Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,664 members, 7,813,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1648) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3735161 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1645) (1646) (1647) (1648) (1649) (1650) (1651) ... (3830) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 9:29pm On Sep 26, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Birdbox was a pure psychological horror in that it had no real monsters, except for the ones that the characters created with their own minds. The monsters were mostly psychological. They only attacked the sane and the non-blind. It ended conclusively IMO.

Conversely, A Quite Place still has a story to tell. The monsters are very physical and real. I'd like to know where they came from, what they are... I'd like to know more. Don't you?

The Happening was a dumpster fire that shouldn't have happened at all.

Were they came from? they're most likely extraterrestrials, just like in Battle of Los Angeles & Edge of Tomorrow. Well to me, the plot seems quite obvious. Mum, Daughter, Son, will go on a killing spree & share the idea of how to kill the monsters with the rest of the few survivals. The origin story might probably take up 5% & the remaining 95% will be them survivals running around & killing the monsters with some casualties here & there. All in all, I just want to be wrong about the above, cause it'd be a big let down if they ruin the good memory I've about the movie.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 26, 2019
mekaprime:

Were they came from? they're most likely extraterrestrials, just like in Battle of Los Angeles & Edge of Tomorrow. Well to me, the plot seems quite obvious. Mum, Daughter, Son, will go on a killing spree & share the idea of how to kill the monsters with the rest of the few survivals. The origin story might probably take up 5% & the remaining 95% will be them survivals running around & killing the monsters with some casualties here & there. All in all, I just want to be wrong about the above, cause it'd be a big let down if they ruin the good memory I've about the movie.

The guy that wrote the first, also wrote the sequel, so it will have plot consistency, at the very least.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 9:36pm On Sep 26, 2019
Damfostopper:
Spider Man Far From Home.........

They kept talking about Tony Stark dead and Blip occurrence which seems to have a link with the last marvel movie "Avengers Endgame"

To avoid getting confused..... I had to go download Avengers Endgame..... and to understand the whole concept..... I had to Download The Avengers..... Avengers: Age of Ultron and Avengers Infinity War....and watch them with open mind

I start with watching The Avengers...... 7/10......

Avengers Ultron...... 7.5/10.......

Avengers Infinity War..... 9/10......

Avengers Endgame....... 8/10......

Then Spiderman Far From Home...... 6/10........Weak Villain ..... especially at the end.... Quantum returning back Stark glasses with ease.......

lol I guess the next title will be Spiderman : Falling in Love
dunno if it's just me but i'm not just a fan of these Tom Holland spiderman movies. OK movies but I don't just get the feel as if I'm watching a spiderman movie...
Tobey Maguire spiderman trilogy still remains the best imo.. even Andrew Garfield spiderman movies for all its faults felt independent..
This present spiderman movies feels too ironman-ish( dunno the right word to use)

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:
dunno if it's just me but i'm not just a fan of these Tom Holland spiderman movies. OK movies but I don't just get the feel as if I'm watching a spiderman movie...
Tom spiderman trilogy still remains the best imo.. even Andrew Garfield spiderman movies for all its faults felt independent..
This present spiderman movies feels too ironman-ish( dunno the right word to use)

The phrase you're looking for is fan-service.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 9:40pm On Sep 26, 2019
Singapore1:

i was afraid this part 4 won't live up to its predecessor but i was wowed by everything from A-Z. Pixar is good! one time i was hating on Disney over pixar not knowing Disney owns them

You're not alone in that light my brother. After downloading the movie, i was very much skeptic about seeing it, i thought it was going to flop, but men, am so glad it didn't. I enjoyed every bit of the movie & I've even archived it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 9:43pm On Sep 26, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

The guy that wrote the first, also wrote the sequel, so it will have plot consistency, at the very least.

