Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,341 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3504) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3753864 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3501) (3502) (3503) (3504) (3505) (3506) (3507) ... (3835) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 11:17pm On Apr 30, 2023
Baddestguyp:
β€˜JOHN WICK 4’ is currently the third highest grossing film of 2023.
So far, it's the third highest grossing Hollywood movie and fifth worldwide.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 11:54pm On Apr 30, 2023
phr0nesis:

So far, it's the third highest grossing Hollywood movie and fifth worldwide.

It's surely gonna slip outta top 10 when we got summer 2023.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:05am On May 01, 2023
oyaskii:

The Pandemic was an underlying factor, but their were other factors why the movie seemingly failed.

The movie opened in the theatre around September of 2020 when the COVID pandemic was at a downward pike and metric projections was pointing towards a favorable release, as it will be the only big title playing at that time hence affording it multiple screen time as it would normally have so WB okayed the release.

But the movie tanking can be split into two chief culprit.

The meta-physics entropy rigmarole was a tad above the what was normally expected of a CN flick and so it became all too confusing for early movie goers and critics alike, and thus discouraging eager fans who where willing to brave catching the virus to go see it.

The muffled sound mix style employed by Nolan for the sound editing was a total misfire as People could not make up the dialogues expecially in a cinema screening room with no subtitles thus further alienating potential people willing to see it.

Even with a re-cinematic run in March of 2021, when all the troubles of the pandemic had rolled away, the movie still couldn't make any head way.

My context been, if the movie released say last year without brother COVID hanging around, i fear it would had still tank at the box office, cuz take poll here about people's opinion on the movie, and i bet you, 9/10 would say they didn't know what the hell was going on for the entire run time.

Now why I wouldn't call it CN best work, might even be his most mixed critically reviewed movie yet, i fkk with what he was trying to do with the concept and loved the movie, took me some try, but i eventually got around to understanding the movie, the replay value for me tho is next to zero except I'm calling for a migraine.

He has to deliver with Oppenheimer, and i trust he will.

There was no major blockbuster movie in theatres at all for the whole of September 2020 when TENET released till March 31 2021 when WB released Godzilla vs Kong. That's a whole 6 months major studios steered away from theatrical business. It's wrong saying it had a favourable release date when all major studios except WB hoarded their big IP films till summer 2021 or dumped it straight to VOD. This was in a time when VOD was the defacto format of watching films.

The only exceptions were WB released movies with WW84 in December 2020 that tanked and kickstarted the whole day and date theatre/streaming release. If WW84 performed that poorly at the box office in December, something it would traditionally hit at least $400-500mn on a normal day regardless of how good it was, then no other movie studio was willing to risk their prized assets.

To further prove that nothing was favourable for TENET, no major studio dropped anything of note in 2021 until March 2021 with Raya and The Last Dragon and GvK.
If studios put films up for day and date this far up in Dec 2020 till March 2021 it clearly meant they weren't confident at all in the movies making bank at the BO.

If at all anything, that movie more than proved that people were willing to spend the bucks in theatres just to see what Nolan cooks up.

Being the only film available in theatres for a while means nothing if moviegoers weren't willing to come out and see the movies in the first place. And we're even forgetting TENET opened in theatres worldwide with mostly 25% theatre capacity. Meaning if a cinema had 100 seats, only 25 people can watch a movie at a time on a screen. With this kind of uphill battle it's a miracle TENET grossed that much almost hitting $400mn despite its mixed reception.

We forget this is the same period Netflix subs rose exponentially as well as it's stock prices. Disney+ was also doing mad numbers this period cos everyone had adjusted to viewing experience at home. Audiences were quite used to getting new movies in streaming at the comfort of their homes for far cheaper cost than an actual cinema. We are not even accounting for people that didn't like the whole facemasks, social distancing and vaccine protocols and all you'd face just to get to the cinema. These are all the more reasons to skip TENET and wait for VOD release as there's almost zero incentive to see it in cinemas.

