Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (36769 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / 'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
ifeness: I believe in a talking donkey,can anyone prove me wrong?
what about ur hot amala and igbegiri singing ur oriki and hailing u before u eat it?

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by victorv12(m): 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
tete7000:
You erred. Morality has a lot to do with God. When morality is defined without God, morals become subjective; something we define to suit our fancy. With God you have a universal code of morals. What a Chinese Christian considers ethically right is what a Nigerian Christian considers appropriate, vis-a-vis an American Christian.
The issue of people not living their faith is an entirely different issue and has nothing to do with faith. Infact a Christian who doesn't live out his faith is as godless as an atheist for Christianity is not in name but in living. The first Christians are called Christians because their lives mimics Christ's. Finally if I won't trust a man who claims to believe in God, then there is no way I can trust an atheist. Reason: An atheist has no foundation upon which he builds his morals, if he is faced with difficult situation, he easily jettison that which he considers ethical and follows the path that gratifies his personal aggradizement. In short he lives only in flesh and will always seek to satisfy his flesh.
As per the OP I have no advice for you. I only pray your mum's pain and agony to not be in vain. May God open your eyes of understanding and pull you out from your pride so that you may come to know and appreciate the truth. If you need to go through some form of pain, sickness and suffering to arrive at the truth, it's my prayer for the sake of your mother that you go through such. AMEN

You don't need religion to have morals..if you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy not religion.

4 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by tete7000(m): 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2014
victorv12:

You don't need religion to have morals..if you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy not religion.
I am laughing in spanish with your comment! You sound outrageous
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by lolaxavier(m): 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2014
tete7000:
You erred. Morality has a lot to do with God. When morality is defined without God, morals become subjective; something we define to suit our fancy. With God you have a universal code of morals. What a Chinese Christian considers ethically right is what a Nigerian Christian considers appropriate, vis-a-vis an American Christian.
The issue of people not living their faith is an entirely different issue and has nothing to do with faith. Infact a Christian who doesn't live out his faith is as godless as an atheist for Christianity is not in name but in living. The first Christians are called Christians because their lives mimics Christ's. Finally if I won't trust a man who claims to believe in God, then there is no way I can trust an atheist. Reason: An atheist has no foundation upon which he builds his morals, if he is faced with difficult situation, he easily jettison that which he considers ethical and follows the path that gratifies his personal aggradizement. In short he lives only in flesh and will always seek to satisfy his flesh.
As per the OP I have no advice for you. I only pray your mum's pain and agony to not be in vain. May God open your eyes of understanding and pull you out from your pride so that you may come to know and appreciate the truth. If you need to go through some form of pain, sickness and suffering to arrive at the truth, it's my prayer for the sake of your mother that you go through such. AMEN

You are absolutely wrong and it appears you have little knowledge of what you are saying. There is a fine line between morality and choosing to acknowledge God. You need no soothsayer to draw a line between stealing from someone and giving to someone. You have a whole lot of examples to show for that...and I am also an example as well...

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by BlackHuman(m): 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2014
Legit: Organise religion is confusing and causing so many division, among families and ppl of the world. The truth is nobody knows the truth, we are all following our parents doctrine. There are many religion in the world, all of them claimed they are the right path, hence, we are ALL confused. I think we should follow our conscience as our guide, because no matter your religion, somebody will tell say you are on the wrong path. Atheism is an absolute that there's no god, they don't know either. The best and honest following is Agnostic, who believe that nobody know, they are on the fence per se, and that is the only honest assesment. So, follow your conscience and let your mom know, she cannot save you on the judgment day, if there's one. Everywo/man for him/her self. My 2cents
I so much agree with your post, AGNOTISM is the only true religion to be honest, because the truth is no one knows the exact truth. we are all just "beilieving","hoping" thru faith. besides some of the world's smartest men are AGNOSTIC e.g Bill gates,Warren Buffet e.t.c
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by onetrack(m): 1:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
tete7000:
What is this one saying? A confused mind, a product of atheism!

