Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,096 members, 7,814,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. (18655 Views)

Army Recovers Arms In A Coffin At A Checkpoint (Photos) / Father Of Two, Tortured To Death At Sokoto Checkpoint By Policemen (Pictured) / Mad Man Rapes DELSU Student At ATM Centre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by latrust(f): 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
This is painful
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by toshmann(m): 4:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
Gdjay: We Nigerians dont value life. So it is now ok for soldiers to kill innocent unarmed civillians?! Seen. Just for one second think it was your own innocent brother in that bus going for that wedding. This that happened is the same thing as if the soldiers dragged him out of the bus and put a bullet in his head, it is MURDER. Besides, we've only heard the story as the soldiers are telling it, abi na military spokesperson tell us wetin happen.

What if the soldier was your brother? What of your cousin in the army had been killed by terrorist in a car bomb and your brother sees another car breaking checkpoint security. Everywhere in the world, if any one crosses soldiers check point in a territory of security concerns, that is an open invitation to shoot. It is not peculiar with the Nigerian Army.

The driver is to blame, period. If he didnt do that, the soldier wouldn't shoot.

If you jump out from a plane and fall to the ground and die, who is to blame? The guy who jumped from the plane or the force of gravity that pulled him down? The soldiers reaction is like the force of gravity. A natural consequence to an event. The event here being breach of security.

When you breach security you invariably INVITE SHOOTING. Look at this unarmed woman shot for a breach of security at White House and Capitol. This is standard all over the world. Breach security, gun fire follows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOux7w3dSI

Instead of looking for soldiers to blame, better take responsibility and train your loved ones not to breach armed security for any reason.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by leonshom(m): 4:36pm On Dec 27, 2013
Kini iwo naa damo? U dnt knw d pains,sorrow and grieve d family of dat guy wuld be feelin rightnow, supoz dat guy happens 2b a member of ur family,ow wuld u feel?
Zamizoni:

ELEYI O DA NKAN KAN MO
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by boolet: 5:51pm On Dec 27, 2013
Licensed-2-Kill:

i was talkin of standard protocols and you were askin me how many US soldiers have been killed?
I guess i shld provide you wt hotlines to US DOS so u cld confirm in person.
dats dumb jst plain dumb, even for ur standard.

u dont knw anything
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by 617aircav: 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
The ignorance of some people is amazing and is the reason nigeria is so backward. A bus full of people speeds past a checkpoint and some idiots believe they deserve to be shot at. The soldier should be tried for murder, and the driver for negligent homicide. When you join the armed services, you are supposed to take the risks that civilians cant take, and not put civilians in danger. RIP Young man.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by soulglo: 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
ViKtor1094:

What do u expect from them?? They should wait to confirm that d passengers are not suicide bombers after they detonate the explosives they are carrying? why will anybody in his sane mind try to jump a military checkpoint?
I feel bad for the victim but u can't blame the soldiers for what happened.

You are the reason why I believe that people deserve the leaders they get. You deserve Nigeria and everything that comes with it the way it is. This post should win the stupidest post of the year award. Even in War there are laws that people follow. If an American soldier shoots at a moving vehicle as it drove away in freaking Afghanistan and someone gets killed they know that there will be hell to pay. But in Nigeria it is Nigerians that will say oh come on screw me in the ass while I bend over because after all I was already bending over.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Ceorhemz(m): 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
joker5180: remember this is KATSINA not KANO, BORNO or YOBE states
Man, North is north o. Whether Jos or Niger. Didnt you hear of the Daura bombblast. My people from the south dont realy know the situation of things here. You dont beat a checkpoint or they shoot. That is the order. The driver should be held accountable and the soldier too. So sorry for the deceased. Omo olomo
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by soulglo: 6:58pm On Dec 27, 2013
617aircav: The ignorance of some people is amazing and is the reason nigeria is so backward. A bus full of people speeds past a checkpoint and some idiots believe they deserve to be shot at. The soldier should be tried for murder, and the driver for negligent homicide. When you join the armed services, you are supposed to take the risks that civilians cant take, and not put civilians in danger. RIP Young man.