The way things turned out in Nigeria was very different from other territories... The realities are markedly different.
COVID spikes being in a downward trend didn't translate to people going to see movies in theatres. Theatres wasn't at the priority list for anybody at that period.

I mean Ain't this the period theatres were going bankrupt and closing down with the US government handing out bailouts.
I mean it was late Dec/early 21' before the EU and America began easing restrictions.

With all these I feel TENET would have easily hit $500mn at least on a normal day.

It was actually GvK that grossed surprisingly great box office numbers despite being a day and date release on HBOMax that actually encouraged other studios to start putting their tentpoles in cinemas. Asides that only Warner Bros was the only studio risking their movies in theatres with day and date release.

With all these, I don't think TENET being mixed has anything to do with it's box office. Many people not understanding a film or not enjoying don't realy mean peeps ain't gonna flock to theatres to see it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:23am On May 01, 2023
phr0nesis:

πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ Make camri hear you

Lol, him go understand. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:32am On May 01, 2023
Flamemignon1:

If you noticed,I related that comment to you saying how y'all throw him up with this generation's greats seeing how much is expected from him now because I don't but I understand because studios have invested so much in him. Still, something about Rebel Moon feels like it could be "it" for him,at least the zombie movie he did recently was ok and well received

The context on how much is expected of him is the same as the interest in Henry Cavill's career trajectory after Superman as is the case with every Batman actor before and after the role.

Zack Snyder helmed one of the biggest franchise in Hollywood as well as the biggest comicbook characters. So it's only natural both his fans and critics are curious to how he'd fare outside his traditional anchor point. Life after WB and Snyderverse can be pretty interesting, at least for the tabloids. 😎

Zack is also a unique being, he's a character where anything he does is of interest to people. If he pour spit somewhere and gave it a name, it'd still generate buzz.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 4:14am On May 01, 2023
abduleez1:

It's surely gonna slip outta top 10 when we got summer 2023.
Definitely. But I'm still wondering why the John Wick movies aren't getting blockbuster numbers. All installments have been well received by critics and audiences, and yet they can't hit even $500k. The possibility of movies like Little Mermaid outselling John Wick makes me question Hollywood
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by PurpLChi: 4:26am On May 01, 2023
Kaycee7:
E no go reach $1.5b sha. Na me tell you

grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by PurpLChi: 4:32am On May 01, 2023
phr0nesis:

Definitely. But I'm still wondering why the John Wick movies aren't getting blockbuster numbers. All installments have been well accepted by critics and audiences, and yet they can't hit even $500k. The possibility of movies like Like Mermaid outselling John Wick makes me question Hollywood

Their movie goers are sissies
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 7:25am On May 01, 2023
PurpLChi:

Their movie goers are sissies
Bloody sissies. Imagine live-action beauty and the beast hitting $1b
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Flamemignon1(m): 7:48am On May 01, 2023
abduleez1:

The context on how much is expected of him is the same as the interest in Henry Cavill's career trajectory after Superman as is the case with every Batman actor before and after the role.

Zack Snyder helmed one of the biggest franchise in Hollywood as well as the biggest comicbook characters. So it's only natural both his fans and critics are curious to how he'd fare outside his traditional anchor point. Life after WB and Snyderverse can be pretty interesting, at least for the tabloids. 😎

Zack is also a unique being, he's a character where anything he does is of interest to people. If he pour spit somewhere and gave it a name, it'd still generate buzz.
Let's see him turn that buzz to dough
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ShaqFu: 8:18am On May 01, 2023
SOZINN:
😒😒😒
this scene still gets me, always. 😟

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:44am On May 01, 2023
MCU sponsored beauty.... 🀩😁

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:20am On May 01, 2023
abduleez1:
MCU sponsored beauty.... 🀩😁
Between this and that Modok from Ant-Man Q, i don't know which is worse 😩😩. MCU fell off, it's so sad to see.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:30am On May 01, 2023
phr0nesis:

