Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,325 members, 7,815,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 (4154 Views)

Society And Atheism / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) / Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 2:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
For several weeks I have tried to start writing this. Each time I have started, I have become instantly disillusioned and abandoned it.

Disillusionment, arising from what I believe will be the futility of writing this. And yet, write it, I must.

And so why am I disillusioned? What is the futility I refer to.

I refer to the futility of having a man stare at white, and call it black. Poker faced. Grim serious. Not joking. And genuinely believing it, even. And a very intelligent man, to boot.

Walk with me.
-------------------------------------------------

Where did their story start. They never knew. They didn’t know where they came from. They didn’t know where they were going to. They heard stories from their mothers, legends from their fathers. They could see, they could hear, they could taste, the world about them, its bounties and its terrors, they could feel. But most wonderfully, they could think. And speak.

They surged about with passions in their hearts; passions of love, passions of hate, passions of greed, passions of world.

And passions of fear.

From a primal tug deep in their groins, they would clutch at one another, male and female, and clutching, a new one of their kind would splurge through their bodies, and come into their world.

They would stare at the limitless ceiling of their world: they called it the sky – and behold the thousands of lights.

And clutching and clutching and clutching, their number would grow.

And grow.

And grow.

And they would build nations and cultures and language. They would be societies, they would civilize. They would wage war, and explore. And find new lands. . . . and find their kind on new lands.

They would enslave them.

They would kill them.

They would make nations of them.

And in the abundance of their thought, and their science, one day they built a ship. And they took to the skies and flew towards the thousands of lights.

And they peeped outside their world.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And they saw that their world was a glistening blue ball floating about in what seemed a void. It was floating around a large ball of fire, many times larger than their world. And there were a great many balls of fire about, and a great many worlds.

And no one could count the number of the worlds and the number of the fires.

They wondered.

Where the worlds all came from.

And where the great balls of fire came from.

The fires, that were, they could see, the thousands of lights in the sky of their world.

They wondered where they had come from.

And so a dispute arose in their midst: for some of their number said that the wonder of their existence was too great; they, and the worlds, and the great balls of fire, had come from a great power beyond all the worlds. But some of their number said nay; for they could not see such a power. . .

. . . .and they wondered and they wondered and they wondered.
Ah, I see now why I was hesitant to write. For I awoke to write an argument. Alas, I have written a story.

I have written a dream.

That argument, maybe I will write, when my shadow visits this place again. . .

Good morning.

Yours ever,
D.S

[size=5pt]To be continued. . . [/size]

2 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ooman(m): 2:55pm On Dec 22, 2013
ok, where is the sum?
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 3:00pm On Dec 22, 2013
ooman: ok, where is the sum?

It is for the initiated to see.

Anyhow, there will be more.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ooman(m): 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

It is for the initiated to see.

Anyhow, there will be more.

all you have up there are questions showing your confusion...

4 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 3:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
ooman:

all you have up there are questions showing your confusion...

So you have no questions. Lol, please leave me and mine to my musings.

By the way, if there is a single falsity in anything I wrote, do feel free to point it out. But if there is not, can you not just smile at an idle old man and let him be.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ooman(m): 3:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

By the way, if there is a single falsity in anything I wrote, do feel free to point it out. But if there is not, can you not just smile at an idle old man and let him be.

falsity? maybe not, purposeful? definitely not too

what is your point is the simple question here.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by LightningLord: 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2013

3 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ooman(m): 3:53pm On Dec 22, 2013
^^kind of solve it all. The thread is pointless.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 3:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
^^^ Yes, for the blind.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by plaetton: 4:33pm On Dec 22, 2013
Good poetry for a man that is not only a non-resident of our celestial neighborhood, but is also a self-confessed mad man. Lol.

Yes, madness does inspire good poetry.

But I see nothing new, no new insight, no new revelation: just the same old " the universe is so great that we must, as an urgent necessity, create a creator for it".

It just echoed in a much more elegant fashion, the earlier convoluted logic of Joshthefirst.

Cosmology according to Deepsight:

In the beginning was the word, and the word became many, and the words grew into big words, and the words became God, and the words were from Deepsight.

Lol.

6 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 4:40pm On Dec 22, 2013
plaetton: Good poetry for a man that is not only a non-resident of our celestial neighborhood, but is also a self-confessed mad man. Lol.

Yes, madness does inspire good poetry.

But I see nothing new, no new insight, no new revelation: just the same old " the universe is so great that we must, as an urgent necessity, create a creator for it".

It just echoed in a much more elegant fashion, the earlier convoluted logic of Joshthefirst.

In the beginning was the word, and the word grew into big words, and the words became God, and the words were from Deepsight.

Lol.

Lol, especially @ madman. I still do not deny that. I am mad. There can be no doubt.