Why are you surprised? Nigerians have been so abused that even when they are being treated like animals they smile and take it and then unleash pent up aggression on the next unsuspecting weaker person they see. Order of the day
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Ceorhemz(m): 7:11pm On Dec 27, 2013
leonshom: Kini iwo naa damo? U dnt knw d pains,sorrow and grieve d family of dat guy wuld be feelin rightnow, supoz dat guy happens 2b a member of ur family,ow wuld u feel?
We all sympathize with the family of the boy. But the driver shouldnt have beaten the checkpoint in the North. Its a security threat. Even in kaduna, if a bike or a car approach a checkpoint, they slow down,they dont run. The driver knew that. Maybe the soldier should have been cautious. But its the situation of our country. These Jtfs too are losing their lives to these terorist. Its just reactionary. So sorry for that young man
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by bernabc: 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
The soldier would hv fired d tyre of d vehicle to halt it. Quite unfortunate albeit. RIP.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by toshmann(m): 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
soul_glo:
If an American soldier shoots at a moving vehicle as it drove away in freaking Afghanistan and someone gets killed they know that there will be hell to pay.

'. . . . . . .as it drove away" is very very very different from driving through a checkpoint beating security protocol in the process. . .
i have given evidence of US soldiers shooting and indeed killing civilians who passed through checkpoints. let's not even go near israeli soldiers or russian soldiers.
i think you should talk to a security expert to understand my argument. this is a sad story. someone just died. that is one family changed forever. however, i'm very sure, whomever the soldier is, in the unlikely event that he is taken to court, he will be vindicated. unfortunately someone is dead.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by meforyou1(m): 8:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ceorhemz: We all sympathize with the family of the boy. But the driver shouldnt have beaten the checkpoint in the North. Its a security threat. Even in kaduna, if a bike or a car approach a checkpoint, they slow down,they dont run. The driver knew that. Maybe the soldier should have been cautious. But its the situation of our country. These Jtfs too are losing their lives to these terorist. Its just reactionary. So sorry for that young man
the driver didnt beat the checkpoint! Haba. He was trying to maneuver and overtake a truck in the checkpoint. And animalistic soldiers who don't think shot and killed a young, innocent undergraduate, whose only fault was that he was going home to attend a wedding
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by meforyou1(m): 8:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
toshmann:

'. . . . . . .as it drove away" is very very very different from driving through a checkpoint beating security protocol in the process. . .
i have given evidence of US soldiers shooting and indeed killing civilians who passed through checkpoints. let's not even go near israeli soldiers or russian soldiers.
i think you should talk to a security expert to understand my argument. this is a sad story. someone just died. that is one family changed forever. however, i'm very sure, whomever the soldier is, in the unlikely event that he is taken to court, he will be vindicated. unfortunately someone is dead.
my friend, shut the hell up. Where in the article was it stated that the driver beat checkpoint and drove away.
U are not in Nigeria and don't understand the type of traffic that builds up in those stupid checkpoints, else you will understand the driver's frustration and action. But I can bet with the last breath in me that he was not beating any military checkpoint
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by meforyou1(m): 8:23pm On Dec 27, 2013
Nigerian-Americans sitting in the comfort of their rooms in sane countries talking rubbish. What caused d great London riot last year or that of France. Killing of a citizen by the police and the youths brought the great nations down. In the north, those soldiers are heartless. At their checkpoints, traffic builds for as much as 2km. Hundreds of cars and trucks line up. If u try to overtake a trailer and stay in front of the line, they shoot and kill innocent passengers. Jos-bauchi road that used to be 1hr now takes at least 3 hers. And d worst is that the soldiers don't even search. When u get to d front of the line they will just wave you to go. So why then holding up hundreds of cars for just a wave of the hand
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by eejo(m): 8:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
fellow nairaland it not easy in the north the army had lost gallant men so when a vehicle fails to stop they had to stop it .
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Caprison(m): 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ceorhemz: We all sympathize with the family of the boy. But the driver shouldnt have beaten the checkpoint in the North. Its a security threat. Even in kaduna, if a bike or a car approach a checkpoint, they slow down,they dont run. The driver knew that. Maybe the soldier should have been cautious. But its the situation of our country. These Jtfs too are losing their lives to these terorist. Its just reactionary. So sorry for that young man
That's one thing they dnt understand,do you guys ask yourself how many soldier's that has died for our own interest n peace in those northern states n have you ask of their own family..You dnt av to judge them cus mayb this kinda thing has happen alot of times in their checkpoints which must av left alot of casualties...so beating a military checkpoint is a seriouse threat n their must b casualty cus it wasn't planed...i dnt no the reason why we dnt pity soldiers or blame anyone when they die at cross fire but we rain insult n cause when an individual is being killed accidentally..
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Ceorhemz(m): 11:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
me_for_you: the driver didnt beat the checkpoint! Haba. He was trying to maneuver and overtake a truck in the checkpoint. And animalistic soldiers who don't think shot and killed a young, innocent undergraduate, whose only fault was that he was going home to attend a wedding
Sir, have you been to the North before, their checkpoint is so organized that if you are sane as a driver, you cant say you want overtake a truck, AT SOLDIERS CHECKPOINT, IN THE NORTH, When soldiers are constantly been attacked by terorists using these buses and bike. The driver is wrong, very wrong. BUT maybe the soldier should have shot the tyre or something else. Its unfortunate
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Electrician: 11:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
Why is it DAT our military personnel r so qruel n our government is so daft in handling security matters n d rights of its citizens, Umar Aliyu Dodo is a very nice, cool headed , intelligent n a respectful brother , he was sitting beside d driver I.e on d passenger sit when dis soldiers followed deir vehicle just because d driver over took another vehicle , instead of them to tell them to park when dey meet up with them or shoot deir tyre or shoot d driver No dis soldier aimed at umar n shot him below his jaw near his neck n d bullet passed through n meet d person sitting next to him at his shoulder , So my questions r ,r our military personnel protecting us or our enemies ? Or dis soldier just want to turn katsina to borno or yobe ? So that he can b collecting d money daily as a JTF member ? Coz Umar Aliyu did nothing wrong
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Ceorhemz(m): 11:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
me_for_you: my friend, shut the hell up. Where in the article was it stated that the driver beat checkpoint and drove away.
U are not in Nigeria and don't understand the type of traffic that builds up in those stupid checkpoints, else you will understand the driver's frustration and action. But I can bet with the last breath in me that he was not beating any military checkpoint
Why dont you read the story again, or ask anyone who knows about military checkpoint before you get so emotional. The driver was later arrested, that shows that he is guilty. The soldier has his fault, but why isnt anyone blaming the DRIVER
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Electrician: 11:15pm On Dec 27, 2013
dis is umar may ur soul rest in peace bro, we luv but God loves u more n as for u soldiers God will judge u according to what u did to an innocent soul

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Ceorhemz(m): 11:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
Electrician: dis is umar may ur soul rest in peace bro, we luv but God loves u more n as for u soldiers God will judge u according to what u did to an innocent soul
your story is different to the one posted here. I thought the driver was running away from the checkpoint. If that is the case then, the soldier is cruel.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Electrician: 11:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
as for d driver DAT was said to b arrested it is a lie , d driver was not arrested for u to know he did nothing wrong , coz DAT check point was just a new one it wasn't dere even on Sunday , d check point was fixed just on Monday so many people didn't know about it , n d military personnel were even about leaving d check point then coz that was why dey r all in dere Green Hilux .
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Licensed2Kill(m): 11:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
Electrician: dis is umar may ur soul rest in peace bro, we luv but God loves u more n as for u soldiers God will judge u according to what u did to an innocent soul
may his soul find peace in the after life.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by esecoal(m): 12:01am On Dec 28, 2013
reganvida: Nigerian Soldiers in Katsina State on Thursday opened fire on a commercial vehicle with reg. number AY504KTN, killing one of the passengers, a student of the Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic in the

city. Capt. Ikedichi Iweha, the JTF spokesman in the state, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Katsina.

Iweha said that the soldiers opened fire on the vehicle when the driver attempted to beat a military checkpoint at Batagarawa area of the state.

Iweha confirmed said that one of the passengers in the vehicle was hit and that he died instantly.

The JTF spokesman said that the affected driver had been arrested while the vehicle had been impounded by the army.

Iweha said that investigation into the incident has also commenced.

Meanwhile, a witness, who pleaded anonymity, told newsmen that the driver allegedly attempted to overtake a truck at the checkpoint.

