Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year (22023 Views)

Can Vincent Enyeama Win African Footballer Of The Year? / Musa, Enyeama, 23 Others Nominated For African Player Of The Year 2014 / Paul Put Explains Why Mikel Obi Did Not Win African Player Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by babyboy3(m): 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: You clearly didn't watch the match against Derby. If you did, you would know that Chelsea put out a strong squad and found the game difficult. By the way we are talking about long range passing ability. Mikel showed he could do it at the AFCON, Confeds and you can notice it in the Derby match.

IF YOU DON'T LOOK, YOU CAN'T SEE.

Makes you think I didnt see the game?

I hate it when people jump to conclusion, I only said Derby and you jumped to conclusion, It was a game Chelsea dominated from start to finish yes Derby had a 15 - 20 minutes moment of dominance. Look you are talking to a Chelsea fan I know Mikels strength and weaknesses as a holding player.

The main reason Chelsea pushed Mikel deep was because between 2004 to 2006 without the brilliance of Robben and Duff or Chelsea goes direct to Drogba we found it hard to maintain possession because Lampard is not that great neither was Essien. They wanted Mikel to be a deep lying play-maker because he is comfortable on the ball, but aim has failed to materialised.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Oothman: bro! , u must be high on cheap shepe!....hw wud u say Yaya toure will b nos1 or 2? wts his acheivement/performance in European competitions?? yet u said he is d numb 1. where D likes of Xabi alonso ,muller , javi martinez dey
Muller a DM? Bloody hell
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 4:53pm On Jan 07, 2014
baby-boy:

Mourinho - First time around he was an understudy to Makalele

Avram Grant - Actually the Isreali manager didn't fancy Mikel and Makalele captained Chelsea when bothTerry and Lampard were out injured during the Christmas period, he actually prefered Julio Belletti to Mikel when Makalele is out. Strong chance of Mikel getting a red card than playing.

Scolari, - Scolari liked Mikel because he loves his ball on the ground and Essien had a bad Injury but he was sacked

Hiddink - He preferred Lampard, Ballack and Essien as the midfield trio

Ancelotti, - He also preferred Lampard, Ballack and Essien as the midfield trio until when Essien ruptured his knee in an International game with Libya this gave Mikel a very long run, the following season Ramires joined and Mikel found himself on the bench

AVB, - Preferred Ramires, Merelles wasnt sure about Lampard which eventually got him the sack, He also thought Oriol Romeu was matured enough to take Mikels place

Di Matteo - Liked Mikel ahead of Essien to partner Merelles and moved Ramires out wide, then sold Mereles and Partnered Mikel with Lampard which cost him his job because the team wasn't balanced

Benitez - Preferred Ramires and Lampard with Mikel as cover but at times Benithez felt with Mikel the build up to attack is very slow.

and Mouringo again - Jose thought Van Ginkle will take Mikel's place but Injury, he loaned Oriol Romeu to get more experience, Essien is now a spent force, Lampard well it seems age is catching up on him and the only Mikel seems to fair better alongside Ramires who is the engine of Chelsea's midfield.

So its a myth if you feel that Mikel was a first choice under every manager

Tell me why was Mikel on the bench when Chelsea played the top teams, Liverpool, Man City, Manchester United only started against Arsenal?
man, even as I do not agree with your constant bashing of Mikel, I think you're a good football fan, you always come up with good points.

I like people who detail points in arguments not just noisemakers
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 5:08pm On Jan 07, 2014
baby-boy:

Makes you think I didnt see the game?

I hate it when people jump to conclusion, I only said Derby and you jumped to conclusion, It was a game Chelsea dominated from start to finish yes Derby had a 15 - 20 minutes moment of dominance. Look you are talking to a Chelsea fan I know Mikels strength and weaknesses as a holding player.

The main reason Chelsea pushed Mikel deep was because between 2004 to 2006 without the brilliance of Robben and Duff or Chelsea goes direct to Drogba we found it hard to maintain possession because Lampard is not that great neither was Essien. They wanted Mikel to be a deep lying play-maker because he is comfortable on the ball, but aim has failed to materialised.
So what did you mean by the statement if not to belittle Mikel's exploit in the game.

Mourinho wanted Mikel to play deep because most top players would not want to play there. While the likes of Thiago, Ballack fight for the CAM role, no one will battle for the deep role.

Same way Mourinho wanted Pedro Leon to play as a right back at Real Madrid but Pedro Leon refused and left Madrid back to Getafe.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by babyboy3(m): 5:13pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: man, even as I do not agree with your constant bashing of Mikel, I think you're a good football fan, you always come up with good points.

