Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,799 members, 7,827,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn (39232 Views)

Nigeria’s GDP To Hit $2trn By 2030, If… —lai Mohammed. / Nigeria's Economy is Among The Largest in the World, says Jonathan / Igbo Tribe Is The Largest In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 4:54am On Dec 21, 2013
boss1310:
a poor nigerian parent spend triple of that only on indomie and pap to feed a child for a month excluding school fees paid every 3 months.an average nigerian man is wealthy compared to a south african black.thats a fact

You do not have to lie dear. Where is the money coming from? We know that a Nigerian graduate earns about 35k a month anda government worker earns around the same. Where as in SA a domistc workers earns 18.5k a month if you add that to a house with four children getting government grant its amost 50k and most government schools and hospital are free. So where is the money coming from.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by faith96: 4:55am On Dec 21, 2013
So whose supposed to believe some local botched results done in Nigeria. tongue
tongue by Nigerians and for Nigeria only. shocked shocked cool cool
I would only trust results from world bank, Penn world,Forbes Africa, and such reputable world organizations.
Besides why was the research not done in comparison to other countries. Who summaries one country results analyses them as winning before enlisting other African countries.
can we get a reputable decent source with researchers from all over Africa.
some of us were not born yesterday

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by deletrue: 4:57am On Dec 21, 2013
aaronson: Its not about Economical Development But Economical Growth,yes we have overtaken SouthAfrica but an average nigerian still live below 1dollar per day....how can you equate that to the preached development when 90% of nigerians wallow in abject poverty abegi make una go sitdon
Bros., I do know your location and your age. In the sixties, down to seventies, food like rice, yam, onion, plantain, in sort stables were in abundance, thereafter, all of this vanished and hungry took over every where untill mid of 2012 when suddenly those mentioned stable food stuffs became abundance. Last week, I was in Ojodu Berger and other local markets just for a survey, am so much excited when this boom is all over the place. Atleast even if I will not thank Jona, I will give this agric. minister the best performer award in our time. Was also in delta state, come and see abundance of agric. produce, it just wonderful. Thank you God. It shall be ok with Nigeria. Just a local way of assessing the Nigerian economy.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by manny4life(m): 5:03am On Dec 21, 2013
faith96: So whose supposed to believe some local botched results done in Nigeria. tongue
tongue by Nigerians and for Nigeria only. shocked shocked cool cool
I would only trust results from world bank, Penn world,Forbes Africa, and such reputable world organizations.
Besides why was the research not done in comparison to other countries. Who summaries one country results analyses them as winning before enlisting other African countries.

Whether or not you believe it is IRRELEVANT, as long as investors, third party entities, administrators, foreign corps and even banks and bankers around the financial world BELIEVER IT, your opinion isn't needed. When the result is completed and having tested that the results complies with international standards, what you think wouldn't matter... Take a chill pill and relax. cool

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by manny4life(m): 5:09am On Dec 21, 2013
BluIvy:

You do not have to lie dear. Where is the money coming from? We know that a Nigerian graduate earns about 35k a month anda government worker earns around the same. Where as in SA a domistc workers earns 18.5k a month if you add that to a house with four children getting government grant its amost 50k and most government schools and hospital are free. So where is the money coming from.

The money is coming from unreported income, while SA citizens depend on govt for free money and grants, Nigerians on the other hand pursue small petty business agenda or whatever brings in secondary income. Most of these incomes aren't reported. If every roadside seller were to report their income, okada rider did the same, shop owner, street hawkers and what not, if all these people reported their income, believe me, our per cap would be x2 and that's FACT.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 21, 2013
manny4life:

The money is coming from unreported income, while SA citizens depend on govt for free money and grants, Nigerians on the other hand pursue small petty business agenda or whatever brings in secondary income. Most of these incomes aren't reported. If every roadside seller were to report their income, okada rider did the same, shop owner, street hawkers and what not, if all these people reported their income, believe me, our per cap would be x2 and that's FACT.
the reason why Nigeria's informal sector is larger than SA's
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by InvertedHammer: 5:26am On Dec 21, 2013
/
In a country where a whole CBN governor nor the Minister of Finance knows the actual amount accruable to the FGN
from crude oil sales remittance alone...

SLS said $40.8bn....NNPC said $67.12bn...DPR said $67bn....
SLS later said that $12bn accounted for... whereas NOI said it is only $10.8 unaccounted....

Who in their right sense would believe any data being thrown around by these folks?

\

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 5:30am On Dec 21, 2013
InvertedHammer: /
In a country where a whole CBN governor nor the Minister of Finance knows the actual amount accruable to the FGN

SLS later said that $12bn accounted for... whereas NOI said it is only $10.8 unaccounted....

Who in their right sense would believe any data being thrown around by these folks?

\
ignoramus, pls research those that are involved in the calculations.. it's not just Nigeria..
Now, drop dead
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by chiboy429(m): 5:32am On Dec 21, 2013
Its encouraging though,but why is it that the analysis is being done by foreigners and not our indigienous personnels ,even if not from Nigeria but within Africa.

