/Past Value)^(1/n-1) - 1, n is no.of years.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by kavey10(m): 8:42am On Dec 28, 2013
@Angelstartups, wow! Thanks for the breakdown, I seriously need some brushing up on these terminologies. Thanks once again.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 9:48am On Dec 28, 2013
@kavey10,you are welcome. My team will be sharing lots more on stock-picking particularly NSE on www.angelstartups.com.ng you can ask any questions and if you want to also invest in the Product Market,sign up as an investor for free.You will have access to many genuine startups.We offer free advisory service also.Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by choboking: 11:49am On Dec 28, 2013
Thanks to every1 here that has asked and answered questions on the topic, have learnt a great deal......I just have two questions to ask "how does 1 withdraw/cash in on dividend paid by the company?? Is it thru the CSCS account or ur personal bank account that the dividend will be paid into??

2) how does 1 knw a company that pays dividend?? Cos I knw not all companies do

Thanks a lot.....much love
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 12:14pm On Dec 28, 2013
@Choboking,
1)pick your e-dividend form from your broker,fill it and take to your bank for signature verification.Then return to your broker.Your dividend will be credited into your bank account.
2)Check newspapers like BusinessDay and look for Daily Stock Performance Reports,if its comprehensive it will contain dividend paid last and date paid for most companies.
Alternatively,go to the website of the companies,look for investor relations and download their most recent financial reports.There you will see dividends paid.
Some companies pay dividends twice in 1 year,most-once.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by kavey10(m): 5:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
Angelstartups: @kavey10,you are welcome. My team will be sharing lots more on stock-picking particularly NSE on www.angelstartups.com.ng you can ask any questions and if you want to also invest in the Product Market,sign up as an investor for free.You will have access to many genuine startups.We offer free advisory service also.Cheers.

Ok good, will definitely check it out. What area or should I say type of products do you intend investing in?
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 7:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
@kavey10, www.angelstartups.com.ng is a professional platform where investors connect with genuine ideas that are rated and approved by business experts.You sign up for free and search through the various ideas approved.From next year,registered members will have the privilege to see companies stocks on the NSE analysed and evaluated before they invest in any of them.All these and manymore for free.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by kavey10(m): 9:11pm On Dec 28, 2013
Angelstartups: @kavey10, www.angelstartups.com.ng is a professional platform where investors connect with genuine ideas that are rated and approved by business experts.You sign up for free and search through the various ideas approved.From next year,registered members will have the privilege to see companies stocks on the NSE analysed and evaluated before they invest in any of them.All these and manymore for free.

Thanks, but you've not answered my question. You talked about investing in the product market and I asked which ones, since, I believe, are consumer goods. Thank you.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 10:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
The product market is another name for the Real Sector where real commodities are traded.Consumer Goods is one of them.
Generally,if you are not investing in stocks or bonds (capital market) or money market,then you are investing in the real sector (service industry is under this also).So,Product Market is a generic name.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Theyjih: 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
@angelstartups good luck with the project.. that's one cool platform, so much yet to be offered .. keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 11:09pm On Dec 28, 2013
@Theyjih,thanks for the compliment.
Have you been able to sign up?
Investors will soon start to enjoy free stock market analysis,a group feature to interact and analyse proposals they are interested in and manymore.
Share this with friends,colleagues that may need it.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Theyjih: 11:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
yes
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by funkymeky: 11:38am On Dec 29, 2013
pls my mum nids help here...she bought dis eti shares since 2008 and she has bin issued her certificate since 2009.. but she doesn't have a broker and a cscs account ...she doesn't even know much abt d shares anymore... and she has not bin receiving d annual dividend for a past two years ...she is now tinkin of selling it off...pls wot can she do to sell it off or begin to receive dividend again?... how does stockbrokers operate and how much do they charge? can she b receiving d dividend again?... and lastly is d eti a good stock ?.. .pls u guys ve bin very helpful...I hope on you guys
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Angelstartups(f): 11:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
@funkymeky,I guess that's Ecobank right?take the certificate to the nearest Ecobank branch to make enquiries.They'd direct you to the registrar in charge of their stocks.There,they will clarify your concerns.Yes,she can start receiving dividends once its sorted at the registrar's.
Stockbrokers are charged with buying/selling of stocks,offer advice when necessary and for their professional service,they charge commissions ranging between 1-3% as the case may be.
Re: Stock Market Investment For The Amateur and Newbies by Xyge(m): 7:24am On Dec 30, 2013
civilserva: I Agriculture Sector, consider buying these two stocks, OKOMU OIL and PRESCO. Both are healthy companies with good fundamentals.
Hello Bro, where do i get the stocks from? I mean the Okomu Oil and the latter? Where and how do i go about buying these stocks.. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Binary Diary... / Which Lucrative Business Can I Start With 500k? / Information About Ishiba Development And Empowerment Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.