Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption (54262 Views)

APC Accuses Jonathan Of ‘last-minute Dubious Activities’ / 2015 Election: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Training, Arming Killer Squad / Council Accuses Jonathan Of Cleansing Muslims From Army, Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Nobody: 2:23am On Dec 12, 2013
Omadachi: A LETTER TO NELSON MANDELA
Dear Dr. Nelson,

Please, when you get to the world beyond, tell Herbert Macaulay that the
party he found has been turned to People Destroying Party

Tell Obafemi Awolowo that we now pay school fees without going to
school

Help me tell Nnamdi Azikiwe that the long wall to democracy that he
built has fallen, only the cracked fence still stands

Tell Chief Anthony Enahoro that the independent nation he fought for is
no more

Tell Ahmadu Bello that our judicial system now favours the rich.

Tell Muritala Muhammed that we still use kerosene to cook and candles to see.

Tell King Jaja of Opobo that we are still slaves in our country

Please, tell Dele Giwa that Nigerian press has been bought with money

Tell Chinua Achebe that things has fallen apart

Tell Yaradua that we are back to zero point agenda

Tell Fela that his prophecy has come to reality. NIGERIANS ARE SUFFERING
AND SMILING!

..... And please don't forget to tell Prof. Iyayi that Federal government paid
200 billion into ASUU account but they have not seen alert.

Tell them that we need quick reply to this letter.

Dear Omadachi,
Why should I be the one to deliver this message of yours? Dont you have Nigerians fit to do the job? I spent all my life on earth serving mankind, heaven is my time to rest. If you need help, get it yourself.

Sincerely,

Nelson Mandela
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Layolaw(f): 2:48am On Dec 12, 2013
my God! see comment for this thread, Nigerians/Nairalanders l hail ooo.. corruption and corruption
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Nobody: 3:20am On Dec 12, 2013
DerideGull:

Bros the moronic Olusegun Obasanjo thought Goodluck Jonathan is the brand of Ijo men he and Gowon used during the Nigeria/Biafra war.
This is where OBJ says "I dey laugh o.". GEJ has been arranged.It happened 2yrs ago,only the children are just realizing it.This is where I say "OBJ,Crush your enemy totally.There should be no middle ground.No embers should be left alit.He will not give you that advantage if he is in superior positioning."
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Nobody: 3:25am On Dec 12, 2013
GEJ must crushed.Else we become slaves in our own land.Training snipers a la Abacha?Jonathan just okayed those calling him Jonathan,Jonathan.He was doing it and allowed his enemies(friends) to know.Guy is not wise one bit at all.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by tunde1200(m): 3:29am On Dec 12, 2013
perez019: Whether OBJ is a saint or not... Place d. Cards. On. D table, OBJ is still d best democratically elected president Nigeria has ever had.. YES he made some mistakes, YES he. Stepped on toes. But at d end he achieved a lot. GEJ has. Openly encouraged corruption and criminality at its peak, celebrating thieves and. Criminals (we know them without. Mentioning names).. Where r promises he made by setting up the Subsidy re-investment. Programme? The. Mass. Transit buses he promised. To roll out to d masses? The. Jobs he promised. To create?... Nigeria is now an indebted country. Why. Did he(GEJ) have to wait dis long. To implement a 2009 agreement the he was part of? Millitants now earn salaries more than an educated Nigerian graduate. What has he done to stella Oduah's case? And now another. Case of corruption in NNPC.. GEJ has not only failed Nigerians, he has also failed God.

gbam
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by DerideGull(m): 3:33am On Dec 12, 2013
Nigeria has a walking corruption and his name is Olusegun Obasanjo. Obasanjo committed the unforgettable corruption in the history of Nigeria when he, Obasanjo, converted most funds for the so-called “Operation Feed the Nation” into Obasanjo’s farm. If I am in the position of Goodluck Jonathan, the lapper called Olusegun Obasanjo will not see the Sun light for the rest of his miserable life.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Swiftboy(m): 4:33am On Dec 12, 2013
Hmmmm! Naija...GOD safe us from this selfish leaders! Obasanjo is wrong to have picked GEJ just cos of zoning! I dont care who enter the presidency! All I care is who'll perform even if he's a foreigner! Nigeria needs quality leaders not in competent selected leaders!
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 12, 2013
kingoflag:

Dear Omadachi,
Why should I be the one to deliver this message of yours? Dont you have Nigerians fit to do the job? I spent all my life on earth serving mankind, heaven is my time to rest. If you need help, get it yourself.