Anyhow, I have lots of thoughts to write - a true "summary of all arguments" as my title says. The OP is an intro.

Relax.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 5:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
FIRST ARGUMENTS (OPTIONS. . . )

- - - - > The worlds, the big balls of fire - - ->

1. Came from nothing. (ex nihilo) - - - OR ->

2. Always existed: were just there. - - - > OR ->

3. Came from something. - - - AND ->

4. That "Something" - - -> always existed - - - > was Just there.

This is the first step. These are the first arguments. Then we discuss many other steps.

I had thought, that people would not argue against the idea that the universe had a cause: but may argue what the cause is. However, I was mistaken. Some atheists actually contest even the idea that the universe had a cause. On this board, notably thehomer and jayriginal have done so. This is why the sum of all arguments must commence with baby steps.

Very very. . .

Baby, baby. . .

2 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Redlyn: 7:37am On Dec 23, 2013
Something must have been uncaused. I stop at the universe because it's as far as I can see. beyond that it's just wild speculation based on the evidence presented to me in this world. I'll leave it that.

I think the first arguments premise should be the singularity or something not big balls of fire. We already know the earth or the sun wasn't always there.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 7:50am On Dec 23, 2013
Redlyn: Something must have been uncaused. I stop at the universe because it's as far as I can see. beyond that it's just wild speculation based on the evidence presented to me in this world. I'll leave it that.

I think the first arguments premise should be the singularity or something not big balls of fire. We already know the earth or the sun wasn't always there.

Yes sure. However even the existence of the singularity is still a theory... a postulation which should be reasoned through. I will be back, thanks.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Redlyn: 8:05am On Dec 23, 2013
Fair point. The "universe" then should do it. Including the multiverse theory.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by MrTroll(m): 2:08am On Dec 24, 2013
Deep Sight: FIRST ARGUMENTS (OPTIONS. . . )

False. Nobody knows...

False. Proven so.

speculation. No concrete evidence.

see 3 above.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by texanomaly(f): 7:27am On Dec 24, 2013
plaetton:

Nice one…

plaetton:
In the beginning was the word, and the word grew into big words, and the words became God, and the words were from Deepsight.
Lol.

Even better one…

Deep Sight:

You are old? How old is old? Interesting…
I have to wonder, because I’ve noticed there are NLers who think 30 is old. So I’m just wondering.

Lovely musings btw
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by thehomer: 8:12am On Dec 24, 2013
Deep Sight:

. . . .

I had thought, that people would not argue against the idea that the universe had a cause: but may argue what the cause is. However, I was mistaken. Some atheists actually contest even the idea that the universe had a cause. On this board, notably thehomer and jayriginal have done so. This is why the sum of all arguments must commence with baby steps.

Very very. . .

Baby, baby. . .

Careful now. The problem is that by "cause", you generally mean that someone maybe spoke the universe into existence or imagined it into existence. Would say a change of state from something to the universe that didn't need some mind directing things count as a cause to you?

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by PastorOluT(m): 8:56am On Dec 24, 2013
Deep Sight:
^^^ Yes, for the blind.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by cyrexx: 9:16am On Dec 24, 2013
*Definitely following this thread *
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Joshthefirst(m): 9:22am On Dec 24, 2013
thehomer:

Careful now. The problem is that by "cause", you generally mean that someone maybe spoke the universe into existence or imagined it into existence. Would say a change of state from something to the universe that didn't need some mind directing things count as a cause to you?
cause/kôz/
Noun:
A person or thing that gives rise to an action, phenomenon, or condition
Verb:
Make (something) happen

I believe you see enough to realize that a change of state had to be caused. Non-consciousness cannot give rise to consciousness, even in the smallest degree.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst:
cause/kôz/
Noun:
A person or thing that gives rise to an action, phenomenon, or condition
Verb:
Make (something) happen

I believe you see enough to realize that a change of state had to be caused. Non-consciousness cannot give rise to consciousness, even in the smallest degree.

Lol, somehow, non-consciousness gave rise to a conscious creator(or should I say cause).
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Joshthefirst(m): 9:57am On Dec 24, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, somehow, non-consciousness gave rise to a conscious creator(or should I say cause).
the creator is uncaused. Or else he is not the creator. Simple logic. Think.

Merry Christmas. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by cyrexx: 10:04am On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: the creator is uncaused. Or else he is not the creator. Simple logic. Think.

Merry Christmas. smiley

So you believe that something or someone can be uncaused?
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Joshthefirst(m): 10:11am On Dec 24, 2013
cyrexx:

So you believe that something or someone can be uncaused?
yes. Don't you believe it too?

Not just that I believe, the state and nature of this universe screams that fact to us.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 24, 2013
Joshthefirst: the creator is uncaused. Or else he is not the creator. Simple logic. Think.