The witness said that the deceased was later identified as Umar Ali, 22, a National Diploma II student of Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic, Katsina.

According to the witness, the deceased was travelling along with his friends to Minna, Niger, for a wedding ceremony when the incident occurred.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/152132-soldiers-kill-passenger-check-point-katsina.html
#when will all this oppression stop..THE MILITARY has no business wit civilians.BESIDES THAT DRIVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN aware-OVER TAKING @ À ROAD BLOCK NOT minding Frsc's Warning..#too bad
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by esecoal(m): 12:03am On Dec 28, 2013
reganvida: Nigerian Soldiers in Katsina State on Thursday opened fire on a commercial vehicle with reg. number AY504KTN, killing one of the passengers, a student of the Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic in the

city. Capt. Ikedichi Iweha, the JTF spokesman in the state, confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Katsina.

Iweha said that the soldiers opened fire on the vehicle when the driver attempted to beat a military checkpoint at Batagarawa area of the state.

Iweha confirmed said that one of the passengers in the vehicle was hit and that he died instantly.

The JTF spokesman said that the affected driver had been arrested while the vehicle had been impounded by the army.

Iweha said that investigation into the incident has also commenced.

Meanwhile, a witness, who pleaded anonymity, told newsmen that the driver allegedly attempted to overtake a truck at the checkpoint.

The witness said that the deceased was later identified as Umar Ali, 22, a National Diploma II student of Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic, Katsina.

According to the witness, the deceased was travelling along with his friends to Minna, Niger, for a wedding ceremony when the incident occurred.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/152132-soldiers-kill-passenger-check-point-katsina.html
#when will all this oppression stop..THE MILITARY has no business wit civilians.BESIDES THAT DRIVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN aware-OVER TAKING @ À ROAD BLOCK NOT minding Frsc's Warning..#too bad
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by soulglo: 12:53am On Dec 28, 2013
toshmann:

THAT IS A LIE. A LIE. You cannot shoot indiscriminately especially when the driver was driving away from and not towards anybody. Even if they were armed robbers running from the cops and you know that there is an innocent civilian you shoot at the tires as a last resort. Last resort means there is clear and present danger to anyone and you need to save a life. Even then you do not fire indiscriminately. The soldier broke the law. Wow. Why will they not keep killing innocent people like flies. At the end of the day they are even being thanked for it.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Originalsly: 3:48am On Dec 28, 2013
Electrician: as for d driver DAT was said to b arrested it is a lie , d driver was not arrested for u to know he did nothing wrong , coz DAT check point was just a new one it wasn't dere even on Sunday , d check point was fixed just on Monday so many people didn't know about it , n d military personnel were even about leaving d check point then coz that was why dey r all in dere Green Hilux .
Is this the final version? ...the picture keeps changing.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by VicbREEzy(m): 9:04am On Dec 28, 2013
Swaggot00: God bless nigeria. this is one of the billon reasons why my hustling niggas wont go back home .. i love this lyrics dunno the name of the group but i know they are group artist based in nigeria *as for me i go take broom' sweep my upper room lock myself i no go see the sun or moon no need for spoon' i no go chop' i go fast morning and afternoon' people go assume say i meet my doom inside my room....... '*
Originalsly: Is this the final version? ...the picture keeps changing.
the name of the group is The Pulse.
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2013
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by SenatorJames(m): 4:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
RIP to the future leader, but the driver is to be blame more than the soldier. For some saying is Kastina Kano, Yobe or Borno? Will boko haram go to NTA to announce before entering any state? So army should wait till they hear the first bomb in Kastina before taking action. I'm sure there is military check point in Ibadan or Calabar where there is no bomb blast. Lets try to be proactive than reactive
Re: Soldiers Kill Student At Checkpoint In Katsina. by ugovautogear: 8:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
UGOV AUTO GEAR; The solution to your AUTOMATIC GEAR BOX problem.visit us @ www.ugovautogear..com. e-mail @ ugovautogear@gmail.com.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Disgraced And Paraded Unclad In Igbere, Abia By Angry Youths For Stealing / Ogun Guard Kills Generator Repairer Over An Argument / Robbers Kill Traders At Alaba Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.