Sincerely,

Nelson Mandela

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by AfroBlue(m): 6:21am On Dec 12, 2013
Last updated: December 12, 2013 12:59 am

Mentor adds to Nigeria president’s woes amid missing $50bn

By William Wallis in Lagos

President Goodluck Jonathan©Reuters

President Goodluck Jonathan

The in-tray of Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s president, has been filling up with some potent mail in recent weeks. In just over 24 hours two letters have leaked, one from the central bank raising questions about the whereabouts of $50bn in oil revenues, the other a broadside from a former head of state, Olusegun Obasanjo.

Both have combined to cast a pall over Mr Jonathan’s presidency at a time of rising political tension and concern over the state of government finances ahead of elections in 2015.

As head of state and leader of the ruling People’s Democratic party, Gen Obasanjo was instrumental in Mr Jonathan’s ascent to the top. He has often argued that it was vital in the interests of preserving Nigeria’s multi-ethnic federation and quelling militancy in the oil-producing Niger delta to prove that someone from that region – Mr Jonathan’s – could reach the top.

But under the heading “before it is too late” he has sent a withering assessment of his protégé’s rule, effectively calling on him in a letter leaked to the media to stand down ahead of the 2015 polls in the interests of party and national unity. Likening the current situation to the dark days in the 1990s when General Sani Abacha’s brutal and corrupt rule stretched Africa’s most populous nation to breaking point, he implies that Mr Jonathan has put ethnic and personal interests above those of the nation.

Over 18 pages, he lists a string of abuses allegedly taking place from billion-dollar fraud in the oil industry to the use of security agencies for political ends. He implores Mr Jonathan to stick to what he says was an original promise not to seek a second term as president.

The issue of his second term has contributed to dividing the ruling party in recent months, prompting a faction of state governors, most of them from the predominantly Muslim north to defect to the opposition. “If on the altar of the party you go for broke, the party may be broken beyond repairs. In such a situation Nigeria as a nation may also be adversely affected, not just the PDP. I wish to see no more bloodshed occasioned by politics,” Gen Obasanjo writes.

Contacted by the FT, the former head of state, who stood down in 2007 after serving two terms as elected president, said he had felt compelled to send the letter out of “serious concern” about the direction in which Nigeria is heading.

Presidential spokespeople contacted by the FT were not on hand to respond. But an ally of the president said: “I don’t know why he has done this. He must be frustrated that he doesn’t have the influence he used to have . . . For him to stand up and be the moral conscience I don’t think too many people will buy into that. I see a lot of people who will call him a hypocrite.”

Separately a letter from the Central Bank of Nigeria suggests that the state oil company has failed to account for nearly $50bn in crude oil sold between January 2012 and July 2013 that should by law have been remitted to government coffers. The alleged shortfall amounts to 76 per cent of crude oil sold by the NNPC and is nearly equal to federal budget expenditure for both years. The NNPC has rejected the allegations.

Lamido Sanusi, the CBN governor, declined to comment on the letter. In it he says he felt obliged to write to the president documenting the “continued failure of the NNPC to repatriate significant proportions of the proceeds of crude oil shipments it made in gross violation of the law.” He wrote that he had been warning the president of this since as far back as 2010.

Mr Obasanjo also refers to 430,000 b/d of oil which he alleges have not been remitted to federal coffers. “Please deal with this allegation transparently and let the truth be known,” he pleads.

Huge shortfalls in oil revenues, which typically account for 80 per cent of government revenue, have periodically come to light in Nigeria’s past. However, the combined sums involved in Mr Sanusi’s calculations and Gen Obasanjo’s allegations dwarf previous controversies over the opaque nature of the oil industry in Africa’s leading producer.

Both letters have surfaced at a time when President Jonathan is under growing public pressure for his perceived failure to tackle corruption and act on the findings of a series of state-sanctioned investigations pointing to gross mismanagement in the oil industry. In a statement, the NNPC denied it had withheld payments and said the CBN’s information was “misleading” and “capable of creating public disaffection.”

“The allegation is borne out of misunderstanding of the workings of the oil and gas industry and the modality for remitting crude oil sales revenue into the Federation Account,” the statement said.

The 24 per cent of total crude oil earnings the CBN acknowledges receiving represents the full amount due from the NNPC’s share of sales, the statement added. The remainder could be accounted for in field development costs as well as from the receipts collected by other government agencies.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0410ec3a-6273-11e3-bba5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2nEcKeVQw
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by rash47(m): 6:46am On Dec 12, 2013
Urine: There's a strange thing about the comments I've read, why are people overlooking the points raised. Why is nobody talking about the "sniper training" accusation? For an ex- president to accuse a sitting president of this is a very serious issue.

