Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,254 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners (8856 Views)

Poll: In your opinion, this transfer is:

Good for Arsenal: 61% (33 votes)
Bad For Arsenal: 38% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance / Mikel & Ogude Are Suspended For The Ivory Coast Match? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 10:21pm On Aug 20, 2008
Breaking News Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by mukina2: 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2008
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 10:35pm On Aug 20, 2008
Hey ya epele ooooo
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4020270,00.html
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 10:49pm On Aug 20, 2008
Gunners; shebi una Baba (Wenger) say him no dey sign players above 30. hmmm for Fellow Red Devils fans; next time you see Silvestre he would be wearing no 18 jersey for one of baby rivals; Arsenal FC.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by xheggs(m): 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2008
good for arsernal
its not like he was much useful to us(Man Utd).
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2008
The dud is not too bad and can play several positions but he's simply no more man utd quality again.Of course u dont expect him to bench players like Vidic, Ferdinand, Wes Brown n the others
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by 9ja4eva: 11:03pm On Aug 20, 2008
Good for Arsenal.

We have Rafael and his twin.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by lawyer(m): 11:05pm On Aug 20, 2008
I just read it on sky sports and it is totally a demoralizing story to say the least. All the arguments profered by Wenger doesnt hold any water what so ever. The talk of him being a replacement for justin Hoyte is just like jumping from Frying pan to fire. His experience that he is supposed to bring runs short of lunacy because he wasnt even first choice in Manutd.

The most irritating aspect of it is that he was bought directly from our rivals Manutd which is totally sickening and to make matters worse, he is been handed over the jersey number "18' which was Paschal CYGAN'S number. undecided

Boy its going to be a long season!

Anyway just heard a rumour from a friend close to the arsenal corporation that the last player we would be buying would be stephen Appiah! Guess this is the experienced set Wenger promised us, pssff!
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 11:16pm On Aug 20, 2008
E b like sey wenger don dey confused ooo,
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by lawyer(m): 11:25pm On Aug 20, 2008
From Arsenal.com Breaking news:

Arsenal announce signing of Mikael Silvestre
Arsenal has today signed French defender Mikael Silvestre on a two year deal having joined the Gunners from Manchester United for an undisclosed fee.

Silvestre (31), an experienced and versatile player, has been with Manchester United since 1999 winning a host of domestic honours including four Premier League titles, one FA Cup winner’s medal and a League Cup winner’s medal. Silvestre was also part of the UEFA Champions League winning side of 2008 and made a total of 361 appearances for the Manchester side, scoring 10 goals.

Silvestre, who debuted for French national side in 2001, has also made a total of 40 appearances for Les Bleus. Highlights of his international career so far are winning the Confederations Cup in both 2001 and 2003 and reaching the World Cup Final in 2006.

Mikael said on signing for the Gunners: “I’ve spent a large part of my career at United, the last nine years, and I’ll remember that time fondly but feel I’m ready for a new challenge. Arsenal is known for playing technical and skilful football, and has a young but experienced squad. I’m really excited about this next stage of my career, hopefully playing my part in helping the Club to new successes.”

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said: “We have a strong squad but a young squad and Mikael’s versatility, experience and calibre will provide the extra depth we need to reinforce our challenge for honours this season. His defensive adaptability will serve us well and it’s a big plus that Mikael has top level experience and a great understanding of football in the Premier League.”

Mikael will join up with his team-mates immediately and will wear shirt number 18.

[Wednesday, August 20, 2008]
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by webpro(m): 11:39pm On Aug 20, 2008
the player is gud and has lots of experience. But since he is not featuring for United first 11, it is gud that he is sold out. i believe he will be influential to the gunners team wit his experiencies. I will miss him because he is my best defender in PS2 soccer.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by McKren(m): 11:49pm On Aug 20, 2008
I am honestly not sure what this transfer is all about

I hope Wenger has seen something we are not seeing

I am a Man Utd fan though
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by hoodcorp: 2:24am On Aug 21, 2008
well what the heck are people problem, u can do anything i mean almost nothing
2 please anyone.am not excusing wenger ideal but the man is entitle to his just
like anybody silvestre or not.remember the is a man that is repute 4 resurrectin
some players football career u bet. so abeg u guys pls leave him alone
shikena
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by davidif: 3:54am On Aug 21, 2008
wooooooooooooooooooooooow shocked shocked shocked, i am so stunned by this news.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by ehie007(m): 7:14am On Aug 21, 2008
All good for sylcester, i wish him well, at least he will make arsenal a better team, but not as good as The Champs ManUtd.

At least again wenger has decided to bu experience players.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by prince84(m): 7:19am On Aug 21, 2008
hahhahahahahah, the decline of arsenal has truly been confirmed by this signing.

first stingy wenger sells his best players, hleb,flamini,hoyte

he buys players that have past there prime and are no longer useful to there teams
gallas and silvestre, heard he is still chasing that liverpool reject, forgot his name.

next stop for arsenal, JJ Okocha, reason by wenger, we are looking for experience!!!!!!

gunners lacking bullets ehh

the premiership will be a two horse race Chelsea and ManU.

