Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route (16326 Views)

WATCH THIS SPACE (Electrical Showcase & Review) / Spend Half That Cost on Building Your House? / What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by money121(m): 7:59am On Feb 22, 2017
sad
Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing

Check Out Picture Of The Wood Work For The Stone Coated Roofing Tile >> https://www.nairaland.com/1806964/check-out-picture-wood-work
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by fxbot: 8:01am On Feb 22, 2017
laudate:
It is time to revive this thread again. Now that price of cement has gone up, everyone is looking for alternatives. Someone posted this remark recently, on another thread. sad

I want to know if this chap's estimate of 5 million will cover the building of a 3-bedroom bungalow using stabilised laterite bricks. undecided Where is Godspikin, please? cool

mynd44, lalasticlala can we move this to the front page? We need ideas on alternative building materials.
It is very possible, very very possible. BUT there don't seem to be much experience people who know how to building using red brick. I have always nursed the idea of using red bricks to build house at 50% cut off on current concrete blocks.

A lot of our old houses were built using mud, including story buildings that are still in existence today. You wouldn't know they are mud houses except they tell you. But why would Nigerian neglect using it just shows the sickening bandwagon mentality that has eating us all. Most of the things we do is BECAUSE other people are doing it, not because it is right or because we BENEFIT any visible thing. Most people use Toyota because it is very common as lot and lots of other Nigerians are using it. Do you know that Nissan is cheaper and as rugged as Toyota, even Volks Passat?

When I look at the westerner we like to imitate for every damn thing, come and see what they magically do with red bricks. Search the internet and beautiful houses built using red bricks but here we like to feel pompous.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by topsy23: 8:01am On Feb 22, 2017
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by toxxnoni(m): 8:05am On Feb 22, 2017
Call Astro Geotech Nig.Ltd for you soil test / Geo-technical investigation, Engineering foundation / pile foundation, Geophysical investigation, water borehole drilling, core drilling, laboratory analysis and interpretative Report. Quality work and affordable prices
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Glomorte: 8:22am On Feb 22, 2017
Fellow Nairalanders,please I need your help.I'm a seventeen year old guy in secondary school,a boarding one at that but I have a problem,the fear to talk to girls or associate with them.I'm the gentle type but I'm always scared to just talk to a girl.And it really affects me.There was a time I and a girl were chosen for competition.As we were being questioned,I couldn't even ask for her opinions before answering because of the fear.Please what are your opinions and way out to this?Thanks.
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by fxbot: 8:22am On Feb 22, 2017
happney65:
I used laterite to fill up my land and level it up after the Foundation..It now goes for 17,000 per truck and i bought 5 trucks.Excluding the Price for Labour which was over 50K for filling.However i do not support using it for building...It does not look good enough to me jare..
People in developed worlds use it, they also use woods to build houses. Are they stupid for using such or is Nigeria much richer than them?

The problem I feel we have here is that we do not have good hands that know how bring out the beauty of red bricks.

3 Likes

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by obyno5(m): 8:29am On Feb 22, 2017
[[color=#000099][/color]This is really an eye opener. Tnx op
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Godspikin: 8:32am On Feb 22, 2017
For your red bricks (laterite as d main ingredient) building... contact us today... check the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/2818337/why-should-use-red-bricks

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 22, 2017
contact us for the supply of granites,sharp & plaster sand.Also for all types of filling sand for your sand filling jobs in lekki or any location in Lagos.

Call katchy on 08038989559 or 08037136667

30 tons trucks are also available for haulage and delivery of the materials.
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by swagifted(m): 9:26am On Feb 22, 2017
This article was originally posted in 2013, just incase you cared to notice.
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by hysteriabox(m): 9:55am On Feb 22, 2017
Hmmm. Long read.
I concur. With the cost of building growing exponentially, we really need to consider alternative designs, use of materials and methods. Its unfortunate that an average nigerian doesn't appreciate the beauty, durability and functionality of a building if building it is cheaper than the average, built using locally sourced materials and/or built using other unique methods other than the usual cement-block method.
We need to appreciate the power of simple plans yet having contemporary facades, eliminating or converting dead spaces for other use, use of certain materials locally sources cos they do the job fabulously.

Why build a house that is so large? Why not build spaces as to be used
Not many designers and owners realize they spent a lot in building spaces that turn out to be dead spaces
Our love for partitions has succeeded in fattening our budget n creating a wrong psychological effect on occupants
There are building methods that cost far less than using blocks and sand. If our schools and homes were build using some of these methods, many ppl would have been labdlords by now. Building using SIP, sandbags, wood, container designs come to mind
Finally, ppl all over the world are cutting cost by building "tiny houses". These has proven to cut down the budget by a little more than 50% depending. I discussed this with family and friends, even ventured to try and build one just to make a statement. But I learnt something- here in Africa, we will call you cheap if you dont go conventional... we ll call you stingy if you buy only what you need. We ll call you jobless if you try to fix things by yourself. We ll call you poor if your house is small, affordable and concise abd we ll call you other derogatory names if you use locally sourced materials n methods.

