Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Who Is Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is Jesus? (1104 Views)

Is Jesus Really God? / Is Jesus Relevant In Our Day? / Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Jesus? by Gamine(f): 10:21am On Aug 13, 2008
Great Religious Leader?

Did Jesus deserve the title of “great religious leader”? Surprisingly, Jesus never claimed to be a religious leader. He never got into religious politics or pushed an ambitious agenda, and he ministered almost entirely outside the established religious framework.

When one compares Jesus with the other great religious leaders, a remarkable distinction emerges. Ravi Zacharias, who grew up in a Hindu culture, has studied world religions and observed a fundamental distinction between other religious founders and Jesus Christ.

"Whatever we may make of their claims, one reality is inescapable. They are teachers who point to their teaching or show some particular way. In all of these, there emerges an instruction, a way of living. It is not Zoroaster to whom you turn; it is Zoroaster to whom you listen. It is not Buddha who delivers you; it is his Noble Truths that instruct you. It is not Mohammad who transforms you; it is the beauty of the Koran that woos you. By contrast, Jesus did not only teach or expound His message. He was identical with His message."

The truth of Zacharias’s point is underscored by the number of times in the Gospels that Jesus’ teaching message was simply “Come to me” or “Follow me” or “Obey me.” Also, Jesus made it clear that his primary mission was to forgive sins, something only God could do.

No other major religious leader ever claimed the power to forgive sins. But that is not the only claim Jesus made that separated him from the others. In The World’s Great Religions, Huston Smith observed, “Only two people ever astounded their contemporaries so much that the question they evoked was not ‘Who is he?’ but ‘What is he?’ They were Jesus and Buddha. The answers these two gave were exactly the opposite. Buddha said unequivocally that he was a mere man, not a god—almost as if he foresaw later attempts to worship him. Jesus, on the other hand, claimed … to be divine

http://y-jesus.com/jesuscomplex_4.php
Re: Who Is Jesus? by huxley(m): 11:07am On Aug 13, 2008
Jesus (if he existed) was a great impostor from Judea to whom extraordinary powers have been projected by this devoted followers. Almost everything we know about him as a real person was written down at least 30 years after his death, during which time a mythology or Christology about his life has already developed.

As to whether he was a good teacher, he clearly was not. Compared to Plato or Aristotle, Jesus was a dunce. Was it not Jesus who said he speaks in parable so that people would not understand? Would a good teacher deliberately obfuscate his message.

Matthew 13:

9Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

If Jesus was truly after everyone, why would he hide his message from some?

Supposing I claim to possess the power/ability to restore auras. What would this mean? Well, for this statement to make any sense the words "restore" and "aura" must have a well-founded definition that gives meaning in this context.

In other words, "aura" must be an entity that is capable of being "restored". This is similar to Jesus's claimed ability to "forgive sins". If Jesus claimed to be able to forgive sin, would could he be sure he really possess such powers?

Secondly, why does the power to forgive make him special? I have the ability to restore auras - does that make me a special individual?
Re: Who Is Jesus? by rampant(f): 11:09am On Aug 13, 2008
we hear you,onye ara
Re: Who Is Jesus? by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 13, 2008
Huxely thats a serious 'beef' you've got brewing up in that little mind of yours.
Re: Who Is Jesus? by Gamine(f): 11:29am On Aug 13, 2008
Restore which AURA

Jesus Came to Save,

Who did he hid his message from? because he used simpler terms with some people

Huxley, you have no argument
Re: Who Is Jesus? by huxley(m): 11:33am On Aug 13, 2008
Ujujoan:

Huxely thats a serious 'beef' you've got brewing up in that little mind of yours.

What do you mean? Don't understand!

Gamine:

Restore which AURA

Jesus Came to Save,

Who did he hid his message from? because he used simpler terms with some people

Huxley, you have no argument

You have not countered my arguments with arguments. You have simply made an unsubstantiated statement. Have you notice how my points are always backed with references to the bible or other sources or with analogies. Why are yours?
Re: Who Is Jesus? by nana(f): 11:36am On Aug 13, 2008
Jesus is The Way,The Truth,The Light and Life!
Re: Who Is Jesus? by huxley(m): 11:38am On Aug 13, 2008
nana:

Jesus is The Way,The Truth,The Light and Life!