Merry Christmas. smiley

Lol, classical example of begging the question and circular reasoning. Two logical fallacies lumped together in one statement

Same to you bro.

1 Like

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 10:48am On Dec 24, 2013
texanomaly:

Nice one…

Even better one…

You are old? How old is old? Interesting…
I have to wonder, because I’ve noticed there are NLers who think 30 is old. So I’m just wondering.

Lovely musings btw

I really didn't mean old as per age. I am in my Mid-thirties. But I meant "old" as per tiresome, cranky, nostalgic, been around, eccentric, etc.

Thanks very much.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 10:55am On Dec 24, 2013
thehomer:

Why is the idea of a transcendent mind so scary to you?

Anyway, you can ignore that. It's a rhetorical question.

Your position, which you have canvassed extensively on this board, is that the universe as it is "may be the default state" of existence, or "universe-like" objects. You were very happy to ignore the question as to why this is the "default state": to wit: why something, instead of nothing, as the default state. It is instructive that you are willing to countenance this magical proposition, whilst regarding similar magic propounded by religion as delusional and illogical.
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 10:58am On Dec 24, 2013
Mr Troll: False. Nobody knows...
False. Proven so.
speculation. No concrete evidence.
see 3 above.

Those were not assertions of mine, in case you didn't notice. They were various positions taken by various people, i specifically wrote "options". . . ?
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 12:51pm On Dec 24, 2013
Deep Sight: FIRST ARGUMENTS (OPTIONS. . . )

This is the first step. These are the first arguments. Then we discuss many other steps.

Very very. . .

Baby, baby. . .

Right.

Following on from this. But before I do, I should make a brief comment on strangeness.

Most people live their lives within a "normalcy" that allows them to be completely oblivious of just how absolutely strange and odd this world, this existence of ours, is. I do not. Although it is a dysfunction of some sort, and troubles me a great deal, I live every day with an acute consciousness of the strangeness of life and of our existence: the strangeness of everything about us. Indeed, the strangeness of our very own lives.

For this is exactly what has happened, as far as we know:

In what appears a stagnant void, existing, for all observable purposes, eternally in the past, a sudden burst of matter and energy occurred. This sudden burst, as far as we know, took place about 14 billion years ago, in terms of our current measurement of time. From a single point of virtually infinite energy, the origin and nature of which is unknown, an expansion of matter and energy proceeded, the size and scale of which is absolutely unfathomable to the human mind. The size of the observable universe (not to speak of the universe, whole) is unbelievable and out of all proportion to that which the human mind can visually grasp or comprehend.

Any person who does not regard this (the sudden blossoming into existence of the universe from the point of a singularity) as a pretty strange thing to occur in a seeming void, will have to be pretty strange himself. But wait, that is only the beginning of the strangeness which I tried to convey in such light words in the intro contained in my OP.

It gets stranger. Within the same universe, there, from chemical interactions, at some point in time, supposedly, something quite special and different emerges. Something different from the dead matter about it - living organisms. These organisms grow and evolve over time. Along the way, plant life emerges, also, conscious, feeling, breathing creatures, animals. Ultimately, mankind come forth - self-conscious, thinking, feeling intelligent beings with a sense of past, present and future, and with such very strange tendencies as art, science, music, philosophy, and even cosmological philosophy, religion, as well as moral and societal codes and laws.

In this interaction, in their societies, they create galaxies of knowledge, of new learning, of ideas without limit. But, as with all other living things about them: notwithstanding the high extent of their minds, the loves and passions of their lives, their extensive pursuits: at some point - they die.

And what does this death mean. That every single man, woman and child walking on this earth, floating around the sun, within the larger universe - will lie motionless in death, and rot away. You, me, everyone.

From the first mystery of the big b.ang, what triggered it, what powered it, why it happened at all, to the mystery of first life, and then on to the mystery of self-conscious intelligent life, and on to the mystery of death, it is all a really, really odd thing that has happened, that is happening, and that continues to happen. The existence of the universe, the existence of life, and the existence of us.

Thus people seek meaning in their lives, for otherwise it is perplexing. The sheer futility of compulsory and unavoidable death, the enigma of it all, is enough to compel man to seek meaning in his life: however it is also sufficient to render man renegade, not caring one way or the other. For if all things end in death, why should man seek any ideal higher than to enjoy himself within this brief stay under the sun.

When the atheist thus preaches to the religionist, asking the religionist to forsake the coagulation of ideas which give him purpose and meaningfulness in his otherwise perplexing existence, the atheist should be ready to offer a purpose and a meaningfulness higher and better, in lieu of the purpose and meaning of the life of the religious.