Does it mean they understand our environment and economy more than we do nor do they gather more outstanding sincerity much more compared to us. We have reached a junction point where figures and theories doesnt make any meaning rather a practical output and achievement. However ,theres no time being skeptical about the performance of the Gej administration because it has ushered a tremendous growth and development in our geo-ecosphere. Alot still have to be done and much is expected from us as the citizenry also ,interms of cooperation and optimism within ourselves and we must not wait for what the govt will do for us but rather what we would do for the country and the government as well because even we likewise are government on our own.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by InvertedHammer: 5:34am On Dec 21, 2013
scipher: ignoramus, pls research those that are involved in the calculations.. it's not just Nigeria..
Now, drop dead

/

The same kind of researchers that told you that AIDS originated from Africa?

The same economic researchers that sold SAP to IBB?

The same economic researchers that sold "subsidy removal" to GEJ?

Believe them to your own detriment!

Who is the ignoramus now?

\

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by manny4life(m): 6:02am On Dec 21, 2013

\

Bros, no matter how we try to sugarcoat it, there are standards that must be followed. While no one had accurate figures, it doesn't negate the positive of this news. We all agree they fuckedd up then, but bottom line is whether or not you believe it, Nigeria my beloved country is improving. For instance, for the first time, they will account for Nollywood entertainment and IT industry, that's improvement right there cool cool
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by PassingShot(m): 6:13am On Dec 21, 2013
Good indices from economic perspective. But what the report does not tell us is the number of jobless graduates in the country and its implication on the sustainability of the development ala growth. The fact that many unemployed youths roam the street and engage in nefarious activities such as Yahoo! Yahoo! and scamming, bringing foreign currency into the country should not make us disillussioned about the problems at hand.
If the government is able to create the enabling environment for people to engage in legitimate enterprises, soon we will be talking of a trillion dollar economy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 6:16am On Dec 21, 2013
InvertedHammer:

/

The same kind of researchers that told you that AIDS originated from Africa?

The same economic researchers that sold SAP to IBB?

The same economic researchers that sold "subsidy removal" to GEJ?

Believe them to your own detriment!

Who is the ignoramus now?

\
it's being done by Nigerians and foreigners... is your father crazy?

PS. you see, this is why I support abortion. sad
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by giles14(m): 6:32am On Dec 21, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob: You guys want South Africans to commit suicide o!

They have seriously agonized on this issue of Nigeria's economy being bigger than theirs. Unfortunately, it has happened to more respected countries in the world such as Germany and Japan watching powerlessly as India and China overtook their massive economies.

Take heart South Africans, it is just signs of the end times! May be you guys should use your high tech. weapons to help Yoruba people break away and form Odua Republic, because without Lagos alone, Nigeria's GDP will be sliced by a cool $100 billion dollars! Food for thought anyway! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
mumu and with out d igbo's and so other tribes lagos will b as poor as sokoto.and be informwd dat more than 65 precent of cargo for lagos port are moved to d eastern part of nigeria
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:00am On Dec 21, 2013
Henry120:

My friend shut up that your filthy dirty mouth. The fact that you and your family live on a dollar a day and in abject poverty, doesn't mean the rest of the population do.

People make this silly claim that 90% of nigerians live on 1 dollar a day, yet the number of L.G and samsung show rooms keep increasing in my neighbourhood. How are these one dollar population able to afford them?

I see you are redundant, however it would be foolhardy to drag in the rest of the population into your pathetic state of redundancy.
The last time I checked I knew I had an opinion regardless of one slick mouth,under develop grey matter brain like yours
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 21, 2013
Theben:
And you believe that a country with over 80 percent of it's population owning atleast a mobile phone has an average of it's population living below a dollar per day? Even a mo.ron won't think like this.
I'm entitled to my opinion so why not spill yours and not antagonize me by you m word slicky dummy
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Adamskuty(m): 7:06am On Dec 21, 2013
BluIvy:

Ok Mr, I thought you had an iota of brain in your had. If you knew I have been on this forum for a while people know I am a proud Batswana girl. Now coming to what you have said. You are trully deluded if you think you will ignore the world on your economics. Sorry wrong olodo! Continue to decieve yourself with pleasure. I know you were claiming that any person was working below you. Maybe a sweeper lol. Goodbye mr UK OGA on the top! cheesy cheesy cheesy grin What a joke!
blueivy baaaybee embarassed
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 21, 2013
mike404: THE GUY NA CORRECT NA ZOMBIE
punk as5 you one of nigeria menace
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:10am On Dec 21, 2013
boss1310:
a poor nigerian parent spend triple of that only on indomie and pap to feed a child for a month excluding school fees paid every 3 months.an average nigerian man is wealthy compared to a south african black.thats a fact
Does South Africa have First World type cities? Constant Electricity? Good Roads? Medical Care? Yes? No?