Then show me where Christ abolished slavery.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by ogaju007(m): 1:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
Guy, there's no need to worry, you have found the light and the light has set you free. They took religion (both Muslims and Christians) without asking questions nor challenging the stories. Now we know better.

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by mrarranger: 1:28pm On Jan 05, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]I didnt know dat there is dis large amount of atheists on NL.Nsogbu di
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Icudkill: 1:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Atheists on the prowl ..
Buh i hav to say dis,
DER IS A GOD, as much as i wud like to be an atheist (it is d most logical reasonin), i am still sure der is a God.,
because frankly as a science student, the human body is tooo complex to hav just evolved,
The system of tinz on earth , from weather , to daily rising nd setting of d sun, to the concept of time itself is also way complex to say der wer just formed over time.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by tonididdy(m): 1:34pm On Jan 05, 2014
harde2lah:
same here bro. I don't know what to bliv again. I gave up on religion 4 years ago when i started using my brain. I use to wonder den of wat use is d kind of fasting my church use 2 subject us 2 den on behalf of Nigeria, yet dis country is still backward. All in d name of xtianity, many tins happened 2 me until i broke loose nd became free. Now dat am free, am enjoyin myself and my life. I live a normal life, i do good and give 2 d needy. My point is xtianity or islam has nofin 2 do wit moral standards. Nobody dare dictates 2 me again, d kind of clothes 2 put on, d kind of food 2 eat etc. Its my life and i'll live it how i wanna live it. If d way i live my life will warant me goin 2 hell, den so be it! I dnt bliv in hell anyway. I give up on religion!
dont get me wrong bro...i beleive ther's a GOD but i dont believe u've tto participate in any religion tto be in good terms with him(God).
religion is confusing and still confused...what matters as human is know the difference between ''good and evil''.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by MarieSucre(f): 1:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
DJDOLA: U can never see a muslim become an atheist..but see a good christian dat will turn 2 atheist
Dey there make pant dey wear you. I have seen many ex-muslims who are now atheist. I even have an ex-muslimah friend from syria who is a staunch atheist.

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 05, 2014
tonididdy: dont get me wrong bro...i beleive ther's a GOD but i dont believe u've tto participate in any religion tto be in good terms with him(God).
religion is confusing and still confused...what matters as human is know the difference between ''good and evil''.
what made u think I care about what u bliv? I am only expressin my opinion. Shouldn't have quoted u, apology!
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by incrediblestev: 2:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
collins123: [size=18pt]Currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

An eye opener, I must say!
[/size]
do you have the pdf.....you should read Murdock's Christ conspiracy, an ever bigger eye opener....i could send it to you if you want...
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by BlackHuman(m): 2:21pm On Jan 05, 2014
The way i see it; The fact that there are living and non-living things prove to me that God exists-, the only difference between a human being and a piece of furniture is that the human being has a spirit/ soul i.e the human is conscious of his/her environment and existence but but the furniture is not. Therefore the furniture exists only physically but has no soul so it is oblivious to even it's own existence.-WHY?, because the furniture lacks the prescence of a soul to occupy it's physical body....therefore somtin must have caused this difference between the living human and dis piece of future. What could be responsible for this difference if not that someone/being has sort of provided the living body with a soul/spirit to occupy it ....THAT BEING DAT PROVIDED THAT SPIRIT IS GOD....if u take away the soul from the body, the body becomes a corpse(i.e non-living) just like the furniture. but where did the spirit go?- where else could it have gone if not to the one who made it. "ONLY LIFE CAN GIVE BIRTH TO LIFE"
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 05, 2014
rudedough:

Just in case you missed your integrated Science classes on "LIVING THINGS". Let me remind you of the characteristics of a LIVING thing.