Definitely. But I'm still wondering why the John Wick movies aren't getting blockbuster numbers. All installments have been well received by critics and audiences, and yet they can't hit even $500k. The possibility of movies like Little Mermaid outselling John Wick makes me question Hollywood

Lol, why will you question Hollywood? This is what some of you get wrong. It's the audiences you'd question. It's not as if the studios' didn't produce these movies in the first place. They're there but the masses voted with their money.
Judging by how globalized the theatrical business has become, I'd even blame the moviegoers worldwide. Cos the numbers and facts are there to judge. If the problem is the American audience, then international box office gross should be significantly larger or miles larger than the domestic gross. But you see the domestic/international split being roughly equal.

To answer your question, the major reason I see John Wick not grossing more than it has its because of the studio. It's Lionsgate. You can't compare Lionsgate financial and marketing muscle with that of Disney, WB, Universal, Paramount or even junior boy Sony. Audiences are very much aware of this. I haven't seen any John Wick movie marketed aggressively as a proper tentpole blockbuster as other IPs like Transformers etc. Even in the action genre JW is at the bottom of the food chain. You can't compare it with Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, James Bond, Jason Bourne etc.
These are proper blockbuster action movies and marketed as such. John Wick hasn't been pushed this way. They've all got the nerve wrecking car chase, explosions, "end of the world villain" and all. JW doesn't.

And let me not lie to you John Wick feels more or less a niche action movie, regardless of how good it is.
So, based on this I can't say its American audience per se but moviegoers worldwide. This is what I feel, tho I might be wrong.

John Wick franchise is doing fine. There's no need looking too much into its box office gross. It's its own thing and has performed wonderfully on each installment.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 10:01am On May 01, 2023
πŸŽ₯ Love & Death S01 (2023) = 7/10 βœ”οΈ

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kushercain: 1:01pm On May 01, 2023
Ben Affleck is a certified dope Director.

Gone Baby GoneπŸ’―
The TownπŸ’―
AirπŸ’―

Ma mahnπŸ€œπŸ€›
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ValeeLove(m): 2:06pm On May 01, 2023
abduleez1:
Lol, Kaycee7 just dey collect am nonstop... 😁😁

Japan just join this Friday. Up next is Korea. πŸ˜‰
The fire billion dollar film of the year.

Universal has somehow eclipsed Disney in the animation business. Sadly, scenarios like these is what will definitely push Disney more to double down on their live action remake and possibly increase sequels to previous successful movies.
why is Illumination so successful though, I mean have you seen what their movies make? It's ridiculous.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 3:24pm On May 01, 2023
abduleez1:

Lol, why will you question Hollywood? This is what some of you get wrong. It's the audiences you'd question. It's not as if the studios' didn't produce these movies in the first place. They're there but the masses voted with their money.
Judging by how globalized the theatrical business has become, I'd even blame the moviegoers worldwide. Cos the numbers and facts are there to judge. If the problem is the American audience, then international box office gross should be significantly larger or miles larger than the domestic gross. But you see the domestic/international split being roughly equal.

To answer your question, the major reason I see John Wick not grossing more than it has its because of the studio. It's Lionsgate. You can't compare Lionsgate financial and marketing muscle with that of Disney, WB, Universal, Paramount or even junior boy Sony. Audiences are very much aware of this. I haven't seen any John Wick movie marketed aggressively as a proper tentpole blockbuster as other IPs like Transformers etc. Even in the action genre JW is at the bottom of the food chain. You can't compare it with Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, James Bond, Jason Bourne etc.
These are proper blockbuster action movies and marketed as such. John Wick hasn't been pushed this way. They've all got the nerve wrecking car chase, explosions, "end of the world villain" and all. JW doesn't.

And let me not lie to you John Wick feels more or less a niche action movie, regardless of how good it is.
So, based on this I can't say its American audience per se but moviegoers worldwide. This is what I feel, tho I might be wrong.