Fair enough, am keeping my fingers crossed.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 9:46pm On Sep 26, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

The phrase you're looking for is fan-service.
Yeah......too much pandering to Tony Stark...
Spiderman is my favourite comic book character.....is it too much to ask for an somewhat independent movie without the whole iron man godfatherism?
Tobey Maguire spiderman 2 still remains the most accurate and enjoyable spiderman movie so far imo

5 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:

Spiderman is my favourite comic book character.....is it too much to ask for an somewhat independent movie without the whole iron man godfatherism?
Tobey Maguire spiderman 2 still remains the most accurate and enjoyable spiderman movie so far imo

Let's look at it this way:

Tobey Maguire was better at being Spider-Man than Tom Holland, whilst Tom Holland is better at being Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire.

5 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Damfostopper(m): 9:55pm On Sep 26, 2019
armadeo:

Wait you haven't seen the earlier avengers....

Ahhhhh!
lol man mustn't see everything
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 9:57pm On Sep 26, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Tobey Maguire was better at being Spider-Man than Tom Holland, whilst Tom Holland is better at being Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire.
Couldn't have said it better..
Tom Holland physically is an accurate representation of spiderman. I will give him that..
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Damfostopper(m): 9:57pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:
Tobey Maguire spiderman trilogy still remains the best imo.. even Andrew Garfield spiderman movies for all its faults felt independent..
lol I get it...... The Old Spider Man was okay for me and Amazing Spiderman too......

I didn't like Homecoming.... I deleted it halfway......
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 10:01pm On Sep 26, 2019
Damfostopper:
lol I get it...... The Old Spider Man was okay for me and Amazing Spiderman too......

I didn't like Homecoming.... I deleted it halfway......
We all know Peter is smart and some what genius but we still haven't seen his capabilities, why should Stark babysit him even after his death...
Even his web shooting surely Peter should be smart to have done it by himself.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 10:06pm On Sep 26, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

I agree with you on the above.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Damfostopper(m): 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:

We all know Peter is smart and some what genius but we still haven't seen his capabilities, why should Stark babysit him even after his death...
lol maybe they are planning on merging "Stark" iron Man with spider Man......something like Iron spider lol......
Spiderman movie should solely revolve around Peter Parker.... but that's not the case... seems it's inter-woven courtesy of Marvel

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 10:10pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:

Babysit you say? dude should be thankful to Stark for the exposure he got, if am not mistaken if not Stark he would have been just an ordinary friendly neighborhood in Queens NY.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nova15: 10:15pm On Sep 26, 2019
Damfostopper:
lol maybe they are planning on merging "Stark" iron Man with spider Man......something like Iron spider lol......
Spiderman movie should solely revolve around Peter Parker.... but that's not the case... seems it's inter-woven courtesy of Marvel

Of course it's interwoven. Stark is his mentor so that how it's supposed to be.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Clubmaster: 10:20pm On Sep 26, 2019
How can someone sit down to watch Bird box then say that the concept is about parenthood.

Is there another birdbox I don't know?

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 10:30pm On Sep 26, 2019
Nova15:

Of course it's interwoven. Stark is his mentor so that how it's supposed to be.
because of disney
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 10:36pm On Sep 26, 2019
mekaprime:

Well I think it shouldn't have one. This is because, at the end of the movie, closure is given to Malorie, as it is clearly seen that she finally embraced her role as a mother and the parental guardian of those 2 kids. Also she ends up in a safe Haven with the kids which IMO, is a big win.
The flick wasn't really about the monsters per say, the mysterious monsters in the movie connotes a dipper meaning, thus, you've to see beyond the surface meaning/concept. Bird Box main concept was about parenthood and how raising kids can mean preparing them to live in a world full of harm's way that even their parents don't really understand, thus attempting to explain the mysterious beings would risk muddling the simple, but effective idea behind the story.

Every good horror movie has a deeper meaning that goes beyond the terror itself. The justification for a sequel does not lie in the deeper meaning.

I believe the justification for a horror movie is twofold

1. The evil spirit, monster, corporation, virus, system, person did not die

2. The protagonist or hero or main character did not have a .clear or good ending
Closure.

Bird Box fits both rules. First, the monsters were never explained and were never killed.

