Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs (18537 Views)

CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / Transfers From GTB Savings Account To Other Banks Is Now Enabled / What Differentiates Islamic Banking From Other Banks In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by slimyem: 6:18am On Jan 09, 2014
tiamiyukunle69: GTB bank did the same to me last December when my card got trapped in First Bank's ATM. They issued another one saying the security whatever on my card has been compromised. At last N1000 was deducted. To me it's just a means of making more money by the banks and preventing security breach on our ATM cards. Meaning that every time you get your card trapped in another Bank's ATM, be ready to part ways with N1000. Lobatan!!!
You left out the N50 VAT charge.cool
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by Lincolnburrows(m): 6:21am On Jan 09, 2014
Akainzo:

Where did you get the fud that cards are destroyed when trapped in other banks ATM from? Please stop spreading falsehood.

The other bank is mandated to return such trapped ATM cards to the registered office of the cardholders' bank.
its very true dear. its no falsehood. just know it today. but if u r still in doubt, use ur ATM card on another banks ATM and get it trapped by putting a wrong pin like 3 times. After then, u will stop being a thomas
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by slimyem: 6:23am On Jan 09, 2014
I know of banks that do the same with their credit cards and its understandable.

In this case though,its for your own security and business for the bank.
Both parties gain.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by RexioKlasik(m): 6:47am On Jan 09, 2014
The Best Way to Solve this:
1- Stick to using ur ATM CARD onli at its bank's ATM.
2- If "1" looks too dificult, Open an Account at a bank where u can get cash quickly,probably sumwher close to u..
3- If u still decide to b stubborn, lolz,Be ready to b payin 1k+ almost everytime ur card get trapped..

Shekina!!
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by DollyPhee: 6:55am On Jan 09, 2014
These wack ass Access bank peeps are gOod @ exploiting both their customers and staff.This is clearly another means to generate extra income for their bank,knowing very well that ATMs across the country aint perfectly reliable due to network problems and other issues.
Sad thing is, Aig-Imokhuede and his band of scammers are being celebrated by the government.
I just really hope and pray that other banks do not tow the same path lipsrsealed
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by veloce(m): 6:56am On Jan 09, 2014
Lincoln burrows: this is not about access bank. when your card is trapped in another banks ATM, that bank destroys your card. I know this will come as a surprise to many but that's the practice now. so its advisable for u to use your ATM card on your banks machine. this is more especially to those that usually forget their PIN as this is the major cause of ATM card trapping
this is. Cheap lie except it's a new developmet that started this year or peculiar to your bank.don't let's misinformed the public to sell this stupid idea.I still got my card returned to my Bank by Ecobank idumota the same day my card got stuked there when I went shopping for New year.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by yomalex(m): 6:58am On Jan 09, 2014
what if it is a foreign bank card ? e.g Payoneer
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by mikymouse1(m): 7:31am On Jan 09, 2014
superbloke: The strategy is simple. They want to discourage their customers from using other banks' ATMs. Every time you use your card on another bank's ATM, your bank pays the other bank, as against you paying as it used to be. So if you insist on using the other's ATM, then you'll pay for a new card if yours is trapped.
This is not true, pls cross-check your facts before posting as you might misinform other readers.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by ignis: 7:37am On Jan 09, 2014
What for?
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by superbloke(m): 7:59am On Jan 09, 2014
miky_mouse:
This is not true, pls cross-check your facts before posting as you might misinform other readers.
This is fact. Ask anyone you know who works in the cards dept of any bank. It's called "not on us transactions". The 100naira charge you used to pay when you use another bank's atm before CBN stopped it, who do you think bears that charge now?

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by kel4soft: 8:21am On Jan 09, 2014
I got their text yesterday too. What could be their reasons?
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by bigtt76(f): 8:30am On Jan 09, 2014
Ranchhoddas: i also got the message,pls what is 'card trapping biz'

The only reason why a card would be trapped in a 'sane' ATM is if the card user is trying guess the card's PIN and keeps failing, the machine sees it as a 'brute force' attack on the card and holds on to it as it believe the card may have been stolen.

Same mechanism as what we have on our web emails or applications where user access is blocked until certain conditions are met.

The 'card trapping biz' is when someone engages knowingly in trying to hack other people's credit/debit cards.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by bigtt76(f): 8:42am On Jan 09, 2014
iphoneloaded:

No I'm not into it grin

But my card often traps in my school first bank, that means I must wait for some weeks to withdraw cry

I would get a FB account as alternative if not porting.

The only reason why a card would be trapped in a 'sane' ATM is if the card user is trying guess the card's PIN and keeps failing, the machine sees it as a 'brute force' attack on the card and holds on to it as it believe the card may have been stolen.

Same mechanism as what we have on our web emails or applications where user access is blocked until certain conditions are met.

The 'card trapping biz' is when someone engages knowingly in trying to hack other people's credit/debit cards.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by Revolva(m): 8:55am On Jan 09, 2014
Acess bank is a very yeye bank.with this..are they jealous..if some one does not use their atm
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by GOnDIE1: 9:12am On Jan 09, 2014
I got the text too oooo!
Wondering the big deal in retrieving it for the owner.
Indirect way of saying "Please use our ATM Cards only on our ATM Machine"
Banks lack co-operation among them.
When two Ele. fights, what happens?
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by GOnDIE1: 9:13am On Jan 09, 2014
Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by iamskiigii(m): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2014
iphoneloaded:

shocked shocked
I don't also have a GTB atm cos my card got trapped in my branch and I was asked to pay for a new one... It is a year plus now sef

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by iamskiigii(m): 9:50am On Jan 09, 2014
Revolva: Acess bank is a very yeye bank.with this..are they jealous..if some one does not use their atm
Jealous? All Nigerian banks are same; it is better you know quickly... PS: I've got 4 9ja bank account but no money in them sad
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by Youngzedd(m): 10:06am On Jan 09, 2014
My card haven't been trapped before.