* Living Things are Composed of Cells
* Living Things Use Energy
* Living Things Have Different levels of Organization
* Living Things Respond To Stimuli
* Living Things Grow
* Living Things Reproduce
* Living Things Adapt To Their Environment

Please point out which of the above character(s) your God possess that qualifies him to be a "LIVING" God.

NONE
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 05, 2014
Mee234:
what about ur hot amala and igbegiri singing ur oriki and hailing u before u eat it?

LOL was that god's doing?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2014
I.cud.kill:
Atheists on the prowl ..
Buh i hav to say dis,
DER IS A GOD, as much as i wud like to be an atheist (it is d most logical reasonin), i am still sure der is a God.,
because frankly as a science student, the human body is tooo complex to hav just evolved,
The system of tinz on earth , from weather , to daily rising nd setting of d sun, to the concept of time itself is also way complex to say der wer just formed over time.

Yes there is a flying monster hanging in the sky watching everything you do. Who created this monster?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 05, 2014
Black Human: The way i see it; The fact that there are living and non-living things prove to me that God exists-, the only difference between a human being and a piece of furniture is that the human being has a spirit/ soul i.e the human is conscious of his/her environment and existence but but the furniture is not. Therefore the furniture exists only physically but has no soul so it is oblivious to even it's own existence.-WHY?, because the furniture lacks the prescence of a soul to occupy it's physical body....therefore somtin must have caused this difference between the living human and dis piece of future. What could be responsible for this difference if not that someone/being has sort of provided the living body with a soul/spirit to occupy it ....THAT BEING DAT PROVIDED THAT SPIRIT IS GOD....if u take away the soul from the body, the body becomes a corpse(i.e non-living) just like the furniture. but where did the spirit go?- where else could it have gone if not to the one who made it. "ONLY LIFE CAN GIVE BIRTH TO LIFE"

I must say your proof is very very lame. Please come with another explanation concerning the existence of your god

1 Like

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2014
victorv12:

wrong, u can lack empathy and still be full of moral
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Creatrixity(m): 2:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
tete7000:
What is this one saying? A confused mind, a product of atheism!
Wrong.
A confused mind is a quintessential product of religion.

For instance,there are more than 600 different christian sects.
First sect says 'We pray through saints' .
Another sect says 'Thats,idolatry we go directly'.
It is rather interesting to note that both sects have valid points to support their postulates and exegesis of different portions of scripture.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2014
ifeness:

LOL was that god's doing?
Was it ur mind doing?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 2:39pm On Jan 05, 2014
Black Human: I so much agree with your post, AGNOTISM is the only true religion to be honest, because the truth is no one knows the exact truth. we are all just "beilieving","hoping" thru faith. besides some of the world's smartest men are AGNOSTIC e.g Bill gates,Warren Buffet e.t.c

Being a pedantic chronicler, I have to point out the obvious--Agnoticism is not a religion. I find that Agnostics are moderates, which I believe is why they're often leaders in their various engagements. This is important since there's almost always a shade of grey with macro-concepts.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 2:41pm On Jan 05, 2014
tonididdy: dont get me wrong bro...i beleive ther's a GOD but i dont believe u've tto participate in any religion tto be in good terms with him(God).

Are you religious? I mean apart from culturally living as a Christian, what is your religious affiliation?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by BlackHuman(m): 2:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
rudedough:

Just in case you missed your integrated Science classes on "LIVING THINGS". Let me remind you of the characteristics of a LIVING thing.

* Living Things are Composed of Cells
* Living Things Use Energy
* Living Things Have Different levels of Organization
* Living Things Respond To Stimuli
* Living Things Grow
* Living Things Reproduce
* Living Things Adapt To Their Environment

Please point out which of the above character(s) your God possess that qualifies him to be a "LIVING" God.
These characteristics are for the LIVING THINGS THAT EXIST ON EARTH. Earth is not the only place in existence. and most probably not the only place wiith living things....THE FACT THAT U HAVN'T SEEN SOMTIN/SOMEONE DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T EXIST....thousands of years ago no one had ever seen an electron,proton and neutron. no one had ever seen other planets like mars,jupiter e.t.c. but it doesn't mean they didn't exist then.....THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN GOD DOESN'T MEAN HE DOESN'T EXIST.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by LordAdam: 2:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
Mee234:
wrong, u can lack empathy and still be full of moral

