Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,803 members, 7,817,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men (24282 Views)

How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Beijing 2008 Olympics - Football Event (Falcons) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by vichel(m): 12:20pm On Aug 13, 2008
@ yummys01

Am not sayin dat mikel should have been chosen, but he new he had no midfield, but has about six strikers. He chose dis team, and every blame should go to him, for any technical deficiencies
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 12:22pm On Aug 13, 2008
We have won, and I think that counts for something.

who do we meet in the q/f?

PS: I beg wetin be the name of this guy that plays like Jay-Jay? He played for the u-17 that won the cup?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by sleekstar: 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2008
Abeg the guys tried but it was a school boy error from the goal keeper.
If you missed the match, see commentary

http://www.711football.com/index.php/news/full_news/1029
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by youngies(m): 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2008
PS: I beg wetin be the name of this guy that plays like Jay-Jay? He played for the u-17 that won the cup?

His name is Rabiu Ibrahim
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Iyineda(m): 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2008
FBS:

shocked Wow
I do not remember seeing any player on the pitch with skills close to those Jay-Jay had. Maybe you're talking about Obasi, the n° 7. He was 'aite. But he lacks experience. My favorite player in the squad is Peter Osaze Odemwingie. I want him to shine more !! cheesy
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2008
His name is Rabiu Ibrahim
many thanks Youngies.

that guy should be nutured, he is what we need. A Midfield Maestro!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by opokonwa(m): 12:29pm On Aug 13, 2008
What if Nigeria had no Mikel? Does it mean that we would not play football?
It is we Nigerians who are responsible for over-hyping arrogant peeps like Mikel and turning them into gods overnight.
Besides, Mikel today is not the same Mikel he was in 2005. Mourinho has completely changed his game from a creative No.10 to a defensive No.4
So I wonder what magic you want him to perform besides dorning the shirt marked 'Mikel'.
It is better that Coach Siasia dealt with Mikel's ego now than risk more of it in the Super Eagles in future.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2008
Iyineda
Wow
I do not remember seeing any player on the pitch with skills close to those Jay-Jay had. Maybe you're talking about Obasi, the n° 7. He was 'aite. But he lacks experience. My favorite player in the squad is Peter Osaze Odemwingie. I want him to shine more !!

my guy, open your eyes and read well. I said he played in the U-17! and his name is Rabiu Ibrahim.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2008
Quarter finals:

Nigeria v Ivory Coast        (probable)

Argentina v Holland           (confirmed)

Winners play each other in semi's

Brazil vs Cameroun            (confirmed)

Italy vs Belgium                 (probable)

Winner play each other in semis
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Hannibal: 12:49pm On Aug 13, 2008
Emperoh:

I guess the game is wrapped up now
I am still not comfortable with the play of these guys now
If we meet the Argies or CIV, na wahala be that ooh
They are core professionals and will kill you off  for any miskates sorry mistake grin grin

I mentioned this last week and one poof felt it was too early to say.
U don't need to be a rocket scientist to know the quality between the Nigerian team and the Argies or Ivoriens.
Brazil is also thick with Anderson, Pato and a free scoring Ronaldinho.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by gabelogan(m): 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2008
with the football i saw this afternoon, i dont think the nigerian team is capable of winning any medal. monday james and the other right back were appaling. there was no midfield, although kaita did very well, and the strikers were very wasteful.

the bright spot for the team was ogbuke. that man boy has a lot of talent.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by nguage(m): 12:51pm On Aug 13, 2008
instead of complaining and throwing curses around, let's examine the team by identifying our strengths and our not-so-strong areas.

The defence was a little bit slow but I think its because defenders had to handle midfield duties and that's difficult.

The strikers were not so sharp I'm front of goal, they lacked precision and often made the wrong decisions. They don't know when to pass, when to dribble and when to take a shot at goal.

The team as a whole lacked a precise plan. I'm assuming Siasia told them to play like that since the opponents were playing with a man down.

The next game is against the young elephants of Ivory Coast. We need to start planning now.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2008
The Argies or Ivy's maybe good, but are very much beatable! Nigerians can do it!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Hannibal: 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2008
FBS:

The Argies or Ivy's maybe good, but are very much beatable! Nigerians can do it!

Beat a team of Messi, Riquelme and Mascherano??
Or can we beat the Ivoriens with Kalou, Bagayoko and the player of the tournament so far, Gervinho??
Nigeria should just forget it. . . . .We are not good enough for either the Argys or Ivory Coast unless Kanu, Uche joins the team. grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2008
messi, ehn, na 20 legs im get? abeg, they can be beaten, period! didnt we "almost" beat them in Under-20 if not for the same messi ojoro penalty. Our boys outplayed them in all departments,
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Hannibal: 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2008
@ FBS,

grin grin grin grin
Please don't make me laugh.