John Wick franchise is doing fine. There's no need looking too much into its box office gross. It's its own thing and has performed wonderfully on each installment.
True. Hollywood isn't the problem, the audience is.
I just feel Lionsgate isn't ambitious enough. Seeing how successful the first two movies were, what excuse do they have for not aggressively marketing the other two.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 4:19pm On May 01, 2023
Yo......
Happy new month. ❀️

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 4:36pm On May 01, 2023
kushercain:
Ben Affleck is a certified dope Director.

Gone Baby GoneπŸ’―
The TownπŸ’―
AirπŸ’―

Ma mahnπŸ€œπŸ€›

No be today na. Man is pretty dope. βœ“βœ“
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by GloriousGbola: 4:54pm On May 01, 2023
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 6:31pm On May 01, 2023
For those still bitchΓ­ng about Bella from the last of us. Calm down, let her keep negotiating she will get there. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kushercain: 7:31pm On May 01, 2023
abduleez1:

No be today na. Man is pretty dope. βœ“βœ“

I no even remember Argo

I'm hoping he directs one of the upcoming DC projects
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:12pm On May 01, 2023
kushercain:

I no even remember Argo

I'm hoping he directs one of the upcoming DC projects

Man says he's not interested.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:24pm On May 01, 2023
ValeeLove:
why is Illumination so successful though, I mean have you seen what their movies make? It's ridiculous.

It knows its audiences and pivots accordingly.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:35pm On May 01, 2023
oyaskii:
Between this and that Modok from Ant-Man Q, i don't know which is worse 😩😩. MCU fell off, it's so sad to see.

Lol, they can keep falling off just in time for the DCU establishment. 😁🀭

Kevin Feige can keep assuming audiences are dumb and will keep encouraging the rubbish they churn out with more money during this SAPA period.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:53pm On May 01, 2023
phr0nesis:

True. Hollywood isn't the problem, the audience is.
I just feel Lionsgate isn't ambitious enough. Seeing how successful the first two movies were, what excuse do they have for not aggressively marketing the other two.

It is what it is. I feel John Wick 4 was marketed very well. Not that they don't try to market their movies well, they also have other competitors who aren't sleeping.

As much as I love WB, I can't see a Universal animation movie and then choose a WB animated film. There's also the thing of audience preference and studio pedigree.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:10am On May 02, 2023
This is why I like this man....
He might stumble a few times along the way or get a few things wrong but this brutal honesty is what I love about him and hopeful he will right the ship. 😌

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:14am On May 02, 2023
I remember a few weeks back when we had the discourse here about the impact of AI on Hollywood and some people were of the opinion that the impact will be minimal but here we are today.

The Writers Guild current striking demands include the total exclusion of AI from movie process but the studios seems not to be having it. For context"Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness" was rewritten 33 times before they found the script that the studio liked, thereby delaying filming, Insider sources are saying these studios feel, the movie process could move quite faster with use of AI.

MCU is set to be the biggest victim of this strike as most of thier project from late 2024 to 2026 are still at the writing stage hence expected delay and possible shift on their scheduled release dates.

To put things in perspective, the WGA strike of 07/08 had quite an impact on scripted television. Shows with scheduled 22 episodes were cut to 10 or even 6 episodes, so if this current strike lingers on, there might be delay in new episodes on shows currently airing or the seasons are cut short early.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 9:45am On May 02, 2023
oyaskii:
I remember a few weeks back when we had the discourse here about the impact of AI on Hollywood and some people were of the opinion that the impact will be minimal but here we are today.
The WGA went on strike for a different reason, I’m still not sure AI can take job of creatives.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by PurpLChi: 9:46am On May 02, 2023
Nickshrapnel:
The WGA went on strike for a different reason, I’m still not sure AI can take job of creatives.

We are in the end times.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:56am On May 02, 2023
Nickshrapnel:
You did see my SS right? AI use is definitely part of litigation. Also see an exceprt from "Variety". I have seen what AI can do first hand, so whether AI can take the job of creatives, is up for an interesting debate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3501) (3502) (3503) (3504) (3505) (3506) (3507) ... (3835) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.