The atheist would do well to understand that few people would choose the seeming perplexing meaninglessness and randomness of "chance" life, in a "chance" universe, over a meaning, a purpose and an order. Such meaning, purpose and order, the atheist should inculcate into his evangelism, before seeking to deconvert the theist.

An unenviable task, given the strangeness of all things about us, as described above. . . .

3 Likes

Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by DeepSight(m): 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2013
Now, I have said my bit on strangeness. We must now go back to the arguments on atheism and theism. But before doing so I wish to make one very important clarification and caveat: this discussion is about atheism and theism: the philosophical and cosmological question of the existence of God as creator: I thus will not countenance any religiously guided arguments based on the ontology of this or that god of this or that tribe or ethnic group. The discussion will be about the existence of a CREATOR of the universe, and the logical questions that arise therefrom, period. Thus I do not expect anyone to ask me, for example, why Yahweh is a genocidal misogynist, why Allah approves of killing apostates, or why Zeus is not to be considered as God. Thank you.

Be back later. . . .
Re: The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 by ooman(m): 2:11pm On Dec 24, 2013
Deep Sight:

Right.

Following on from this. But before I do, I should make a brief comment on strangeness.

Most people live their lives within a "normalcy" that allows them to be completely oblivious of just how absolutely strange and odd this world, this existence of ours, is. I do not. Although it is a dysfunction of some sort, and troubles me a great deal, I live every day with an acute consciousness of the strangeness of life and of our existence: the strangeness of everything about us. Indeed, the strangeness of our very own lives.

For this is exactly what has happened, as far as we know:

In what appears a stagnant void, existing, for all observable purposes, eternally in the past, a sudden burst of matter and energy occurred. This sudden burst, as far as we know, took place about 14 billion years ago, in terms of our current measurement of time. From a single point of virtually infinite energy, the origin and nature of which is unknown, an expansion of matter and energy proceeded, the size and scale of which is absolutely unfathomable to the human mind. The size of the observable universe (not to speak of the universe, whole) is unbelievable and out of all proportion to that which the human mind can visually grasp or comprehend.

Any person who does not regard this (the sudden blossoming into existence of the universe from the point of a singularity) as a pretty strange thing to occur in a seeming void, will have to be pretty strange himself. But wait, that is only the beginning of the strangeness which I tried to convey in such light words in the intro contained in my OP.

It gets stranger. Within the same universe, there, from chemical interactions, at some point in time, supposedly, something quite special and different emerges. Something different from the dead matter about it - living organisms. These organisms grow and evolve over time. Along the way, plant life emerges, also, conscious, feeling, breathing creatures, animals. Ultimately, mankind come forth - self-conscious, thinking, feeling intelligent beings with a sense of past, present and future, and with such very strange tendencies as art, science, music, philosophy, and even cosmological philosophy, religion, as well as moral and societal codes and laws.

In this interaction, in their societies, they create galaxies of knowledge, of new learning, of ideas without limit. But, as with all other living things about them: notwithstanding the high extent of their minds, the loves and passions of their lives, their extensive pursuits: at some point - they die.

And what does this death mean. That every single man, woman and child walking on this earth, floating around the sun, within the larger universe - will lie motionless in death, and rot away. You, me, everyone.

From the first mystery of the big b.ang, what triggered it, what powered it, why it happened at all, to the mystery of first life, and then on to the mystery of self-conscious intelligent life, and on to the mystery of death, it is all a really, really odd thing that has happened, that is happening, and that continues to happen. The existence of the universe, the existence of life, and the existence of us.

Thus people seek meaning in their lives, for otherwise it is perplexing. The sheer futility of compulsory and unavoidable death, the enigma of it all, is enough to compel man to seek meaning in his life: however it is also sufficient to render man renegade, not caring one way or the other. For if all things end in death, why should man seek any ideal higher than to enjoy himself within this brief stay under the sun.

When the atheist thus preaches to the religionist, asking the religionist to forsake the coagulation of ideas which give him purpose and meaningfulness in his otherwise perplexing existence, the atheist should be ready to offer a purpose and a meaningfulness higher and better, in lieu of the purpose and meaning of the life of the religious.

The atheist would do well to understand that few people would choose the seeming perplexing meaninglessness and randomness of "chance" life, in a "chance" universe, over a meaning, a purpose and an order. Such meaning, purpose and order, the atheist should inculcate into his evangelism, before seeking to deconvert the theist.

An unenviable task, given the strangeness of all things about us, as described above. . . .

@bold - what is the meaning, purpose and order you speak of in a world where meaning and purpose to life is not inherent.
And there is nothing like order as we understand it in the quantum world, its an unpredictable world. Quantum explains the universe. So read some books ehn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The War In Syria And End Time Prophecy: Any Correlation? / Dr. Sunday Adelaja, What Are You Still Doing In Ukraine? / What Do You Understand As Palm Sunday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.