When I was reading the letter, this part made me feel it wasn't geniune.....if obj actually wrote this letter with all its content then I can conclusively say nigeria and nigerians have gone to the dogs and will never be the same again.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Urine: 6:59am On Dec 12, 2013
rash47:

When I was reading the letter, this part made me feel it wasn't geniune.....if obj actually wrote this letter with all its content then I can conclusively say nigeria and nigerians have gone to the dogs and will never be the same again.

I agree with you because that allegation is shocking, but an ex-president will never make a vague accusation like that and to think there was no particular denial in the reply by the presidency makes me really scared. Google stuff about snipers in Syria to have an idea of how dangerous this is.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by comradestalk: 7:06am On Dec 12, 2013
seunmsg: Obasanjo should shut the Bleep up. He imposed Jonathan on Nigerians when there are other competent candidates even in his PDP. What was Jonathans antecedents that made him felt he was going to be a good president?

Jonathan has never showed any sign of quality leadership right from his time as governor of Bayelsa state so, his present performance as president of Nigeria is not a surprise to many of us. You can't give what you don't have, a clueless person can't make a good president. It is that simple.

Obasanjo should publicly apologies to Nigerians instead of crying like a baby. He should suck up his disappointment quietly because he's the major cause of the mess Nigeria is in right now. He has 8 good years to mentor and train a competent successor, all he came up with is sick Yar'adua and clueless Jonathan. A good leader should be able to ensure that he is succeeded by a more competent person that can't implement his ideas and vision for the country. As bad as Tinubu is, the competency of his successor cannot be questioned. Jonathans failure is also Obasanjos failure.

i couldn't have put it better.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by awayeyebundle: 7:10am On Dec 12, 2013
Sincerely Jonathan is not acting as a president but as regionalism government,he encourage corruption by putting sentiment in all that he does to happening in his administration,imagen Stella Oduah,Aruma Oteh still in his cabinet,Farouk Lawan was remove because of this menace,why covering this people base on ethnicism,regionalism.I see Jonathan failing as 2015 candidate because he's cunning like tortoise,he's not a man of his words,Stop all this regionalism statement,let call a spade a spade
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by drnoel: 7:12am On Dec 12, 2013
sincerenigerian: GEJ's divisiveness is known and recognized by any Nigerian who follows Nigerian politics. The gloves are off, the war has been declared.

I forsee Jonathan ending up like Samuel Doe or Laurence Gbagbo.
I don´t see that. Do u think it would have been better with any of those people currently hanging around the presidency. Let 2015 decide and stop throwing unnecessary tantrums
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by OneNaira6: 7:15am On Dec 12, 2013
Obsanjo has the audacity. Are you f2king kidding me?

Talk about charcoal calling pot black.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by iyke2013(m): 7:19am On Dec 12, 2013
It amaze me when people talk without conscience, we all understand the presend dispensation of this country and what it stands but a failed president to making charistmatic injuction is a total betrayer of the human conscience, ex-president Obasanjo ingniting or indirectly making statement that will ingnite violence or division in the country doesnot connotes good of him. Let him retrace his statement! Chikina!!
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by OneNaira6: 7:25am On Dec 12, 2013
ImHotep-X:

You're naive and a tad bit lost in translation. This has absolutely nothing to do with politics and winning/losing elections in 2015. Go read the letter again. It's like a final warning before the real owners of Nigeria do the "needful." I expect a coup before summer next year. I doubt GEJ would live to see 2015 - I honestly doubt it.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I agree with you but they, "real" owners of Nigeria, should remember killing GEJ would open a can of worms they do not want to open since his people , along with others are behind him. It's best to leave the man alone to enjoy his years as president. Instead of trying to bully him out of his human rights, they should Allow him the opportunity to contest for a second term and if the people want it, the votes would speak their decision.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:31am On Dec 12, 2013
The former President said Mr. Jonathan told him before the 2011 election he would not seek a second term, and made the same promise to governors, party stakeholders and Nigerians.

The president’s refusal to keep that promise cast him as a man without honour, Mr. Obasanjo said.

grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:32am On Dec 12, 2013
dp

grin grin
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:34am On Dec 12, 2013
“As a leader, two things you must cherish and hold dear among others are trust and honour both of which are important ingredients of character. I will want to see anyone in the Office of the Presidency of Nigeria as a man or woman who can be trusted, a person of honour in his words and character.”

Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:35am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr. Obasanjo also accused Mr. Jonathan of anti-party conducts – supporting opposition parties’ candidates in governorship elections in Lagos, Ondo, Edo and Anambra states at the detriment of PDP’s own candidates –, and of pitting party members against one another.

Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:38am On Dec 12, 2013
“To allow or tacitly encourage people of ‘Ijaw nation’ to throw insults on other Nigerians from other parts of the country and threaten fire and brimstone to protect your interest as an Ijaw man is myopic and your not openly quieting them is even more unfortunate.

Two Ijaw men, ex-militant Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, and a former federal commissioner for information, Edwin Clark, who carries himself around as the political godfather of the president, are known to talk down on people opposed to the president.

Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by wisdomwiseman(m): 7:44am On Dec 12, 2013
I hate pot calling kettle black, see OBJ trying 2b more righteous than Pope. If i may ask, is this not OBJ who wanted 2 make himslf a life president in this country? I beg make i use my ear 4 another important tin...RUBBISH!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:44am On Dec 12, 2013
[b]He said Mr. Jonathan has failed to deliver on his promises to the Nigerian people, stem corruption, promote national unity and strengthen national security.
He said in the letter titled “Before it is too late” that rather than take steps to advance Nigeria’s interest and up the standards of living of Nigerians, Mr. Jonathan had betrayed God and the Nigerian people that brought him to power, and has been pursuing selfish personal and political interests based on advice he receives from “self-centred aides”.

In the detailed letter, dripping of anger , frustration and what appears a genuine concern to rescue a nation on the brink, Mr. Obasanjo lamented that Mr. Jonathan had become terribly divisive and clannish, destroying his own party, polarizing the country along regional and religious lines and ridiculing Nigeria in the comity of nations.

Without mincing words, Mr. Obasanjo blamed Mr. Jonathan for the crises tearing the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, apart.
[/b]

OBJ (not that u are clean ursef) but thank u for re-emphasizing what DEMDEM has has repeatedly said. DEMDEM is justified. U said the truth.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Demdem(m): 7:47am On Dec 12, 2013
Even the devil knows the truth. OBJ said it as it is.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Urine:

I agree with you because that allegation is shocking, but an ex-president will never make a vague accusation like that and to think there was no particular denial in the reply by the presidency makes me really scared. Google stuff about snipers in Syria to have an idea of how dangerous this is.
Ummm.... so u don't know ur country has been at war for close to 3yrs now? u need to read my posts more.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by jamace(m): 8:16am On Dec 12, 2013
Demdem: Even the devil knows the truth. OBJ said it as it is.
But a million truths can never make the devil a saint!
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by honeric01(m): 8:36am On Dec 12, 2013
jamace: But a million truths can never make the devil a saint!

Neither can a million devil make the truth become a lie.

If the devil tells you to run when God would have wanted you to run, are you going to stay back because it was the devil that said so?
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by fiizznation: 9:11am On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by natureem: 9:22am On Dec 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: What an irony! The same OBJ that wanted an UNCONSTITUTIONAL third term is now trying to prevent an incumbent president from seeking his CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED second term? Why should an OBJ do his second term and even tried to seek a third term BUT a Jonathan cannot seek second term? So what is the difference between an OBJ and a Jonathan? Is it in the colour of their skin or tribe? And OBJ is being cheered on by Tinubu slaves? What an irony! Smh for my country.
Obj never promised he won't run again but Gej gave his words so he should stand by it. simple
be a man of honour. that's the bottom line.
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by webaplanet(m): 9:23am On Dec 12, 2013
well nigeria is at odd with so many odds, if you decide to read more odds visit www.tony kempis.com
Re: Obasanjo Accuses Jonathan Of Promoting Corruption by charles424(m): 9:35am On Dec 12, 2013
kettykin: Jonathan is a weak president other wise this fool called Obj who squandered N16b tax payers money on a fluke power project, who used his office to organise the worst set of rigging in Anambra where Andy Uba was declared winner in an election that didn't hold, whose daughter was caught in embezzlement of N10b health fujd, who used EFCC to victimise governors he doesn't like, who closed down businesses of igbo men for no meaningful reasons, who issued oil blocks to all manner of people as he was the minister for petroleum should be behind bars

Can you see how fool your forefathers were?Point to any of your forefathers that have the records of achievement that OBJ has...if not for obj has any of your forefather use phone before not to talk of gsm? you are a disgrace to this nation...Just go and commit succide.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Caption This Emefiele's Posture As Buhari Passes (pic) / Murray-Bruce Announced Bianca Ojukwu As Miss Intercontinental In 1989 (Video) / IPOB Members Burn Passenger In Imo For Flouting Sit-At-Home Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.