So because we almost won in 2005 mean we would win in 2008??
Congrats. cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by opokonwa(m): 1:33pm On Aug 13, 2008
I've not seen the Ivoriens play but I believe that we may have a psychological advantage playing them than playing the Argies.
But to score this Siasia team; far from impressive. We have just been lucky playing equally less impressive teams like Holland, China & the USA.
The real test comes from the Quarter Finals. If we ever survive the Ivoriens, then the Semis are the farthest I will give the team.
Except the rest of the competition is also as lack-lustre as our Dream team.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Hannibal: 1:36pm On Aug 13, 2008
opokonwa:

I've not seen the Ivoriens play but I believe that we may have a psychological advantage playing them than playing the Argies.
But to score this Siasia team; far from impressive. We have just been lucky playing equally less impressive teams like Holland, China & the USA.
The real test comes from the Quarter Finals. If we ever survive the Ivoriens, then the Semis are the farthest I will give the team.
Except the rest of the competition is also as lack-lustre as our Dream team.

U haven't seen the Ivoriens play?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
No wonder Nigerians think they would be easy to brush aside.
Watch out for him: G-E-R-V-I-N-H-O. grin cheesy
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 1:53pm On Aug 13, 2008
I don't think Naija can go past quarterfinals. . . . too much muscle, not enough brains. . . .wrong decision making all over the pitch. We need a Kanu/Berbatov/Bergkamp type of player. . . . . .there is nobody to dominate the centre of our attack and nobody that can hold the ball up and release the right passes. . . . central midfield is too weak, not enough skill. . . . . I respect SiaSia but he cannot tell me those are the best Under-23 midfielders Naija can produce. Last time I checked, Eromoigbe was Under-23. He can pocket any of those central midfielders we have masquerading as skillachis. Even Yakubu Alfa of Under-17's is more accomplished than any of them.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Cristalz(f): 2:09pm On Aug 13, 2008
Add to that list the silly selfishness of the players. I was just pissed this morning. . .instead of passing the ball to another player in a much better position to score,they were all mostly being selfish. Without proper team work and co-ordination,watch us crash out hard!!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by hollandis(f): 2:14pm On Aug 13, 2008
Cristalz:

Add to that list the silly selfishness of the players. I was just pissed this morning. . .instead of passing the ball to another player in a much better position to score,they were all mostly being selfish. Without proper team work and co-ordination,watch us crash out hard!!

nsofor and anichebe i guess
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 2:15pm On Aug 13, 2008
@hannibal

does it mean we wont or we cant? you can laugh if that makes you happy!

greece won the european champioship, did you or anyone give them the chance to? call it a fluke but they won and I believe our boys will go places!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by ayusman16(m): 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2008
I think they've just succeeded in increasing and postponing my blood pressure!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2008
Hannibal:

Beat a team of Messi, Riquelme and Mascherano??
Or can we beat the Ivoriens with Kalou, Bagayoko and the player of the tournament so far, Gervinho??
Nigeria should just forget it. . . . .We are not good enough for either the Argys or Ivory Coast unless Kanu, Uche joins the team. grin

Are u suggesting that we should not even play the quater final at all??

I dont think we should go into any match believing we will loose, even the team has Zidane, Kaka, and Gatuso in it.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 3:14pm On Aug 13, 2008
We can beat Ivory Coast. . . . they look selfish and wasteful as well . . . . but after that we are finished
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Wilfem(m): 3:23pm On Aug 13, 2008
Who are we meeting next in the Quater finals? I hope is not the Ivorians.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Olaolufred(m): 4:18pm On Aug 13, 2008
It will be an uphill task to win our Q/Final match.
Though it is very possible.

However, It is pessimissm that makes one becomes too critical about our team.

You who said, Argies and Ivys will batter nigeria 10:0 are dreaming.
You prophesied that holland will crush, but they didn't.
You said, Japan will show, but they didn't show.
You waited for US to break, and they didn't.

Please, each match has its pecularity.

And stop dying b4 death comes.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by mykali(m): 4:23pm On Aug 13, 2008
Olaolufred:

It will be an uphill task to win our Q/Final match.
Though it is very possible.

However, It is pessimissm that makes one becomes too critical about our team.

You who said, Argies and Ivys will batter nigeria 10:0 are dreaming.
You prophesied that holland will crush, but they didn't.
You said, Japan will show, but they didn't show.
You waited for US to break, and they didn't.

Please, each match has its pecularity.

And stop dying before death comes.

i concur.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Mustay(m): 4:28pm On Aug 13, 2008
Wilfem:

Who are we meeting next in the Quater finals? I hope is not the Ivorians.

yes it is
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Seun(m): 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2008
I need someone to inform me when a match is being played, so I can post about it on the home page. When is the next match?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Ibime(m): 5:15pm On Aug 13, 2008
Seun:

I need someone to inform me when a match is being played, so I can post about it on the home page. When is the next match?

Saturday 11am vs Ivory Coast.

Those in UK can watch it on NTAI (ch 213) or BBCi (red button)
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by emmydee(m): 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2008
wow, these Siasia guys lack drive. 10 against 11, they were still struggling against USA. If they meet Argentina or brazil, they will be beaten silly.

We simply have a bad team. They can't win the Gold, no way!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Oliseh Advises Siasia: “Egypt Not As Good As They Were Years Ago" / Europa League Trophy Stolen And Recovered / Vincent Kompany Has Been Appointed As New Manager Of Burnley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.