Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,098 members, 7,814,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men - Sports (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men (24265 Views)

How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Beijing 2008 Olympics - Football Event (Falcons) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by lordimpaq(m): 7:12am On Aug 15, 2008
you know at a point i thot i was the only one that didn't see it,

the fact that our left back and our right back are useless,

but its the truth, that is our weak link, they would be ruthlessly exposed if we played argentina, and May God help us against cote d'ivoire

because the Ivorians are very good,

Ambrose, gave away a goal against the japanese, gave away another goal against the Americans, Lets just hope he doesn't give another Xmas present like in siasia's words; against the Ivorians,

so far 50% for the team, we would be lucky to win gold,
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Mustay(m): 9:29am On Aug 15, 2008
lordimpaq:

because the Ivorians are very good,
the IVORIANS are just as bad as the Nigerians when it comes to the defence. They are prone to lose concentration - remember the serbia game.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by AnthoniO(m): 9:42am On Aug 15, 2008
Please what's the date/time for the NIG-CIV match?
Thanks.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Olumide7(m): 9:59am On Aug 15, 2008
I believe Nigeria will be playing in the finals possibly against Argentina. Many of you will remember the 1996 olympics when we played Brazil in the semi-final and Argentina in the final. Hopefully this year will be the same.

Why is Siasia complaining about the boys not finishing up-front? How can they when there were 2 lethal strikers on the bench. At least, Anichebe should have started that game in order to have more fire power upfront. The wings did all they could as instructed by Siasia to make sure more attack comes from the wings. I hope he starts Anichebe in place of Promise. I believe the attack would surely be much more powerful that way. So far the guys that have impressed me in the team has been Okonkwo, Okoronkwo, Nsofor, Ogbuke(Obasi).
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 10:01am On Aug 15, 2008
AnthoniO:

Please what's the date/time for the NIG-CIV match?
Thanks.

See thread 13.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Mustay(m): 11:13am On Aug 15, 2008
Click HERE to see the time on thread 13
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 11:17am On Aug 15, 2008
Olumide7:

I believe Nigeria will be playing in the finals possibly against Argentina. Many of you will remember the 1996 olympics when we played Brazil in the semi-final and Argentina in the final. Hopefully this year will be the same.

Why is Siasia complaining about the boys not finishing up-front? How can they when there were 2 lethal strikers on the bench. At least, Anichebe should have started that game in order to have more fire power upfront. The wings did all they could as instructed by Siasia to make sure more attack comes from the wings. I hope he starts Anichebe in place of Promise. I believe the attack would surely be much more powerful that way. So far the guys that have impressed me in the team has been Okonkwo, Okoronkwo, Nsofor, Ogbuke(Obasi).

You are trying to be funny abi?

Is it the same Okonkwo that was passing to the USA in his own half or giving them lame freekicks near the box 18 (in conjunction with Monday James) when we have a short keeper, we are historically poor in dealing with crosses and the USA has a dangerous man in the air in the form of McBride. Due to this sheer stupidity, led to USA hitting the bar with a header in the 89th minute. If they had scored, it would have been 2-2 and we were out. He was in the USA box 18 trying to score in the 93rd minute, when we were supposed to be running out the game at 2-1, lets not forget he is part of our back four. I don't want to see him on the pitch again.

I would really like to know what Okoronkwo has done, when he has not delivered ONE cross and has never made a dangerous run into space or leading to him taking a shot to test the keeper in THREE GAMES, and he is suppose to be a right field player. Against the USA, he was even trying to dribble a player in Nigeria's corner flag, lost the ball and the USA player crossed to Holden in Box 6 (Monday James strangely decided he is a big player that should be playing centre back living him free to blast at our goal), luckily for us Holden gba sigbo (blasted it high and wide). If he had scored, it would have been 1-1 in the seventy something minute and we would have been out if we did not score by the end of the game.

Keep on being funny. Me I no dey in the mood to laugh.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 1:48pm On Aug 15, 2008
Okonkwo had a dismal performance against the USA.

But the same Okonkwo played so well against Holland and Japan so much that in the Japanese match the commentator said that being one of the few home based players in the team, with the kind of performance he has seen so far the boy might not be in naija club for long.
So thats football for you people have their bad days at times.

Okoronkwo on the other hand has made very important contributions to the team. Against Japan he broke from the right, laid a clean pass for Osaze which Osaze should have tapped into an empty net. But Osaze missed from the inner box.

Even the first Goal in the Japanese match was as a result of his break from the right which he gave to promise, promise to Osaze and Osaze to Nsofor who finally finished it off.

These boys have not been perfect, there have been mistakes here and there. . . . . . .  but what no one can take away from them is there team spirit. For me I hope they improve but I will support them and hope for a win regardless of who they face.