2 Likes

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by mallamabank: 9:57am On Feb 22, 2017
The above are built with stabilized laterite here in cross River state. The builder works nationwide

1 Like

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Godspikin: 3:11pm On Feb 22, 2017
laudate:
It is time to revive this thread again. Now that price of cement has gone up, everyone is looking for alternatives. Someone posted this remark recently, on another thread. sad

I want to know if this chap's estimate of 5 million will cover the building of a 3-bedroom bungalow using stabilised laterite bricks. undecided Where is Godspikin, please? cool

mynd44, lalasticlala can we move this to the front page? We need ideas on alternative building materials.

You can do a 3-bedroom with 5 million naira... Very possible.
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 5:04pm On Feb 22, 2017
swagifted:
This article was originally posted in 2013, just incase you cared to notice.

But a lot of the points raised in it, from beginning till date are still quite valid. sad Cost of cement has gone up, yet alternative building methods are NOT being explored. And the housing deficit in Nigeria exceeds 17 million houses annually. What is the way forward? we need to keep debating and searching for viable solutions, in order to make progress. undecided
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 5:08pm On Feb 22, 2017
Glomorte:
Fellow Nairalanders,please I need your help.I'm a seventeen year old guy in secondary school,a boarding one at that but I have a problem,the fear to talk to girls or associate with them.I'm the gentle type but I'm always scared to just talk to a girl.And it really affects me.There was a time I and a girl were chosen for competition.As we were being questioned,I couldn't even ask for her opinions before answering because of the fear.Please what are your opinions and way out to this?Thanks.

Does this look like the romance section or health section of NL, to you? Or are you just being deliberately mischievous by posting a non-related comment on a thread like this one?

1 Like

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by odaniel1(m): 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2017
mallamabank:
The above are built with stabilized laterite here in cross River state. The builder works nationwide

Nice Samples..My only question is..
can they be as durable as concrete-built houses (do they last longer?)
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 11:00pm On Feb 22, 2017
fxbot:
It is very possible, very very possible. BUT there don't seem to be much experience people who know how to building using red brick. I have always nursed the idea of using red bricks to build house at 50% cut off on current concrete blocks.

A lot of our old houses were built using mud, including story buildings that are still in existence today. You wouldn't know they are mud houses except they tell you. But why would Nigerian neglect using it just shows the sickening bandwagon mentality that has eating us all. Most of the things we do is BECAUSE other people are doing it, not because it is right or because we BENEFIT any visible thing. Most people use Toyota because it is very common as lot and lots of other Nigerians are using it. Do you know that Nissan is cheaper and as rugged as Toyota, even Volks Passat?

When I look at the westerner we like to imitate for every damn thing, come and see what they magically do with red bricks. Search the internet and beautiful houses built using red bricks but here we like to feel pompous.

You are so-oo right! wink In fact, with all the universities that we currently have, I would have expected them to conduct more research into how to make stabilised mud bricks stronger and safer for use, in addition to how to mass produce such blocks for affordable housing programmes.

State govts should start insisting on using these laterite bricks and mud blocks for mass hosing projects wherever possible, in order to popularise its use, and bring costs down. They should also partner with organisations like Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI), Nigerian Institute of Building (NIOB), Nigerian Institute of Architects (NIA) etc, in order to train artisans, builders, brick layers & others on standard best building practice, so they can acquire relevant skills in construction of houses using stabilised laterite bricks and mud blocks. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by swagifted(m): 11:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
laudate:

But a lot of the points raised in it, from beginning till date are still quite valid. sad Cost of cement has gone up, yet alternative building methods are NOT being explored. And the housing deficit in Nigeria exceeds 17 million houses annually. What is the way forward? we need to keep debating and searching for viable solutions, in order to make progress. undecided
red bricks ti take over
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 2:59pm On Feb 23, 2017
mallamabank:

Hi, are those stabilised laterite blocks mass produced, or are they moulded one-by-one from the laterite on ground, at the project site? undecided Kindly confirm. And are each of those blocks mixed with cement, when they are being made?
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 2:10am On Feb 24, 2017
topsy23:
oNigerite is using the same method to build house in Nigeria. There is a completed project in portharcourt rumuji area. No stress and very fast. 3bedeoom flat can be deliver within 2weeks. There is another on-going project with the same method along Lekki -Ajah road immediately after the second toll gate. We handle Electrical and plumbing installations for them.

I have posted one of the pictures here, so that we can see exactly what it looks like. But how durable is it? It looks as if the walls are thin and can easily be pierced or shattered by a sharp object. Or am I wrong?

What about the interior? Is it insulated? What material are the boards made of? undecided Won't it get too hot inside the building?shocked

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 2:35am On Feb 24, 2017
Would these Nigerite houses be as strong as those built with laterite bricks or stabilised mud blocks? Kindly read up more about houses built with stabilised laterite blocks on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3142733/building-interlocking-bricks-photos/2#down .