Blues 4ever
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by Bamiprof(m): 7:40am On Aug 21, 2008
I feel its a good signins for the club, and he just preparing for midseason when the likes of clinchy(a good player) start to get into their groove of making defensive mistake and not to forget gallas(agbero no1)
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by Bamiprof(m): 7:45am On Aug 21, 2008
;d
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by MrCrackles(m): 8:44am On Aug 21, 2008
I would say this is a good acquisition

Even though he his over 30, he still has a good 2-3yrs in him for a defensive player, i now hope we can accomodate and utilize him effectively

No doubt, he his coming with massive experience, he would help the youngsters grow quicker and he would provide much needed cover

What i am pondering now is how are we going to play him, Gallas and Toure in the same back four?

I was thinking Sagna is fine for right back, Clichy alrite for left back, and i would have loved a Gallas-Silvestre centre back pairing but Toure is immense!
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by olekus(m): 9:05am On Aug 21, 2008
what has become of arsenal and wenger? silvestre has the record of being the most calamitous left back in top flight premiership. he single handedly worked the exit of roy caroll and tim howard from united by his calamitous defending. anyways its good news. i hope he makes first team so teams like chelsea, united, liverpool and others have a pefect weaklink to exploit.

i wish him an astounding "goners" career.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by dudubobo1: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2008
many guys here can only see the fact that Silvestre does not play first team football for mannonsense again.
I think he's a good signing for Arsenal because at the moment there is absolutely little or no cover for any injury to either Kolo or Gallas. For those beefing Gallas, almost every football pundit agrees that he is one of the best defenders in England. You can sit at home and write what you like when you dont even understand what football is about.
Wenger, an acclaimed manager, signs Gallas and makes him captain but you who cannot even manage your family football team say Gallas is not good. biko meshionu
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 9:30am On Aug 21, 2008
dudu-bobo:

many guys here can only see the fact that Silvestre does not play first team football for mannonsense again.
I think he's a good signing for Arsenal because at the moment there is absolutely little or no cover for any injury to either Kolo or Gallas. For those beefing Gallas, almost every football pundit agrees that he is one of the best defenders in England. You can sit at home and write what you like when you don't even understand what football is about.
Wenger, an acclaimed manager, signs Gallas and makes him captain but you who cannot even manage your family football team say Gallas is not good. biko meshionu

Dey decieve yourself and who you be sef ; Show your colour!!!!
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by chioya(f): 9:48am On Aug 21, 2008
*strolls in, sits down and keeps staring at pple in the thread* lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by SamMilla1(m): 9:50am On Aug 21, 2008
WENGER WENGER.

WETIN HE WON TAKE SILVESTER DO.
WELL SOMEONE HAS TO STAY ON THE BENCH WHILE THE MATCH IS IN PROGRESS.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 9:55am On Aug 21, 2008
chioya:

*strolls in, sits down and keeps staring at people in the thread* lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

nawa oooo
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by dudubobo1: 9:55am On Aug 21, 2008
SAM MILLA:

WENGER WENGER.

We are not likely to get any other top defender who'll be willing to sit on the bench so Mikael is a good choice from that point of view.
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 9:56am On Aug 21, 2008
SAM MILLA:

WENGER WENGER.

Na the kain quality and experience wey Wenger dey find since be that, Hmmm
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by Ibomade2: 9:59am On Aug 21, 2008
All this French Connection in Arsenal

I tire ooo !!!
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 10:00am On Aug 21, 2008
femzy:

Na the kain quality and experience wey Wenger dey find since be that, Hmmm

For Arsenal; he could be regarded top notch but not for title contenders like United or Blues,
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by femzy(m): 10:02am On Aug 21, 2008
Ibo_made:

All this French Connection in Arsenal

I tire ooo !!!

Chai see mumu me sef; i no see am from that kain view since ooo, Na the correct perpective behind the deal be that,
Me sef dey wonder, Abeg thread closed
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by Xtremeshok: 10:20am On Aug 21, 2008
This is TOTALLY FRENCH CONNECTION DRIVE, sylvetre is one of the worst left backs in the EPL, dunno why wenger got him. free SALARY
Re: Breaking News: Mikel Silvestre Joins Gunners by Maxidoe(m): 10:51am On Aug 21, 2008
For me this is not a good buy,cos if we need to buy a defender,its either a defensive midfielder or a center back,and if we are buying a center back he must be better than Toure and Gallas or atleast better than useless and inconsistent Gallas.I know the reason we bought him even at that age is cos he is very cheap,no other reason,as far as am concerned he is not a positive addittion to our shaky center back,cos for the flanks we are more than okay.Whatever am still a GUNNER for life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I’m Not Nigerian Sports’ Problem – Dalung / Should Siasia Be Sacked Or Not / LASPARK Partners Red Bull On Alausa Basketball Court Upgrade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.