I also like the fact that we are able to always go into a match with the hope that we have super-subs like Anichebe who can come in and make a difference. Sometimes what wins a football match for you is psycology and the power of your bench.

If we start a match with all our fire power, and somehow they don't gel . . . . .  we will have a situation where there is no redemption.

I think Siasia's tactics is working just fine . . . . .  "if it ai'nt broken why fix it".
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 15, 2008
Noticed that this thread is filled with psots from guys , ladies c'mmon ,did u pple not watch the game?anyways i talk for myself, our boys are gr8t and even given the opportunity their counterparts in Europe have ,sure they will fly !!! yet still flying with crimped wings sad
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Derby: 7:18pm On Aug 15, 2008
When is nigeria playing again?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Fadajasi(m): 10:22pm On Aug 15, 2008
Tomorrow
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by DrKitaun(m): 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2008
Mc Kren

Okonkwo was wack against Holland, he was probably the worst player on d pitch cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Emperoh(m): 1:57am On Aug 16, 2008
I saw the CIV v Australia game and i bet you all the fears i had about these guys vanished. I mean CIV
Not to say they aren't good, i am taking nada from them. Gervinho (sounds brazilian ) and Kalou alone can be a handful
But somehow i trust Siasia to rise to the occassion. He is not the type of coach to play to the gallery.
i dare say he's about the best coach this country has now if not the best.
Watch for a packed midfield and some counter attacking move moro.I hate to think of how selfish our attackers have been through out
I just hope we are more composed in front of goal and play unselfishly this time around.
The Ivoriens are also spendthrifts goal wise. Kalou missed an open net on Wednesday.
But i dey fear that Gervinho guy. He has a knack for defence splitting passes even as a striker
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 3:50am On Aug 16, 2008
And finally, why is a player born Gervais Yao Kouassi now called 'Gervinho'?

"When you get in the football squad at ASEC Abidjan they give you a nickname," he explained. "Because we have a Brazilian coach, we're given Brazilian names. So, everyone in this current squad has a nickname: mine is Gervinho, his [pointing to his interpreting team-mate] is Kalouno. It's basically a variation of your name. My full name is Gervais Yao Kouassi, so the Gervinho comes from Gervais. For me, the name has stuck."

The guy is no brazillian . . . . . He has not even been to brazil
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 4:47am On Aug 16, 2008
@ Emperoh

When does Kalou not miss? grin grin grin grin grin

The world's most brainless striker. grin grin grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by metodman(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2008
have they started the match ?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Derby: 10:17am On Aug 16, 2008
Which Time Is Nigeria Playing Today?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by metodman(m): 10:20am On Aug 16, 2008
i really want to know if they have started as well
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 11:07am On Aug 16, 2008
Camerounians are not smiling with the brazilians at all

Hope this match does not convert to rugby
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by toluxa1(m): 11:08am On Aug 16, 2008
Our match is 2pm
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by tosinadeda: 11:43am On Aug 16, 2008
the cameroon brazil match is just too rough
the ref is just carding the players
wnt be surprised if i see a red card in this match
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 11:52am On Aug 16, 2008
cameroun proving once again to be Italy of Africa

I duff my heart for Alex Song though, he has been very professional and disciplined unlike Banning.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2008
it was obvious that banning will go

Not sure why his coach did not substitute him
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 12:19pm On Aug 16, 2008
BBC is not showing the match. They are showing Argentina vs Netherlands instead.

That means it is only highlights those of us in the UK can see.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Cristalz(f): 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2008
Brazil scores.Lovely counter.

Poor Cameroun.They were holding up so well,even with 10 men.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Sagamite(m): 1:10pm On Aug 16, 2008
I reserve my comments about what Cameroun's keeper just did. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by McKren(m): 1:18pm On Aug 16, 2008
with little discipline, the camerounian game plan would have worked

Banning got too animated in my view
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Cristalz(f): 1:18pm On Aug 16, 2008
Lol.  grin

Not his fault.  .  .same disease worrying Vanzekin that affected him there.

2 - 0. Any need for this second half of ET? Its just torture for Cameroun.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by gabelogan(m): 1:20pm On Aug 16, 2008
my people, abeg what time is the nigeria game?

is it 1 or 2?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by Cristalz(f): 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2008
2pm
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by FBS: 1:56pm On Aug 16, 2008
match never start but you feel nothing but tension, but given that Belgium beat Italy, that should be a consolation, uffff cool
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men by fineyabber: 2:24pm On Aug 16, 2008
Our midfield is way better today, Apam is a new man. Is there hope?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Barcelona Must Pay €14 Million To Terminate Luis Suarez Contract / Osimhen Sent Off As Napoli Lose To Roma / Europa League Trophy Stolen And Recovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.