Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,275 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers (80761 Views)

Meet The Graduate Who Sells Akara In Abuja While Waiting For Her NYSC. Photo / Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics) / Whats The Graduate Salary At Shell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by arabbunkum: 8:21pm On Jan 06, 2014
Information reaching my desk has confirmed that Dangote Group has quietly issued termination letters to almost all the graduate drivers that were recently employed amidst much publicity.

One of the affected graduate drivers who pleaded for anonymity, was actually crying when he narrated their ordeal. 'We went through a training program at NITT, Zaria for three months and were issued with employment letters by the Dangote Group in March 2013 at their head office in Lagos. We were all deployed to Dangote Cement Plant, Obajana ( Transport Division). At Obajana, the head of transport, ALHAJI LADAN, directed that we all be made to undergo an attachment with the more experienced drivers just to enable us gather much experience. We were all undergoing the attachment when, sometimes in May 2013, a directive came from the head office in Lagos, directing that all the graduate drivers that wish to leave driving should indicate interest to be converted to Fleet Officers (which is an office work).

We all wrote to be converted to Fleet Officers and that's when the drama started. Instead of doing the conversion process once as was the case when we got issued with employment letters in Lagos, the cabal at Obajana dragged it slowly to enable them to smuggle in many people who were never part of the original set that received training in Zaria and employment letters in Lagos. The conversion started in June 2013 and ended in November 2013, a period of six months for something that should not have taken more than one week for a fair minded and serious set of people.

At the end, only very few of the original graduate drivers were converted to Fleet Officers while the cabal in charge of the conversion exercise succeeded in getting their people into the positions meant for the graduate drivers. So, we were waiting for the exercise to continue when on December 02, 2013, the head of transport, ALHAJI LADAN, directed that our salaries be stopped. When we went to find out why our December salaries were stopped, they told us to come back today being January 06, 2014. So, you could imagine our surprises when, on reaching there today, they just came out and started issuing termination letters to us.'

When asked how many graduate drivers were converted to Fleet Officers, he replied that they were about six. He further revealed that the scheme was actually a ploy used by the company to take a loan from a foreign agency and to boost its image both at home and abroad, and that's why the company is doing away with the graduate drivers now that the deed has been done.

He further berated the set of people that heads the transport sector at Obajana, who are all Northern Hausa Muslims, for being overly incompetent and corrupt.

He is still confused as he seems confused on what to do next.

*****I'm not happy for making this front page for the first time ( January for that matter) with a bad news. He keeps asking me "What now?! I just can't figure it out!"
Pathetic indeed.*****

13 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by fr3do(m): 8:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
Too bad
But Employing over qualified people is dangerous

18 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by kkkp: 8:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
Ok
Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by coronaprof(m): 8:30pm On Jan 06, 2014
. JUST GOES TO SHOW MOST EMPLOYER S CANT BE TAKEN AT THEIR WORD

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2014
Hw credible is dis info?

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by alotofgrace(m): 8:55pm On Jan 06, 2014
na true?

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by LBanks(m): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
But they should have announced the vacancies for graduate fleet officers instead of graduate drivers in the first place. What was the hype about graduate drivers in the first place?

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by stanbiggi(m): 9:05pm On Jan 06, 2014
Nigeria a country employers can do what they want and go free. He should try it in ghana or even zimbabwe and see what will become of dangote cement in a split seconds. I sometimes wonder if this country can be repaired again! Those days I used to work with a firm in lagos which rectifies crude ethanol. Then they decided to build a refinery in Ghana. Guess what? The ministry of employment and environmental control c.e up wt there condition. Firstly expatriates are nt allowed to do the job ghanians can do, also, 99% of the staff should be ghanians and if there be training the coy should embark on training of the personnel now and all harzardious allowance should be paid according to the stipulated policies. Tell me what the company ran back to niaja where there seems to be no law.

47 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 06, 2014
My dear brush off the dust and move on. You were slighted out of your position. But remember when you were studing for your graduate exam, I suppose you were nt studying to bEcomE a driver with dangote.... I understand your need for justice....but I also feel that you should seee this as a much needed propulsion. To move on to better prospects that will soon come your way!