Look I like him as a player the only thing I disagree with is I feel Yaya Toure is a better player, I, plus thousands of Chelsea fans at Stanford bridge who feel Mikel plays safe and sometimes he frustrates fans? by going sideways and backwards. Mourinho wanted the next Pirlo someone to control the game, some times Oscar comes deep to collect the ball off him, may be its a confidence thing i don't know...
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 5:14pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: man, even as I do not agree with your constant bashing of Mikel, I think you're a good football fan, you always come up with good points.

I actually wanted to point out that actually the fact is that most Chelsea coaches when brought in feel to transform Chelsea, they need Mikel out. Including Scolari bringing Mineiro. As time goes on, they realised that Mikel is critical to Chelsea's success. Only Di Matteo stuck with Mikel from the start and he repayed Di Matteo with a memorable performance against Bayern and Barca.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by babyboy3(m): 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: I actually wanted to point out that actually the fact is that most Chelsea coaches when brought in feel to transform Chelsea, they need Mikel out. Including Scolari bringing Mineiro. As time goes on, they realise that Mikel is critical to Chelsea's success. Only Di Matteo stuck with Mikel from the start and he repayed Di Matteo with a memorable performance against Bayern and Barca.

Mineiro was back up to Mikel because they release Makalele, he wasnt there to take Mikel's place
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by babyboy3(m): 5:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: So what did you mean by the statement if not to belittle Mikel's exploit in the game.

Mourinho wanted Mikel to play deep because most top players would not want to play there. While the likes of Thiago, Ballack fight for the CAM role, no one will battle for the deep role.

Same way Mourinho wanted Pedro Leon to play as a right back at Real Madrid but Pedro Leon refused and left Madrid back to Getafe.

Common Jose played Essien all over the field, he moved Gallas out to the left, he got Mikel young so its an easy job, Pedro Leon was just stubborn
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 5:21pm On Jan 07, 2014
baby-boy:

Mineiro was back up to Mikel because they release Makalele, he wasnt there to take Mikel's place
Nope Mineiro wasn't a back up but a quick fix. He was more experienced than Mikel. He even started playing more games than Mikel before he flopped and Mikel took the position.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2014
baby-boy:

Common Jose played Essien all over the field, he moved Gallas out to the left, he got Mikel young so its an easy job, Pedro Leon was just stubborn
Yes it is hard for we Nigerians who watched Mikel flourish at Netherland swallow what Mou did to Mikel but Mikel took a big leap joining Chelsea. Mou did a good job putting Mikel in a position that he would have less competition and with time gain respect as a pillar of Chelsea.

As for Pedro Leon, I agree 100% that he was too stubborn but switching one of the best promising mid fielders in Spain would take him years to make his mark at Madrid.

It isn't easy to be successful at big clubs. See how many stars struggle at Chelsea. I think it was either Mikel listens to Mou or he would have had to look for another club.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by babyboy3(m): 5:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Nope Mineiro wasn't a back up but a quick fix. He was more experienced than Mikel. He even started playing more games than Mikel before he flopped and Mikel took the position.

Scolari First wanted Ballack and Lampard to share the responsibility with Deco at the tip of the triangle by the 3 or 4th game Essien is gone due to injury Mikel came in the team and the rest is history
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by striker9(m): 5:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
psalmdave: I dnt know but did u see those passes song was feeding van persie.....He is also a defensive midfielder tho.....
That was in Arsenal,song has been the shadow of himself ever since he joined barca,even a blind man that listen to commentary knows this.Did you see the pass mikel gave to schurlle against stoke?killer pass he gave to Musa against Mali?Emenike against Zambia and Ethiopia?long ball to Ideye against Burkina faso?oh no you won't mention those na,we know your type,only hyping other players just to ridicule mikel.shior!

3 Likes

Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by psalmdave(m): 7:00pm On Jan 07, 2014
striker9: That was in Arsenal,song has been the shadow of himself ever since he joined barca,even a blind man that listen to commentary knows this.Did you see the pass mikel gave to schurlle against stoke?killer pass he gave to Musa against Mali?Emenike against Zambia and Ethiopia?long ball to Ideye against Burkina faso?oh no you won't mention those na,we know your type,only hyping other players just to ridicule mikel.shior!
I refuse to even argue with u cos u are always biased and will end up with using harsh words wen someone prooves u wrong
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by striker9(m): 7:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
psalmdave: I refuse to even argue with u cos u are always biased and will end up with using harsh words wen someone prooves u wrong
Who's been biased here,I said since he joined barca,Song was better than mikel when he was in Arsenal no doubt,can you say the same thing since he joined barca and hardly play.Even his national game is nothing to write home about,cameroun didn't qualify for Afcon and made matter worst.I'm a big fan of Song,but his game has depreciated since he joined barca,so who's been biased here?