Why should no believe this? In fact, it is wrong. Sussicorn (Respect) is the Truth not Jesus.
Re: Who Is Jesus? by Gamine(f): 11:38am On Aug 13, 2008
Huxley i could back everything i say with scriptures

i dont have the time you have.

One, You said he hid his message, how?

Two, Your comparing Forgiving Sins to Restoring Auras, what is that
Re: Who Is Jesus? by rampant(f): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2008
huxley:

Why should no believe this?  In fact, it is wrong.  Sussicorn (Respect) is the Truth not Jesus.

Sussicorn?is it d same sussicorn dat has a root to his birth?MY GOD has no root to his existence,it still remains a mystery till thy kingdom come,dat is the only God i respect and he is the same true God
Re: Who Is Jesus? by nana(f): 11:41am On Aug 13, 2008
huxley:

Why should no believe this? In fact, it is wrong. Sussicorn (Respect) is the Truth not Jesus.
Hmm,i guess are beliefs differ. Can't argue with u. I said what i was brought up with.
It's obvious u're an antichrist.
Re: Who Is Jesus? by huxley(m): 11:47am On Aug 13, 2008
Gamine:

Huxley i could back everything i say with scriptures

i don't have the time you have.

One, You said he hid his message, how?

Two, Your comparing Forgiving Sins to Restoring Auras, what is that

Can you explain to me what the following verses mean;

Matt 10:

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Matt 24:

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

If you don't understand what "restoring aura" means I similarly don't understand what "forgiving sins" mean.
Re: Who Is Jesus? by Gamine(f): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2008
Matthew 10 and Matthew 24

a. Do not go into the way of the Gentiles: This is the pattern of the gospel - it is for the Jew first and also for the Greek (Romans 1:16). Later, the gospel would go to both the Samaritans and the Gentiles, but it had to begin with the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

b. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel: God’s intention was to reach the whole world, but beginning with Israel. There was certainly enough work to do among the lost sheep of the house of Israel to keep the twelve busy until God directly commanded them to expand their ministry.

Forgiving Sins is in the bible, if you like Claim not knowing.
Re: Who Is Jesus? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 13, 2008
@Huxley

It's a pity, you can never and will never understand the mystery behind this Supreme being called: God except He chooses to reveal it to you!. The gap between the finite YOU [huxley] and HIM is infinte. . . .He is mystery personified.

If He wills, He might have mercy and reveal Himself to you just as He did to Paul on his way to damascus. . . .! (maybe you should drop all these baseless arguments of yours. . . .because alot of others have done this before and gone nowhere with it)

Who can understand His errors? Cleanse Thou me from secret faults. Psalm 19:12.

Keep back thy servant also from presumptous sins, let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. Ps 19:13

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my hearts, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my strenght, and my Redeemer. Ps. 19:14

Regrds!
Re: Who Is Jesus? by PastorAIO: 12:55pm On Aug 13, 2008
Huxley Huxley, the great Sussicornian.  O prophet of Sussicornity, may I attempt to answer your question.
huxley:

As to whether he was a good teacher, he clearly was not. Compared to Plato or Aristotle, Jesus was a dunce. Was it not Jesus who said he speaks in parable so that people would not understand?  Would a good teacher deliberately obfuscate his message.

Matthew 13:

9Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

If Jesus was truly after everyone, why would he hide his message from some?