What will even make me make a silly mistake on the ATM machine.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by blood1(f): 11:31am On Jan 09, 2014
ALL BANKS ARE ADOPTING THIS MEASURE, please see below...

In line with international best practice and CBN E-PAYMENT DISPUTE ARBITRATION FRAMEWORK, kindly note the points below;

 All retracted cards should be rendered unusable.

 The CBN policy on card security states that “ liability arising in cases where a card is trapped in any ATM is to be borne by the acquirer for card present transactions whilst card is trapped.” This implies that the responsibility lies on the acquirer to protect and safe guard any such cards retracted on their terminal as any fraud on the card will be the liability of the acquirer.

Henceforth all cards that are none XXXXXXXX Bank cards should be destroyed (perforated) once they are trapped in the bank’s ATM.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by KLand(m): 11:33am On Jan 09, 2014
My bank does the same thing too. It is a security measure. So no need to panic, ok?
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by ACM10: 12:04pm On Jan 09, 2014
chikis: Abeg update me anytime they give you new pin. I bank at Access Bank and also have the problem as you.

Alright I will. They told me to check back next week.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by ACM10: 12:10pm On Jan 09, 2014
maximunimpact:

Assuming u have money in ur account I cud av begged u 2 stay, sinx u ar alredy a pest on my desk pls find attached closure form n fill lemme close it now sharp sharp!

You lacks the composure and decorum associated with bankers so I place you on my ignore list.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by cecegorz(m): 12:52pm On Jan 09, 2014
dotuna3: All they re doing is to help u. Is it not beta to de-activate ur ATM card than u losing a lot cash frm ur acct?. They re really doing u good cos in d process of ur card being trapped someone can ve access to ur card pin from dat bank u used their ATM and can make use of it. Here u re thinking of porting
You are just making a gross ignorant statement here.
Do you write your PIN on the card?
Are you aware that this policy means that you pay for a new card each time your card gets trapped? Do the math, use your brain this time.
Anyway, the Bank always WIN. Blame it on your CBN though. cheesy
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 09, 2014
centje: this access, together with MTN, they've made my life miserable with text messages angry
this people that likes your post do they like u or do they dislike you❔ your reply will be helpful.
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by iphoneloaded(m): 3:33pm On Jan 09, 2014
UnknownT: Op, I hope u have charged ur ba3 by now?

@topic, anoda avenue for them to milk customers cos they will still charge any customer for procuring a new atm card for d customer even when d deactivated card hasn't expired. Don't b surprised when they will deactivate someone's card and claim that the card was trapped too

Yes cheesy
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by iphoneloaded(m): 4:01pm On Jan 09, 2014
joshua idibia: C as ya ba3 dy low. hope u don charge nw.

Yes cheesy
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 09, 2014
kelahns: They are just looking for an avenue to make income since withdrawal from other banks' ATM don't attract charges anymore.

Blame it on CBN... smiley
Tchew, A typical Nigerian way of thinking. I hope you are using a bank that doesn't use this policy....if your card ever get trapped, I hope a 419 banker will clear your account for you....then your eyes go come down.

Cooldude001: Can't All Nigerian Banks Upgrade to Overseas Atm banking system whereby a person slot in & out of the Atm machine without fear of being stranded if card is trapped... angry
Your card get trapped when you enter a wrong pin! That's a good measure in a place like Nigeria filled with Nigerians, Thank you! angry
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by GentleFrank(m): 6:27pm On Jan 09, 2014
ok ooo
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by RexioKlasik(m): 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2014
Actually,its almost all d bankz,I bank with GTBANK and sum1 had such issue today wen ah went der,...tho ma card has neva been trapped b4 shaa...Lucky cos ma bank's Atm is close tu me..Wetin go carry me go anoda bank Atm?
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by RexioKlasik(m): 7:25pm On Jan 09, 2014
ßløøð: ALL BANKS ARE ADOPTING THIS MEASURE, please see below...

In line with international best practice and CBN E-PAYMENT DISPUTE ARBITRATION FRAMEWORK, kindly note the points below;

 All retracted cards should be rendered unusable.

 The CBN policy on card security states that “ liability arising in cases where a card is trapped in any ATM is to be borne by the acquirer for card present transactions whilst card is trapped.” This implies that the responsibility lies on the acquirer to protect and safe guard any such cards retracted on their terminal as any fraud on the card will be the liability of the acquirer.

Henceforth all cards that are none XXXXXXXX Bank cards should be destroyed (perforated) once they are trapped in the bank’s ATM.

could this be true Cus wen I was using an ATM der was sumfin like dis on its screen

"Retracted Cards Non Retrieveable and Invalid"
Re: Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs by YNWA(m): 8:28pm On Jan 09, 2014
gcfr.com:
bros I will gladly port cos of this poo, I've been using atms for years nw, and my atm has never been tampered with by any bank while its stuck.
Access bank is just looking for a way to exploit customers, cos surely they will ask you to pay for the new atm, or is it free

Ignorance wuldnt be an excuse...prevention is beta than cure. What they (access) ar doin is very valid n gud. It is for your own safety ONLY. If u neva ask, u will neva knw.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ahia Ohuru Market Aba On Fire (Video, Photo) / CBN Grants Wema Bank National License / Free Lessons On Mini-importation And Dropshipping For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.