Here is another thread that deals with construction works: https://www.nairaland.com/1376075/alternative-building-technology-application-nigerian

jojoki:
I used the Hydroform Bricks materials for a clinic construction like 3 years ago. It was a wonderful experience then
laudate:
Are those the pictures of the clinic? Wow! Nice!! cheesy Can you kindly give a rough estimate of the budget spent on the building then? We can adjust for inflation and run the current numbers, to see if it beats using the wet construction method. What was your experience on site, using these laterite bricks?

@Jojoki, can you kindly respond please?

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by laudate: 2:50pm On Feb 24, 2017
demovertion:
the high number of Nigerians who don’t own a home. A recent study confirmed that over 70% of Nigerians, particularly residents of Lagos, continue to live in rented properties. Affordability remains the biggest problem as many people, despite having decent jobs and a fair income, cannot afford the high-interest mortgages offered by Banks.
This your chance!!!
Not all of us will be millionaire or billionaire but, with this bizz we can create more middle class.
By using laterite 80% 10-20% cement with give you solid bricks.
With machine below.

Hi demovertion, hope you are doing good. I had to move your post from here: https://www.nairaland.com/2970495/quotation-right-2-bedroom-apartment/3#43503422 down to this thread. Hope you don't mind. Did your firm build this brick house shown below? If the answer is yes, can you give an estimated cost of the whole project? How much cheaper was it to build, using stabilised laterite bricks as compared to the normal sandcrete blocks?

1 Like

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by topsy23: 9:29pm On Feb 24, 2017
laudate:

I have posted one of the pictures here, so that we can see exactly what it looks like. But how durable is it? It looks as if the walls are thin and can easily be pierced or shattered by a sharp object. Or am I wrong?

What about the interior? Is it insulated? What material are the boards made of? undecided Won't it get too hot inside the building?shocked

Thanks for the pictures, You later copied them from the link. The external wall is not something that water can easily damage. The external wall look like a solid materials that is water resistance. The inner wall is like a plaster board that looks like normal block wall after screeding. You can hardly differentiate the wall from normal block wall.
The board is also manufactured by Nigerite. Guarantee will be given to the client after completion but with condition anyway.

The house look like what they build in oversea after completion.

Below is the link for people that are yet check.

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/15.

Note: We only handle the Electrical and Plumbing installations for them. and the installation requires a technicality.

Thanks
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by fxbot: 9:38am On Feb 26, 2017
Godspikin:
For your red bricks (laterite as d main ingredient) building... contact us today... check the link below.

nice. From your experience, what will it cost to build a 4 bedroom bungalow with red bricks ? I need to follow you.
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 24, 2017
Godspikin:

Good day,
Please, how can I contact you? This is my email if you don't mind "tolaaries@gmail.com"
Thaks
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Godspikin: 5:56pm On Oct 25, 2017
tkObserver:

Good day,
Please, how can I contact you? This is my email if you don't mind "tolaaries@gmail.com"
Thaks

I have sent a response to your email
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Diana78: 7:21am On Dec 21, 2017
The best place to buy burnt bricks and get it acroos to your construction site is at LImult.com.

You can buy burnt bricks from from LImult by visiting http://limult.com/product/buy-high-quality-local-burnt-bricks-l230-h125-w100-bulk-building/ to buy.

Minimum order quantity is 4000 pieces.

Bricks are cheaper and far more stronger.

www.limult.com is Nigeria's No 1 online seller for clay products especially bricks.

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by LaudableXX: 2:42pm On Mar 25, 2018
Godspikin:
I have sent a response to your email

Can you share pictures of your new projects with us? And please let us know how much it would cost to build a 3-bedroom block of 4 flats. Thanks.
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Chukazu: 4:13pm On Mar 25, 2018
I think it's more suitable for Bungalows, may not be ideal for large scale construction like Duplex
Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by Konquest: 2:53pm On Mar 15, 2019
laudate:

Hi demovertion, hope you are doing good. I had to move your post from here: https://www.nairaland.com/2970495/quotation-right-2-bedroom-apartment/3#43503422 down to this thread. Hope you don't mind. Did your firm build this brick house shown below? If the answer is yes, can you give an estimated cost of the whole project? How much cheaper was it to build, using stabilised laterite bricks as compared to the normal sandcrete blocks?
^^^^
^^^^
Hello to you @laudate smiley

I discovered that the picture of the house that you attached to
your February 2017 post is from AUSTRALIA.

====> http://www.legobrickmachine.com/pic/?67.html

Do you know if these people have an office in Nigeria
where they carry out construction work for clients?

Do you have their direct office contact in Nigeria if
they have an office in the country?

It seems like they have a presence in Benin Republic
from the picture of some of their completed works.
===>http://www.legobrickmachine.com/uploadfile/2015710125524244.jpg

The finishing of those brick houses look very good.

Thanks a lot!

All the best to you.

1 Like

Re: Building Your House: The Alternative Technology Route by topsy23: 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
Happy Sunday to you all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheap Lands & Apartments In Ikorodu For Sell / 16-Room Bungalow Razed By Fire In Apapa (Photos) / Before You Commit Your Finances Into Any Property, You Must Know This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.