My brother, imagine that I want to teach you to draw.  You have minimal artistic ability.  First, I am aware that artistic ability stems from the Right lobe of the brain and not the left lobe.  Yet I also know that the left lobe is dominant in most people and has more influence over behaviour and skills.  Therefore in the process of teaching you art I have to find a way to distract the left brain and engage the right.  
The modus operandi of the left brain is to name and categorise things without proper consideration for the contours and unique shape of the things.  So if presented with a face it just sees 'a nose, two eyes, two ears, two lips below the nose, and a frightfully big head.'  The right brain however notices the curve of the (nose) and the way that blends into the curve of the (forehead) which has a rather interesting angle to the rather sudden projection of a 3 inch (afro).  This kind of perception is what a artist needs to draw.  How then do you confound the left brain to the point that it loses interest in the face thereby allowing the right brain to do it's work.  
One technique used by Art teachers is to get the students to draw the picture of an upside down face.  when the face is upside down it is not so easy for the left brain to name and dismiss the various features.  What the artist is then left with is a load of lines and contours which he can then faithfully reproduce on his paper.  After the class when the drawing is turned back the right way up we find that we've achieved a similitude to the photograph that is often beyond our normal artistic ability.  

Now consider that Jesus too was trying to engage with a normally unused aspect of our being.  If he used a direct rhetoric the human understanding would seize on it and interpret it in all kinds of ways that ultimately misconstrue the whole point of what he is saying.  Therefore it would be necessary to distract and confound the human understanding so that another faculty can come into play.  Those who have developed these faculties can grasp what he has termed a mystery.  Yet those who do not have it will only flounder and rightly so because it is better to be confused and mystified than to get the wrong end of the stick completely.  On more than one occasion Jesus made it clear that things of the kingdom of heaven require another faculty to understand.  It was this faculty that Jesus was concerned with engaging.  You can involve yourself with all sorts of cerebral gymnastics and clever argumentation, and I, for one, am quite fond of such, but the fact is that seeing, you will not see, and hearing, you will not hear.  Enjoy your brain but be aware of it's limitations.

Ologbon kan o le ta koko omi si eti aso
No wise man is wise enough to tie a knot of water on the fringe of his cloth
Moran moran kan o le ka iye eepe ile
No one is so knowledgeable to know the number of grains of sand on the earth
Ki a moran moran, ki a mo ponna pelu
So let us gather knowledge but let us be aware of the limitations of knowledge

-The King of Edu
Re: Who Is Jesus? by olabowale(m): 3:13pm On Aug 13, 2008
@Pastor AIO:

Now consider that Jesus too was trying to engage with a normally unused aspect of our being. If he used a direct rhetoric the human understanding would seize on it and interpret it in all kinds of ways that ultimately misconstrue the whole point of what he is saying. Therefore it would be necessary to distract and confound the human understanding so that another faculty can come into play. Those who have developed these faculties can grasp what he has termed a mystery. Yet those who do not have it will only flounder and rightly so because it is better to be confused and mystified than to get the wrong end of the stick completely. On more than one occasion Jesus made it clear that things of the kingdom of heaven require another faculty to understand. It was this faculty that Jesus was concerned with engaging. You can involve yourself with all sorts of cerebral gymnastics and clever argumentation, and I, for one, am quite fond of such, but the fact is that seeing, you will not see, and hearing, you will not hear. Enjoy your brain but be aware of it's limitations.

Ologbon kan o le ta koko omi si eti aso
No wise man is wise enough to tie a knot of water on the fringe of his cloth
Moran moran kan o le ka iye eepe ile
No one is so knowledgeable to know the number of grains of sand on the earth
Ki a moran moran, ki a mo ponna pelu
So let us gather knowledge but let us be aware of the limitations of knowledge

-The King of Edu

Gbere omo Oduduwa. I am certain that Oduduwa is not truly your father, since he has been dead for many hundreds of years, without preserving his semen to be used in the pregnancy of anyone alive, today. You will see how Mary the mother of jesus was called the sister of Aaron. You hear me Queenisha.

Now, PastorAIO, apply the same process above with each prophet; Moses and Muhammad. Read their materials.

(1) (Reply)

The Number one Sign Of A False Church / Christmas Is Religious Adultery; 25th Dec. Isn't Jesus' Bday / A Pastor’s Business Empire - Newswatch Magazine Review Of Chris Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.