1 Like

Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by striker9(m): 7:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
psalmdave: I refuse to even argue with u cos u are always biased and will end up with using harsh words wen someone prooves u wrong
I guess you can also prove me wrong if those things I said about mikel are lies.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 9:31pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: I actually wanted to point out that actually the fact is that most Chelsea coaches when brought in feel to transform Chelsea, they need Mikel out. Including Scolari bringing Mineiro. As time goes on, they realised that Mikel is critical to Chelsea's success. Only Di Matteo stuck with Mikel from the start and he repayed Di Matteo with a memorable performance against Bayern and Barca.
Haba! Did u just say scolari signed miniero to replace Mikel? Miniero was like 34 when Chelsea signed him as a back up. Lol if you Chelsea then and who who miniero was u won't be saying this lol
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 9:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: So what did you mean by the statement if not to belittle Mikel's exploit in the game.

bros when and where did José asked Pedro Leon to play right back at real Madrid? In José 1st season who was real's rightback? Sergio Ramos, and arbeloa deputised for him.

Where did u get that false theory from? I follow real Madrid and i believe you're very very wrong
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 9:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
And even lassana diarra played right back for real Madrid with distinction too. He never asked Pedro Leon to play right back
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: bros when and where did José asked Pedro Leon to play right back at real Madrid? In José 1st season who was real's rightback? Sergio Ramos, and arbeloa deputised for him.

Where did u get that false theory from? I follow real Madrid and i believe you're very very wrong
Don't jump to conclusions, find out why Pedro Leon and Mourinho fell out. It was a tactical problem.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:57pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: Haba! Did u just say scolari signed miniero to replace Mikel? Miniero was like 34 when Chelsea signed him as a back up. Lol if you Chelsea then and who who miniero was u won't be saying this lol
So nhow come Mineiro came and started playing games ahead of Mikel.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 10:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Don't jump to conclusions, find out why Pedro Leon and Mourinho fell out. It was a tactical problem.
Bros why na.....say it if only you're sure na. Jose never asked him to play right back, just accept that 1st.

If you know Pedro Leon well u will know he's never a rel Madrid type of player, he was signed as a back up, nothing more. His type don't last at the bernabeu
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: bros when and where did José asked Pedro Leon to play right back at real Madrid? In José 1st season who was real's rightback? Sergio Ramos, and arbeloa deputised for him.

Pedro Leon said: “Mourinho is in charge. We have no problem between us. The reasons why I stayed out of the squad in the last two games were that I did not do what was ordered of me in the match versus Levante.

“It did not hurt when the coach said I was neither [Diego] Maradona nor Zinedine Zidane. We talked and everything is solved. I know that the coach trusts in me and I will continue working to help the team.

“The reasons why I have not played are sporting-based. What we spoke about remains between Mourinho and me. I see no punishment.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/10/12/2162149/i-have-no-problem-with-jose-mourinho-real-madrid-midfielder

I can't remember the forum I dug out what was the exact reason but from the article above, you can see Pedro Leon disobeyed Mourinho during a match against Levant and he did it for Sporting reasons.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 10:08pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: So nhow come Mineiro came and started playing games ahead of Mikel.
I'm quite sure u can Google d number of matches he started just when he arrived and when he left. Lol

I'm sure u don't know miniero's history. A player that was released by hearth Berlin(I think) will suddenly be signed at that old age as a starter for a huge club like Chelsea.....are u serious?
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: Bros why na.....say it if only you're sure na. Jose never asked him to play right back, just accept that 1st.

If you know Pedro Leon well u will know he's never a rel Madrid type of player, he was signed as a back up, nothing more. His type don't last at the bernabeu
Someone not given an opportunity doesn't mean the person isn't good. This Pedro Leon and Sergio Canales problem is what led to the Mourinho and the Spanish players problem.

Secondly can you say what was the problem between Mourinho and Pedro Leon? I have even showed he refused a Mourinho order for Sporting reasons? It happened long ago by then it was being discussed on many forums.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 10:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt:
Pedro Leon said: “Mourinho is in charge. We have no problem between us. The reasons why I stayed out of the squad in the last two games were that I did not do what was ordered of me in the match versus Levante.

“It did not hurt when the coach said I was neither [Diego] Maradona nor Zinedine Zidane. We talked and everything is solved. I know that the coach trusts in me and I will continue working to help the team.

“The reasons why I have not played are sporting-based. What we spoke about remains between Mourinho and me. I see no punishment.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/10/12/2162149/i-have-no-problem-with-jose-mourinho-real-madrid-midfielder

I can't remember the forum I dug out what was the exact reason but from the article above, you can see Pedro Leon disobeyed Mourinho during a match against Levant and he did it for Sporting reasons.
no need to dig up anything for reference....José said he's no Zidane or Maradona when he dropped him in an away cl match so I remember everything clearly.