Morals demand that you try not to be a negative influence to your society (at least subjectively). Relatively, you have to work this out (your set of morals) by thinking about the "other person." There can be no clearer definition of empathy--especially in it's broadest philosophical contextual usage.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by muhamm3d: 2:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
You atheists are so so myopic and cant even see beyond ur short noses.... hv u ever for once thought that if we were all born atheists lik lets say atheism is mostly practiced by pple of d world do u knw dt ur delisional richard dawkins would write a book titled ' There is a GOD and hes is living' if i wake up tomao and publish a book called. 'I am d God of myself' am sure am gonna sell alot. Dis s just a muhfuckin individual just trying to b relevant outta d billions in d world. Jus tak a moment and fink bout it.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by BigBossMan(m): 2:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
If u r not OK with d Bible and it inconsistencies, then try Islam and read d Quran (with English translation), u will find out it makes more sense!- my personal opinion since am a Muslim.

Thats worse !
His mum will just die of cardiac bomb blast.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by StoneColdBiceps(m): 2:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
Bro I know before u made up ur mind denying God' existence u must have been highly schooled, traveled to foreign conutries or u av surrendered to live in abject poverty as things are not working for u...
I pray when u encounter God and it shld not be in a calamity situation. God is real and great..
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by victwi: 2:59pm On Jan 05, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

How many atheists do you know in real life?
Jeeeeez... None. It would be a privilege meeting one. I'd make the most use of the opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by UyiIredia(m): 3:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
muhamm3d: You atheists are so so myopic and cant even see beyond ur short noses.... hv u ever for once thought that if we were all born atheists lik lets say atheism is mostly practiced by pple of d world do u knw dt ur delisional richard dawkins would write a book titled ' There is a GOD and hes is living' if i wake up tomao and publish a book called. 'I am d God of myself' am sure am gonna sell alot. Dis s just a muhfuckin individual just trying to b relevant outta d billions in d world. Jus tak a moment and fink bout it.

Hate him or love him he has made himself relevant.
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 05, 2014
There can be no clearer definition of empathy--especially in it's broadest philosophical contextual

Since u know this why did u state that lack of moral eguale lack of empathy?
Re: My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! by victwi: 3:03pm On Jan 05, 2014
Okija_juju:

[b]I guess you are left with only one choice... PRETEND IN FRONT OF HER..

In my case, I was born into a Christian home, raised a Christian, my Dad became a pastor at some point, I also later became "born again" and started preaching and doing all that Christian stuff until one day... I slept woke up and read the bible and it all just stopped making any sense to me.. The more I tried, the less sense it made. I contacted a pastor and had a discussion that turned into a debate. He ended up telling me I was possessed by a demon.. grin prayer started to feel really silly to me, speaking in tongues started sounded like lunacy. In fact, everything just fell apart.. I was not influenced by friends or anything, I arrived here on my own.

Now my mum has basically given up on me.. My dad would not talk about it. My siblings are indifferent. My wife is neither for it nor does she stress me about it.

So all I do is go to church with my Dad whenever I visit. I avoid religious conversations with them or around them. I pray with them and do whatever's it is that pleases them. The fact that I am who I am does not mean I can't respect their feelings and way of life. None of us really know the answers to life..

So my guy, pretend when around them. That's my advice.

Thank me later.. The gods are wise..[/b]
Did you start speaking in tongues on your own when you were a Christian?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (19) (Reply)

Biafra: Mbaka Reveals How Igbos Will Treat Each Other If Their Nation Is Achieve / Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabweans For Spreading Lies Against Him / What Happens To Olisa Metuh's N300million Bail Money? - Pastor Adeboye's Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.