My man, face the fact, Nigeria is a dirt poor, disorganized and unorganized country and at the helm of the affairs is the greediest, corrupt, and most unenlightened man one can imagine.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:12am On Dec 21, 2013
giles14: mumu and with out d igbo's and so other tribes lagos will b as poor as sokoto.and be informwd dat more than 65 precent of cargo for lagos port are moved to d eastern part of nigeria

And if Lagos was to shut its waterways what will happen to that 65% cargo the East needs so badly for economic reasons?
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Adamskuty(m): 7:13am On Dec 21, 2013
faith96: So whose supposed to believe some local botched results done in Nigeria. tongue
tongue by Nigerians and for Niger cool cool

keep on suffering in ur poverty slum called kenya while we move forward grin grin grin grin

ur jungle will never progress,you and ur entire generation will keep on suffering,y'all starving apes grin

yes..we are africa's largest economy and we are a middle income country.. Ur sh1thole can keep on enjoying life being a low income country forever grin grin

may y'all continue to suffer,may ur sh1tty economy never grow.. Ameen grin

btw,the calculations were done by foriegners are u high on cow dung or something,u hiv kenyan?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:16am On Dec 21, 2013
Zer0:

90% living in abject povert. Lol.

Just someone once argued that Nigeria had it better in the seventies when things were cheap blah blah blah. And i asked him how many people owned a car in his street or could afford technology and he kept mute.

I think it's time we all become responsible and don't distort facts with ignorance.

The economic team of Jonathan's government has done credibly well and better than every other, i may not completely agree with GEJ's politics, but his economics is surely sound. The facts are there. Policies have been made to grow and stabilize the growth of our economy but we need to translate these policies to infrastructures. Which i believe should be the focus of the government within the next two fiscal years.

Development is not done on the pages of newspapers and good PR. The people living within and below poverty lines are actually a fraction of the numbers you guys peddle.

I am an economist and can authoritatively explain how these numbers will translate to improvement in your everyday life only if you wish to understand and not trivalize or politicize it.

We live in a better country today (economically). I know some people are so desperate to blinside Nigerians on how well we are faring. But we surely never had it better for a very long time.

or really,remember you the giant of africa now compare nigeria to your neighbour ghana.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Ikengawo: 7:28am On Dec 21, 2013
You seem to lack exposure. Most Nigerians lack exposure but feel they're entitled to speak on political manners. The Ghana Nigerians know is Accra. The Capital and Financial center of Ghana. The next question is has Accra surpassed or matched Abuja? no. Has it surpassed or matched Lagos? no.

unless you feel that this

trumps abuja and lagos.

Now leave Accra ghana and tell me what you see when you get the chance. Stop feeling entitled to speak on every issue.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Sekpeagah: 7:32am On Dec 21, 2013
largest but not the richest.all we want is a vibrant n booming economy.nt abt been d largest where the youth ar jobless.dull president with corrupt aids
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 21, 2013
Lildreezy:

u just said what was on my mind... Sanusi, Okonjo-iweala and deziani-madueke(even though shez corrupt) are doing well, But GEJ needs 2 put infrastruvture on ground, this coupled with the economic formula of this growth will bring nigeria 2 d starting line of realizing her potentials as africas Giant. As for now, development should complement growth, and please lets be frank, Its fucking slow.. Very slow, a lot should have being achieved if lootings and malpractices hadnt taken place in high places.. That's were i blame GEJz leadership..
Team Fresh Air wink
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 21, 2013
Sekpe agah: largest but not the richest.all we want is a vibrant n booming economy.nt abt been d largest where the youth ar jobless.dull president with corrupt aids
what are you, 12?
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 21, 2013
Ikengawo: You seem to lack exposure. Most Nigerians lack exposure but feel they're entitled to speak on political manners. The Ghana Nigerians know is Accra. The Capital and Financial center of Ghana. The next question is has Accra surpassed or matched Abuja? no. Has it surpassed or matched Lagos? no.

trumps abuja and lagos.

Now leave Accra ghana and tell me what you see when you get the chance. Stop feeling entitled to speak on every issue.
accra resembles Ibadan
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by nickxtra(m): 7:52am On Dec 21, 2013
Nigerians need food on their and not papers growth
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Adamskuty(m): 7:55am On Dec 21, 2013
Ikengawo: You seem to lack exposure. Most Nigerians lack exposure but feel they're entitled to speak on political manners. The Ghana Nigerians know is Accra. The Capital and Financial center of Ghana. The next question is has Accra surpassed or matched Abuja? no. Has it surpassed or matched Lagos? no.

trumps abuja and lagos.

is that accra,ghana's best city shocked

more like onitsha
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 21, 2013
^ difference is clear

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:58am On Dec 21, 2013

\
Country that doesnt even know how many citizens it has because some fear that the truth will cause chaos in the country because of political reasons.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn by manny4life(m): 7:59am On Dec 21, 2013
No matter how much you criticize, whether you like the figures or not, it's not for your headache. Continue castigating while investors are trooping and cashing in on the goldmine. BMM (Black Man Mentality)... Rubbish.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Remi Tinubu's Ordination As RCCG Pastor, APC Plot To Capture Christians For 2019 / Ekaette Unoma Akpabio Returns To Nigeria After Medication Abroad - Photos / Cult Leader Stabs Man For Voting APC During The Elections In Delta. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.