Secondly, the main haracter did not truly get closure. The monsters are still out there and nothing stops them from sending the crazies to kill those who dont open their eyes (the blind guys)

Also, it is your personal interpretation that the monsters were purely psychological. I fell that is 100 percent wrong. Not only were they drawn on paper, they had physical effects on people and also, they had crazies working for them.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 10:37pm On Sep 26, 2019
Clubmaster:
How can someone sit down to watch Bird box then say that the concept is about parenthood.

Have you heard of the word Symbolism ? Are you ware of its applications to art & literature??
The monsters in the movie, did you for once lay your eyes on it?......I rest my case.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 10:37pm On Sep 26, 2019
Clubmaster:

That is one of the secondary themes in the movie.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nova15: 10:38pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:
because of disney

No, because of marvel. Spiderman has always been a marvel character, just that it's film rights is owned by Sony. Even in the comics and animations, Spiderman has always been a protege of Tony Stark.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:45pm On Sep 26, 2019
kendrick93:

I concur...These Tom holland Spider -man movies feel somehow to me, the villian in Home coming was child's play....i for one will gladly like to see the end of this era of spiderman and thankfully sony and marvel are already doing justice to it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 10:53pm On Sep 26, 2019
oyaskii:
I concur...These Tom holland Spider -man movies feel somehow to me, the villian in Home coming was child's play....i for one will gladly like to see the end of this era of spiderman and thankfully sony and marvel are already doing justice to it.
I swear...too amateurish.
The first spidermans had much better villains like Harry Osbourne,green goblin,doctor octopus etc .....
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 26, 2019
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-real-reason-you-never-see-the-monsters-in-netflixs-bird-box.html/

This is the best explanation of Birdbox I've seen. The monsters are personal. It echoed some of my opinions too.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 10:58pm On Sep 26, 2019
[quote author=JeromeBlack post=82600150]

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 11:03pm On Sep 26, 2019
JeromeBlack:

Every good horror movie has a deeper meaning that goes beyond the terror itself. The justification for a sequel does not lie in the deeper meaning.

I believe the justification for a horror movie is twofold

1. The evil spirit, monster, corporation, virus, system, person did not die

2. The protagonist or hero or main character did not have a .clear or good ending
Closure.

Bird Box fits both rules. First, the monsters were never explained and were never killed.

Secondly, the main haracter did not truly get closure. The monsters are still out there and nothing stops them from sending the crazies to kill those who dont open their eyes (the blind guys)

Also, it is your personal interpretation that the monsters were purely psychological. I fell that is 100 percent wrong. Not only were they drawn on paper, they had physical effects on people and also, they had crazies working for them.

At the bolded, didn't say that. Trust me here, if the sequel of the movie comes out, there's no way its going to meet up with the standard set by the first movie.
And when you say the hero didn't have a good ending, what other good ending is more befitting than the one we got? ..
Firstly, what was our heroes goal?? The goal all along was getting her & the kids to a safe Haven & not stopping the crazies or pandemic. Did she achieve her goal?? Yes she did, to me, that's a befitting ending.
Talking about killing the monsters, how can you kill something you can't see, for all we may not know, it may be a bio weapon.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WizAkzy: 1:00am On Sep 27, 2019
Train to Busan 2016

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ravioli(m): 8:19am On Sep 27, 2019
WizAkzy:
Train to Busan 2016

Somebody please hold me shocked.

That movie is embarassed embarassed

15/10 please.

Mehnnn.. That movie is dope as hell. Goddamnit
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Beorn1: 8:45am On Sep 27, 2019
KoiceReloaded:

Me too, bro, me too.

Amongst WebRip, Web-DL and HDRip, which one has more quality?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Clubmaster: 8:58am On Sep 27, 2019
In order of quality...

Web-DL, WebRip, HDRip.
Beorn1:

Amongst WebRip, Web-DL and HDRip, which one has more quality?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abdurrazaq(m): 9:03am On Sep 27, 2019
Web-DL and WebRip are better than HDRip. There may be no significant difference between the 2 though

(1) (2) (3) ... (1645) (1646) (1647) (1648) (1649) (1650) (1651) ... (3830) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.