He did not ask him to lay right back though
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by Oothman(m): 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
psalmdave: I dnt know but did u see those passes song was feeding van persie.....He is also a defensive midfielder tho.....
and where is he nw..and wat is he doing Warming d bench @ barca
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: I'm quite sure u can Google d number of matches he started just when he arrived and when he left. Lol

I'm sure u don't know miniero's history. A player that was released by hearth Berlin(I think) will suddenly be signed at that old age as a starter for a huge club like Chelsea.....are u serious?
Let us leave long story. There was no reason for Scolari to sign Mineiro. He had Mikel, Beletti could play that role as a back up. Mineiro was brought to drop Mikel.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 10:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Someone not given an opportunity doesn't mean the person isn't good. This Pedro Leon and Sergio Canales problem is what led to the Mourinho and the Spanish players problem.

Secondly can you say what was the problem between Mourinho and Pedro Leon? I have even showed he refused a Mourinho order for Sporting reasons? It happened long ago by then it was being discussed on many forums.
bros a beg, leave the consp. Theory a beg, José dropped Pedro Leon because he refused to track back, I'm saying this because I watched the match and he was petulant

As fr the Spanish players u mentioned, José only had problem with Ramos and stupid casillas and with Ronaldo towards the end of his time at d bernabeu, Alonso, Arbeloa all liked him. Even Arbeloa said most players cried and thanked him when he left only Ramos and casillas are the bitter goats
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:21pm On Jan 07, 2014
xtervaganza: no need to dig up anything for reference....José said he's no Zidane or Maradona when he dropped him in an away cl match so I remember everything clearly.

He did not ask him to lay right back though
In your statement here, why are you hiding the fact that he did obeyed Mourinho? If you remember it very well tell us. You already said Mourinho has asked Lass to play as a right back, he also has asked Essien to play there also.

Why is it impossible for him to ask Pedro Leon to play there?

First of all accept that he refused to play in a position Mourinho asked him for Sporting reasons?
However, Leon told reporters: "Mourinho is in charge and we have no problem between us.

See another statement from another source:

"The reasons why I stayed out of the squad in the last two games were that I did not do what was ordered of me in the match versus Levante.
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 10:21pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Let us leave long story. There was no reason for Scolari to sign Mineiro. He had Mikel, Beletti could play that role as a back up. Mineiro was brought to drop Mikel.
OK according to your logic, Chelsea have hilario, Turnbull and signed Schwarzer to replace Cech abi? Lol

I repeat u don't know miniero, he was very old and rubbish when Chelsea signed him
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by xtervaganza(m): 10:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: In your statement here, why are you hiding the fact that he did obeyed Mourinho? If you remember it very well tell us. You already said Mourinho has asked Lass to play as a right back, he also has asked Essien to play there also.

Why is it impossible for him to ask Pedro Leon to play there?

First of all accept that he refused to play in a position Mourinho asked him for Sporting reasons?
However, Leon told reporters: "Mourinho is in charge and we have no problem between us.

See another statement from another source:

"The reasons why I stayed out of the squad in the last two games were that I did not do what was ordered of me in the match versus Levante.
if you have been studying José team right from Porto to inter and Chelsea you'll know his winger track back a lot. The reason he gave Pedro Leon a dressing down was because he refused to track back and was even petulant. He was a right wing mid/forward at real. Never did José ask him to play right back....go Google again
Re: It Will Be A Criminal Act If Mikel Does Not Win African Player Of The Year by babyboy3(m): 10:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt: Let us leave long story. There was no reason for Scolari to sign Mineiro. He had Mikel, Beletti could play that role as a back up. Mineiro was brought to drop Mikel.

From Wiki

On 24 September 2008, it was announced that Mineiro had signed for Chelsea as a backup for the injured Michael Essien until the end of the 2008–09 season.
Mineiro made his Chelsea debut on 1 November 2008 against Sunderland in a league match. He came on for Nicolas Anelka who had already scored a hat-trick leading Chelsea to a 5–0 victory.[3]
Despite already having played for Chelsea he was not formally revealed to the press until 7 November during a press conference at Chelsea's training ground in Cobham, Surrey. During the press conference it was confirmed Mineiro was on a contract to play as Chelsea's third choice defensive midfielder.[4] Mineiro played just twice for Chelsea, and his only start was against Burnley in the League Cup.

Bobo stop am oooooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Ghana FA President Caught On Video Taking Bribe / Senegal Vs Cameroon: AFCON 2023 (3 - 1) On 19th January 2024 / Cristiano Ronaldo Rape Lawsuit 'dropped' By Las Vegas Accuser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.