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Olojukokoro: 9:36pm On Jan 06, 2014
Write an open letter to Aliko Dangote and share it on social media...fight,don't give up and name the corrupt officials..Goodluck

108 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by tiamiyukunle69(m): 9:48pm On Jan 06, 2014
This is barbaric. NLC no go talk for this one now o!!!

7 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by adeoladrg(m): 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
Too bad mehn.. Graduate what? More like use and dump. Aliko y na?
Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
D op can do nada, if a firm no more requires ur services, there is nothin u can do abt it, he has to move on

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by otokx(m): 10:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
Nigerian things.
Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Noor6009(m): 10:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
Should this be true,then it's another case of corruption and deceit in an org where everything should be based on merit.

Mod,r u still awaiting order frm oga Seun@d top before u move dis to d front page

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by moshoodn(m): 10:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
Oh boy!

Nigeria again!

Always in the news for the bad reasons.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Sepp360(m): 10:23pm On Jan 06, 2014
Take heart Bro, yhu can still get another better job and make it, With Or Without dangote!...
Thank Your Stars that your're even a graduate!...

If I No Make Am For This Life, God No Go Happy With Me!...

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by obo389(m): 10:34pm On Jan 06, 2014
Olojukokoro: Write an open letter to Aliko Dangote and share it on social media...fight,don't give up and name the corrupt officials..Goodluck

too bad i tel ya

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by mkoabiola: 11:00pm On Jan 06, 2014
Self employment all d way.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by UnknownT: 6:43am On Jan 07, 2014
LBanks: But they should have announced the vacancies for graduate fleet officers instead of graduate drivers in the first place. What was the hype about graduate drivers in the first place?
Bro; dis is Nigeria. Most of these engineering companies engage in "in-house recruitment". They don't call for vacancies publicly

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by topygel: 7:11am On Jan 07, 2014
This is coruption at its peak,
Nigeria sha!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by OCTAVO: 7:28am On Jan 07, 2014
I pity these guys.
Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by xtanburg: 8:05am On Jan 07, 2014
So sad.... Dangote's offical Twitter handle.... @Alikodangote

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 07, 2014
What a pity.

NIGERIA..!! a country of no permanent friend, no parmanent enemy, but parmanent INTEREST.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by rodeo0070(m): 8:36am On Jan 07, 2014
Small time now we go de blame Asian, Lebanese and the likes about the way they treat Nigerians. How is this any way different? It might not be physical assault though but I'm sure this will inflict more than that on those people. It still boils down to the fact that we are the problem of ourselves. Faulty/non-enforcement of labour laws, uncommitted leaders, citizens who are too weak to stand up for themselves etc...

Here's Dangote's official Twitter
handle: @Alikodangote. Please let us feel free to drop our grievances there and not here only. Let us help our fellow Nigerians....

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by bknight: 8:51am On Jan 07, 2014
He further revealed that the scheme was actually a ploy used by the company to take a loan from a foreign agency and to boost its image both at home and abroad, and that's why the company is doing away with the graduate drivers now that the deed has been done.

I cldnt understand what 'graduate drivers' and Ph.D holders applying for position of drivers in the dangote group was all about. I cldnt come to terms with it, I jst couldn't comprehend it. But now, I understand better.

Next will be 'graduate' security men. Professors get ur CV ready! undecided

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by OgologoDimkpa: 9:48am On Jan 07, 2014
Hmmm...
Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by OgologoDimkpa: 9:50am On Jan 07, 2014
The earlier Nigerian graduates acquires a trade and become self reliant, the better for them.
AfterI leave my present jon, will never work for anybody again.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Fernandinho: 10:49am On Jan 07, 2014
Wow!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dangote Sacks Almost All The Graduate Drivers by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 07, 2014
What! Injustice of the highest order. Before they even recruited people, there was so much hype about the treacherous agenda in all the media systems...

But what about this latest development? They'll make sure they contain it no matter what.

Bunch of hypocritical bast*rds.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kufre Nnah: Meet Millionaire Barber Who Came To Lagos With Only N5000 (Photos) / My Manager Sleeps With Our Female Colleague / VIRAL PICS of SA Doctor Looking Like a Thug - Union Defends Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.